Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates's Speed Champions Scale Cars and Mods - Updated 30 Mar 2023: Pagani Zonda C12-S

7 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

WOAH! Where do you find the time to build all of these? :laugh_hard: They are brilliant.

Thanks! In honesty, I'm working through a backlog of completed designs right now. I have 3 more, finished and ready to be photographed and posted, with a couple more nearly completed behind those.

1969 Chevrolet Corvette C3

This was inspired by how much I disliked LEGO's official Speed Champions C3. In fact, I started working on it on the 2nd of May, immediately after images of the official build were revealed! I wanted to take my own shot at it in my preferred 6-wide scale. I focused largely on the aspects I thought came up short on the official one: the roof line, the windscreen, the curvature of the rear deck, and the shaping of the bodywork over the fender arches. I'll be honest, I'm completely thrilled with how this one turned out! I think it's one of my best and I almost made a new thread just to show this one off. Oh, also, the rear deck clip assembly that holds the luggage rack is easily reversible so the rack can be added or removed in seconds.

aZjKx9Ft.jpg 7474CBPt.jpg 0YWfAejt.jpg HtntzGSt.jpg 70vsCkit.jpg XBxwitMt.jpg

That looks insanely better than Lego's c3, and it's amazing how you made a 6 wide model look better than the 8 wide. Kudos to you!

Love the 6-wide Corvette. You definitely improved on the initial design while slimming it down.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:38 AM, noahtheb said:

That looks insanely better than Lego's c3, and it's amazing how you made a 6 wide model look better than the 8 wide. Kudos to you!

Thanks, that's very kind of you to say!

On 7/14/2021 at 11:05 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Love the 6-wide Corvette. You definitely improved on the initial design while slimming it down.

I appreciate it. That was my hope!

All right, another new one:

1940 GMC Pickup Truck

This is pretty outside of my ordinary range, but a viewer on my LEGO Twitch stream requested it, so here we are! It was pretty fun to shape, and I've never prominently used bright light yellow before. I'm particularly happy with the headlights, which took a while to solve.

bqLRJrKt.jpg wI8YbU8t.jpg

Been a minute since I posted anything here! All right, here's a couple: one I finished months ago, and one I finished a few days ago!

1977 Ford Falcon Sedan

This is, surprisingly, the first sedan I've built, so I made sure it fits a passenger in the back seat, too. This uses a more refined version of the technique I found for the Challenger's headlights, and I'm pleased with how clean this build is. It's based on a friend's specific car, in case any diehard Falcon fans are wondering why it has a non-factory spoiler on it.

N0OL24Gt.jpg Mm7o1v1t.jpg cmVqSA5t.jpg

1970 AMC Gremlin

I wanted to build this the moment I saw the new mudguards and color scheme on the van from the Avengers: Endgame Final Battle set. I'm pleased with how the angles came together on the rear, and "reddish brown" is yet another color I can tick off the list!

cLksI9gt.jpg VH0qy35t.jpg

Those C-Pillars on the Gremlin are so beautifully angled, and yet they are still flush with the body. Amazing job.

Yikes, been neglecting this thread for... almost a year, since I switched mainly over to Flickr/Insta. All right, here's an enormous update of what I've been up to in late 2021 and most of 2022!

1990 Geo Tracker

Designed for the Bricknerd / TLCB "Festival Of Mundanity." It's 4-wide, so scales about right with the 6-wide stuff. I'm quite pleased with this tiny thing and all its angles.

fUEElxft.jpg J6xvI0ft.jpg

1956 Ford Thunderbird

When the UK-exclusive Fiat 500 came out in bright light blue / light royal blue, I immediately knew I wanted to take advantage of all the new pieces in that color to build a SC-scale car. I chose the T-bird after I saw one in the wild. It's such a simple feature, but I'm very happy with the Technic bricks as porthole windows in the rear pillars.

miEbrXXt.jpg OQPbCf1t.jpg

2000 Plymouth Prowler

I tried building this car before but considered it to be impractical in 6-wide. I was inspired to try again when the new-for-2022 2 x 3 curved slope wedges came out, which I used to shape the nose. I'm actually really happy with this one now! It still fits a minifig, but just barely.

