Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates's Speed Champions Scale Cars and Mods - Updated 30 Mar 2023: Pagani Zonda C12-S

I've been making a number of Speed Champions-scaled cars lately and I didn't want to spam up the forum with a bunch of threads, so I decided to put 'em all here! They're posted in the approximate order that I built them (many were worked on at the same time).

Original Builds:

1972 Datsun 240z

The color scheme is based on the 1972 Ontario Motor Speedway pace car livery. I'm most happy with the angled cabin and the dual exhaust.

ikW7yLat.jpg v3G89Vft.jpg VGMPr1Rt.jpg

1970 Oldsmobile 442 W30

The peak performance year for the 442! The ram air scoops are simply represented by 1x4 tiles - an older version of this build had a much more complex build for this section, but it made the car too tall, and the overall silhouette and shaping was more important to me. I'm most happy about the radiator grill and the tail lights.

6SPSAXWt.jpg 2ufq6Qut.jpg 1jvm0wPt.jpg XR8ZAwst.jpg

v.1.1 update: lower profile mirrors now that the little light cover piece comes in yellow.

Szt5Dlxt.jpg

v.2.0 update: I always wanted the hood intakes to be more sculpted and less flat, ideally with actual physical intakes so they don't just look like weird stripes. I went back and rebuilt a large amount of the car to achieve this!

seMXHiNt.jpg fVHaejBt.jpg

1968 Oldsmobile 442

I built the '70 first, but my dad's old car was a '68 so I felt like making this one as well. I think it turned out better, even. I do intend to change the vent just in front of the windscreen to make it a little more subtle. My favorite parts of this build are the side stripes and the 1/2 plate-raised portion of the hood.

XLHCYGtt.jpg H8BfKxzt.jpg 323Y9sGt.jpg

v.1.1 update: more subtle vent in front of the windscreen.

T95hshIt.jpg

1970 Chevrolet Camaro RS/Z28

Still my favorite car I've ever done. The seed piece for this build was the ice skate, which immediately jumped to mind when I saw the split bumper on the R/S version of the 2ng gen Camaro.

q80uXMNt.jpg wW0ZFqgt.jpg qZ2hmvXt.jpg

1969 AMC Super Stock AMX

Kind of an odd car; a 2-seater steel body muscle car with a short wheelbase. Essentially, a shortened Javelin. I built this in order to use the 2 blue wheel arches that came with the Ferrari Ultimate Garage set.

PjlMXHzt.jpg M2DaljTt.jpg 2rGf1Dyt.jpg

v.1.1 update: removed the sloped shoulders to make the build sleeker and more stable and consistent.

bdcakBut.jpg fwqqz8yt.jpg

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Yeah, not so much of a "speed" car. We bought a used one as a cheap second car a few months ago, so I was inspired to build it, so I'm throwing it in here anyway. This is easily the most complex, ridiculous build I've ever done. It has 265 pieces, 117 of which are attached sideways or upside-down.

gd1EuY5t.jpg DKrqTzwt.jpg w1GWTNCt.jpg

1972 Datsun 240z

A street car variant of the 240z I built before. Fender-mounted mirrors, simple non-sport wheels, single exit exhaust, no splitter, no spoiler, no livery.

RIiFc6Lt.jpg wNewyHjt.jpg 6UvkasVt.jpg HgysHfdt.jpg

1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda

This one took a really long time from concept to completion. I'm very happy with the color scheme and shaping, but I think it needs about an extra stud of length at the hood maybe? Will probably re-examine soon.

b3l6ECnt.jpg sai7OCVt.jpg K3jvWvqt.jpg

v.2.0 update: the previous version of this was always my least favorite car that I had built. It felt too short, too stubby, too low to the ground. It was just overall too small, especially placed next to any other SC car, and a bit... chunky. This is a complete overhaul and rebuild. I kept the old cabin, headlight/grill, and taillight designs. I lengthened the rear deck (and entire car) by one stud and increased its ride height by one plate. I redesigned the sides to be sleeker and accentuate the rocker panels better. The front and rear lower fascias were rebuilt as well to be a little sleeker and to highlight the exhaust pipes. The interior also had to be completely redone to accommodate the method used to build the new sides. Though it may look very similar at a glance, I believe this only has about 50% of its pieces in common with the original design. I sure like it a  lot more now!

Addr2e2t.jpg 6z9vbent.jpg

v.2.1 update: I still wasn't happy! I tweaked it a little more: I shortened the overall length again, but raised the cabin. I also swapped it over to the larger Speed Champions wheels, which are less realistic, but give it more of the caricature I'm after. It's now much closer in proportion to my '70 Challenger, as it should be, since the cars share a chassis.

