Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates's Speed Champions Scale Cars and Mods - Updated 30 Mar 2023: Pagani Zonda C12-S

Thanks for the invite! I make a point of avoiding Facebook, but it looks like a nice group. I did see, within a couple minutes of looking, a guy knocking off my work as his own - fun stuff. I had to have a bunch of his stolen work removed from Rebrickable already.

13 minutes ago, Carbohydrates said:

Thanks for the invite! I make a point of avoiding Facebook, but it looks like a nice group. I did see, within a couple minutes of looking, a guy knocking off my work as his own - fun stuff. I had to have a bunch of his stolen work removed from Rebrickable already.

Ok. Ken is the owner/admin of the group and I am his only moderator.

As always, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying my builds.

1967 Ford Mustang (10265)

I will confess, I am ridiculously excited to show this one to you guys. It's my most ambitious model so far. I really wanted to replicate the 10265 Creator Expert set, including the mechanism to raise the rear axle, and I did just that! I also made the various hot rod add-on bits as well.

DIl80F5t.jpg q86l57xt.jpg p3cZs3mt.jpg

PzNVlLgt.jpg

2015 Jeep Renegade

Another unique challenge, building a car like this in olive green! The idea for this one came from the realization that I could use a white Technic cross axle for the iconic X-shaped taillights. I'm not sure it's my BEST build ever, but given the limitations of scale and color, I'm very pleased with it!

CpFmJ1Bt.jpg Hm3np0St.jpg

Wow I love this thread. Minifig scale cars are on of my favorite things about Lego, and yours are great!

On 5/10/2021 at 5:08 PM, noahtheb said:

Wow I love this thread. Minifig scale cars are on of my favorite things about Lego, and yours are great!

Well thank you for your kind words! Here, have another!

1963 Chevrolet Nova SS

Well, I didn't want the '64 Fairlane gasser to get lonely, so I built it something to race against. This is a drag racing Nova with a lot of modifications, and one killer feature: the front bodywork hinges open to access the engine bay! Despite this, I'm proud to say it's a very sturdy, strong model.

3nCMUF9s.jpg p9aw24Es.jpg y4DOsaXs.jpg PvHBJ4gs.jpg C8BxOuss.jpg

3 hours ago, KMPMOCS said:

Man, this is brilliant stuff !

Agreed, you sure have knack for this!

1977 Pontiac Trans Am

I've actually been wanting to do this car for over a year now, I just never got around to finishing up a design. But here it is! Like some of my previous models, the roof of the cabin is raked back to give it clean lines, but that was much more difficult to achieve on this one. I'm most happy with the simplest elements here, such as the taillights and exhaust pipes.

8nAW4zct.jpg TVGZc2dt.jpg AXCQEKbt.jpg Vr6VSOYt.jpg

And as a bonus, here's a group photo of all of the original Speed Champions MOCs I've made (not the set mods, nor mods of other peoples' MOCs that I've done - only originals), but unfortunately I photographed this before I completed the Trans Am, so it's not pictured!

p7zxGPrt.jpg

Quite the collection there. All are great looking cars. I'm still a fan of the 6-wide Speed Champions, they work better in a city layout for me. Keep it up.

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

Quite the collection there. All are great looking cars. I'm still a fan of the 6-wide Speed Champions, they work better in a city layout for me. Keep it up.

Thank you! I like them as well, for exactly the same reason. Most of these are bound for a LUG city display, where 8-wide just wouldn't fit. And don't worry, plenty more a-comin'. I'm backlogged by... 6 more cars, I think, that I have completed designs for but I haven't finished physically building yet.

1969 Dodge Daytona

This has been one of my most requested builds, so I've finally built one. I re-built the nose several times, trying different techniques, before I settled on this: a subtle, angled hood, capped with a combination of 45 degree double slopes and curved wedges. The rear is pretty intricate and fragile, making this one very much a "display only" model.

AleYCz1t.jpg 553ZTcmt.jpg GpBu0RCt.jpg

I think the hood is greatly built! I also love the huge spoiler in the back. That is one of the main characteristics of the car, and you've captured it well.

On 6/7/2021 at 7:08 AM, noahtheb said:

I think the hood is greatly built! I also love the huge spoiler in the back. That is one of the main characteristics of the car, and you've captured it well.

Thanks! I appreciate your kind words. The hood and spoiler both took a lot of work and multiple rebuilds before I was finally happy with them.

Here's another new build finished:

1965 Ford Mustang Station Wagon

These are so goofy, I couldn't help but want to build one! I chose a pretty classic Mustang color scheme that allowed me to use a lot of pearl gold, which is really striking in person. The interior is 2-tone medium nougat and dark orange, too. Sculpting the recessed sides / intakes was a really fun challenge.

FVBTIIpt.jpg St6lKVUt.jpg bMQDNOzt.jpg

On 6/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, Carbohydrates said:

Hey, thanks! I don't know what that means, though.

Sorry.

I was asking if building instructions are available - for sale or for free?

1 hour ago, Zork said:

Sorry.

I was asking if building instructions are available - for sale or for free?

Oh, gotcha. Sure, I have a RB page most of these get posted on. The Daytona's instructions are free due to the strangeness of the techniques used - I don't like to charge people if I feel it's anything less than a smooth building experience: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-78585/Carbohydrates/1969-dodge-daytona/#details

On 6/18/2021 at 2:36 PM, Carbohydrates said:

Oh, gotcha. Sure, I have a RB page most of these get posted on. The Daytona's instructions are free due to the strangeness of the techniques used - I don't like to charge people if I feel it's anything less than a smooth building experience: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-78585/Carbohydrates/1969-dodge-daytona/#details

perfect :thumbup:

THX very much!

You're quite welcome!

Here's a little something else:

1999 Mercury Cougar

I mainly built this because it was my partner's very first car, but it was fun tackling a car shaped so differently than what I usually build. Plus, I finally got to do something in dark green! I'm especially pleased with how the headlights and taillights turned out on this one.

RdqWFmit.jpg 2PEbhxpt.jpg m0sISBMt.jpg

8 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

You're quite welcome!

Here's a little something else:

1999 Mercury Cougar

I mainly built this because it was my partner's very first car, but it was fun tackling a car shaped so differently than what I usually build. Plus, I finally got to do something in dark green! I'm especially pleased with how the headlights and taillights turned out on this one.

[image][image][image]

Hey that looks great! I love the gentle curve on the side where the doors would be.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:50 PM, Anonknee Muss said:

Hey that looks great! I love the gentle curve on the side where the doors would be.

Thanks! I've only gotten to use those big curved slopes on 2 cars so far, but they work really well for their purpose.

1985 Toyota Hilux 4 x 4

Marty's truck from Back To The Future! I started with the fenders and sculpted everything else out around those. This build uses 51 SNOT bricks and brackets, nearly 1/5 of all of its pieces. The wheels have independent suspension, though the large tires prevent much travel.

VXUVkkEt.jpg jFqDIJ9t.jpg

7 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

Thanks! I've only gotten to use those big curved slopes on 2 cars so far, but they work really well for their purpose.

You are welcome! Yeah they sure do, I will have to keep them in mind.

7 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

1985 Toyota Hilux 4 x 4

Marty's truck from Back To The Future! I started with the fenders and sculpted everything else out around those. This build uses 51 SNOT bricks and brackets, nearly 1/5 of all of its pieces. The wheels have independent suspension, though the large tires prevent much travel.

[image][image]

WOAH! Where do you find the time to build all of these? :laugh_hard: They are brilliant.