Always a struggle with those cables... either too short or too long... Really looking forward to the final model, keep up the good work! :-)

55 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Always a struggle with those cables... either too short or too long... Really looking forward to the final model, keep up the good work! :-)

One of the reasons for ending with biggest Loadall 5series is that only on this model in 1:15 scale I was able to make RC functions without extension cables; for smaller (it has actually only one stud shorter wheelbase) 527-58 due to 4 studs smaller width I could only put m-motors like @eric trax did in his CLAAS Scorpion, but to maintain (approximately) correct proportions boom had to be 3 studs "tall" and 4 studs wide...so (for now) this 560-80 is most likely to be represented correctly. Thanks for wishes. :sweet: I just hope to find hour or two to work on it few days a week and not only on Saturday or Sunday.

Kind regards

After some "Sisyphus" job over current telehandlers projects I want to make something else for a change, but when reorganizing parts I found tumbler tires. Since I'm not satisfied with LEGOs limited tire size (and choices) I start to think how to make those tumblers a bit narrower. Solution was to put 81.6 balloon tire inside tumbler and to put both of them on wheel racing small to get tire with following dimensions: 84 x 38, so I decided to make another shot on telehandler and current state of project is like this (in order to make steering I had to make huge changes on gear rack; I think @eric trax's CLAAS Scorpion has something similar on front axle if I saw correctly)...

800x450.jpg

Real 541/542-70 is 2340mm wide which gives ~~ 20 studs in 1:15 scale (I do not know it this is final since I found that 4220 Fastrac's are sold with 620/75R30 tires that give perfect 1:16 scale)

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

...bonnet slots idea...

800x450.jpg

Any comment is welcome

5 hours ago, I_Igor said:

After some "Sisyphus" job over current telehandlers projects I want to make something else for a change, but when reorganizing parts I found tumbler tires. Since I'm not satisfied with LEGOs limited tire size (and choices) I start to think how to make those tumblers a bit narrower. Solution was to put 81.6 balloon tire inside tumbler and to put both of them on wheel racing small to get tire with following dimensions: 84 x 38, so I decided to make another shot on telehandler and current state of project is like this (in order to make steering I had to make huge changes on gear rack; I think @eric trax's CLAAS Scorpion has something similar on front axle if I saw correctly)...

Yes, my scorpion telehandler has the same solution. This allows the rack to operate more freely without any collisions with z20 gear. 

I understand you are building two versions? Smaller and bigger?

In the larger version, you should use a large motor instead of two medium ones. Don't waste your free space inside the model.

Edited by eric trax

1 hour ago, eric trax said:

Yes, my scorpion telehandler has the same solution. This allows the rack to operate more freely without any collisions with z20 gear. 

I understand you are building two versions? Smaller and bigger?

In the larger version, you should use a large motor instead of two medium ones. Don't waste your free space inside the model.

Yes, I work on two versions, but XL motor stopped working, so I need to take it apart and see if it is a cable issue or something that I can not repair... :wacko:

I suppose you write about propulsion system and 2 L motors

I like the batman wheels and in fact I have 8 of them but I never have had the opportunity to use them yet...

8 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

I like the batman wheels and in fact I have 8 of them but I never have had the opportunity to use them yet...

Perhaps my idea to make it more narrow will be useful to you. You can also put them on 56 mm wheel but it could stretch them to much with that despite looking cool for muscle cars

Some major work on bonnet is done; at least I did not spent eternity on it like in case of Fastrac.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

@Maaboo35 it looks like it will be 541(2)-70 after all

w1-e1493117226316.jpg

I need some tweaks with few additional black parts to finish it.

Edited by I_Igor

Thanks, the grills were so.ething that I got an idea few years ago when I saw this part https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=98834&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

in 42081 review (Volvo Zeux). The same day I had a chance to test drive (for few minutes) JCB Fastrac 4220 (was astonished that it has just 38cm steering wheel like my car; was expecting 60cm truck wheel :look:) and parked by side of it was Loadall 541-70 with industrial tread pattern tire. When I saw it I knew that one day I'll give a try to replicate it because this part was IMHO perfect for it. The inspiration came from this part. Glad you notice (and like) it. :classic:

... finally bonnet is finished (spent the whole weekend searching for one black technic brick 1 x 1 with hole *huh*)

800x450.jpg

In time when you all enjoy Zetros rumors and new information, I had some time to play with telehandler. After several attempts that did not give any success (lift motor or boom motor or attachments motor can not be put elsewhere because of wide tires), so I had to make boom with similarities that can not be ignored with solution made by @eric trax on his CLAAS Scorpion as you can see here

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

I need some plates to put by the side and to complete front part to hide attachments m-motor as much as possible.