IdARQ8Gt.jpg yLZyEYlt.jpg

1967 Pontiac GTO

I had the idea for the taillights from a failed attempt at a Firebird and it all came together from that. All of the metal trim on this one is flat silver instead of light gray, which is neat. It also has a more-detailed-than-usual cabin, with a reclining seat, shifter, wheel, gauge, and a hood-mounted tachometer visible from inside. Overall, one of my favorites.

2IbnFnGt.jpg nSFYhlUt.jpg hFs5qcFt.jpg wHZnLXSt.jpg lAHf2wLt.jpg

1970 Chevrolet C10 with tiny house

The truck is a classic C10 short bed. I'm quite happy with the gap between the cabin and the bed. The tiny house is hinged and has a full interior: a small kitchen with a microwave and a sink, a bathroom with a toilet and shower, folding chairs and a table that store on the wall, and stairs (with built-in storage) that lead to a lofted bed. Outside, it has a porch with stairs, gas and battery power, and folding chocks to support it when detached (or opened).

lkFrb0Ot.jpg OiXYbfzt.jpg zBTCljst.jpg IBYDB9Nt.jpg gAKWqMBt.jpg SUoKK04t.jpg qXGIAclt.jpg mEp73G0t.jpg tyfzBvIt.jpg

1969 AMC Hurst/SC Rambler

The livery was a ton of fun on this one. The arrow pointing to the scoop is the detail that made me want to attempt to build it in the first place. I also enjoyed the little details like the red, white, and blue headrest and the blue wheels.

dZHOtbtt.jpg zCs2v2pt.jpg x9NqpUgt.jpg ltIXT7it.jpg 7VU8QeWt.jpg

1970 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler

The geometry of the fascia is so fascinating on this car that I just had to try it. I really like the colors and form factor of this one. The taillights were interesting, too: friction-fitted with flexible rubber Technic elements.

8mzNsjdt.jpg sDzaFbbt.jpg 3YBWJDst.jpg

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 (John Wick's car)

I built this when I was getting hyped for John Wick 3 to come out. Finally had to try my hand at a Mustang. My favorite elements here are the raked cabin and the chin spoiler.

SO7u65xt.jpg y2EkddZt.jpg gHpkmA2t.jpg 6gs82F3t.jpg 9uFic16t.jpg

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback / Shelby GT500 (Eleanor from the 2000 remake of Gone in 60 Seconds)

My father-in-law saw my John Wick Mustang and loved it because he thought it was Eleanor. I told him it's not, but I can certainly make that one, too! I'm very happy with the shaping on the hood, plus getting the fascia to look right with the extra fog lamps.

oBmE0uZt.jpg DloA0kot.jpg rs0lWtJt.jpg

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee

The official 1970 Charger was a really cool build, but I really wanted its tail stripe to be brick-built. My desire to build such a thing led to this model instead, a Super Bee in classic yellow/black livery. This was my first attempt at double side-by-side headlights, using the somewhat classic binoculars technique. I also tried angling the whole tail to give it a sloped rear deck, but it just looks... saggy. That needs revising, I think. I really love the taillights, though!

COcS59yt.jpg BoL6Zopt.jpg

v.1.1 update: removed the angled tail and swapped the fenders for the newer Speed Champions ones, because the old City ones are ridiculously rare and expensive.

q5dMAoOt.jpg 8XPeUbLt.jpg

1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt

This model took me longer to design, from start to finish, than anything else I've made. It took so long to figure out how I even wanted to attempt the bodywork, much less accomplish it. I'm really pleased with it, though! I really like the front fenders and the fascias.

5qYbVplt.jpg KrppCSSt.jpg

1964 Ford Fairlane Gasser

I have wanted to try a gasser for a while. This one was really fun! I removed the hood, the "chrome", and the bumpers. I added a solid bar rear bumper and a lifted solid front axle. The front received a moon tank, and the exhaust was routed through the fenders. I finished it off with even fatter drag tires on the rear, angle cut velocity stacks, and a show car color scheme.

A9LgNcdt.jpg WzpS9aGt.jpg djFNsRmt.jpg qqFP552t.jpg qqnRh2Xt.jpg UsVZB6wt.jpg

1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition

I really wanted to try this one for the Hurst color scheme: white, dark tan, and gold. I went with a medium nougat interior, too. The big challenges here were the hood bulge shaping and the rear fender covers. I couldn't use the same technique from the Fairlane for the rear fenders because they have that gold trim on them, so I came up with a new method that involves bars nested into cheese slopes.

jB2u4a3t.jpg ArrMOCvt.jpg wS0QLSDt.jpg

1969 Chevrolet Nova SS

I am SO HAPPY with how this one came out! The big thing here is that the cabin and rear deck are vertically offset by 1/2 a plate in order to smooth out the profile, which required a custom chassis so it would still fit a minifig. I'm really happy with the shaping on the front fascia, but my favorite detail is actually the sloped rear edge of the hood bulge.