OGd2lxZt.jpg KCOou18t.jpg

1968 Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock

The new DB5 set brought us light bluish gray mudguard/fender pieces, at long last! I immediately knew what I wanted to build with mine: the legendary Hemi Dart, in its iconic factory primer/gelcoat color scheme. This one has some truly strange geometry and a nifty new C pillar design. My favorite detail is the paint rollers used for the short exhaust up front.

eZQTuGst.jpg AJ1AWSLt.jpg zmWncyLt.jpg

1969 "Ferrari" Dino 246 GT

This is one of my favorite cars I have ever built and I am immensely proud of it. It's very stable and super small. It's shorter in height than a minifig, but still fits a driver inside! I replicated the yellow Dino logo in the center of the wheels and steering wheel, and emulated the super interesting rear window that curves into the insides of the C pillars.

pMABbJ5t.jpg CWh6pCZt.jpg 9NDfMzAt.jpg YgTmdN1t.jpg cR7W77ut.jpg

1970 Plymouth Road Runner Drag Racer

I originally designed this as a regular, factory stock Road Runner, but the hood was kind of plain and I had all that extra space, so I decided to hot rod this one with a giant exposed engine. I also gave it some aftermarket short exhaust and aero (spoiler and air dam). There are two really unique things on this build: the rubber bands, used for redline tires and spark plug wires, and the slightly angled rear deck, which I have attempted less successfully in the past. The stickers are all from set 42037.

7Qec5hYt.jpg WoJJMJVt.jpg EgcqxMGt.jpg

I've also now done my first two 8-wide builds. I don't think I'll do many of these in the future, since I really do prefer how 6-wide scales to minifigures, City displays, and LUG layouts, but I can't deny it's fun having a little more room for detail.

1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally

I actually tried building this one in 6-wide first, but there wasn't enough space to shape the front fascia properly. I did take advantage of all this extra room to give it an immensely detailed interior, though, featuring a properly shaped dash, steering wheel with "logo", shifter, pedals, sculpted seats, and a fire extinguisher.

AKdKD30t.jpg PoqF4K8t.jpg pGGCa9Xt.jpg GK43H2qt.jpg

1972 Pontiac Grand Prix

This was a commission for a coworker who wanted me to build his dad's old car, a metallic copper Grand Prix. If he wasn't bankrolling this project, it would not have gotten built in this color, because some of these dark orange parts are very rare and expensive! The cabin is gently raked to achieve the right roofline, which limits interior detailing a little, but it still has the usual features. I'm very pleased with the tail.

EOyv1yxt.jpg vbyO9qit.jpg dyt4sAYt.jpg

10 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

Yikes, been neglecting this thread for... almost a year, since I switched mainly over to Flickr/Insta. All right, here's an enormous update of what I've been up to in late 2021 and most of 2022!

Got a link to said Insta/Flickr Pages?

On 9/27/2022 at 8:12 AM, Carbohydrates said:

1968 Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock

1970 Plymouth Road Runner Drag Racer

Wow these are my new favorite builds of yours! The Dart looks really clean, and I love the stickers and little details on the Plymouth! I recently built an 8 wide version of your C10 in black and have made it into a drag racer! If you want I can share pics! :)

On 10/28/2022 at 11:39 AM, whitepen said:

Wow these are my new favorite builds of yours! The Dart looks really clean, and I love the stickers and little details on the Plymouth! I recently built an 8 wide version of your C10 in black and have made it into a drag racer! If you want I can share pics! :)

Hey, thanks a ton! I'm really pleased with that last batch, too. I'd always be down to see some pics! I love when people get creative and put their own spin on my stuff.

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

I had the mostly-finished design for this thing kicking around for about a year before I finally got around to completing the build. The whole thing started with the idea to use crutches for the grill, and it ended up being a more complex build with a 5-wide cabin because I also really wanted to try this idea for a brick-built windscreen.

5vfpE05t.jpg QlSASBkt.jpg EGW3Rbxt.jpg

The Transgenderal Lee

Set mod of 76912. Mostly just a recolor to orange, but I did have to change parts of the nose, rear deck, pillars, and fenders to accommodate parts availability in this color. I'm very pleased with how the numbers on the sides turned out. I'm reluctant to post this one at all anymore because, despite being a pretty harmless pun, it has gotten me a tremendous amount of hatred and vitriol from users on many other websites. But, since I'm cataloguing every car I build here, up it goes.

cQp5jAit.jpg JcyVjrkt.jpg YiqiR5Ct.jpg

Can't believe it's been 5 months since I built a car. Well, here's something entirely different.

2002 Pagani Zonda C12-S

My first supercar, partially to prove (to myself) that I can do more than American classics, and partially because I wish LEGO had released the Zonda as a set instead of the Utopia! This is also, sadly, my first car that can't fit a minifig driver, but sacrifices had to be made to get this thing as low, sleek, and shapely as I could. I redesigned this one a couple times before I was satisfied. I'm especially pleased with the nose.

vJC0bTkt.jpg eNab1n1t.jpg hpkzb7nt.jpg rQ2SAq6t.jpg

The Cyclone is on my to-do list, def using this for inspiration.

The Gran Sport and Prowler are sexy

Edited by Henchmen4Hire