Any comment and criticism are welcome.

As I work on few projects simultaneously (and there is new Zetros coming up with beautiful smaller tractor tires) I have made some improvements to smaller scale Unimog U423 (1:18) in hope to make appropriate for same scale Fastrac 8330 in the future... At the moment axles and front chassis part are made. Wheelbase will be 21 studs (without mid differential and kind if floating front) and overall width over tires less than 17 studs (including portal axle hubs) as you can see on images below. I hope that trucks and Unimog lovers will find that project interesting. This will be (99%) complete manual model and I'll try to make optimized as possible but still recognizable.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Just didn't decide to make orange or perhaps white cab.

Edited by I_Igor

13 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Orange is always the answer.

Another Unimog is always exciting to me!

Then it will be orange; this one will be like your blue - manually and realistic narrow (with portal hubs) for 1:18 scale

Edited by I_Igor

Small attempt to make smaller scale (1:18) chassis...

640x1138.jpg

800x450.jpg

Plan is to make chassis 17 studs wide with 19 studs wheelbase. Width over tires should be ~~ 18 studs with Battman tires

Small progress with 1:18 telehandler; after almost one month cab is finished and tires are not rubbing on chassis. As you can see 4 motors are placed below which gives small ground clearance but this model will be used inside only. The reason I chose 68.7 tires is to represent smaller tires used on 560-80 loadall (from 460/70R24 to 480/80R26) and to fit all motors on smallest space as once @jorgeopesi said that  building in small scale is changing and forces you to optimize your creation... Total height of model will be about 20 studs which represents scale 1:18.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Next step will be to sort out parts needed for stairs, mirrors, lights and air conditioning to finish cab.

Edited by I_Igor

Since I couldn't find some parts to update my telehandler, I've decided to work on Unimog a little bit. Now I have sturdy chassis with 21 studs wheelbase, width over mudguards 17 studs, front bumpers, rear radiators, headlights etc are finished, engine is placed and both front and rear manually driven PTO are finished. Looking at the moment I'll probably switch from 2 light bluish 5 x 7 frames to one transverse placed 11 x 5 H frame and try to imememt some pneumatics for attachments. @Thirdwigg as you can see on front bumpers I have decided to make orange cab.

800x1067.jpg

800x1067.jpg

800x1067.jpg

Forgot to mention on first image you can see Unimog has its terrier guardian :laugh:

Glad to see you are back into this project. I keep coming back to the fact that mine doesn't have portal axles, so maybe an update is in order. Do you have a better image of the headlights? I am interested to see what you did there.

Keep it going.

@Thirdwigg front looks like this: (on first two photos you can see portal axle with 8 to 16 reduction)

800x1067.jpg

800x1067.jpg

800x1067.jpg

...and I have started to work on cab yesterday (sorry for bad indoor photo quality, but I hope to find few hours of time to continue today afternoon)

800x1067.jpg

Edited by I_Igor
typing...

A little bit orange development (cab is over 90% finished; just need to find 2 dark bluish gray pieces to finish cab)...

Drivers side is completely finished, but other side is to be done...

800x1067.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Glad to see this coming together. To my eyes it looks like those doors are little too tall. Also is the nose a little too long? Or is it too tall? I can't tell, but it looks a little big.

2 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Glad to see this coming together. To my eyes it looks like those doors are little too tall. Also is the nose a little too long? Or is it too tall? I can't tell, but it looks a little big.

Honestly I'm not particularly good photographer, but when I put model over technical drawing in 1:18 scale cab fits; difference is about ¼ stud. Model is 37 studs long, wheelbase 21 studs, width over mudguards 17 studs; over tires 16.5 and height (not included beacon lights) is 21.5 studs. Nose is 3 studs tall and 3 studs long, whole cab is one stud lower than on 1:15 model and has overall length 17 studs; perhaps panel on drivers door is to tall because I do not have extra 1 x 9 lift arm and no this arch in orange.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6005#T=C

On 4/27/2021 at 3:12 PM, I_Igor said:

Honestly I'm not particularly good photographer, but when I put model over technical drawing in 1:18 scale cab fits; difference is about ¼ stud. Model is 37 studs long, wheelbase 21 studs, width over mudguards 17 studs; over tires 16.5 and height (not included beacon lights) is 21.5 studs. Nose is 3 studs tall and 3 studs long, whole cab is one stud lower than on 1:15 model and has overall length 17 studs; perhaps panel on drivers door is to tall because I do not have extra 1 x 9 lift arm and no this arch in orange.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6005#T=C

Got it. I trust your measurements as they are better than mine.

Yeah, I waited a while for that arch piece to become available. They are hard to find.