BusterHaus

Gearboxes With New Orange Selector & 20z Clutch Gear

Hi Didumos, 

I like your idea about reducing friction. I build mainly rc mocs, and I have the same goal there too. I tried to use the new parts to build something simple, and efficient, but I found an issue with positioning the orange selector parts. The half stud distance from the line of the axles does not work, as it is too small, and there is a lot of friction between the orange part and the grey driving ring. I made a bad quality picture at the time I was testing, and you can see, that the frame I made has not the pins fully in, so the gearbox can work. So what I am trying to say, that in your setup you would have the same problem. I made a working setup just to see and feel the friction, but the orange part needs to be mounted just a bit more than half stud from the line of the axles. As you see this is out of system, so very hard to achieve, when proper bracing, and the rotation of the selector axle has to be done. I hope this helps, and I wonder with what kind of idea you will come up with to solve this:)

IMG_9297.jpg

IMG_9298.m4v

Edited by Jantayg

Didumos has his drive rings placed further apart. Yours are too close together.

19 hours ago, Jantayg said:

18 hours ago, allanp said:

Didumos has his drive rings placed further apart. Yours are too close together.

What he said. They are placed one stud more apart. Actually the wave selector has a 2.12L distance from the driving rings (center-to-center), where it ideally should have a 2L distance. It would be great if you could test if this works, because I don't have the wave selectors yet. I want them desperately, but I'm going to wait until I can order them via bricklink.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

@Didumos69 My parts are in the mail, I'll be able to test designs soon. I'm also following the LDraw parts tracker, but the wave selector is not there yet. 

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

What he said. They are placed one stud more apart. Actually the wave selector has a 2.12L distance from the driving rings (center-to-center), where it ideally should have a 2L distance. It would be great if you could test if this works, because I don't have the wave selectors yet. I want them desperately, but I'm going to wait until I can order them via bricklink.

I played around with a 1/2 stud offset like that a few days ago.. It does work.. Maybe not quite as perfectly as having the wave selector in the standard 2 stud position, but I think it is acceptable.. Only difference now is that the selector has to be at a 45 degree angle to engage the driving rings and of course having to deal with controlling that wave selector with the 1/2 stud difference somewhere down the road..

Edited by Paul Boratko

34 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

Only difference now is that the selector has to be at a 45 degree angle to engage the driving rings and of course having to deal with controlling that wave selector with the 1/2 stud difference somewhere down the road..

Thanks for the info @Paul Boratko! To deal with the half stud difference and the 45 degree angle I was thinking of meshing the selector axle with a control axle using two 12t gears. I will then apply a 90 degree limiter to that control axle.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I have not seen it properly in your design, yes your axles are 4 studs from eachother, in my case 3, so yours should work. My parts are from bricklink too, I can test it later too.

9 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks, Didumos69 for all your posts and work on this forum. I'm trying to understand these Lego gearboxes. If anyone is interested I made a BI for Didumos69 LXF file above. I also made my own 20t gears w/ clutch. Using a Dremel tool I removed the center of a 20t gear and the teeth off of a 16t clutch until they fit together. Surprisingly, they turned out great. 

3 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Thanks, Didumos69 for all your posts and work on this forum. I'm trying to understand these Lego gearboxes. If anyone is interested I made a BI for Didumos69 LXF file above. I also made my own 20t gears w/ clutch. Using a Dremel tool I removed the center of a 20t gear and the teeth off of a 16t clutch until they fit together. Surprisingly, they turned out great. 

You're welcome! So you couldn't wait for the new parts either, haha. Feel free to share the BI, you're making me curious. People should only know that it's not a finished gearbox, it lacks a shifter and a 90 degree limiter.

23 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

My parts are in the mail, I'll be able to test designs soon. I'm also following the LDraw parts tracker, but the wave selector is not there yet. 

I am eagerly waiting for good photos in cartesian directions (top/bottom/left/front) and dimensions (diameters, height) to make the LDraw model!

@Philo I can make a drawing when I receive the parts. Can you open DXF or DWG files, or is a drawing annotated with dimensions better? 