CP8nezqt.jpg p8PL0B9t.jpg 54sgANot.jpg kxCCPuct.jpg

v.1.1 update: it was pointed out to me that the front quarter panels were a little too angular, more closely evoking an El Camino or Chevelle than a Nova. Fair enough! Slight nose redesign.

AwZvDeKt.jpg

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T

I wanted to build a purple car for a long time, and somebody on Rebrickable showed me their recolor of the official SRT Demon in purple, so it inspired me to try a classic Challenger. I wanted to try something new for the headlights, since binoculars can be a bit clunky. My favorite detail is the use of light gray flag pieces to fill a gap between the taillights and the rear bumper.

lHHO0ykt.jpg VQm5XqUt.jpg 5xHAPGBt.jpg rQByxyht.jpg xl6vPest.jpg

1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine"

Every time I build an AMC, I gotta do the optional American color scheme. The livery is super interesting on this one, and I love the combination hood scoop/external tachometer. My favorite detail is the R/W/B stripes in the front fascia.

v2vJcZjt.jpg 9DI14Xht.jpg QoXophXt.jpg 6ZQ7HpHt.jpg l9qMoPOt.jpg A45q2mgt.jpg

1979 Ford Mustang

This turned out to be a tricky one, especially since I really wanted to build a car in dark red, which introduced a lot of parts limitations. The internals of this thing are a lot of weird connections jammed into a very tight space, especially since it still has a full interior for a minifig. It's also not any specific model or trim package, because I wanted to build several iconic elements of the model year: the window louvers, hood scoop, black trim stripe, sun roof, and spoiler.

cDZ6V4dt.jpg frKHSlvt.jpg t4Jjntwt.jpg PToY4mkt.jpg

1981 Chevrolet El Camino

An El Camino is probably the car I've gotten the most requests for ever, so here's an '81 - specifically, the one that appeared in the series finale of Breaking Bad, and of course the standalone El Camino. This was a bit of a collaborative build, as some of the best ideas (like building the hood stripes sideways) came from a friend on another forum. I had some fun making the minifig to match, too.

0SugXcEt.jpg Tq6XxFrt.jpg 5ETs2bWt.jpg wMeCDmft.jpg

"Death Proof" 1971 Chevrolet Nova

Since I made a Nova a little bit ago (February, I think?), it made sense to build Stuntman Mike's unique Death Proof Nova as well. It's a very similar build, with a couple of things changed out of necessity in the color swap, but I also redesigned the front fascia. As much as I love how the front end was built on the original Nova model, someone on Rebrickable (correctly) pointed out that the aggressive angle looked more like a Chevelle than a Nova. This new build feels less clever, but is undoubtedly more accurate to the real car. The graphics on the hood are custom UV printed because I don't really like stickers.

59C6RV3t.jpg fSkaxDJt.jpg XM4f26nt.jpg

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

This one was modeled after a car my dad's wife owned when she was young, a lime '71 Chevelle SS 350 coupe with a white top and stripes. This was a super fun build with some novel shaping, such as the gently sloped hood bits, the 1/5 stud recessed rear deck, and the bodywork under the rear bumper. Also, I was really happy to finally build an original design in lime green. I really like the citrus-toned high impact colors.

sUHw09mt.jpg lI0kjFKt.jpg BoqM0ypt.jpg aPzak3dt.jpg

v.1.1 update: This one was too long. The nose was simply too lengthy for such a small car. It, and the wheelbase, were reduced. I swapped it over to smaller tires and gave it sleeker, more caricatured B and C pillars as well.

8b0xr4ot.jpg zamroIYt.jpg

1973 Buick Gran Sport

I think this is my new favorite build. There were a lot of curves and angles to figure out and it was a very fun to design. I redesigned the rear of the cabin several times until I was satisfied with the pillars, but they're now the highlight of the model, I think. Almost every part of this build required some kind of weird trick to make it work the way I wanted.

oQVHNkgt.jpg IAY8HDEt.jpg N79gEGit.jpg HMU9ARQt.jpg

1983 Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno

I tried this one a few different ways before I landed on this design, including 5 and 7-wide, but I feel like the classic 6-wide ended up getting me the most streamlined, finished-looking result. I'm particularly happy with the rear side window geometry - that's a 1x2 - 2x4 bracket angled against the top of the lower 18 degree slope, perfectly filling the 1/2 plate gap between it and the adjacent, higher 18 degree slope and giving me a surface to attach the C pillar tiles to. Also has the requisite paper water cup inside.

t9uMAfDt.jpg 6cHedi1t.jpg AHslyDCt.jpg

1967 Ford Mustang (10265)

I will confess, I am ridiculously excited to show this one to you guys. It's my most ambitious model so far. I really wanted to replicate the 10265 Creator Expert set, including the mechanism to raise the rear axle, and I did just that! I also made the various hot rod add-on bits as well.

