BusterHaus

Gearboxes With New Orange Selector & 20z Clutch Gear

Something fun I discovered today: we'll eventually want to design a 180 degree stepper mechanism for shifting. :wink:

2 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Something fun I discovered today: we'll eventually want to design a 180 degree stepper mechanism for shifting. :wink:

That should not be difficult, use a 90 ° stepper and add e.g. a 24/12 gear ratio.

3 minutes ago, Lucullus said:

That should not be difficult, use a 90 ° stepper and add e.g. a 24/12 gear ratio.

I did that already as part of the gearbox, but I realized that in certain gearboxes it may be nice to have an option of switching gears without going through neutral or extra gears. 

Edited by BusterHaus

I can confirm that the new orange shifter does work with a clutch ring either side of it. it also works with 4 clutch rings but two gears are meshed at once, which does not mean "it will jam indefinetlley, let's give up".

Edited by SNIPE

The great thing about the new selector is that it acts a bit like a worm gear and locks the driving rings in place.  It would be very hard, if not impossible, for it to be back driven.  Plus, it's more compact and easier to incorporate into models.  Win, win, win all around.  This is the best new part in ages.  

Just now, dhc6twinotter said:

Plus, it's more compact and easier to incorporate into models.

I agree, it allows for more compact gearboxes, but not for more simple gear boxes.

If the wave selector is to be used in the usual distribution or multidirectional gearbox, I think there will be a rotation limiter.

Imagine the 42066. There is the VTOL / FLIGHT function, with a multidirectional gearbox. Now if the wave selector is employed, there will be a knob to turn this selector. The sticker will say turn clockwise for the VTOL configuration and anti clockwise for the FLIGHT configuration, for example. The problem is that, if I already turn the knob clockwise for the VTOL config, and I turn it clockwise again, the slider will move to the opposite end, and will end up engage the FLIGHT config.

So there should be a rotation limiter. 

Any ideas on two-speed gearbox using as few as possible gears with the difference in speed about 3 times? For example 1:1 and 1:3. Is it very simple to make 1:1 and 3:5 with four gears, but that is not very sufficient. 

Just now, Limga said:

Any ideas on two-speed gearbox using as few as possible gears with the difference in speed about 3 times? For example 1:1 and 1:3. Is it very simple to make 1:1 and 3:5 with four gears, but that is not very sufficient. 

Without new pieces: (my Gearbox [not purposeful plugging])

800x600.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/pages/aventador2014/2-speedpark

On 30-5-2018 at 6:10 PM, Didumos69 said:

Great idea, I was waiting for this! Here we go...

I tried making a compact sequential 4-speed gearbox layout and so far this is the most simple solution I could come up with. It's still not that easy, because to take full advantage of the new orange selector, the driving rings cannot be placed on opposite sides of a single gear selector.

To take full advantage of the new 20t clutch gears, the gear ratio between the two driving rings needs to be closer to 1:1 than the 20:12 ratio made by the new clutch gears. In this case I used 16:20. Ratios are (in foreground to background order): 4:5, 1:1, 4:3, 5:3.

• Green is input
  • Yellow is control
  • Red is output

800x450.jpg

I used this one - with small modifications - as a replacement 4-speed gearbox for the Bugatti transmission and reduced the complexity. See:

Edited by Didumos69

On ‎2‎-‎6‎-‎2018 at 8:32 PM, Limga said:

See the go-kart set, 42048, which has exactly that.

Edited by Erik Leppen

You can also use old-school differential as 24z clutch gear and make such gearbox on 2 axles only. There were examples of such gearboxes on previous page. Downside here is the length.

Edited by ibessonov

12 hours ago, ibessonov said:

You can also use old-school differential as 24z clutch gear and make such gearbox on 2 axles only. There were examples of such gearboxes on previous page. Downside here is the length.

Yup, although you're saving on the width. The only downside is that it uses a weak 8z gear, making it unsuitable for mechanized models.  

@Limga Were you looking for a 2 speed gearbox for a manual or motorized model? 

