BusterHaus

Gearboxes With New Orange Selector & 20z Clutch Gear

I am still working on my 7+r but here is an improved version.

IMG_20180724_234555357

This is the top view.  Red is control, input is green, output is white (barely visible below the red). 

Here is the bottom view.

IMG_20180724_234607008

The shaft with two 20z gears next to each other is for reverse.  The two outermost shafts (not counting the reversing one just mentioned) go all the way through the gearbox; the other shafts do not.

Returning to the top view:

IMG_20180724_234555357

The orange rotary drum on the left controls the R-2-4-6 gearbox, the one on the right controls 1-3-5+7. The gearbox is in reverse here (-12/20).  Turning the control 180 degrees clockwise rotates the right rotary drum 90 degrees counter clockwise, and selects the 1-3-5-7 gearbox, so the whole thing is now in 1st gear.  Turning the control another 180 degrees clockwise turns the left rotary drum 90 degrees counter clockwise and puts the gearbox in 2.

R-2-4-6 has speeds of 12/20, 1, 36/20, 3.  1-3-5-7 has the same speeds except multiplied by 20/14.  20/16 would have given a smoother gear ratio curve but this is more compact, and the relative ratios end up reasonably near what, say, the real Veyron uses.

The gearbox still needs limiters and something to prevent shifts from 7 to R, and the structure is still evolving, but hopefully you get the idea.

That's getting better. Keep going. I like that you're using the older style driving rings, takes up less real estate. 

9 hours ago, Hrafn said:

I am still working on my 7+r but here is an improved version.

The gearbox still needs limiters and something to prevent shifts from 7 to R, and the structure is still evolving, but hopefully you get the idea.

Hi,am I right if I would say that the 7+R is easily changeable to 6+N+R?

11 minutes ago, bekesizoltan said:

Hi,am I right if I would say that the 7+R is easily changeable to 6+N+R?

Sure, but N is easily achieved by just turning the control shaft 90 degrees instead of 180.  Controlling that would be tricky though.

23 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

That's getting better. Keep going. I like that you're using the older style driving rings, takes up less real estate. 

Thanks!  Yes, the old driving rings do save some space.  I need to get more old 16z clutch gears, though - the red ones do seem to generate some increased friction.

23 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

@Hrafn Nice work! Are you planning to build in some locks to keep in place l the selectors driven by knob gears? 

Thanks!  Yes, that is what I meant by limiters - something to lock the sub gearbox control axles at 90 degree increments and the main control axle at 180 degrees.

It occurs to me I could hard couple the sub gearbox control axles with a 45 degree offset (and switch gears by rotating both 45  degrees at a time) but then I would need a precise clutch mechanism to deal with the resulting double engagement during gear shifts.

Hi! Anyone has a file with the new orange selector for 3d print? I purchased some parts, but here in Brazil the things no functions like should and I'm anxious to wait. :grin:

50 minutes ago, Talles said:

Hi! Anyone has a file with the new orange selector for 3d print? I purchased some parts, but here in Brazil the things no functions like should and I'm anxious to wait. :grin:

How you will use it will help with how to answer your question. These parts are available for LDRAW library. A few pages back Philo talks about them. Part # 35188.

43 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

How you will use it will help with how to answer your question. These parts are available for LDRAW library. A few pages back Philo talks about them. Part # 35188.

Thanks 

On 6/13/2018 at 1:50 PM, Philo said:

@BusterHaus No problem with DXF. DWG should be OK too, but I've not tried often. Thanks in advance!

@Philo Can you share the DXF or DWG with me? I would like to print in 3D. Thanks.

@Talles I started the LDraw model from photos sent by @BusterHaus then completed it when I received the part form s@h, so I have no DXF/DWG. But you can try to export the LDraw model to .stl (using LDView). No guaranty that the exported model will be perfectly exact (should come close) and it will certainly not be "watertight", which is a requirement for 3D printing (but your printer software may be smart enough to figure the proper shape anyway).

19 hours ago, Philo said:

@Talles I started the LDraw model from photos sent by @BusterHaus then completed it when I received the part form s@h, so I have no DXF/DWG. But you can try to export the LDraw model to .stl (using LDView). No guaranty that the exported model will be perfectly exact (should come close) and it will certainly not be "watertight", which is a requirement for 3D printing (but your printer software may be smart enough to figure the proper shape anyway).

It worked out. Thanks.

Edited by Talles

I am still working on the 7+R, albeit very infrequently.  How large is too large for use in a supercar?  Right now the gearbox is about 15 studs long, 15 wide (11 without structure), and 3 tall, but it is missing the 90 and 180 degree limiters, and a motorized or manual shifter, so it will get bigger.

FYI, gear ratios range from 5 (for reverse) to .7 (for 7) in a fairly smooth curve.

toIMG_20180805_004122048

Edited by Hrafn

Hi, I want to share my 7+R gearbox here.  The main idea was to design an advanced gearbox for 1:10 scale supercars, so it had to be compact. The gearbox consists of two of @Didumos69's 4 speed gearboxes. I modified the first one to substitute first gear with a reverse and I geared up the second 4 speed gearbox by 1.2. I geared up Reverse gear by 1.2 as well, so that first gear and reverse have the same ratio.

R) 0.72
1) 0.72
2) 0.75
3) 0.9
4) 1
5) 1.2
6) 1.25
7) 1.5

IMG-0395.jpg         

So this gearbox is basically a dual clutch gearbox, since it has a gearbox for odd and even speeds. Actually the gearbox has no clutches (yet). The shifting meganism has a 90 degree limiter hidden inside and it is connected to two rotary catches by a 12- and 24 teeth gear. Every time you shift, the rotary catches rotates 45 degrees. I was hoping that when the rotary catch is at a 45 degree angle, no gears are engaged, so that when the other rotary catch is in a normal 90 degree position I can connect output 1 and 2 without dual clutch. In reality though, this is not a reliable solution. When the rotary catch is at a 45 degree angle, the driving rings can move 2 mm toward the driving ring and engage a gear. When I tested the gearbox with a motor, I found that sometimes only one output rotates and sometimes two. Conclusion: I still need a dual clutch meganism. (I will try to integrate it into above the rear axle)

IMG-0398.jpg

Let me know what you think. Sugestions for improvements are apreciated!

Edited by T Lego

8 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

I would like to build this. Do you have a digital file or building instructions?

I don't, but I can PM you some more detailed pictures so you can reverse engineer it if you want.

3 minutes ago, T Lego said:

I don't, but I can PM you some more detailed pictures so you can reverse engineer it if you want.

Would you be willing to post them somewhere free like "bricksafe" and post a link here? 

20 hours ago, Isamudyson said:

Do you have a close up view of where the band is for the gear selector? curious how it is done as i'm building it LDD

Thank you for building it in LDD! I can’t take a picture yet beceause I am on vacation. I will be home within a week, so then I can send you a close up. Are you able to finish the gearbox itself (without limiter) without that info?

2 hours ago, T Lego said:

Thank you for building it in LDD! I can’t take a picture yet beceause I am on vacation. I will be home within a week, so then I can send you a close up. Are you able to finish the gearbox itself (without limiter) without that info?

I believe i have and can share what i have. I'm sure i made mistakes somewhere.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/isamudyson/random

On 8/16/2018 at 8:21 PM, Isamudyson said:

Do you have a close up view of where the band is for the gear selector? curious how it is done as i'm building it LDD

Here you go. I have taken a look at the LDD file and as far as I am concerned, you did not make any mistakes:thumbup:

Note: I am almost done with the dual clutch system and rear axle integration

IMG-0412.jpg

Edited by T Lego