Hey Eurobricks, 

First time poster but I wanted to share the my custom T-65 X-wing I have been working on for the past while. 

X-wing LDD.lxf

Attack Position 1

Flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskC2ymYh

LDD File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H2r8EemynUHE9wV_Q0ILHjciZeTAJIOq

Part Count: 1056

Length: 34.5 cm, 13.6 inches, 43 studs.

Width: 39 cm, 15.4 inches, 49 studs

Height: 13 cm, 5.2 inches, 16 studs 

Bit of Background:

I have loved the X-wing since I first saw the movies, and it was the first MOC I ever completed as a kid. Now as an AFOL I was recently able to block out some time for building a MOC and I wanted to update my first X-wing from many years ago. LEGO's versions have been solid, but the more I examined them the more I wanted to design my own that more closely matched the shape of the OT movie props. I was inspired by the amazing MOC X-wings I have seen created by many folks, including Gray Mouser, Inthert, Psiaki, cehnot, and dmaclego. 

My Objectives:

Model building focused on three key components. Overall I wanted to make an X-wing that was relatively accurate to the source props but also very sturdy and still possessed important play features.  

1) My first goal was to provide structural stability to allow for maximum swooshibillity. I will be the first to admit my MOC doesn't capture some aspects of the shape perfectly like others have done, but I wanted to focus on using a Technic solution to build a hull and wings that were very strong. I designed a custom skeleton using Technic beams and bricks across across the entire ship so the model can actually take a short fall without exploding entirely. :)

_X-wing_CrossSectionRender

Progression 1

2) My second goals was to capture the proper shape with the heptagonal fuselage, proper angles and correct length and width proportions. Using the original model and screen grabs from the films as a base, I also drew inspiration from the great models of Gray Mouser, Inthert, Psiaki, cehnot, and dmaclego. I used hinge plates and Technic large ball bearings to achieve the slanted heptagonal shape and these were attached the rigid skeleton to maintain structure/swooshibility. It also means I can hold the model by the nose :)

Nose Strength

Here is a stress test swooshing videos. Two more are on the Flickr album.

Stress Test 1

3) Building working 'play' features such as retractable landing gear, removable R2 unit and opening s-foils. Since this was going to be for swooshing and not just display I wanted to incorporate the action features that were present in the official LEGO sets. The first was fitting an entire R2 unit behind the cockpit, legs and all. Fortunately,  the skeleton allowed for a large space bind the cockpit and I used hinged panels around the R2 unit so the entire droid (legs and all) can be removed and inserted easily.

I also made retractable landing gear a part of the rear engines and the front fuselage. Again the landing gear don't look quite as pretty as a display set, but I prefer the play-ability aspect myself. :) 

Front Gear

The s-foils can also be opened with a knob on the rear or a switch on the top of the craft. There is also an option to use a knob on the top of the fuselage, but I think the top knob would stick out too much. 

Rear

Just for fun here are the past two iterations of my MOC, from many moons ago 

X-wign Evolution

I would love to hear thoughts about what others think of the model and I would be happy to answer questions or provide my LDD file, too! Thanks! 

Edited by wookieejedi
Updated LDD file, Added physical model pics

Thanks! I have actually gone over a few iterations with real bricks, since things always change when it comes time to make the physical model. At this point the wings and rear are made and finalized, and I am just waiting on a few key pins to attach the front and back fuselage. 

Interesting take on the main hex shape. 

Edited by cehnot

Awesome to hear from you, cehnot! Your model was probably my largest inspiration, I would always look back at your pictures to charge up my building motivation. I had to make a few compromise for the shape and height/width of the hexagon due to the robust skeleton I designed, but I knew from the begning that there would be some shape compromises in the name of stability :)

I think this looks great all-around!  Really lovely body shaping and some clever techniques- definitely one of the best I've seen!

I think the tail end of the engines is a little plain.  I like that you added the round fluted brick and the barrel at the end, but it feels like it needs something more, or even go off-design and shorten it by 1 or 2 bricks so they're tighter in to the fuselage or something.  But that's just my personal gut feel; great build!  :classic:

1 hour ago, Makin Bacon said:

that looks very nice, I especially love the nose. If I were to add one thing, it looks a bit too clean

Thanks! I debated for a while with different nose designs, and finally went with the simple solution using the two sloped bricks. I actually made it so the nose slides onto the model via Technic bars so its fun to switch noses out :) With my physical model I am using all the older white plates and tiles I have, and they are highly 'weathered' so hopefully that will help! 

24 minutes ago, deraven said:

I think this looks great all-around!  Really lovely body shaping and some clever techniques- definitely one of the best I've seen!

I think the tail end of the engines is a little plain.  I like that you added the round fluted brick and the barrel at the end, but it feels like it needs something more, or even go off-design and shorten it by 1 or 2 bricks so they're tighter in to the fuselage or something.  But that's just my personal gut feel; great build!  :classic:

Thanks for the kind words! Ah I agree about the engines. I actually modified the LDD build to focus on more of the bricks I have, hence why there are not too many details on the rear engines. Luckily the rear engines are also connected to the main engine body by a Technic bar so they are easy to remove and modify :) 

10 hours ago, MOMAtteo79 said:

great overall job and shaping! How many pieces is this? is it possible to have ldd? Thanks

Thanks! It's about 970 pieces. For sure, I plan on releasing the LDD file once I have uploaded pictures of the physical model :)

That’s a really beautiful moc! Great shaping and very simply done! I’ve been looking for a moc to build for myself after seeing the disappointing 2018 X-Wing and I think this is my favourite so far, I’m eager to see the real thing and hear how solid it feels. Well done!