Edited by BusterHaus

Has anybody tested how far you need to turn the wave selector piece to disengage a gear? We know it disengages when rotating 90 degrees, but will it disengage a gear in 60 degrees?

On 02.06.2018 at 9:34 PM, Aventador2004 said:

Without new pieces: (my Gearbox [not purposeful plugging])

Thank you for the suggestion. But there is too many gears for me and I want to have only one gearbox driving ring. 

On 06.06.2018 at 2:05 PM, ibessonov said:

Yeah, I thought about old differential from the very beginning. But the connection with 8z gear is the weakest point in those gearboxes on previous page since they cannot be embraced at all. I asked because there could be some compact 2-speed gearboxes with new 20z clutch gear that are still have to be invented :classic:.

12 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

@Limga Were you looking for a 2 speed gearbox for a manual or motorized model? 

I want to use 2-speed high-efficient gearbox in motorized light-weight model, yes. 

I tried this variant a long time ago, but with the old driving ring and old change-over lever. It wasn't reliable at all. I will try it with the new driving ring and new wave selector pieces on the sides of driving ring and see if it works. But I still think that ever if driving ring connection with gears will be reliable the 8z and differential gear will slip. 

TXDGViPOP0M.jpg

There is another variant I came up with recently. This variant becomes quite compact with two L-motors having each own axle and doesn't involve 8z gear. The gear ratios are 1.25:1 and 1:2 giving a difference 2.5 in the output speed. The wave selector piece is easily placed above the driving ring. And it seems that with some not simple gearing two wave selector pieces could be placed on the sides of the driving ring. I still have to figure how to make bracing as compact as possible and how make a motorized switch. May be I need to start a separate topic for the gearboxes for motorized models :classic:

EcBYaWPc_ZE.jpg

3 hours ago, Limga said:

EcBYaWPc_ZE.jpg

I checked this in LDCad and I'm not 100% sure that a 2 axle solution will work.  When the tan gears are aligned with the 16z gear, the orientation of the input axles puts the 12z gears in positions that interfere with the 24z gear.  One side can mesh properly, but the other side looks to be interfering.  I tried to split the difference with no success.  A physical build may behave differently.

9 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

No Facebook here, what's in the link?

9 hours ago, allanp said:

Has anybody tested how far you need to turn the wave selector piece to disengage a gear? We know it disengages when rotating 90 degrees, but will it disengage a gear in 60 degrees?

I'm very interested in this as well.  I made some preliminary 6-speed layouts, but centering the wave selector axle in a triangular setup is somewhat problematic (so far).

17 minutes ago, Meatman said:

This just popped up on my youtube feed.

Yes, very nice. I like how it takes full advantage of both gear ends of the diff. I don't like the idea of using 3 layers of gears for a gearbox, but it can be rotated by 90 degrees.

1 minute ago, Didumos69 said:

Yes, very nice. I like how it takes full advantage of both gear ends of the diff. I don't like the idea of using 3 layers of gears for a gearbox, but it can be rotated by 90 degrees.

Yeah, I suppose that it can be used any way that you want. I like the shock being used instead of an elastic band. Nice and clean looking module.

On 6/9/2018 at 5:06 PM, SpaceJoey86 said:

Could anyone test whether the wave selector works with the other driving ring (the red one)

+1.

I have been playing with the new wave selector a bit more (in LDD) and tried to figure out a 4-speed gearbox that meets some of my criteria:

• To minimize friction, I don't want clutch gears to be involved in tranferring drive. When one clutch gear is engaged, all the others should be plain idler gears.
  • To allow for easy integration with a fake engine and with front or rear axles, I want to have a symmetrical setup with he input axle, output axle and the control axle nicely centered.

One of the things about the new wave selector I'm not so happy with, is that it is hard to make a symmetriacal setup. They are easy to use in a setup with one driving ring to the side of the wave selector and one underneath or above the wave selector. If you put the wave selector right inbetween two driving rings, you can't make a 4-speed sequential gearbox, because either both driving rings will be engaged or none.

By making use of some half stud offsets, I think I found something that should work. Ratios are 0.83, 1.67, 2 and 4.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

LXF-file here.

Edited by Didumos69