SheldonF

Creator Expert Cars - Rumors, Discussion, and Speculation

I apologize if there's already a place for this, if so please let me know. 

I know it's around this time of the year that Lego announces the new Creator Car but has there been any hint on what it might be? I can't find any resources online. 

I've been wondering if there are any solid rumors about the next creator expert car as well. As far as I know there haven't been any clues yet but my guess is it won't necessarily be a car.

I think they'll do another iconic public transport vehicle like the London bus. Not sure what exactly but maybe a San fransisco tram or something like that.

Or maybe even a new creator expert train. We haven't had one of those for a while.

6 hours ago, SheldonF said:

I apologize if there's already a place for this, if so please let me know. 

If anything, I think most discussion of the Creator Expert automobile line (preceding each set's official press release) usually takes place in the general Creator discussion topic for that year. That what I remembered was the case with last year's London Bus, whereas the discussion then moved over to the official press release topic when that set was announced by TLG.

I would like to see an F1 car from the manufacturers that already have a license with Lego. So the McLaren that Senna drive or Villeneuve's Ferrari. That look great in a Creator Expert set.

1 hour ago, Flossie said:

I would like to see an F1 car from the manufacturers that already have a license with Lego. So the McLaren that Senna drive or Villeneuve's Ferrari. That look great in a Creator Expert set.

I've wanted an 80s McLaren or Williams for a very long time, but that involves stickering it with tobacco companies' logos, a move I seriously doubt Lego would make. As for some other racing cars I'd love, the Mazda 787B is a clear favourite, but I doubt there's much love for it for the non-hardcore fans. As a non-racing car a good DB5 with all sorts of gadgets might be fun or a really old 1910-20 car, an Alfa or a Mercedes.

I moved this thread from Town; generally CREATOR that is not modular buildings or houses goes in Special.

Hey @SheldonF, get this: Apparently the designer for the upcoming LEGO Ideas Pop-Up Book had this to say regarding the rejection of the Jaguar E-Type Roadster project in a new interview:

New ElementaryLEGO® IDEAS POP-UP BOOK: EXCLUSIVE SAMUEL JOHNSON INTERVIEW

We love the car as well, but unfortunately it clashed with another product that we have coming, without saying too much. I’d personally never heard of the Christmas Story before, but just reading the comments and the online stuff about it, I realised that there’s a massive fan base. Again, it was hard for us to say no - after all, 10,000 people said ‘yeah, I’d buy that.

Bottom line is, I think that may at least be confirmation that we'll see another Creator Expert car this year! :wink:

P.S. By the way, what do you think about changing the subject of this topic to one dealing with the Creator Expert automobile line in a broader sense, as opposed to just the year 2018? Over on the Town subforum, there are general discussion topics for the Modular Building and Fairground lines, but I don't think there's yet a general discussion topic for the Creator Expert automobile line. :classic:

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey @SheldonF, get this: Apparently the designer for the upcoming LEGO Ideas Pop-Up Book had this to say regarding the rejection of the Jaguar E-Type Roadster project in a new interview:

New ElementaryLEGO® IDEAS POP-UP BOOK: EXCLUSIVE SAMUEL JOHNSON INTERVIEW

Bottom line is, I think that may at least be confirmation that we'll see another Creator Expert car this year! :wink:

P.S. By the way, what do you think about changing the subject of this topic to one dealing with the Creator Expert automobile line in a broader sense, as opposed to just the year 2018? Over on the Town subforum, there are general discussion topics for the Modular Building and Fairground lines, but I don't think there's yet a general discussion topic for the Creator Expert automobile line. :classic:

Ohh Nice! I never saw that. That's very interesting. I saw that the Jag got rejected but I never saw why. I figured they would do something Japanese or American since everything seems to be European. I love the creator cars ( and the Technic ones as well) so this excited me. And absolutely, A creator Expert car thread to capture all would be a much better idea!

Thank you!

19 minutes ago, SheldonF said:

I figured they would do something Japanese or American since everything seems to be European. 

I've always felt that European brands and/or source material were chosen for their broader appeal, as perhaps American and Japanese brands may alienate other global audiences. :shrug_confused:

The July store calendar has now been revealed.

Spoiler

July 2018 LEGO Store Calendar

It mentions that from July 18th there will be exclusive VIP early access to a mystery d2c set.

My guess is that this could be the new creator car. The timing is about the same as last year's London bus release.

Edited by Bricked1980

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

It mentions that from July 18th there will be exclusive VIP early access to a mystery d2c set.

My guess is that this could be the new creator car. The timing is about the same as last year's London bus release.

Unless there are any other D2C sets expected on the horizon for this year (some UCS Star Wars set perhaps?), that could very well be our second confirmation of a Creator Expert automobile set for this year. :classic:

On 6/1/2018 at 8:02 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I've always felt that European brands and/or source material were chosen for their broader appeal, as perhaps American and Japanese brands may alienate other global audiences. :shrug_confused:

So an American brand car might alienate non-Americans.  And an Asian brand car might alienate non-Asians.  I don't agree with the logic, but let's go with it.  So why would a European brand car appeal to everyone?  Would it not alienate non-Europeans?  Are you assuming European brands are universally loved while other regional brands are offensive to rest of the world?

