Ladies end Gentleman,

I (miss)use a freedom to present you my version Unimog U423 in 1:17.5 scale to fit future models that I plan to built. (At the end I have decided to make models in 1:15 scale)

Since introduction of new Unimog Implement carrier, I was very impressed with possibility to make my own LEGO Unimog Implement carrier that would fit my other models in proper scale. At that moment all my models were something in between 1:16 or 1:17 Scale and like @Bricksonwheels nicely said once truth is always somewhere in between. Then rumors about new tractor tire started to fill the comments here on Eurobricks abnd because most of my mocs are tractors some things got upside up. First question was - what can I do and make decision for future models and which scale to use...After a while i remembered my good friend Ingmar ( @2LegoOrNot2Lego... ) and his U.S. trucks since LEGO produces 62.4 x 20 Truck tires in some respected range of years so far, and set 42043 (one of my favorite) is still assembled. So I take a look around  what was not so difficult, since I drive some 100 miles every day because of my daily job and started documenting trucks and tires on them. After seeing that some tire dimensions are always repeating I've decided to look at on-line brochure and ask tire sellers to see which is the most common tire dimension. The result (currently) for European built trucks was tire with approximately 1100 mm overall diameter ( mostly 315/80R22.5) and for U.S trucks this is 43.2" (which is also approximately 1100 mm for 11R24.5 tire). So when you want to calculate you would end up with following scale 17.5 (1100 / 62.4). So every truck can be represented with that tire which has very good steering capabilities and grip level is (for me) satisfying. Finally I can make Unimog that has all characteristic features for this vehicle; portal axles, all wheel drive with central differential...like on image

2121C53E70C2187A09A348

...and then the shock - I could not integrate hub reduction based on gear 16 tooth and gear 8 tooth partially inside wheel... well back to the drawing board and I felt like Wile E. Coyote

Drawing-2.jpg

After several month of brainstorming I've decided to buy this wheel (which is actually quite expensive)

32004a.png

and what a pleasant surprise Portal axle hub fits nicely inside this wheel (wheel from set 5571). The only problem was that 68.8 X 24 tires are to soft for planned weight on Unimog, so I have to think about something in the future, but major problem was solved and development of Unimog for living room can start. 

My goal was to make something like this versions with some 175 mm wide mudguards which gives about 18 studs overall width for model.

800x600.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x495.jpg

Currently you can see front axle which should probably be redesigned to make some 2-3 studs "gap" between tires and mudguard and a Wheel that will be used for Unimog. At the moment I did not decide to make short or long version (long version has enough space to use central differential).

Model dimensions:

- length 40 studs

- wheelbase (probably) 26 studs

- height 23 studs

- width 18 studs

Model should have this features:

- all wheel drive

- fully independent axles with 4 links suspension

- portal hubs

- front wheel steering

- in - line 4 cylinder fake engine

- cab tilting

- hood opening

- door opening

- motorized front and rear pto

- preparation for additional attachment or platform... (motorized)

Current images are here (but due to free time I doubt that I'll be able to make a video)

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Please make your suggestions, comments, criticism and admins do not hesitate and correct or warn me for everything that is not correct with Eurobrics rules.

(After few years of building this models, I have decided to make all models in compromise scale 1:15, of course if something new in term of tires does not come up from LEGO...)

Edited by I_Igor
Finished model and additional modifications

Hi Igor,

Can you try to avoid linking to Bricksafe and embedding some images instead? That would be great, thanks!

@Jim, I hope now is better. I've used images with 800 x 600 resolution. If there is something else that can be made better, please comment. :thumbup:

This is perfect. Thanks a lot.

little update ladies and gets...

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

...as you can see update is made on steering axle which has now very similar steering solution to LEGO Arocs to maximize space availability and precision. Future improvements will include a bit shorter (if I manage to make 2 - 3 studs shorter system that replaces two universal joints) or a bit longer wheelbase, disposal of two cylinders on engine (U423 model has 4 cylinder engine) and I'll replace tires and use 68.8 X 24 that are originally made for wheel 32004a to represent widest and biggest tire used on Unimog Implement Carrier BlueTec 6 - Michelin XZL 445/65 R22,5 or Mitas MPT-23 375/75 R22,5 (tires with approximately 120 cm overall diameter and street pattern) because I've realized that 62,4 tire on 32004a whell is deformed in the middle after some time; and to add wider mud guards to achieve 17 studs width to represent 2430 mm overall width (info from dealer is 2430mm, brochure says 2400mm)... so when I'll make final (optimized) chassis version I'll upload newer photos...and additional info...