DIl80F5t.jpg q86l57xt.jpg p3cZs3mt.jpg

PzNVlLgt.jpg

2015 Jeep Renegade

Another unique challenge, building a car like this in olive green! The idea for this one came from the realization that I could use a white Technic cross axle for the iconic X-shaped taillights. I'm not sure it's my BEST build ever, but given the limitations of scale and color, I'm very pleased with it!

CpFmJ1Bt.jpg Hm3np0St.jpg

1963 Chevrolet Nova SS

Well, I didn't want the '64 Fairlane gasser to get lonely, so I built it something to race against. This is a drag racing Nova with a lot of modifications, and one killer feature: the front bodywork hinges open to access the engine bay! Despite this, I'm proud to say it's a very sturdy, strong model.

3nCMUF9s.jpg p9aw24Es.jpg y4DOsaXs.jpg PvHBJ4gs.jpg C8BxOuss.jpg

1977 Pontiac Trans Am

I've actually been wanting to do this car for over a year now, I just never got around to finishing up a design. But here it is! Like some of my previous models, the roof of the cabin is raked back to give it clean lines, but that was much more difficult to achieve on this one. I'm most happy with the simplest elements here, such as the taillights and exhaust pipes.

8nAW4zct.jpg TVGZc2dt.jpg AXCQEKbt.jpg Vr6VSOYt.jpg

1969 Dodge Daytona

This has been one of my most requested builds, so I've finally built one. I re-built the nose several times, trying different techniques, before I settled on this: a subtle, angled hood, capped with a combination of 45 degree double slopes and curved wedges. The rear is pretty intricate and fragile, making this one very much a "display only" model.

AleYCz1t.jpg 553ZTcmt.jpg GpBu0RCt.jpg

1965 Ford Mustang Station Wagon

These are so goofy, I couldn't help but want to build one! I chose a pretty classic Mustang color scheme that allowed me to use a lot of pearl gold, which is really striking in person. The interior is 2-tone medium nougat and dark orange, too. Sculpting the recessed sides / intakes was a really fun challenge.

FVBTIIpt.jpg St6lKVUt.jpg bMQDNOzt.jpg

1999 Mercury Cougar

I mainly built this because it was my partner's very first car, but it was fun tackling a car shaped so differently than what I usually build. Plus, I finally got to do something in dark green! I'm especially pleased with how the headlights and taillights turned out on this one.

RdqWFmit.jpg 2PEbhxpt.jpg m0sISBMt.jpg

1985 Toyota Hilux 4 x 4

Marty's truck from Back To The Future! I started with the fenders and sculpted everything else out around those. This build uses 51 SNOT bricks and brackets, nearly 1/5 of all of its pieces. The wheels have independent suspension, though the large tires prevent much travel.

VXUVkkEt.jpg jFqDIJ9t.jpg

1969 Chevrolet Corvette C3

This was inspired by how much I disliked LEGO's official Speed Champions C3. In fact, I started working on it on the 2nd of May, immediately after images of the official build were revealed! I wanted to take my own shot at it in my preferred 6-wide scale. I focused largely on the aspects I thought came up short on the official one: the roof line, the windscreen, the curvature of the rear deck, and the shaping of the bodywork over the fender arches. I'll be honest, I'm completely thrilled with how this one turned out! I think it's one of my best and I almost made a new thread just to show this one off. Oh, also, the rear deck clip assembly that holds the luggage rack is easily reversible so the rack can be added or removed in seconds.

aZjKx9Ft.jpg 7474CBPt.jpg 0YWfAejt.jpg HtntzGSt.jpg 70vsCkit.jpg XBxwitMt.jpg

1940 GMC Pickup Truck

This is pretty outside of my ordinary range, but a viewer on my LEGO Twitch stream requested it, so here we are! It was pretty fun to shape, and I've never prominently used bright light yellow before. I'm particularly happy with the headlights, which took a while to solve.

bqLRJrKt.jpg wI8YbU8t.jpg

1977 Ford Falcon Sedan

This is, surprisingly, the first sedan I've built, so I made sure it fits a passenger in the back seat, too. This uses a more refined version of the technique I found for the Challenger's headlights, and I'm pleased with how clean this build is. It's based on a friend's specific car, in case any diehard Falcon fans are wondering why it has a non-factory spoiler on it.

