Sign in to follow this  
BrickMonkeyMOCs

[MOC] Airbus A320 & ATR-42 Aircraft

These are two aircraft I've designed on commission for the same client. Each is a scale-model of a real aircraft, though both are also designed to fit minifigures as both crew and passengers. The Airbus A320 is built to 1:42 scale, and features retractable undercarriage, detachable cockpit cover and roof sections, four opening cabin doors, and seating for up to 28 passengers. The ATR 42 is built to 1:44 scale, and features retractable undercarriage, detailed cockpit seating two crew, detachable roof sections revealing an interior cabin with seating for 16 passengers, twin turboprop engines with turning propellers, functional flaps, ailerons, and elevators, forward cargo compartment with upwards opening doors and space for 6 suitcases, and downwards opening rear cabin doors. I also designed three accessory vehicles for use with the A320 - a Mercedes Econic truck, a Goldhofer AST-1X tow vehicle, and a stair bridge.

24723504647_52278a03ed_o.png

27993953748_892a3e0a67_o.png

24723504997_e51f8806a5_n.jpg38695225335_67dae2a93c_n.jpg24723505537_b287f453de_n.jpg

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs
New Stud.io renders

These are all impressive models, but the Airbus is my favorite.  It's a very nice compromise between scale modelling and playability.  The way you've integrated the windscreen and contoured the nose works perfectly for a minifigure set, but it still looks like the real aircraft.  The model as a whole is very large, like one would expect for a scale model, but not too large to imagine playing with as an official set.  How many pieces?  However, the wings would look a lot better if you built them at an angle, because then the curved slopes on the leading edges could be continuous instead of stepped.

Great looking aircraft and support vehicles!  I'd also be interested in knowing the rough part count and seeing some more views.  Nice builds!  :classic:

18 hours ago, icm said:

These are all impressive models, but the Airbus is my favorite.  It's a very nice compromise between scale modelling and playability.  The way you've integrated the windscreen and contoured the nose works perfectly for a minifigure set, but it still looks like the real aircraft.  The model as a whole is very large, like one would expect for a scale model, but not too large to imagine playing with as an official set.  How many pieces?  However, the wings would look a lot better if you built them at an angle, because then the curved slopes on the leading edges could be continuous instead of stepped.

Thanks. The nose shaping can be challenging, but it's much more satisfying than the prefabricated one-piece solutions used by Lego sets. The Airbus is indeed pretty big, measuring 74x72cm. It contains 2,377 parts while the ATR 42 contains 1,480 parts. I agree on the wings, but decided on the stepped solution for better overall strength and rigidity. Due to the wing design the Airbus lacks working flaps and ailerons, but I was able to incorporate these into the ATR build. The Airbus does have adjustable elevators though, with an internal Technic mechanism to link the two and provide the necessary friction.

7 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Very nice rendering models. :thumbup:

Are you also build them with real bricks?!

Thank you. I haven't built them myself in bricks (except for various test builds to check the functional mechanisms), but the client who commissioned these models has built them already from my instructions. I've seen preliminary photos but will wait for final pictures to be posted on Flickr before posting anything more here.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:09 AM, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I decided to build the ATR 42 in bricks...

Beautiful! Both planes are really nice looking and the addition of the ground vehicles is nice as well! 

The airbus is soo cool! you should definitely build that in real bricks too!

Can you include some photos of the inside features?

Edited by JarJarBonks

Fantastic builds only just found this section of the forums, the A320 looks great! Soon I’ll be embarking on a 1/35 scale Boeing 737-800.

Great Planes! I like 'm both but have a slight preference for the ATR. Really beautiful.