Sign in to follow this  
JuanSol0

[LDD WIP/SET IDEA] UCS Hogwarts Castle.

Hi all!

First of all sorry my bad English, not native speaker here.

After seeing again all the Harry Potter movies and reading most of the books, I wanted to add some harry potter lego to my colecction. I then realised why I don't have any of the Hogwarts castle Sets, I think theyre all awful. The are incomplete, they only include rooms from one movie, and if you buy more than one, you get to have repeated minifigures and rooms. So I wanted to make my own version of it, considering a UCS version playset, something like the Death Star con Star Wars theme, but bigger. I set myself some goals:

- Include all the rooms that appear in more than one film (Chamber of secrets, great hall, entrance, dumbledore's office, each house bedrooms and common room, and many more)

- include small side-sets like Hagrid's Hut or the herbology class

- It has to be modular, and it has to be openable to play inside.

- Most of the rooms have to be closed by wall, so set can be displayed.

After two hours of prototyping and trying some structures, this is the first thing that I have:

8DstoNN.png

The room on the left is the Great hall. On the right, there will be the library and Dumbledore's army Headquarters. Both basements can be opened. One will be the Chamber of secrets, and the other will be potion's class, as well as some rooms from the Philosopher's stone (I don't think I got the name right)

The idea from now on is to grow the side modules one or two more fllors, to fit there the common and bedrooms, Umbridge's desktop and Dumbledore's office. There is room for a rear module, in which there will be The astronomy tower, or maybe other iconic location I can't think of now.

Once the build is complete I will release the .lxt file and I will try to get instructions in PDF and parts list in xml, but I simply don't know what software to use.

Thanks for reading!

Some little updates on the interiors:

PDnyPHH.png

The chamber of secrets, in the basement:

eCNZRTk.png

Above it is the Dumbledore's Army training room, as well as the library and the bathrooms:

UWaT1Qt.png

Below The great hall is the potions classroom and the Room from Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone:

i3SgjFS.png

And above The great hall there is gryffindors Common Room and Bedrooms:

SZPBG1x.png

I have found some problems on colors in the pieces. Of course some pieces (Like the walls on chamber of secrets, or the flags on the great hall) should be printed or include a sticker. Also I found some problems finding new pieces in LDD, so, while the hole structure is built as I want it, some minor details (The basilisk, or the cnadles in the great hall) should be modified outside the digital design.

Now it's time for slytiherin common room, Professor lupin's class and astronomy tower!

Thanks for reading!

That looks incredible! I've tried to build Hogwarts in similar fashion several times, but none of my attempts even hold a floating candle to this! Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

Some new advances, I'm working slower now that I have exams.

First addition is interior for class against dark arts and slytherin room:

BgkUN6j.png

Next module is the roof for right wing of the building, with astronomy tower and professor umbridge's desktop:

jEOpwuB.png

The desktop includes high detailed furniture, including the punishment table:

5u6uRxZ.png

The last wing of the building is the rear module, which will include Dumbledore's office. Is a very tricky zone to build if I want to make it openable, but here' the advance for now:

kLmV60q.png

As you can see, it includes a small embarkment on the rear. I also changed all the sand green colors on the building to dark or light blusih grey. I plan to complete dumbledore's offcie, and then spend a few hours on improving the details on the interior. ALso I have to make the herbology classroom and Hagrids Hut.

Please, if anyone Knows software to get a pdf. Instruction manual and .xml parts list send me an explication about it, so I can upload a full building guide when its finished.

Nice! Are you using the group tools so you can move them around freely?

Also I think the chamber of secrets could be expanded a bit and done more accurately with the snake statues/tunnels on some sides. Use lots of reference from the films I guess and see how big the area is. Really nice though! Hopefully LDD can handle it all together.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:04 PM, LegoAcklay said:

Nice! Are you using the group tools so you can move them around freely?

Also I think the chamber of secrets could be expanded a bit and done more accurately with the snake statues/tunnels on some sides. Use lots of reference from the films I guess and see how big the area is. Really nice though! Hopefully LDD can handle it all together.

Yes, every floor is on a different group. This helps a lot when cloning some structures, or trying new distributions of the MOC. This is the key part for me, given that all floors have same dimensions and connection points, you can sorty them however yo want.

