Sign in to follow this  
Captain Genaro

[OL - Prospecting] A Hard Day's Work

A small prospecting build I made for Stéphanique. I tried experimenting with some of the new (well, new for me) ball-joint connectors to create the rock. I'm not sure how well I succeeded, but it has given me some ideas for future rockwork techniques. 

With the arrival of royal troops in Lavalette, Major Wolfgang Hochstetter was much happier, though his perpetual scowl didn't betray it. Company officials had been complaining for months about the lack of a geological survey, but until now he never had enough men to defend both the settlement and the survey teams. Now he did, and the men were surprisingly eager to volunteer for the duty. Hochstetter assumed it was their eagerness to earn his respect, but the truth of the matter was that it took them far away from the major and any other officers who might expect them to stand at attention and remain sober while on duty. Of course, it wasn't all fun and games. Bugs from rivers and putrid ponds swarmed the men and for some reason the survey men insisted on leaving the nice shade of the trees to clime around on rocks boiling under the hot tropical sun. Still, the soldiers were well prepared and with some liquid fortitude they managed to endure their difficult task.

27566468267_c2d9a2f90f_c.jpgA Hard Day's Work by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

I've been meaning to attempt ball-joint rock work for a while, but haven't yet got around to it. It looks really good here making the relatively small scene look very good. Good luck with the results!

Nice little build! Good luck on the results!

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, Ayrlego said:

I've been meaning to attempt ball-joint rock work for a while, but haven't yet got around to it. It looks really good here making the relatively small scene look very good. Good luck with the results!

Thank you. I'm not sure it would be a good technique for large-scale rockwork, but it could be used for smaller sections.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Nicely done! I think the angle adds a lot to the build.

Thank you.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, Django Fett said:

This is great! Love the hierarchy created by the angles and proportions. 

I'm glad you like it. 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, Mesabi said:

Nice little build! Good luck on the results!

Thank you for the comment. Hopefully the results are good.

Unfortunately this time, the results are not the gold that is rumoured to be present on the island. However, your efforts have discovered another valuable mineral, mercury.

2 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Unfortunately this time, the results are not the gold that is rumoured to be present on the island. However, your efforts have discovered another valuable mineral, mercury.

Still a pretty good roll. Thank you.

The rocks look great, your new technic worked very well here.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Bodi said:

The rocks look great, your new technic worked very well here.

Thanks, Bodi.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:58 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Any chance you took a picture from the other side of the rocks?

Unfortunately not for this build. I have another build using similar techniques, and I'll go ahead and take a behind the scenes photo for you. 

Very nice small build. Special way to make the rock, I am building an island myself with some rocks and this sure got me inspired to improve my rock-builds! Thanks and keep up the good work!