Bregir

Introducing BoBS Cards!

Introducing BoBS Cards!

Leadership is now ready to introduce the first BoBS cards, and will be handing out a few in advance of this months MRCA. The complete rules will be updated over time, but please find the introductory rules below. (All rules are subject to change)

What are BoBS cards?!

BoBS cards are bonuses awarded to players under special circumstances that gives a bonus to some aspect of the game.

How do they work?

BoBS cards are applied to an eligible asset in game, which could be a ship, property, army, settlement(?) or whatever else leadership thinks deserving, and amends one stat or the other for this entity. Bonuses are determined by leadership. In general, bonuses are positive, but negative cards are an option and *may* be given at some time.

When are they awarded?

The following are examples of when a BoBS card can be awarded. (List not complete and will be expanded. For now, BoBS cards only applies to vessels)
They will generally be awarded for extraordinary efforts or luck, but you cannot and should not plan for or expect a BoBS card. There is a degree of randomness. And while some balance will generally be aimed for, if faction X makes 5 great builds and faction Y makes none, leadership will not consider itself limited by a need for perfect balance.

• tMRCA
    If someone achieves some extraordinary feat during the tMRCA, leadership may decide, on a case to case basis, to award a BoBS card. At launch, we aim for 1-3 cards per tMRCA. (tMRCA earned cards requires a build to activate similar to sistershipping and shiplimit builds.)
  • aMRCA
    During an aMRCA, leadership may decide, on a case to case basis, to award a BoBS card related to the adventure. At launch, we aim for 1-3 cards per aMRCA.
  • Ship mocs
    For extraordinary effort, improvement, creativity, accuracy or similar, leadership may award a ship moc a BoBS card. (Example: Elaborate custom rigging could lead to a +1 manoeuvre card being rewarded)
  • Story builds or similar
    Leadership have the discretion to award BoBS cards for any build, storyline, event, etc. in all relevant cases.

Can they be transferred?

One of the characteristics of a BoBS card is its transferability. Similar cards may differ only in whether they are transferable, and transferability depends on the IC nature of the cards. An expert gunner will generally be transferable, while copper sheeting will not.

If a card is to be transferred, it has to be located in the same port as the receiving vessel, and cards can only travel with vessels.

When are they lost?

BoBS cards are generally lost, when the entity is lost, or if leadership expires a card. Generally, IC concerns decides if a card is lost and leadership will decide this.

Some cards, such as equipment on ships (new chase guns, exceptional compass, charts) will be lost if the ship is sunk, but most likely taken over by the new owner, if it is captured.

Others, such as crew, will be lost with the ship, and not handed over to a capturer. However, they may be saved by an MRCA build (case by case basis) showing the crew being rescued or exchanged.

Cards attached to the moc (and non-transferable) will generally be taken over by the new owner. They *may* also apply to sisterships of the same moc.

Characteristics of a BoBS card

Each BoBS card will have a number of characteristics, eg:

• Name
    Short description of the card
  • Serial #
    A serial number to identify the card.
  • Bonus
    States the relevant bonus of the card and its size. Eg. +1 to range or +2 to guns.
  • Transferability
    States whether it can be transferred and to what vessels it can be attached, eg. vessels of class 3-7.
  • Application
    States to what entity the card is currently attached.

Is there a limit to how many cards a ship can have attached?

Yes, depending on class.

• Class 0: 2 cards
  • Class 1: 3 cards
  • Class 2-4: 4 cards
  • Class 5-7: 5 cards
  • Class 8-10: 6 cards

FAQ:

• Where can I see the current BoBS cards??
  • Will the effect of the ship cards show in the ship stat overview?
  • ?

First awards:

The following players have been awarded BoBS cards for their efforts and achievements! Congratulations!

@Professor Thaum Your experiments with flight have given the bosun of the frigate a new insight into aerodynamics, leading him to install stunsail booms. You are awarded the following BoBs card:

• Stunsail Booms
  • #S001
  • +1 to Manoeuvre
  • Not transferable
  • Application: Andromeda

@Bregir In escaping both LeColeon and Bloody Bill last month, the crew of the Satyr achieved impressive rowing techniques!

• Experienced Rowers
  • #S002
  • +1 to Maneuvre
  • Transferable to any vessel up to class 4
  • Application: Satyr

@Mesabi The gunners aboard your WTC Riffraff have shown great skill at singlehandedly sinking the flagship of Zublious van Wreck! 

