BrickMonkeyMOCs

[MOC] Star Trek USS Enterprise

This is a model I've just recently finished on commission. The goal was to create a model of the iconic USS Enterprise from Star Trek with a Millennium Falcon-style petal-opening bridge that would fit a minifigure-scale interior. Obviously, a truly minifig-scale Enterprise would be a massive model, so the idea was rather to achieve something like the 10198 Tantive IV set where the scale of the interior differs from that of the actual ship. Accordingly, the full interior of the main hull here represents what in 'reality' would be a small section at the center top of the main hull. It has space for five minifigs seated centrally under the top 8x8 dish, and when the panels are opened this exposes the rest of the bridge interior where these figures can then be moved around.

27549777387_7538585dfa_c.jpg

Instructions now available HERE.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

This is a very nice Enterprise.  Off the top of my head, it's the best one I can remember seeing.  The choice of a Millennium Falcon style petal fold for the saucer lets the warp engines be small enough to support with conventional construction techniques, while still looking good for display and sturdy for play.  I've thought about buying the Mega Construx Enterprise, but each time I decided not to because its one-piece nacelle struts and other large parts for finish detail seem like such clumsy solutions.  You show that a handsome display Enterprise doesn't need those cheats.  Thanks for posting.

That's lovely!  Can we get some more shots and maybe see that interior you're talking about?  I'm a Trekkie and definitely feel ST is a bit under-represented in Lego, so always nice to see a Star Trek MOC!  :sweet:

icm - I totally agree with you on the Megabloks Enterprise.  It looks nice, but it may as well be a traditional model kit since it has no creative solutions to the build.

On 5/29/2018 at 5:16 PM, icm said:

This is a very nice Enterprise.  Off the top of my head, it's the best one I can remember seeing.  The choice of a Millennium Falcon style petal fold for the saucer lets the warp engines be small enough to support with conventional construction techniques, while still looking good for display and sturdy for play.  I've thought about buying the Mega Construx Enterprise, but each time I decided not to because its one-piece nacelle struts and other large parts for finish detail seem like such clumsy solutions.  You show that a handsome display Enterprise doesn't need those cheats.  Thanks for posting.

Thanks. The best Enterprise I've seen is this one which I came across during initial research. The Mega Construx model certainly looks great too. Both of these models are significantly larger than my present design though, where the goal was to keep it as small as possible while still achieving the opening bridge with minifigs inside.

On 5/29/2018 at 7:09 PM, deraven said:

That's lovely!  Can we get some more shots and maybe see that interior you're talking about?  I'm a Trekkie and definitely feel ST is a bit under-represented in Lego, so always nice to see a Star Trek MOC!  :sweet:

icm - I totally agree with you on the Megabloks Enterprise.  It looks nice, but it may as well be a traditional model kit since it has no creative solutions to the build.

Thanks. There's an outer octagonal perimeter of 1x2 cheese slope computers, and a lower inner circle containing the captains chair and a computer console for helm and navigation. The inner circle transitions via steps in the forward, rear, left, and right positions, with rails around the rest of this circle. The captain's chair is brick-built, with printed 1x2 tiles with buttons on each armrest.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

This looks indeed quite excellent! :classic: Its certainly one of the objects Lego bricks weren't really made for, but you did an excellent job in getting its shape and feel right. Are the wedge-elements of the saucer-section slightly tilted upwards? I would either recommend doing so, or (maybe even better) add a 1 or 2 thick plate layer half its diameter to generate that gentle upwards-slope the original has, if stud placement allows it. 

6 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

This looks indeed quite excellent! :classic: Its certainly one of the objects Lego bricks weren't really made for, but you did an excellent job in getting its shape and feel right. Are the wedge-elements of the saucer-section slightly tilted upwards? I would either recommend doing so, or (maybe even better) add a 1 or 2 thick plate layer half its diameter to generate that gentle upwards-slope the original has, if stud placement allows it. 

Thank you. And yes, the saucer-section does already have the required upwards slope on the opening top surface.

4 hours ago, Legoginge said:

Love this. Have you any plans to make a TNG Enterprise?

Thanks! I design whatever my customers ask for, and my next booked projects are not going to be Star Trek-related. But a TNG Enterprise would be cool and is certainly doable.

Full PDF and LDraw instructions are now available for this model through my website. Click my signature banner or follow the link in the OP.