2 hours ago, mcphatty said:

That’s a really beautiful moc! Great shaping and very simply done! I’ve been looking for a moc to build for myself after seeing the disappointing 2018 X-Wing and I think this is my favourite so far, I’m eager to see the real thing and hear how solid it feels. Well done!

Thanks! I know what you mean about the 2018 X-wing...after studying the shape so closely to make my own I notice all the inaccuracies in the official sets now (for better or worse). Awesome to hear that you are possibly interested in building it! I think I will take a few videos of it swooshing to show the benefit of the Technic skeleton and the overall structural integrity, too. It's a relatively modular build and I have tried to make the design easy to build and able to to ensure there is extremely minimal to zero bowing or stress bending in the wings, guns, or fuselage. 

Edited by wookieejedi

Can’t wait to see your videos :) I think the nose section is the most impressive, Lego did okay with Poe’s X-Wing’s and I’ve modified mine to give it more of a slope on top but rebuilding the whole nose is a much bigger job. Playability is important too so your moc looks great, personally I think a moc that’s so fragile you cant let your kids pick it up is no good, especially since mine are only two and a half! I’d definitely be interested in the LDD if you’re willing to share it!

18 hours ago, Teus said:

Awesome build man!!

Thanks! 

7 hours ago, MOMAtteo79 said:

hope that this is also sturdy enough :)

Can’t wait to see your videos :) I think the nose section is the most impressive, Lego did okay with Poe’s X-Wing’s and I’ve modified mine to give it more of a slope on top but rebuilding the whole nose is a much bigger job. Playability is important too so your moc looks great, personally I think a moc that’s so fragile you cant let your kids pick it up is no good, especially since mine are only two and a half! I’d definitely be interested in the LDD if you’re willing to share it!

I just finished building most of the nose section last night and it is very sturdy and swooshable, so I look forward to sharing with you both the final model and swooshing videos :) I also wanted to make a time-lapse video of my putting the physical modules into place to show the modularity of the model. 

Thanks! I started with the nose but after not getting it how I wanted it I then designed the rear. Once that was finished I went back to the nose again and after many iterations I think I am finally happy with it. My nose is made of two side panels that securely slide into the skeleton structure made of Technic beams at two points so there is minimal to no bowing.   

I agree about not enjoying fragile MOCs, I don't have kids but I still wanted to make something strong enough to really play with, and when my cats knock it off the counter inevitably :) I look forward to sharing the LDD with you all in a few days! 

On 5/30/2018 at 2:52 AM, MOMAtteo79 said:

is it possible to have ldd? Thanks

1 hour ago, sovietxrobot said:

really nice. I too would be interested in the LDD.

5 hours ago, mcphatty said:

I’d definitely be interested in the LDD if you’re willing to share it!

Thanks, since others have asked for an LDD I figured I can release it a few days early :)

Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H2r8EemynUHE9wV_Q0ILHjciZeTAJIOq

The file has one side of the fuselage disconnected to better see then internal structure. If anyone has any questions just let me know, thanks! 

Edited by wookieejedi

Okay added the physical model pics and some videos of the stress swooshing :) Again, I am happy to answer any questions! : )

Attack Position 1

More pics are on the album and in the first post, but here is a stress video for those interested. 

Stress Test 2

Edited by wookieejedi

Great work, it looks even better made for real! It’s so solid too which is really impressive for a technic frame with panels all over. And I’ve just spotted that your nose cone is upside down! Such a clever way to get that ridged detail into the nose, I feel like I’m gushing now but it’s such a good moc, well done :) 

I hope it’s not too cheeky to ask but can you give us an idea of the Bricklink cost for the final build?

Edited by mcphatty

Great work, it looks even better made for real! It’s so solid too which is really impressive for a technic frame with panels all over. And I’ve just spotted that your nose cone is upside down! Such a clever way to get that ridged detail into the nose, I feel like I’m gushing now but it’s such a good moc, well done :) 

I hope it’s not too cheeky to ask but can you give us an idea of the Bricklink cost for the final build?

Ah thanks so much! The panels are 3-4 plates thick : ) Yeah the wings like to sway up and down, but that's just because of the gear solution to make the s-foils move, it's still very sturdy (like a tree in the wind haha). The nose cone was discovered by accident, as the only way it lined up with my Technic beam insert was upside down, then I noticed it actually matched the model better! I really appreciate the feedback.

Not at all, I am happy to answer cost related questions. I did have that in mind as I designed this model, as I wanted to use parts that were relatively cheaper on BL, and parts which I already had. The nice thing about the X-wing is that I could use grey and tan pieces if I didn't have a white one. Long story short, my costs were about 85 USD, but if you BL the entire thing it would probably be about 120 I am guessing :) 

Edited by wookieejedi

It looks great! And being sturdy enough to be held by the nose is something not many x-wing MOCs can claim so well done :sweet:

7 hours ago, Cypirate said:

It looks great! And being sturdy enough to be held by the nose is something not many x-wing MOCs can claim so well done :sweet:

Thanks! The bonus is that the side panels don't have to be constantly readjusted to look right sine there is a pin that holds the ball joint in place :)