LEGODalekbuster523

Doctor Who CMF Campaign

9 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

While granted I give the guy who created it props, it doesn’t seem at this point to be building to a massive campaign for the cmf, so I don’t know if it will truly get the attention of the right people in the Lego group.

I'd wager the right people in LEGO already know about these figures anyway. After all, LEGO designed them for Dimensions.

And given that LEGO specifically bans any Doctor Who submissions now (and presumably forever) from the IDEAS site, they have no hope. If tweeting ideas to LEGO to circumvent the IDEAS rules was seen to work, then IDEAS would essentially be dead.

On 28/05/2018 at 2:36 PM, MAB said:

And given that LEGO specifically bans any Doctor Who submissions now (and presumably forever) from the IDEAS site, they have no hope. If tweeting ideas to LEGO to circumvent the IDEAS rules was seen to work, then IDEAS would essentially be dead.

All that means is that they've got the Doctor Who license (which we already know). That's hope, not no hope.

No, Doctor Who is banned from IDEAS even after they decide to drop the license.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

No, Doctor Who is banned from IDEAS even after they decide to drop the license.

How so? When did Lego officially drop the licensing agreement for BBC's Doctor Who?

I think @LEGODalekbuster523 is correct in this case, as any intellectual property that has had an attached Ideas project approved for production will then be banned from being utilized again by others for their own projects.

I don't understand the point of question. I haven't said they have dropped the license, but that Doctor Who is not allowed on IDEAS again, even after the licensed is dropped. And as for @LEGODalekbuster523 statement, I think they are saying that Doctor Who is only currently banned from IDEAS as they have the license. But because of that, circumventing IDEAS by using Twitter instead is a hopeful way of approaching LEGO.

My view: if they are not allowing Doctor Who ideas to be formally submitted to IDEAS, then they are not going to accept someone trying to circumvent their fan submission website to get an idea in. I also think that if they wanted to make a Doctor Who CMF series based on those characters shown, they would have done so. They already know about the artwork, they designed it. The campaign seems to be "You made digital versions, did you not think to make them in plastic?".

On 5/28/2018 at 1:45 PM, InnerRayg said:

All you really need to know is that they physically released Doctor Who sets. Then they stopped.

Sets? They release ONE(!) Ideas Doctor Who set (you dont seriously count the 2 Dimension Packs do you? :)

Lego is a business, and if they saw this massive desire for more, they'd have done something about it because businesses love money.

Sorry but this just shows that you dont know how lego operates :D

Just take a look at the 60 years of Lego Promo(!) Set 40290 which depicts four famous Lego sets

The yellow castle (375) from 1978,  Space Cruiser and Moonbase (928) from 1979,

Black Seas Barracuda (6285) from 1989 and the Monorail Airport Shuttle (6399) from 1990.

Which are love and famous and would bring them money if they where being produced today and yet they

have not one of the four alike in their sortiment these days.

This is a prime example that Lego doesnt know or care what brings them money.

(another one would be bringing out Gokarts in the Friends franchise instead of City.....)

15 hours ago, Drudatz said:

What?

Of course they care. They are a toy maker company

15 hours ago, Drudatz said:

Sets? They release ONE(!) Ideas Doctor Who set (you dont seriously count the 2 Dimension Packs do you? :)

Well, they are sets. Their sets numbers are 71204 and 71238 

Edited by Robert8

On 5/27/2018 at 3:36 AM, Whovastron said:

and you talk about milestones etc. There was no set for Back to the Futures 30th anniversary, and only 1 set for Jurassic Parks 25th anniversary. Even Star Wars didn’t really get a 40th anniversary set.

It got the UCS Millennium Falcon - the largest LEGO set in history, and a remake of the previous UCS Millennium Falcon, itself the 30th anniversary set and the largest (non-bulk-assortment) set in history up to that point.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:36 AM, Whovastron said:

And the best said about the 60th and 40th anniversaries held by Lego this year the better.

