AFOLkev

MOC Portable roller coaster

Hello Everyone,

I have been visiting this site for many years and have finally registered.

There has been a lot of interest in the new roller coaster elements lately so I thought I would share my latest MOC.

It's a portable roller coaster I call Busy Bees. The model is fully functional and racks on four trailers.

In order to make the model work I had to cut two sections of track (the ones before and after the lift hill). Everything else is unmodified.

The lift hill is brick-built using modified bricks with stud on side, 30586 modified plate with door rail, and tiles. 

The cars move through the station using a couple of x939 treads.

All the parts are numbered so I can remember how to put it back together.  

27197641367_450da374f8_z.jpgbusybees setup by AFOL Kev, on Flickr

27197538127_fc0ff112c8_z.jpgbusybees racked by AFOL Kev, on Flickr

There is also a video on my flickr page.

Hope you enjoy!

Kevin.

What's not to like about it? Turned out really well, modified pieces and all. Totally looks like something you'd see at a traveling carnival. Excellent work. 

Now all you need are some tractors to pull all those trailers around. 

Edited by Johnny1360

Excellent. If parts like these existed back when I played with real LEGO then I would definitely have built one of these.

I couldn't tell from the short video, but what's controlling the rate that the cars pause and then advance onto the lift hill?

I have been waiting for someone to do their own MOC using the new roller coaster track. this is excellent! great idea to make it portable. love the colours and the design. great work!! :)

Thanks everyone for the comments!!

Regarding the cars pausing before the lift hill... Its hard to tell from the video but the treads moving the cars through the station only contact the cars along the straight track within the station. There are always 3 cars just past these treads waiting at the bottom of the hill. Once the next car comes into the station it pushes the rest of the cars. The car next in line gets pushed into the chain and is taken up the hill.

I have many more MOCs to share but I have not uploaded anything since the old Webshots site was removed. Time to sort through all my old memory cards.

This is brilliant! I love the fact it all fits on the 4 trailers, it looks so clean too! The supports look neat, the track looks fun and it's great that it works with single cars too! :thumbup:

Pretty glad to see a roller coaster MOC with the new tracks! I like the color scheme a lot and how clean it looks. What I like the most is the brick-built letters, they are simply amazing! :wub: Look forward to see your other MOCs... :classic:

Making the whole thing portable is just awesome. Fantastic job! I remember trying to build a portable fairground set once, failing miserably and went straight back to modulars. :laugh: