Sign in to follow this  
Fenghuang0296

Upgrading Lockwood Estate?

So, I got both 75930 Indoraptor Rampage at Lockwood Estate and 41340 Friendship House (which I have unconverted into a fire station), with the intention of putting the 40-stud wide Estate and 24-stud-wide House together to create a 64-stud-long facade - I.E. equal to the length of two baseplates. And I did. It looks awesome. (Incidentally, I've put more Jurassic World stuff behind it to create an interior that's partly a basement, and that's all good too.)

But I find myself really turned off by how monochrome and dull the mostly-tan Lockwood Estate is. But I don't have the budget to completely recolour the whole thing. So I'm thinking the best way to make the facade pop is to take the 16 1x1x6 pillar parts around the main windows, as well as the 1x1 plates and 2x2 macaroni tiles that comprise the central window, and change them to a different colour entirely. (I'm okay with using 1x1 plates in place of 1x1 tiles.)

Unfortunately, there are only three colours that all of these parts exist in; red, light bluish grey, and Pearl gold. And it's pretty obvious that red won't go well with the tan and medium dark flesh. So I'm trying to toss up between grey and gold. Is there anyone thinking something similar who can give me some advice?

I thought the colour tan is reasonably accurate.

23735191_1970640529925903_87419898517562

An alternative would be to use other natural colour accents (so dark tan and flesh, browns, dark orange, the odd bit of grey, etc) using 1x2 or 1x1 plates in the brick work to break up the tan a bit. You don't need much to make a wall look more natural. 

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I thought the colour tan is reasonably accurate.

An alternative would be to use other natural colour accents (so dark tan and flesh, browns, dark orange, the odd bit of grey, etc) using 1x2 or 1x1 plates in the brick work to break up the tan a bit. You don't need much to make a wall look more natural. 

Accuracy isn't my concern. In the 'lore' of my village, this Lockwood Estate is a separate building to the one in the movie anyway. I'm trying to improve the actual model as something that is independent of the source material.

Besides, that picture looks nothing like the actual model anyway. The roof is totally different. And the windows vastly differ too. Not to mention the shaping of the roof. Making the model look like a representation of that place is futile to begin with. 

Just now, Feng-huang0296 said:

Accuracy isn't my concern. In the 'lore' of my village, this Lockwood Estate is a separate building to the one in the movie anyway. I'm trying to improve the actual model as something that is independent of the source material.

So use whatever colour you like, or is cheapest, or you have available. If it doesn't need to look like anything in particular, you have complete freedom.

Personally, I'd be opening up the front central section with more windows, as they break up large expanses of wall.