Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR May FB2] Blackwood's Lodgings, Port Woodhouse

Sterling Blackwood stepped out of his newly acquired lodgings and paused to take in his surroundings. The ex-Captain of Marines had recently arrived in the administrative capital of the Paradise Isles which had it's own distinctive style that made it quite unique among Corlander settlements in the new world. Smaller and quieter than it's large and bustling neighbours of Jameston and Mesabi Landing, Port Woodhouse's buildings were mainly built in the stucco style commonly associated with Mardier or Eslandola in the old world. The style suited Garma's Key, with less rainfall it was dryer and not as humid as Celestia or Cascadia, and the low lying island was able to take full advantage of the cool sea breeze in the evenings.

27596798487_afa330f85b_c.jpg

The lodging's themselves were a simply affair, and quite adequate for Blackwood to base himself out of. Not that he intended on spending much time in the settlement - Blackwood had arrived looking for adventure. Rumours of a Corlander expedition into the uncharted East seas had brought him here. At 27, the young Corlander - in fact a distant relative of Colonial Governor Sir Dirk Allcock (although he had never met the man) - was already a veteran of Corrington's colonial expansion.

Originally Blackwood had joined the army, serving as a subaltern in the 51st Regiment of Foot before transferring to a Captaincy in the Marines. Some said the transfer was the result of the young officer seeking adventure in the new colonies, some attributed it to a rumoured affair with the Colonels daughter... whatever the reason, Blackwood had taken to life at sea as a Marine. Already a master with the sword, it was at this time he discarded his regulation cutlass for an older fashioned rapier. Also, much to the horror of his fellow officers, he learnt musket drill like a common marine, achieving an impressive four shots a minute! Such eccentricities did not hinder his performance and Blackwood was mentioned in dispatches several times after violent skirmishes. However, the marines held no longer term allure for the young officer, he yearned for life outside the strict regimented structure of the military and so he recently resigned his commission as a Captain of Marines. Again rumours were whispered in the colonies - this time there was talk of a duel with a rich gentlemen in Arlinsport... Blackwood is now his own man, looking to make his own name and fortune outside the military in the exploration of the east. Time will tell how successful he will be...

42416640652_906cbedef5_c.jpg

A build to introduce an new adventurer character for me, and kind of a easing back into physical building after my recent hiatus!

If this is you easing back into building, I can't wait to see what you build after you're fully back! :laugh: Great looking build and new character!

Absolutely fantastic. The gate and the wall match the colonial style perfectly. Impressive.

Really like the slant on the lower leaves of the palm tree, and you've got the perfect amount of weathered detailing in the walls!  Great job on the roof too, those corners can be tricky but you pulled it off fairly well! :thumbup: 

WOW *huh*

Well, I don't know if something more could be added

So I will borrow Elo's one

4 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Absolutely fantastic. The gate and the wall match the colonial style perfectly. Impressive.

Not much left to say indeed. :pir-grin:

Great to have you back with the bricks. A wonderful build, full of character. :thumbup:

How is that musket fixed to Blackwood? A picture of his backside would be nice.

That's an impressive build and a really nice way to introduce your new character. I particularly like the roof design, and this just further convinces me that I'll have to get some of those round pieces for myself. 

Great to see another build from you, nice scene, I like your floor, the mansion with white walls and red roof look good too,

Thank you all for the comments! It is nice to be back building! Expect to see some more of this style from me over the next couple of month as it's one I really enjoy and would like to do more.

9 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

those corners can be tricky but you pulled it off fairly well! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai, I'm pretty sure they took more time than the rest of the build all together! I tried to do the same over the archway, but gave up after several frustrating hours!

6 hours ago, Drunknok said:

How is that musket fixed to Blackwood? A picture of his backside would be nice.

It's not very elegant... but here it is :pir-classic:

40679052400_21966bda74.jpg

5 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

I'll have to get some of those round pieces for myself. 

My advice would be to order way more than you think you'll need, I always seem to go through far more than I expect to starting out!

2 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

It's not very elegant... but here it is :pir-classic:

40679052400_21966bda74.jpg

Maybe not elegant, but clever! Great idea, I will try to keep it in mind. Thanks a lot. :thumbup:

Its aweful just an eyesore ... Needs condemed at once! 

Just kidding it really is a great build I like how you've included the central bath tub .... Er um reflecting pool thats it.  

In all seriousness the musket attachment worked quite well as long as you mind the camera angle.

I would love to see a short how to on your hip style clay roof.