SheldonF

Creator Expert Cars - Rumors, Discussion, and Speculation

I assumed it was a Spectre DB10 at very first glance given the 007 Twitter stuff.

But yeah, you're right..the front skirt suggests a Vanquish.

Disappointing.

Can someone translate what the text is saying? I admit, it does look like the front of a Vanquish, but maybe the silhouette is not of the actual set and just a stand in.

If that stand-in silhouette is indeed reflective of what we're going to see, I'm certainly surprised. It seemed to me that Creator Expert automobile sets from here on were going to be based upon classics while the "Expert" Technic line were going to handle modern/current models. 

I'm still interested to see how this modern Aston will turn out, but I guess I was kinda hoping for a classic one.

5 hours ago, julesvincent said:

Can someone translate what the text is saying? I admit, it does look like the front of a Vanquish, but maybe the silhouette is not of the actual set and just a stand in.

Someone posted in the Licensed James Bond thread...apparently reads "Limited Model - Coming Soon"

I really hope the silhouette is just a placeholder but I doubt it. Given the licensing agreement, to then use it for something other than the iconic DB5 from Goldfinger (reappearing for more than a cameo 50-odd years later in Skyfall) would be an epic fail and a massive missed commercial opportunity.

Edited by Lucarex

DB5 would be a day 1 buy. A more modern or current Aston is less appealing and doesn't really jive with the Creator car trend or classic vehicles.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:03 PM, Leewan said:

Since the James Bond Twitter account replied to Lego's initial tweet shortly after Aston Martin, I seriously doubt that.

That is what I thought after that tweet, but it seems not now.

4 hours ago, CDM said:

A more modern or current Aston is less appealing and doesn't really jive with the Creator car trend or classic vehicles.

Exactly, as modern models seem to better suit the Technic theme instead.

6 hours ago, CDM said:

DB5 would be a day 1 buy. A more modern or current Aston is less appealing and doesn't really jive with the Creator car trend or classic vehicles.

Even leaving aside the obvious Bond appeal, the harder lines of the beautiful DB5 would also be easier to create as a more distinctive and accurate build in brick form, compared to the more generic and curvaceous lines of its modern descendants like the DB9/DBS/Vanquish. 

I guess we'll find out soon enough. Preparing to be disappointed, hoping to be pleasantly surprised

Edited by Lucarex

I'm wondering if that silhouette image is just a generic Aston Martin image they've used and not a literal silhouette of the new set.

Obviously it's impossible to tell but the shaping of that graphic they've used doesn't even look to me as if it's the outline of something made from lego.

So I think there is still hopefully a good chance that the new set will end up being a DB5.

10 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

More teasers have been released relating to the James bond lego project. Could it feature an ejector seat?

https://www.thebrickfan.com/more-lego-james-bond-aston-martin-teasers/

Both teasers seem to suggest the DB5:

The first one is from Goldfinger:

[Q explains the devices on Bond's Aston Martin DB5] 
Q: Now this one I'm particularly keen about. You see the gear lever here? [points to transmission lever] Now, if you take the top off, you will find a little red button. Whatever you do, don't touch it. 
Bond: Yeah, why not? 
Q: Because you'll release [points out roof] this section of the roof, and engage and then fire the passenger ejector seat. Whish! 
Bond: Ejector seat? You're joking! 
Q: I never joke about my work, 007. [Bond falls silent]

The second one from Skyfall:

[Bond opens a garage door to reveal his Aston Martin DB5]
M: Oh, and I suppose that's completely inconspicuous.
Bond: Get in. 

Any more doubts this is a DB5? Sam's words, teasers with quotes from scenes where the car is... I attempted building one some time ago and it easily became too bulky; like Lego's Mini. I honestly really hope they can translate nicely the slim nifty look the DB5 has. I wouldn't be surprised if this set were shorter than the others, a bit taller than the F40 and as skinny as the Beetle. I'm also curious how they'll translate the healights, the same round tray+transparent dish combo they did for the Mini and the Beetle? Seems the most likely.

I'm glad to hear that this looks to be more like a DB5 instead, as I would've been somewhat disappointed if the Creator theme were to break tradition by introducing a more modern model instead. 

By the way, does anyone have a copy of this book from 2008? I remember picking it up at my local library years ago, and there was an excerpt I recall stating that 10187 Volkswagen Beetle was a top fan choice among a selection Lego offered to vote for as to which automobile they'd like to see done for TLG's fiftieth anniversary. The four models I remember that were voted upon were of the Beetle, a classic Ford Mustang, the Aston Martin DB5, and one other car I don't recall. :shrug_confused:

7 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The four models I remember that were voted upon were of the Beetle, a classic Ford Mustang, the Aston Martin DB5, and one other car I don't recall. :shrug_confused:

The missing car was a Delorean DMC-12.

42 minutes ago, legophisto said:

Really! :oh:

Well, if we're only now getting ourselves a DB5, but with Bond touches, perhaps we'll see that classic Mustang and DeLorean sometime down the road here. Also, seeing how they're seemingly taking after the DB5 (presumably) from the James Bond franchise, perhaps potential sets for a Mustang and a DMC-12 will be taking after the Bullitt fastback and The Back to the Future time machine, respectively. :shrug_oh_well:

By the way, is there any online source for that information you mentioned besides the book I referred to?

Edit: Regarding that last question, never mind, as I did find one link with pictures even!

A Modular Life - Blast from the past... and a MOC 

aston_martin_1.jpg?w=300&h=225mustang_1.jpg?w=300&h=225delorean_1.jpg?w=300&h=225beetle_4.jpg?w=300&h=225

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Although I’m a big/massive bond fan (spy who loved me is my favourite) I actually hope that the car is a standard DB5 and not with the modifications or at least can be built in either bond or standard form. All the other vehicles are normal vehicles not “fantasy” ones and I hope the creator line doesn’t go down that route

Just now, Seasider said:

Although I’m a big/massive bond fan (spy who loved me is my favourite) I actually hope that the car is a standard DB5 and not with the modifications or at least can be built in either bond or standard form.

Like a Two-in-One Expert set of sorts? Ya know, that could be kinda cool! :thumbup:

Am I imagining it or is there a precedent in the BTTF DeLorean, where you can adapt the car to reflect either the first film or the sequel? Been years since I built the set and instructions are in storage.

You’re right The BTTF Delorean set makes all 3 versions of the car. But that’s on a mid-scale, far smaller than the Creator vehicles

And that's because the initial Cuusoo project included the three versions, IIRC. They "had" to include this feature, since it was part of the project people voted for.

Now, given the (presumed) scale of the (presumed) car, wouldn't they be able to easily hide the spy gadgets they want to include ?

What specifically are those spy gadgets anyway? Would they really impact the look of the car in a significant way?

EDIT: after researching a bit, some functions (the machine guns, rear shield and ejector seat) seem like they could really affect the shape of the vehicle, so I hope that either TLC cuts down on those or that they manage the way to make them work.

Edited by Kaanere

12 hours ago, legophisto said:

By the way, it is interesting that the prototype model shown below for voting selection was done up as the BTTF time machine, and not simply as a normal DMC-12. I mean, did they really intend to give us our first BTTF licensed set all the way back then in 2008? :oh:

delorean_1.jpg?w=700&h=