SheldonF

Creator Expert Cars - Rumors, Discussion, and Speculation

It looks to also be built in predominantly Light Bluish Grey, with some metallic touches on at least the bumper.

Hopefully this is not the official model. It looks absolutely terrible! I stopped working on my nearly finished Aston Martin DB5 (at a slightly smaller scale) when I heard about the rumour of an official DB5 set because you usually can't improve the Creator Expert designers' models. But if this turns out to be the final version it should not be too hard to create a much better looking model.

3 hours ago, paupadros said:

The grille is okay.

I have my biggest problem with this set with the grill... on the real car there is just one big grill. No metal visible. And this set has a very big bulky looking metal frame around the grill which in my opinion makes it look absolutely odd. The rest I think is fine for me if the front would be not as it is now.:sceptic:

16 hours ago, Skalldyr said:

I have my biggest problem with this set with the grill... on the real car there is just one big grill. No metal visible. And this set has a very big bulky looking metal frame around the grill which in my opinion makes it look absolutely odd. The rest I think is fine for me if the front would be not as it is now.:sceptic:

Okay in the sense of "it's not great". They've used the arches to achieve something that doesn't quite work. In fact, the first thing that came to mind when seeing it was a Morris Marina or a Datsun with an Aston terrible surgery over it.

Before it was finally confirmed, many here were musing upon the fact that this set could be the first Creator Expert set with media-related branding. 

Well, now that we know that to be the case, I suppose we could presume that this won't be a one-time isolated instance, so the potential for other media-branded Creator Expert set opens the doors for a lot of future possibilities! Think about it, besides the Creator Expert automobile line, we may even see certain media-branded architectural sets (modular or landmark) too, particularly for licenses that don't have an established theme of their own. :shrug_oh_well:

On 7/6/2018 at 1:29 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, now that we know that to be the case, I suppose we could presume that this won't be a one-time isolated instance, so the potential for other media-branded Creator Expert set opens the doors for a lot of future possibilities! Think about it, besides the Creator Expert automobile line, we may even see certain media-branded architectural sets (modular or landmark) too, particularly for licenses that don't have an established theme of their own. :shrug_oh_well:

A Creator Expert-size BTTF DeLorean would be pretty sweet. Besides, the shapes are more squarish and (probably) easier to pull off. That is very plausible option for the future, honestly. As for branded buildings, what do you mean? Stadiums and so on?

9 hours ago, paupadros said:

As for branded buildings, what do you mean? Stadiums and so on?

No, I guess I misphrased that by saying "media-branded", as I was more suggesting that we could possibly see various iconic or notable architectural structures from smaller scaled licenses based upon fictional franchises captured in Lego as sets branded under the Creator Expert theme. By smaller scaled licenses, I mean one-off stuff seen done under themes like Dimensions, BrickHeadz, and LEGO Ideas, as opposed to larger, better established licenses done under themes such as Star Wars or DC/Marvel SuperHeroes. For instance, if this new pretence were established eariler, we could've seen 2016's Ghostbusters' HQ branded under the Creator Expert theme instead.

Sorry (not sorry) I haven't seen the leaks, but this looks like a vanquish (plus front spoiler)

On 6/27/2018 at 6:48 PM, Lucarex said:

33fdanm.jpg

And this looks like a DB5:

On 7/3/2018 at 3:34 AM, paupadros said:

F1400.jpg

I'm surprised they don't have their promotional materials sorted consistently.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:57 PM, jamesn said:

Sorry (not sorry) I haven't seen the leaks, but this looks like a vanquish (plus front spoiler)

And this looks like a DB5:

I'm surprised they don't have their promotional materials sorted consistently.

The inconsistency was clearly done on purpose.

Just now, CDM said:

The inconsistency was clearly done on purpose.

yes, just like the leak with a picture of a really bad DB5 model, so everyone is even more happy about the amazing final set!  

11 minutes ago, incognito said:

yes, just like the leak with a picture of a really bad DB5 model, so everyone is even more happy about the amazing final set!  

I'm not sure what you were expecting. It looks 100% consistent with the Creator vehicle style: watered down lines and squared sides / doors. My issue with it are the proportions (it looks too long) but it's hard to tell with one sub-par quality image. I'll wait until the official images and details before I decide to buy or not.