N0OL24Gt.jpg Mm7o1v1t.jpg cmVqSA5t.jpg

1970 AMC Gremlin

I wanted to build this the moment I saw the new mudguards and color scheme on the van from the Avengers: Endgame Final Battle set. I'm pleased with how the angles came together on the rear, and "reddish brown" is yet another color I can tick off the list!

cLksI9gt.jpg VH0qy35t.jpg

1990 Geo Tracker

Designed for the Bricknerd / TLCB "Festival Of Mundanity." It's 4-wide, so scales about right with the 6-wide stuff. I'm quite pleased with this tiny thing and all its angles.

fUEElxft.jpg J6xvI0ft.jpg

1956 Ford Thunderbird

When the UK-exclusive Fiat 500 came out in bright light blue / light royal blue, I immediately knew I wanted to take advantage of all the new pieces in that color to build a SC-scale car. I chose the T-bird after I saw one in the wild. It's such a simple feature, but I'm very happy with the Technic bricks as porthole windows in the rear pillars.

miEbrXXt.jpg OQPbCf1t.jpg

2000 Plymouth Prowler

I tried building this car before but considered it to be impractical in 6-wide. I was inspired to try again when the new-for-2022 2 x 3 curved slope wedges came out, which I used to shape the nose. I'm actually really happy with this one now! It still fits a minifig, but just barely.

OGd2lxZt.jpg KCOou18t.jpg

1968 Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock

The new DB5 set brought us light bluish gray mudguard/fender pieces, at long last! I immediately knew what I wanted to build with mine: the legendary Hemi Dart, in its iconic factory primer/gelcoat color scheme. This one has some truly strange geometry and a nifty new C pillar design. My favorite detail is the paint rollers used for the short exhaust up front.

eZQTuGst.jpg AJ1AWSLt.jpg zmWncyLt.jpg

1969 "Ferrari" Dino 246 GT

This is one of my favorite cars I have ever built and I am immensely proud of it. It's very stable and super small. It's shorter in height than a minifig, but still fits a driver inside! I replicated the yellow Dino logo in the center of the wheels and steering wheel, and emulated the super interesting rear window that curves into the insides of the C pillars.

pMABbJ5t.jpg CWh6pCZt.jpg 9NDfMzAt.jpg YgTmdN1t.jpg cR7W77ut.jpg

1970 Plymouth Road Runner Drag Racer

I originally designed this as a regular, factory stock Road Runner, but the hood was kind of plain and I had all that extra space, so I decided to hot rod this one with a giant exposed engine. I also gave it some aftermarket short exhaust and aero (spoiler and air dam). There are two really unique things on this build: the rubber bands, used for redline tires and spark plug wires, and the slightly angled rear deck, which I have attempted less successfully in the past. The stickers are all from set 42037.

7Qec5hYt.jpg WoJJMJVt.jpg EgcqxMGt.jpg

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

I had the mostly-finished design for this thing kicking around for about a year before I finally got around to completing the build. The whole thing started with the idea to use crutches for the grill, and it ended up being a more complex build with a 5-wide cabin because I also really wanted to try this idea for a brick-built windscreen.

5vfpE05t.jpg QlSASBkt.jpg EGW3Rbxt.jpg

2002 Pagani Zonda C12-S

My first supercar, partially to prove (to myself) that I can do more than American classics, and partially because I wish LEGO had released the Zonda as a set instead of the Utopia! This is also, sadly, my first car that can't fit a minifig driver, but sacrifices had to be made to get this thing as low, sleek, and shapely as I could. I redesigned this one a couple times before I was satisfied. I'm especially pleased with the nose.

vJC0bTkt.jpg eNab1n1t.jpg hpkzb7nt.jpg rQ2SAq6t.jpg

8-wide: I've also now done some 8-wide builds. I don't think I'll do many of these in the future, since I really do prefer how 6-wide scales to minifigures, City displays, and LUG layouts, but I can't deny it's fun having a little more room for detail.

1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally

I actually tried building this one in 6-wide first, but there wasn't enough space to shape the front fascia properly. I did take advantage of all this extra room to give it an immensely detailed interior, though, featuring a properly shaped dash, steering wheel with "logo", shifter, pedals, sculpted seats, and a fire extinguisher.

AKdKD30t.jpg PoqF4K8t.jpg pGGCa9Xt.jpg GK43H2qt.jpg

1972 Pontiac Grand Prix

This was a commission for a coworker who wanted me to build his dad's old car, a metallic copper Grand Prix. If he wasn't bankrolling this project, it would not have gotten built in this color, because some of these dark orange parts are very rare and expensive! The cabin is gently raked to achieve the right roofline, which limits interior detailing a little, but it still has the usual features. I'm very pleased with the tail.

EOyv1yxt.jpg vbyO9qit.jpg dyt4sAYt.jpg

Modifications: everything below is a modification of somebody else's design; in this case either LEGO or my favorite builder Jonathan Elliott. That is to say, I am not the creator of any of the following original designs, I have only tweaked and modified them.

1966 Ford GT40

From set 75881. I really love this car! 75881 is my favorite Speed Champions set so I didn't want to change much - I just wanted to lower it, because the original car is legendarily short (the "40" in GT40 refers to a height of 40 inches/102cm). The smaller City-scale wheels I used are extremely uncommon a quantity of only 1 was provided in just 1 Architecture set (but as of 2020, Pearl Gold is now available and much more common). Oh, and despite being dramatically lowered, it still fits a minifig!

z5OTS9vt.jpg yANgPDCt.jpg lnhYZg8t.jpg

1974 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.0

From set 75888. Very minor mods here: I just enclosed the cabin in glass using 1 x 2 x 3 panels and added spokes to the wheels using the Technic 3L axle with a stud on the end. Enclosing the cabin this way was sort of a proof of concept that I later used on the Olds 442 builds above.

LQrL9AUt.jpg giVYlI0t.jpg

1971 Lamborghini Miura P400SV

Original by Jonathan Elliott. I love the original model and wanted one of my own, so I reverse engineered it from breakdown photos he'd posted, and then started changing things to suit me better. My modified version fits a minifig and has a tan leather interior, flush rocker panels, new rocker panel intake scoops, chrome exhaust, and some slightly altered connections and structure. Again, all credit to Jonathan Elliott for the original design and for his blessing to show off my modified version.

c3EOJK0t.jpg JT0glQBt.jpg KOkpEKKt.jpg

Ford Model A hot rod

From set 75875. The original had a really ridiculous rake due to the giant rear tires and lowered rear axle. I leveled the axles, chopped/dropped the top, lowered the engine bay, and changed the exhaust to more of an open header design (though with only 2 pipes per side, maybe it's more like two open collectors). I retained the swappable engine feature, and added a third engine with velocity stacks.

kTkKVjAt.jpg uPCvl7Ht.jpg dZUaOujt.jpg

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

From set 75874. The original is my least favorite Speed Champions set by far, so this build has some extensive revisions. Most importantly, I lowered the body, reduced (but retained) the rake, moved the cabin back, and gave it a rear windshield.

Rb6rDCkt.jpg ypsyj8bt.jpg htiywf8t.jpg

1970 Dodge Charger R/T

From set 75893. I like this model a lot, but I don't love the tiny little rear window, so I made a new one with staggered cheese slopes.

79iA7sct.jpg 9fk5fv9t.jpg oaNceZEt.jpg t95dV2It.jpg

v.1.1 update: brick-built the red stripe on the tail, too.

3f9qdebt.jpg pUvVN8ht.jpg

1965 Ford Mustang / Hoonicorn V1

Original by LEGO as a gift to Ken Block, though this is based more on its prototype and the original concept art. I really wanted this to become an official set (and a lot of us thought it would), but when it didn't make the cut, I modified the heck out of it and made my own. This is more of a MOC than a mod at this point, but it does retain the original proportions and overall shaping, so it's more fair to call it a mod still. I'm most happy with the shaping of the tail and rear fascia. The headlights required some extreme lateral thinking, but it's a working, legal connection.

oxV0bxHt.jpg hQVoHWwt.jpg

v.1.1 update: sleeker C pillar, since the "hollow 45 degree slope" piece now comes in black.

B1itDiCt.jpg oFQDIe6t.jpg

1974 Lancia Stratos HF Stradale

Original by Jonathan Elliott. Again, he's my favorite builder, and I wanted to take another crack at one of his amazing models. At first, I only wanted to modify it to allow a minifig to fit, but I ended up changing quite a bit: the sides are rounded, the rear deck is a bit extended and less gappy, the tail is more rounded and indicators are added, the exhaust was reshaped, and the louvers were re-done to use panel pieces. Of course an interior was added with textured seat, wheel, and gauges.

5ue8Km0t.jpg YObIoYft.jpg iWLdjfqt.jpg tbgyPEzt.jpg 6Vom8QHt.jpg

1980 Chevrolet K5 Blazer

From set 75810. Just a recolor and stud delete, mainly. I really loved the K5 but didn't want the whole set, and teal has been making such a comeback, this seemed like a fun choice. I did have to redesign the internals for the hood/grill around the limited part selection in this color, though.

NKjTaRIt.jpg eVGNqeOt.jpg

The Transgenderal Lee

Set mod of 76912. Mostly just a recolor to orange, but I did have to change parts of the nose, rear deck, pillars, and fenders to accommodate parts availability in this color. I'm very pleased with how the numbers on the sides turned out. I'm reluctant to post this one at all anymore because, despite being a pretty harmless pun, it has gotten me a tremendous amount of hatred and vitriol from users on many other websites. But, since I'm cataloguing every car I build here, up it goes.

cQp5jAit.jpg JcyVjrkt.jpg YiqiR5Ct.jpg

Edited by Carbohydrates
Added Pagani Zonda

As a Speed Champions fan it is great to see your designs and mods. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing more of your great vehicles.

The Datsun is so cool! It could easy be a original Speed Champions set! 

The lowered Ford GT really makes a huge difference - for the better! Much closer to the original!

And who dosen't love the Miura? I wish I had the pieces to build my own.

These are fantastic. The GT40 and Z are particularly keen tho it's clear that other builds like the Camaro really benefit from the lower, further-back re-working.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Also, I just finished up another car.

1969 AMC Super Stock AMX. Kind of an odd car; a 2-seater steel body muscle car with a short wheelbase. Essentially, a shortened Javelin. I built this in order to use the 2 blue wheel arches that came with the Ferrari Ultimate Garage set.

PjlMXHzt.jpg M2DaljTt.jpg 2rGf1Dyt.jpg

Edited by Carbohydrates

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Yeah, not so much of a "speed" car but we bought a used one as a cheap second car a few months ago, so I was inspired to build it so I'm throwing it in here anyway. This is easily the most complex, ridiculous build I've ever done. It has 265 pieces, 117 of which are attached sideways or upside-down.

gd1EuY5t.jpg DKrqTzwt.jpg w1GWTNCt.jpg

Oh hey, I haven't updated this thread in... a year and a half? Okay! Updated OP with 15 new original models and 4 new mods. Should be up to date now.

Somehow missed this thread first time around. Glad I saw it this time though. 

Exceptional choice of vehicles to reproduce, personal favorite is the cyclone although these are all very well done and it shows you put a lot of thought into your model's. 

Highly impressed, glad to see the update. Really can't say how much I enjoyed these builds. 

Edited by Johnny1360

16 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Somehow missed this thread first time around. Glad I saw it this time though. 

Exceptional choice of vehicles to reproduce, personal favorite is the cyclone although these are all very well done and it shows you put a lot of thought into your model's. 

Highly impressed, glad to see the update. Really can't say how much I enjoyed these builds. 

Thank you, you're very kind! The Cyclone was a real challenge. When the official Dodge Charger set came out, a lightbulb went off when I built its taillight assembly, and some of the same geometry was used to get the Cyclone's fascia right.

My personal favorites are these, in this order:

• #5: 1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine"
  • #4: 1972 Datsun 240z pace car
  • #3: 1967 Ford Mustang "Eleanor"
  • #2: 1969 Chevrolet Nova SS
  • #1: 1970 Chevrolet Camaro RS/Z28

QMoYyCWt.jpg

1979 Ford Mustang

This turned out to be a tricky one, especially since I really wanted to build a car in dark red, which introduced a lot of parts limitations. The internals of this thing are a lot of weird connections jammed into a very tight space, especially since it still has a full interior for a minifig. It's also not any specific model or trim package, because I wanted to build several iconic elements of the model year: the window louvers, hood scoop, black trim stripe, sun roof, and spoiler.

cDZ6V4dt.jpg frKHSlvt.jpg t4Jjntwt.jpg PToY4mkt.jpg

Don't much a fan of that jeep but the rest ...
Most are looking cool and some are even cooler :classic: There are a lot looking cool but those muscle cars are one of my favourites, especially the older ones.

And all those cars are so recognizable.

On 3/27/2020 at 4:28 PM, neonic said:

Don't much a fan of that jeep but the rest ...
Most are looking cool and some are even cooler :classic: There are a lot looking cool but those muscle cars are one of my favourites, especially the older ones.

And all those cars are so recognizable.

Thank you, I appreciate it! I kind of build more in a "caricature" style than a hyper realistic one, so "recognizable" at a glance is the key. Anyway, here's a new build!

1981 Chevrolet El Camino

An El Camino is probably the car I've gotten the most requests for ever, so here's an '81 - specifically, the one that appeared in the series finale of Breaking Bad, and of course the standalone El Camino. This was a bit of a collaborative build, as some of the best ideas (like building the hood stripes sideways) came from a friend on another forum. I had some fun making the minifig to match, too.

0SugXcEt.jpg Tq6XxFrt.jpg 5ETs2bWt.jpg wMeCDmft.jpg

The Cyclone is my favorite because of the distinct nose. I recently posted a Ginetta Akula, which also has a funky nose, and like the challenge they pose.

13 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

The Cyclone is my favorite because of the distinct nose. I recently posted a Ginetta Akula, which also has a funky nose, and like the challenge they pose.

The Cyclone's nose was a lot of fun! I had wanted to build this car for a little while and couldn't really figure out how to make the geometry work in front to fit everything into place. Then, in 2019, the Dodge Charger/Challenger set came out, and it was brilliant. I borrowed the geometry of the Charger's taillights and applied it to the Cyclone's fascia and it was about perfect.