• Experienced Gunners
  • #S003
  • +2 to guns
  • Transferable to any vessel classes 1-5
  • Application: WTC Riffraff

@Phred The crew of the HRS Philipe has been busy in Harbour! While the representatives were busy negotiating, they‘ve found some friends who want to work aboard a first Rate!

• Useful Guests
  • #S004
  • +1 to crew
  • Transferable to any vessel classes 7-10
  • Application: HRS Philipe

@Legostone The one responsible for managing cargo aboard the Green Winds III has figured out a better way of stacking the cargo inside the hold! 

• Expert Supercargo
  • #S005
  • +1 to cargo
  • Transferable to any ship classes 3-6
  • Application: Green Winds III
Edited by Bregir
Build requirement removed

Great addition to the game leadership! I love the idea. Might do some artwork with it as well or something. :classic:

I question how the WTC Riff Raft, (with 0 guns, 0 hull, and 0 crew.) deserves a card giving her more guns, but it'll give me a fun story to write :pir-grin:

5 hours ago, Mesabi said:

I question how the WTC Riff Raft, (with 0 guns, 0 hull, and 0 crew.) deserves a card giving her more guns, but it'll give me a fun story to write :pir-grin:

Well, it managed to defeat Zublious van Wrecks Flagship which deserves something :pir-laugh:  Luckily the card is transferable - next MRCA you can transfer it to any other ship up to class 5 ;)

1 hour ago, Legostone said:

next MRCA you can transfer it to any other ship up to class 5 ;)

If they are in the same port, that is! ;)

12 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Great addition to the game leadership! I love the idea. Might do some artwork with it as well or something. :classic:

"0" for a ship stat doesn't mean the ship doesn't have any guns or hull or crew, just that it has so very little to not be considered significant. And think of this card as more like expert gunnery skill for whatever crewman was firing whatever weapon the Riff Raft had, because he apparently hit the Ghost Harvester in exactly the right spot, hitting a cannon that started a chain reaction that led to the magazine. A man that can make a shot like that is valuable!

Would be fun if we had a basic template (where's @Kolonialbeamter when ya need him? :pir-grin: ) and then people could add pictures to their own cards!

I like the concept. Details like "where are the card details shown?" in relation to the gamer accounts or "how does transfering a card work?" should be made clear sooner rather than later, but I consider this a work-in-progress solution so far. And a good one! :thumbup:

@Mesabi

Nice attempt at a card design. Could need some more polishing (and better pictures for sure), but I really like the overall direction.

22 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

I like the concept. Details like "where are the card details shown?" in relation to the gamer accounts or "how does transfering a card work?" should be made clear sooner rather than later, but I consider this a work-in-progress solution so far. And a good one! :thumbup:

Behind the scenes it all works, we just need to decide on where and how we publish the list exactly (list will be public!). If someone volunteers for a public index showcasing all the created cards that would be fun as well :pir-laugh:

@Mesabi Great design! And you pretty much stole my idea I had for the supercargo build :pir-laugh:

Given the popularity of your cards - this is undecided in court, but would there be interest in replacing the requirement "MOC for TMRCA cards" to "Picture for the card", kinda like @Kai NRG suggested? This would mean that even the cards awarded through the AMRCA and MOCcing a great ship would require something. (and yes, we would need a template and perhaps a volunteer for that for sure!)

3 hours ago, gedren_y said:

M:tG?

Just my thought. I've got some experience with Photoshop so I could try my hand at making some templates.

I'm gonna try doing something like the letter of marque from POTC

Edited by TheCubbScout

I have several hundred cards that I haven't touched in ages. We recently acquired a scanning printer. I'm pretty good with MS Paint. We'll see.

3 hours ago, TheCubbScout said:

This is the Corlander version of a card.

I can't see the picture. It says it is unavailable. :(

Without knowing exactly how you imagine faction specific cards, I am not sure we want them to be faction specific, as they may change hands over time.

But a template would be great, if we can have some sort of index to show them off, but perhaps it could simply be a Google sheet with links to pictures of the cards based on templates? @Legostone

I like the template, but I agree with Bregir that, since the cards are not faction-specific, we shouldn't include faction IDs on the cards.

19 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Is there a card for jumping a shark?

How about a card adding The Fonz to a crew?