Okay, if you like. :) Those were awesome! The minifigure factory set is a special favorite; I made sure to get three copies. And I love the Building Bigger Thinking sets! They have such varied parts assortments, and really encourage free form creativity. And Minifigures Series 18 is truly inspired! The costumes are so fun, and including the classic Police Officer with a copy of its own set is just the icing on the Cake Suit Guy.

:)

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Of course they care.  

Their products and huge loses lately proves the contrary.

But that doesn't mean they don't care about making money

Every business has its ups and downs

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

It got the UCS Millennium Falcon - the largest LEGO set in history, and a remake of the previous UCS Millennium Falcon, itself the 30th anniversary set and the largest (non-bulk-assortment) set in history up to that point.

Okay, if you like. :) Those were awesome! The minifigure factory set is a special favorite; I made sure to get three copies. And I love the Building Bigger Thinking sets! They have such varied parts assortments, and really encourage free form creativity. And Minifigures Series 18 is truly inspired! The costumes are so fun, and including the classic Police Officer with a copy of its own set is just the icing on the Cake Suit Guy.

:)

Whilst you could consider the Millenium Falcon a 40th anniversary Set. It’s based on The Empire Strikes Back and The Force Awakens. Whereas the 40th annoversary is of A New Hope.

and compared to what Lego could have done for their anniversaries this yeah, I think many would agree what we got was just fine, but not great

24 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Whilst you could consider the Millenium Falcon a 40th anniversary Set. It’s based on The Empire Strikes Back and The Force Awakens. Whereas the 40th annoversary is of A New Hope.

The 40th anniversary is of the saga in general, as well as of A New Hope in particular, and the set pretty obviously represents LEGO’s commemoration of the milestone. It was likely based on those two movies because there had already been numerous ANH-specific representations of the Falcon, and also because by doing so they could symbolically span the entire timeframe from the original trilogy to the current sequel trilogy.

(One might hope the 50th anniversary will bring an even more definitive version that specifically portrays the Falcon as seen in Return of the Jedi, or possibly even the entire saga.)

and compared to what Lego could have done for their anniversaries this yeah, I think many would agree what we got was just fine, but not great

Yeah, many would, but you specifically said “the best said about the 60th and 40th anniversaries held by Lego this year the better”, so I tried to please by saying the best about them. :grin:

Edited by Blondie-Wan

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

The 40th anniversary is of the saga in general, as well as of A New Hope in particular, and the set pretty obviously represents LEGO’s commemoration of the milestone. It was likely based on those two movies because there had already been numerous ANH-specific representations of the Falcon, and also because by doing so they could symbolically span the entire timeframe from the original trilogy to the current sequel trilogy.

(One might hope the 50th anniversary will bring an even more definitive version that specifically portrays the Falcon as seen in Return of the Jedi, or possibly even the entire saga.)

Yeah, many would, but you specifically said “the best said about the 60th and 40th anniversaries held by Lego this year the better”, so I tried to please by saying the best about them. :grin:

Ah right, didn’t notice my typo :laugh: meant to say less. Oh well

8 hours ago, Drudatz said:

Just take a look at the 60 years of Lego Promo(!) Set 40290 which depicts four famous Lego sets

Black Seas Barracuda (6285) from 1989 and the Monorail Airport Shuttle (6399) from 1990.

Which are love and famous and would bring them money if they where being produced today and yet they

(another one would be bringing out Gokarts in the Friends franchise instead of City.....)

Done a lot of market research to come to those conclusions have you? How many customers did you interview? Did you do online surveys? What was your methodology exactly? Whatever it was, it must be impressive to have so clearly shown what a billion dollar toy company couldn't figure out. Please, post your data!

10 hours ago, Drudatz said:

This is now my favourite Eurobricks quote of all time. I will treasure it until someone manages to say something else that makes me laugh as much. Thank you! You are a true comedian!

23 hours ago, Drudatz said:

I highly doubt any of those sets would make much money today, at least compared to modern sets. Yellow Castle may have fans in the AFOL community, but I don't think kids would want it. If they do a new castle, I think a modern design grey one would sell better.  Space Cruiser - again kids want something with a more modern design, not a view of space from 40 years ago. Barracuda - a similar one was done in 2015 (Brick Bounty), but I didn't see it rushing out of stock. Monorail - parts are likely to be expensive to produce and while some people (AFOLs) want monorail to come back, it is not seen by many (especially kids) as a futuristic transport system any more. Nostalgia for those sets might seem high, but that doesn't mean they would sell better than modern sets if reproduced.