Any suggestions are welcome :classic: 

Edited by I_Igor

...a little progress...cab is finished and model features 4 cylinder engine like it should...

Model is starting to look like Unimog, now the most complex part - gearbox needs to be updated...

800x600.jpg

...stairs are also finished...

Edited by I_Igor

This topic doesn't have the attention it needs ! Great build ! The front axle looks great ! Maybe tweak the front for a smother design :) 

On 2. svibnja 2017. at 1:07 PM, IA creations said:

This topic doesn't have the attention it needs ! Great build ! The front axle looks great ! Maybe tweak the front for a smother design :)

Thanks for pleasant reply :sweet:

Front axle is now different - it has a steering mechanism something like Mercedes Arocs...perhaps you can see here...

800x600.jpg

and a portal axle hubs are partly integrated into wheels (the reason that I use wheels from Black Cat - model team and not usual LEGO Technic 62.4 X 20...)

Edited by I_Igor

On 5/2/2017 at 1:07 PM, IA creations said:

Only thing that I can make smother is front hood to make it more like models on Scale modeling forum subgroup...but due to chassis construction which is oriented on front axle suspension traveling, I'll see what is possible, I don't know if this would be sturdy enough; I'll try after model is finished to tweak it a little bit, but I wanted to make Technic model....thanks for idea :wink:

Edited by I_Igor

On 5/3/2017 at 6:17 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

I want to build this so bad!

You can use this link to see the progress despite my intentions to post "progress" images on this topic and see what parts you have and what you don't have...and enjoy building.

I see on your blog that you have smaller battery box - something what I've missing to make shorter version of Unimog...:look:

Edited by I_Igor

On 5/4/2017 at 4:49 AM, I_Igor said:

I see on your blog that you have smaller battery box - something what I've missing to make shorter version of Unimog...:look:

I have one too and it is so helpfull. Why not look around for one? 

Edited by Aventador2004

On 5/5/2017 at 1:58 PM, Aventador2004 said:

I have one too and it is so helpfull. Why not look around for one? 

...well where I live (Croatia) there is no bricklink seller that has one, there is no set that contains this battery box on sale here and companies that are responsible for package delivery do not guarantee that I'll receive this part. Just one example - when I've ordered tennis shoes for my wife from Germany delivery company did not inform me that package has arrived and package was sent back to Germany...and there is much more - stolen tires - specially Power puller which are not cheap, etc. Unlike people in States, here in Croatia people (who are on all managing positions and media) newer wanted Croatia as independent state, they wanted to live in Yugoslavia so (unfortunately) they (mis) use every opportunity to make things complicated or impossible to everyone else - that is Communism legacy, only now they call them-self Antifascists, Social Democrats, Liberals...but enough about this tragedy.

I'm sad that things (stil) work that way here but many thanks for advice and honest intension. :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

57 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

...well where I live (Croatia) there is no bricklink seller that has one, there is no set that contains this battery box on sale here and companies that are responsible for package delivery do not guarantee that I'll receive this part. Just one example - when I've ordered tennis shoes for my wife from Germany delivery company did not inform me that package has arrived and package was sent back to Germany...and there is much more - stolen tires - specially Power puller which are not cheap, etc. Unlike people in States, here in Croatia people (who are on all managing positions and media) newer wanted Croatia, they wanted to live in Yugoslavia so (unfortunately) they (mis) use every opportunity to make things complicated or impossible to everyone else - that is Communism legacy, only now they call them-self Antifascists, Social Democrats, Liberals...but enough about this tragedy.

I'm sad that things (steal) work that way here but many thanks for advice and honest intension. :thumbup:

sad to hear that, i once bought something from near there and after waiting four months, nothing. just says still in transit, i never got it. i got a refund (thanks ebay) and all is well.