As always, people look at leaked picture and hate it, then see the real thing and buy it. It's almost status quo in the last few years. Wait to see it before making a final decision based off a crappy picture on a plastic card. Bugatti had a lot of naysayers and then they magically changed their mind. I too agree I'm not the biggest fan of the proportions as of now but I'll reserve judgement/decision making until I see it for my self. 

I'm a fan of the Creator Expert vehicles but I think it sort of loses value (to me) when you add a license in there. A separate Aston Martin from other James Bond sets IMO would have been more appealing.

I have all these vehicles and although I can pick faults in all of them I'm pretty happy with them but this just doesn't capture the shape and the emotion of the DB5 to me.

this may be the first i don't buy

Considering how many Technic fans complain that the Bugatti isn't functional enough for Technic and should therefore have been built out of System as a non-functional Creator Expert display model instead, I think it ironic that the next big licensed car revealed is, in the opinion of many System fans, too functional for System and should therefore have been built in Technic if it was going to look bad anyway.  Seems like neither approach to mixing form and function satisfies the primary audience of the respective primary building system (System vs Technic).  I think the functions of the DB5 are great, but it is a pity they had to compromise on the form to accommodate them.  That said, it's really hard to get the subtle curves of the DB5 in Lego, and I haven't seen any MOCs that do it a whole lot better.  I don't know if I'll get the DB5, though.  Have to have a long talk with my wallet about that.

6 minutes ago, icm said:

I think the functions of the DB5 are great, but it is a pity they had to compromise on the form to accommodate them.  That said, it's really hard to get the subtle curves of the DB5 in Lego, and I haven't seen any MOCs that do it a whole lot better.  I don't know if I'll get the DB5, though.  Have to have a long talk with my wallet about that.

I agree with this 100%. I think they captured the curves / lines as well as can be expected but I would rather see this as an Aston Martin model instead of a 007 model if it meant the proportions were more accurate. Couple that with the price / piece count and I think this'll be the first Creator Expert vehicle I skip.

2 hours ago, icm said:

but it is a pity they had to compromise on the form to accommodate them.

The first thing that struck me is that the grille is all wrong, but then I realised it's a rolling box... and the email I got from LEGO doesn't include the view of the rear, which is by far the most dreadful aspect. I know what I'm not buying this summer....

This seems like a good time to buy the Mini...

I think it's less ugly than on the preliminary picture, but it's nowhere near a DB5 and personally I find a gray car to be a bit boring (but I understand Lego had little choice given the licence). But it's quoite cool that it seems to have a few moving parts, and I think there are some nice building techniques, such as the slightly-sticking out tile on the side, just behind the front wheel, and some details at the front and back seem to be well-thought-out too.

In fact I think the car itself isn't even that bad. If they did't call it a DB5, skipped the 007 licence and picked another color (anything would be better, except dark gray), it would be a decent set.

I just think it focuses too much on details, instead of the shape of the actual car. And then to think that with the Beetle, they proved they could do a curvy car really well.

It looks like some old Russian cold war era vehicle to me, doesn't really matter though don't have any Creator Expert cars yet anyway, certainly won't be starting with this one though, yuck phoughy. 

Edit: actually I am starting to like it a little more, even if it isn't an very good representation, I hate when this happens. 

Edited by Johnny1360

Here's both a review of the set and an interview with designers Mike Psiaki and Aston Martin VP Marek Reichman from The Brothers Brick blog. Plus, an official designer video:

The Brothers Brick - TOP SECRET: LEGO 10262 James Bond Aston Martin DB5 [Review] 

The Brothers Brick - Exclusive interviews with LEGO designer and Aston Martin VP at London LEGO Creator Expert 10262 James Bond DB5 set launch event [News] 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Not a big car expert here (as my name indicates it :grin:) but wanted to write my thoughts. That's nicely packed with some great functions, especially considering that it's not a MOC but an official set. However, I wish it was more accurate. Pity about the price too. I still prefer @Skalldyr's minifig scaled DB5 over this one. Damn, this thing has almost every function (shown in this video) the official set has!

42642477012_49e335efb0_c.jpgAston Martin DB5 007 Normal by Skalldyr, on Flickr

Edited by LegoModularFan