If I were to give a good guess as to what our Creator Expert automobile set may be for this year, I'd figure it would be either a classic Porsche of some type or a classic Mack truck. We've already seen a few larger sets based upon VW Group automobiles (VW Bus, VW Beetle, Technic Porsche, Technic Chiron), and given Creator Expert's propensity for classic cars as opposed to current models, a classic Mack truck would be another good opportunity to utilize the license for that brand first used for the Technic Mack Anthem.

8 hours ago, wooster said:

So an American brand car might alienate non-Americans.  And an Asian brand car might alienate non-Asians.  I don't agree with the logic, but let's go with it.  So why would a European brand car appeal to everyone?  Would it not alienate non-Europeans?  

I guess "alienate" was perhaps to strong of a word, but seeing how many of these automobile sets for both Creator and Technic have leaned towards European brands so far, I was only figuring that those brands were found by TLG to have a better chance of broader marketability on a global scale over others.

8 hours ago, wooster said:

Are you assuming European brands are universally loved while other regional brands are offensive to rest of the world?

I was only figuring that the prior part of your statement may possibly be the case, but in no way did I think that the others would be seen as offensive. :look:

Well at least Lego has licenses via speed champions for ford and Chevy; I don’t see anything Japanese in the lineup currently.

even euro is pretty limited once you get past VAG and Ferrari: Mercedes, McLaren, BMW/mini.

I wouldn’t object to an updated 5571, but if the jag comment is on point, maybe something like a MB SL or Nissan S30.

Two other automobile brands I could see being utilized by the Creator Expert theme would be for BMW and Volvo, which have so far only been utilized by the Technic theme. With BMW, I'd wish to see either a 507 Roadster or a 328, while a P1800 Coupe for Volvo would certainly be a beauty. :classic:

I would love to see an E36 M3, but at this point it's just wishlisting cars we like. Realistically I'd assume it's something that already has a license with it. I doubt it will be a Supercar since they have the Ferrari already. Given that they've covered British, Italian, and German vehicles, I wonder if they'll change it up. I believe July will be the Creator car as well. Something 4 door or station wagon as mentioned above would be really cool. I don't think lego has released a 4 door car in a long time, not even in the technic line.

Personally, I would love to see a Lamborghini, particularly a modern one. It would be intriguing to see how a Lamborghini's signature forms would be replicated in LEGO. Moreover, given that the Ferrari was just recently retired, there would be an opening for another sports car in the lineup.

10 hours ago, Samed5 said:

Personally, I would love to see a Lamborghini, particularly a modern one.

I sort of feel that modern cars are going to be unofficially assigned to flagship Technic sets like this year's Bugatti Chiron and last year's 911, while the Creator Expert line may deal only with classics.

10 hours ago, SheldonF said:

I would love to see an E36 M3, but at this point it's just wishlisting cars we like.

As far as mere wishlisting goes, there is this topic. :wink:

I see two possibilities,

1) Some kind of convertible, likely more vintage in age. We haven't had any convertible based off of a real branded car in this lineup yet as far as I know, and it would certainly be a change from the London Bus of last year. 

2) The beetle had a beach theme and the Mini had a picnic theme, I'd really love to see a car or perhaps SUV return with the outdoorsy theme, such as with bikes, camping (would have worked well for the VW Bus), kayaks etc.

11 hours ago, VBBN said:

Some kind of convertible, likely more vintage in age. We haven't had any convertible based off of a real branded car in this lineup yet as far as I know, and it would certainly be a change from the London Bus of last year. 

This could be a more likely possibility, given the recent statement the designer of the upcoming Ideas Pop-up Book set had mentioned regarding their reasons for the rejection of the Jaguar E-Type project. :wink:

Didn't you notice a pattern? VW, english, italian, VW, english...

Moreover, one of many leaks reported a box as big as London bus one. Maybe NY firetruck?

Actually I am not unhappy that the ideas Jaguar was not approved. Considering it is 20 studs wide it does not look too good and would not fit next to the Creator Expert range. As much as I am hoping for a European classic car I feel it is time for an American car this time like Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Corvette or a Cadillac. But I am really hoping we will get a car at least and not some other kind of vehicle because imho the London bus is by far the worst among the Creator Expert vehicle sets.

22 hours ago, carlo.fadel said:

Moreover, one of many leaks reported a box as big as London bus one.

Wait, what leak? :distressed:

21 hours ago, legophisto said:

As much as I am hoping for a European classic car I feel it is time for an American car this time like Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Corvette or a Cadillac. 

Agreed, as I don't know why we haven't yet seen TLG utilize their partnerships with the Ford Motor Company and General Motors beyond just the Speed Champions line.