I think LEGO does know what makes them money, they have plenty of data as to what sells. And it is fairly obvious they care too.

On the topic of CMF lines based on licenses Lego got via Dimensions, we should also get a Sonic/Sega CMF line. Hey, we got Overwatch, so it may happen.

Going back to Doctor Who, I hope that if it gets a CMF line we get Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor.

Edited by deadRahi

On 6/23/2018 at 12:09 PM, deadRahi said:

On the topic of CMF lines based on licenses Lego got via Dimensions, we should also get a Sonic/Sega CMF line. Hey, we got Overwatch, so it may happen.

Going back to Doctor Who, I hope that if it gets a CMF line we get Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor.

I think further Doctor Who stuff may not be especially likely, but it’s vastly more likely than further Sonic stuff. But you never know...

That said, I think that if more Doctor Who stuff does happen, it’s virtually a given that it’ll feature Whittaker’s 13th Doctor (or whatever other incarnation of the Doctor is the current one whenever LEGO returns to the theme, should it be a while). A bigger question is whether they’d go back and do any previous incarnations (which would now include Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi, both of whom they’ve already done, the latter twice). But if they do any more LEGO Doctor Who at all, it will at least include some representation of Whittaker’s Doctor, at least as long as it happens during her tenure in the role.

One other question is what form(s) further LEGO Doctor Who night take. The best bet for it happening at all would be if the BBC stepped up production of the show. I agree there’s enough material in DW’s long history to support a substantial theme of LEGO wanted to do it, but I don’t think they’ll want to do it unless new episodes appear on a more regular basis than they do now.

I also think there’s a better chance right now of getting Doctor Who Brickheadz than a Doctor Who Minifigures line.

4 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I also think there’s a better chance right now of getting Doctor Who Brickheadz than a Doctor Who Minifigures line.

Now that I can agree with. The thing with Brickheadz, it seems people either love them or hate them. I really try to keep an open mind on it but I just don't care much for them, even at a steep discount of a character I like. They do seem to be all the rage now though and they have a near inexhaustible pool of characters to draw from. 

I wonder if Lego would consider a minifigure set of the Doctors - not a CMF series, but simply a full set - as a convention exclusive. Only available, say, at the San Diego Comic Con. They already have the figure designs... I wonder how expensive and difficult it would be for them to produce and target such a set to a place which, most likely, contains the highest density of WHO fans all in one place.

- MJ

3 hours ago, MicroJow said:

I wonder if Lego would consider a minifigure set of the Doctors - not a CMF series, but simply a full set - as a convention exclusive. Only available, say, at the San Diego Comic Con. They already have the figure designs... I wonder how expensive and difficult it would be for them to produce and target such a set to a place which, most likely, contains the highest density of WHO fans all in one place.

- MJ

So many people would hate that.

(I think the greatest density of Whovians in one place would be at a Doctor Who-specific convention, rather than a general geek event like SDCC.)

11 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

True, as I presume that BrickHeadz sets are so much easier to cook up compared to typical playsets, in no small part due to their formulaic internal structure, therefore allowing for a streamlined design process.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

2 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

True, as I presume that BrickHeadz sets are so much easier to cook up compared to typical playsets, in no small part due to their formulaic internal structure, therefore allowing for a streamlined design process.

That, plus a so-called “CMF” series demands a largish number of figures (16 or more), often with new parts, to fill one of three slots a year, and a whole series of such figures from one theme (such as Doctor Who) means something else will have to wait, or not get such a series at all. Brickheadz appear not to have quite the same constraints - they can do a single character from a theme, or thirty, and release them in a trickle interspersed with characters from other themes, or whatever. Design aside, I think it’s simply a lot easier production-wise to offer a character as a Brickheadz than as part of a minifigure series.