@Paul Baulch, I think this is exactly what I posted about two weeks ago. Nice to see it being buit! It uses all new parts! Only the use of 16t gears for the rotary catches is not perfect. But it could use knob wheels if the control axle could have a 45 degree angle.@

I especially like the fact that when one idler gear is engaged, all the other plain idler gears making dummy rotations. They are not involved in transferring drive.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:02 PM, Didumos69 said:

:thumbup: Or move the input axles up a layer:

800x450.jpg

Btw, this layout is quite similar to what I did in my rugged supercar:

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

32 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

@Paul Baulch, I think this is exactly what I posted about two weeks ago. Nice to see it being buit! It uses all new parts! Only the use of 16t gears for the rotary catches is not perfect. But it could use knob wheels if the control axle could have a 45 degree angle.@

I especially like the fact that when one idler gear is engaged, all the other plain idler gears making dummy rotations. They are not involved in transferring drive.

Yeah, that looks like the same gear set up, this one just has the gears in different places and has the motor input going the entire way through to the other side... It's not quite as practical as the previous one that I did, but it feels more solid(Then again it has a lot more parts). I was originally using yellow knob wheels, but 3 of them in a line didn't seem to work smoothly 100% of the time...

I was also using this idea which worked out ok, but then I switched to the 16 tooth gears... Once thing that I have discovered is that even if the 16 tooth gear is slightly off center, the rotary wave selector is completely engaged and cannot go in any further even if they were centered...

800x792.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko

If anyone needs the new gearbox parts, you can already order them from LEGO Bricks and Pieces.

Part numbers;
35185 for the blue clutch
35186 for the yellow driving ring extension
35188 for the gear selector

3 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

Yeah, that looks like the same gear set up, this one just has the gears in different places and has the motor input going the entire way through to the other side... It's not quite as practical as the previous one that I did, but it feels more solid(Then again it has a lot more parts). I was originally using yellow knob wheels, but 3 of them in a line didn't seem to work smoothly 100% of the time...

I was also using this idea which worked out ok, but then I switched to the 16 tooth gears... Once thing that I have discovered is that even if the 16 tooth gear is slightly off center, the rotary wave selector is completely engaged and cannot go in any further even if they were centered...

800x792.jpg

That is actually a pretty simple, yet clever idea. I have noticed too in my Bugatti model that there is a few degrees of swing both ways with the orange shifting parts where they are still engaged.

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

The price of the driving ring extention is extorsionate.

Yeah, that price is insane.

Edited by Meatman

Here is a version of @Paul Boratko's 4 speed that I added an automatic lock to the central diff. The differential should lock in 1st gear. 

Blue is shifter input, yellow is drive input, and red is drive output. The orange wheels are the new orange selector. The yellow 12 tooth gears are the new extension ring. For some reason LDD would not let me mate the old style extension with the differential. It would also only let me use the white gear shifter connectors with ridges on the shifter, I could not use the red ones without ridges. The shifter input can come from either side.

4_spd_seq_lock_diff.png1

4_spd_seq_lock_diff_side.png

4_spd_seq_lock_diff_bottom.png

9 hours ago, TheHypaaa said:

Is there any advantage to the new yellow driving ring extension other than the reduced slack?

old extension cannot mesh with double sided clutch gears (red 16 tooth and new blue 20 tooth), only with older single sided 16 tooth

Edited by Ivan_M

10 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

old extension cannot mesh with double sided clutch gears (red 16 tooth and new blue 20 tooth), only with older single sided 16 tooth

Oh, thank you.

On 6/12/2018 at 1:10 PM, 1963maniac said:

You're welcome! So you couldn't wait for the new parts either, haha. Feel free to share the BI, you're making me curious. People should only know that it's not a finished gearbox, it lacks a shifter and a 90 degree limiter.
  On 6/12/2018 at 3:08 AM, Didumos69 said:

LXF-file here. (from 1 page earlier) the file is called "4-speed - Centered_Didumos69_LPUB.pdf" at https://bricksafe.com/pages/1963maniac This is not my best work, I just made the BI quickly so I could build it. It is now updated.(6/15/2018)

Now, I've ordered the parts from Lego bricks and pieces. I didn't know one could do that. So, I too am anticipating the new parts coming in the mail. YEA!

BTW, Paul Boratko, I am offering to make building instructions from your above mentioned designs too.

Edited by 1963maniac
update

9 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

BTW, Paul Boratko, I am offering to make building instructions from your above mentioned designs too.

Go right ahead.. I sure don't know how to do them..  :head_back:

Lots of people have been asking for them on facebook, so they'll be quite happy...

7 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

Go right ahead.. I sure don't know how to do them..  :head_back:

Lots of people have been asking for them on facebook, so they'll be quite happy...

Do you have more pictures showing internal sections?