Paperinik77pk

MOC (to be restored) - BR Class 55 - Deltic - 4,5v

Hi all,

after a specific request of @LEGO Train 12 Volts, and seeing the last posts on various BR locomotives, I retrieved from the basement an old MOC I built a lot of years ago - it literally comes from the 80's. It is a gray era, and it was made copying the style of the 722 set:

It has a troubled story - it was never finished. It started as a multicolor prototype which ran a few times with custom 4,5v wheels adapted on 6 studs Technic axles.

Then it was destroyed for something else, then I rebuilt a blue cabin...then it survived until the 90's as a cabin only, then I rebuilt it with a newer Technic chassis and custom wheels, then it was destroyed  and re-built again in its actual shape. This last version was prepared in 2001 if I remember well.  I put it away to keep it intact, while I was focusing on my current 4.5v / 12v collection.

Be prepared, it was made with reeeeeeally basic parts, starting from a few photos I had at the time of the Deltic prototype. I loved it.

WP_20180529_21_55_31_ProWP_20180529_21_52_25_ProWP_20180529_21_53_01_ProWP_20180529_21_54_52_ProWP_20180529_21_52_34_Pro

The small 4,5v motor was put on the "front" and had a cardanic shaft to the gear reduction part on the "rear" of locomotive. I remember I had a big plate, modified with a hole,both to connect and transfer power to bogie trough a vertical axle.

All cables are gone (used for more important tasks). The battery holder was REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY heavy. It was faster than a 4.5v normal train and pulled nicely the 7740 wagons due to its good traction. Another thing I remeber: it was extremely noisy, but - all in all - it was an unwanted tribute to the real one (thanks Youtube for making me hear the real DELTIC power) :laugh:

Am I planning to end it? I do not know. I'm tempted - I have my 3D printed wheels now , and I can make her run again - Let's see - for the moment I'm after by big scale trains :wink::laugh:

I hope you like it, even in this disastered status!

Ciao!

Davide

That's totally cool! :thumbup:
Complete it, please!

Amazing that seemingly you never went through "dark ages", as most of us did. I wish I still had my set and parts collection from the 80s and early 90s, especially the 7740+7815, 7745 and (not train-related) the 8880 and 5580...

Really, really like it! Please complete it at some point, it could be quite a loco once finished!

Some of the techniques you've used are really interesting, may look at testing some of them as they may help with yet another project I'm designing in Stud.io!

Thanks for sharing! :wink:

6 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

That's totally cool! :thumbup:
Complete it, please!

Amazing that seemingly you never went through "dark ages", as most of us did. I wish I still had my set and parts collection from the 80s and early 90s, especially the 7740+7815, 7745 and (not train-related) the 8880 and 5580...

Never bought a 9v train until 2008 when I bough the Santa Fe  and Metroliner!

I hated the 9v trains - that's why I began building Technic and starting to repair and restore old computers :wink:

I will remake it in LDD - I do not remember at all the bogies!!! :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

Really, really like it! Please complete it at some point, it could be quite a loco once finished!

Some of the techniques you've used are really interesting, may look at testing some of them as they may help with yet another project I'm designing in Stud.io!

Thanks for sharing! :wink:

Thanks!!! :blush: I'll try with my vintage parts - but I do not have a lot of old grey parts - maybe on Bricklink... :laugh:

I like that your model is as loud as the original. :grin:

You got the shape nailed and I love the rough and ready retro look of the model with the techniques and parts you’ve used. Got to love those studs.

I think it’s only right that you should complete it as much as you can. It’s been waiting for a long time to have it’s time in the sun. Please keep the overall style and look of the model and try not to substitute old parts for newer design ones.

Edited by Hod Carrier

Hi my dear friend,

you have to complete this beauty again ...I love the old school style and the amazing (yellow 4,5v) light brick! :wub:

Incredible that you have created such a beautiful model long time ago! :thumbup:

Indeed, from the days of old: your skill with the old bricks shines through my childhood 1980s era filter spectacles!  My teenage memories smile with affection for your dedication to build with the non-train battery and motors: you demonstrate vision, creativity, and production that I could not envision back then. Well done Gray Era!

On 31/5/2018 at 9:16 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Hi my dear friend,

you have to complete this beauty again ...I love the old school style and the amazing (yellow 4,5v) light brick! :wub:

Incredible that you have created such a beautiful model long time ago! :thumbup:

On 29/5/2018 at 11:28 PM, Hod Carrier said:

I like that your model is as loud as the original. :grin:

You got the shape nailed and I love the rough and ready retro look of the model with the techniques and parts you’ve used. Got to love those studs.

I think it’s only right that you should complete it as much as you can. It’s been waiting for a long time to have it’s time in the sun. Please keep the overall style and look of the model and try not to substitute old parts for newer design ones.

On 1/6/2018 at 4:42 AM, James Mathis said:

Indeed, from the days of old: your skill with the old bricks shines through my childhood 1980s era filter spectacles!  My teenage memories smile with affection for your dedication to build with the non-train battery and motors: you demonstrate vision, creativity, and production that I could not envision back then. Well done Gray Era!

Hi all and thanks for your support - I did not think such a simple realization could get so much enthusiasm - yes - I think it is time for the 18 cylinder prototype to run again!!!

Thanks thanks thanks to all of you - this model is so important to me!

DELTIC.lxf

Just to have an idea - my first one looked like that - in a multicolor combination of old bricks.

I remembered the use of red technic wheels (taken from the classic 4,5v motor box) at the bogie center. In this drawing I put on modern train wheels, but at the time I used modified red 4,5v wheels (and gray rubber bands). These wheels (in red) look a lot like the original 4,5v wheels - and I wanted to keep the whole locomotive made by original Lego parts.

"DELTIC" side writing was something I abandoned - too big for the side wall of the locomotive - but I'm beginning to appreciate it again.

I remember the whole writing was based on the "E" letter!!!  I tried also to design it with my old Commodore 128 at the time (a nice work of pixels)!  Maybe it is the 8-bit look that I like - maybe it's only I'm expecting the word "Deltic" written on the locomotive. :laugh:

I can light up also the lower lights - I can put a black 12v 6x1 light diffusor behind the two blue lamp holders - and light the whole thing with a 4,5v light brick (with a red transparent plastic lid on it) - diodes will do the direction change trick.

Let me know what you think about it :sweet:

Ciao!

Davide

Thanks!!! I remember I understood the possibility to do the "half stud" trick looking at the instructions of the 7720 loading ramp!!! the problem with these doors was - how I can fix them on top?  Then the central stud on top plates solved the problem...but it took me a bit to understand it :tongue:

It's fantastic to see such a detailed creation using older parts - the engine is immediately recognizable as a classic BR diesel!