I also think the chamber of secrets should be more detailer, but the high details will come later. First I need to finish the structure of all the rooms that I want to be displayed. Sadly, some rooms are smaller than what I would wish (Chamber of secrets, or Room of Requirements, for example) But this is more of a conceptual UCS set than a massive Moc. When I finish it, I hope I can make a parts list for bricklink and check the whole price. I dream about it not being too expensive so I can buy and build it in real life, but this is far ahead. :classic:

On 6/10/2018 at 2:58 AM, sunhuntin said:

This looks amazing! Very well done, and I look forward to seeing your next addition.

Actually I'm on a stop, for exams and working on smaller projects, but will be updates very soon!

On 6/15/2018 at 5:55 AM, Huigberts Builds said:

Very interesting build. I really like the 3th floor (chambers with the tests from philosophers stone)

I thought it was the best to include at least a small portion of each film, even I really don't like sorcerer's stone that much.

Hi, some big updates on the MOC.

I just finished the dumbledore's office in it's own tower, so I consider stage 1 of the moc to be completed. The full strcutrre and distribution of rooms is completed and now it's time to put some details on the rooms. Also I have to work on herbology class and hagrid's hutt, and then I'll be able to work on the boxart, instructions, parts list and a list of the minifigures. No more words, I show you some pics:

OFZdTQq.png

wEBArI3.png

8AdSf4U.png

EsiliDA.png

U4teIYQ.png

XwaqTRf.png

Perhaps you should switch the Slytherin Common Room and the Task Room around since the Slytherin common room is in the dungeons (with a view inside the lake or something), and the task room can only be located through the third floor (even though you have to fall pretty far down (but there isn't a devil's snare function so that shouldn't be too much of a problem)). Btw I really like what you've done with Dumbledore's office, I gives me 4729 vibes but with a touch of 4842.

16 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Perhaps you should switch the Slytherin Common Room and the Task Room around since the Slytherin common room is in the dungeons (with a view inside the lake or something), and the task room can only be located through the third floor (even though you have to fall pretty far down (but there isn't a devil's snare function so that shouldn't be too much of a problem)). Btw I really like what you've done with Dumbledore's office, I gives me 4729 vibes but with a touch of 4842.

The idea that you suggest about redistributing the rooms is very good, but I also like the idea that looking through the windows of the building should only show 'public rooms' I mean, the Task room is kind of a secret zone, forbidden to the students. This kind of coherence is more important to me to the fidelity to the books. (In fact, if I would've considered the fidelity to the books as a priority, I would have re-arrenged all the middle zone to give space to the moving stairs zone and main gate of hogwarts, instead of the yard.). The adventage of this build is that all rooms have the same area, so, if you prefer that distribution, you just have to move the furniture. Anyway, suggestion appreciated!

For now, the bricklinked set is around 1750 € so it's absolutely unaffordable for me. I still plan on finishing the details I mentioned, and Hagridd's Hutt and Herbology class, only, I will be a bit more simple about those. When it's all finished, I will upload here the .lxf as well as the instructions and some boxart or whatever I can do, maybe someone can or wants to build it, and it would be great to see this in real life!

Hi all,

I rendered some images of the MOC. now that I consider stage 1 to be completed, it's time to advance on the details on the rooms:

lUrPene.png

MyqAFMZ.png

LBNIdmc.png

Ds9D3NC.png

5J4imXA.png

WjyZCyX.png

lgrv4pn.png

bAIwmCm.png

On 5/27/2018 at 9:35 PM, JuanSol0 said:

I then realised why I don't have any of the Hogwarts castle Sets, I think theyre all awful. The are incomplete

On 6/26/2018 at 1:04 AM, JuanSol0 said:

For now, the bricklinked set is around 1750 € so it's absolutely unaffordable for me.

So now you can probably see why the official LEGO sets are "awful". To do something like you want would cost $1000s and such a set is completely unfeasible from a sales perspective. It is better to have an affordable playset than an unaffordable large scale model at the same scale. Plus play value is not so different. The large one may look great as a one piece set, but ask a kid if they would want one large $2000 HP set or ten decent $200 playsets, and I imagine most would chose the ten playsets. Although for many kids that is unrealistic as even one $200 is still quite expensive.