13 hours ago, NewTown said:

You should publish a book with instructions. I would buy it!

Thanks, you're very kind! I don't have a book, but I do have a Rebrickable account that has nearly all of these posted to it. I won't link it directly because that feels spammy, but you can search for my username or any of these specific cars on there and you should find it.

Thank you so much! Will they all fit a minifig inside?

Edited by NewTown

On 4/28/2020 at 8:44 PM, NewTown said:

Thank you so much! Will they all fit a minifig inside?

Yup! every one can fit a fig, and almost all of them have detailed interiors for the minifigs, too, with steering wheels, gauges, and nice seats.

1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda

v.2.0 update: the previous version of this was always my least favorite car that I had built. It felt too short, too stubby, too low to the ground. It was just overall too small, especially placed next to any other SC car, and a bit... chunky. This is a complete overhaul and rebuild. I kept the old cabin, headlight/grill, and taillight designs. I lengthened the rear deck (and entire car) by one stud and increased its ride height by one plate. I redesigned the sides to be sleeker and accentuate the rocker panels better. The front and rear lower fascias were rebuilt as well to be a little sleeker and to highlight the exhaust pipes. The interior also had to be completely redone to accommodate the method used to build the new sides. Though it may look very similar at a glance, I believe this only has about 50% of its pieces in common with the original design. I sure like it a  lot more now!

Addr2e2t.jpg 6z9vbent.jpg

"Death Proof" 1971 Chevrolet Nova

Since I made a Nova a little bit ago (February, I think?), it made sense to build Stuntman Mike's unique Death Proof Nova as well. It's a very similar build, with a couple of things changed out of necessity in the color swap, but I also redesigned the front fascia. As much as I love how the front end was built on the original Nova model, someone on Rebrickable (correctly) pointed out that the aggressive angle looked more like a Chevelle than a Nova. This new build feels less clever, but is undoubtedly more accurate to the real car. The graphics on the hood are custom UV printed because I don't really like stickers.

59C6RV3t.jpg fSkaxDJt.jpg XM4f26nt.jpg

Love the Death Proof Nova! Custom prints are spot on. Maybe a blood splatter on the grille (or a flying severed leg) for some extra detail :D

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

This one was modeled after a car my dad's wife owned when she was young, a lime '71 Chevelle SS 350 coupe with a white top and stripes. This was a super fun build with some novel shaping, such as the gently sloped hood bits, the 1/5 stud recessed rear deck, and the bodywork under the rear bumper. Also, I was really happy to finally build an original design in lime green. I really like the citrus-toned high impact colors.

sUHw09mt.jpg lI0kjFKt.jpg BoqM0ypt.jpg aPzak3dt.jpg

On 5/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, electropie said:

Love the Death Proof Nova! Custom prints are spot on. Maybe a blood splatter on the grille (or a flying severed leg) for some extra detail :D

Ha! If I did that, I don't think I could build the car in as nice a condition as I did!

1973 Buick Gran Sport

I think this is my new favorite build. There were a lot of curves and angles to figure out and it was a very fun to design. I redesigned the rear of the cabin several times until I was satisfied with the pillars, but they're now the highlight of the model, I think. Almost every part of this build required some kind of weird trick to make it work the way I wanted.

oQVHNkgt.jpg IAY8HDEt.jpg N79gEGit.jpg HMU9ARQt.jpg

Edited by Carbohydrates

Wow, been a long time since I updated this, huh? Didn't do a lot of cars in the back half of last year, but I'm back at it again.

1983 Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno

I tried this one a few different ways before I landed on this design, including 5 and 7-wide, but I feel like the classic 6-wide ended up getting me the most streamlined, finished-looking result. I'm particularly happy with the rear side window geometry - that's a 1x2 - 2x4 bracket angled against the top of the lower 18 degree slope, perfectly filling the 1/2 plate gap between it and the adjacent, higher 18 degree slope and giving me a surface to attach the C pillar tiles to. Also has the requisite paper water cup inside.

t9uMAfDt.jpg 6cHedi1t.jpg AHslyDCt.jpg

Very nice indeed.

Your 240 z's in particular are absolutely tremendous.

I really appreciate you working at 6-wide with the 240 z's too. That can be so difficult. I can imagine a classic Alfa Romeo Guilia or Montreal being built based upon your technique with the 240 z's.

Great photography too. It can be quite tricky photographing the 6-wide speed champions.

That's a really cool looking AE86, man!  :thumbup:   In fact all your 6-wides look awesome!  They're all instantly recognisable too! 

Going back to the Toyota, those lipstick wing mirrors are a genius touch!  :)