On 5/5/2017 at 3:30 PM, Aventador2004 said:

sad to hear that, i once bought something from near there and after waiting four months, nothing. just says still in transit, i never got it. i got a refund (thanks ebay) and all is well.

I know the feeling - but what does not kill you makes you stronger (but not strong as Unimog :grin:). I hope to develop most of gearbox this weekend and to update gallery asap.

We have to be positive, and the less variety your parts allow us, the more creative we become. :wink:

Regards

Edited by I_Igor

57 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I know the feeling - but what does not kill you makes you stronger (but not strong as Unimog :grin:).

haha!!! , they are a strong car.

About Unimog progress; gearbox is 75% finished, but I need to optimize some things and make whole gearbox complex more sturdy, simple and first of all to fit in available space. When we talk about simplicity I've made some changes - there is one driving ring with two state - one for front and end pto and one for tilting platform... Photos will be made asap :wink:

Edited by I_Igor

I like how simple You made front grill and all the front part of the cabin. Overall progress also loogs good.

On 5/8/2017 at 3:03 PM, Jurss said:

I like how simple You made front grill and all the front part of the cabin. Overall progress also loogs good.

I always try to make things as simple as possible, and hope to "document" latest progress asap - gearbox is finished, but need some tweaking to make front, rear pto and actuator for tilting bed work as smooth as possible. It would not be pneumatic model, for pneumatics I plan another model - that is a future surprise :wink: 

thank you for your compliment :sweet:

Edited by I_Igor

Gearbox is finished. It has two main functions:

• driving front and rear pto
  • driving additional system like tilting platform in my case or can be pneumatic compressor for crane or similar attachments

To achieve simple gearbox (using smallest number of gears), I had to put front pto shaft lower what can be seen on first two images here. In addition to this I had to make less suspension travel for about millimeter to prevent suspension hitting front pto shaft. Solution is copied from 8110 set - so nothing fancy here.

Here is current state of project Unimog U423

800x600.jpg

enjoy...

Edited by I_Igor

...some updates; finished gearbox for front and rear pto and additional shaft for future implements like tilting bed or any platform that should be driven could be made (perhaps some future project)...yes there is one more thing - chimney was added...

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Edited by I_Igor

Dear topic's readers, after several days of brainstorming and surfing through Internet I've found that biggest tires on Unimog with street pattern are Mitas MPT-23   375/75R22,5 with exactly 1163 mm in diameter and that I need tire with some 65mm overall diameter. As you can remember at the start of this project I was using 62,4 tire on 32004a rim (which is basically rim for 68.8 x 24 tire) and tires were deformed after a while under Unimog weight. The reason for this state was that due to bigger rim diameter tires were actually 65mm in diameter and not 62.4, so I have to find out how to make tire profile to look appropriate. Solution is in pictures below...

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Next thing is to redesign Unimog - Cab and gearbox to make proper  proportions because now when suspension is completely compressed there is about 1 - 1.5 space between mudguard and tire. I'll upload images of redesign asap. At least from tire's point of view now I have all that I need to make proper 1:17,5 models :grin:

Guys just enjoy the rest of weekend

Edited by I_Igor

...latest update  include reinforced front axle, redesigned cab - now roof line and cab base line are parallel, and redesigned stairs as you can see on uploaded images...

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

but what is not perfect for me are rim to tire proportions, now I need your appinion fellow Eurobrickers - is it better to switch back on 68.8 x 24 tires to make wheels well proportioned, or to leave that way?

Thanks

Edited by I_Igor

Because I managed to make CLAAS tires 110mm in diameter represent 710/70R38 tire for one (planned) future model that will fit the Unimog U423 scale, I've decided to make 1:17.5 model. Another reason for "playing" with CLAAS tire dimensions is that most beautiful models here are in (unwritren rules) 1:13 or 1:17.5 scale...

Currently I'm rebuilding chassis to fit this scale and to install e-motor to look like fuel tank...When I'll finish chassis I'll make final decision about tires and I'll post images here. (I know there is to many I'll in this post).

Edited by I_Igor