LEGODalekbuster523

Doctor Who CMF Campaign

Maybe I could also do a campaign for a full LEGO Adventure Time theme. I mean reruns of the show are set to air on Cartoon Network’s Boomerang sister channel, and LEGO & Cartoon Network do have a positive partnership.

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

It won’t happen, there not exactly Doctor Who sets being produced nevermind a CMF line!

Autumn is about to see a worldwide milestone event happen in the show - the first female Doctor Jodie Whittaker. LEGO would be daft not to capitalise on that, at least with a CMF line to test the waters if nothing else.

I really doubt this is going to happen

There is already a CMF line scheduled for fall 2018: Harry Potter

And LEGO would need a year to design and produce a CMF line. So, the earliest would be May 2019. And that spot is already taken by either The Billion Brick Race CMFs or CMF Series 19. 

Also, I wouldn't say releasing a CMF would be "testing the waters". They already did that with the Ideas set and the Dimension stuff. If a CMF line hasn't happened, there must be a reason. 

3 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

And LEGO would need a year to design and produce a CMF line. So, the earliest would be May 2019. And that spot is already taken by either The Billion Brick Race CMFs or CMF Series 19. 

The Billion Brick Race isn't releasing next year. Isn't Harry Potter August? Series 11 doesn't start until October. They could have the CMF then; LEGO would be silly to miss out on a big worldwide event such as the first female Doctor in Doctor Who. It's like the 50th anniversary in terms of global scale.

4 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

The Billion Brick Race isn't releasing next year. Isn't Harry Potter August? Series 11 doesn't start until October. They could have the CMF then; LEGO would be silly to miss out on a big worldwide event such as the first female Doctor in Doctor Who. It's like the 50th anniversary in terms of global scale.

The next wave would be December/ January, and it’s gonna be devoted to The Lego Movie 2, with the next 2 rumoured to be the next regular series and Disney series 2.

i love Doctor Who, but apart from maybe a Brickheadz of the 13th Doctor down the line, this will never happen, and a twitter campaign won’t do much to change that

I appreciate the effort that Bill put into these example CMF figures, which look great--so let's focus on those specifically please. :thumbup:

Using this as a platform for promotion or (worse) yet some type of "validation via argument" wordplay for why this theoretical series should exist does not seem like a productive use of a thread...

The designs seem accurate, based on photos of the characters I found on google, but what’s with the staiend teeth they all have?

Hypothetically, if this were to actually exist, this series would be the a complete bomb. I don’t know any children who’d wanna collect 14 nearly identical old men all wearing similar looking suits. 

3 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

The Billion Brick Race isn't releasing next year.

That's why he said "either", as the delaying of the movie is quite likely, but still not officially announced yet. 

2 hours ago, saysonder said:

Hypothetically, if this were to actually exist, this series would be the a complete bomb. I don’t know any children who’d wanna collect 14 nearly identical old men all wearing similar looking suits. 

If Lego were to do a Doctor Who CMS, I believe it wouldn't be completely comprised of Doctors, as they'd probably want to include at least a few other female characters besides the Thirteenth Doctor for gender variety.

3 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

I appreciate the effort that Bill put into these example CMF figures, which look great--so let's focus on those specifically please. :thumbup:

Do you think this topic may have been better discussed within this broader discussion instead? Many other custom CMS creations have been brought up and discussed there in the past:

I'm just really bored of ANOTHER!!! Doctor Who thread by LegoDalekBuster. You're like the only one spamming the licensed thread with DW stuff in any possible way. If you're that much of a DW and Lego fan, build MOCs, design and custom print minifigs and show them here. Maybe you will get some recognition from that. But saying 1800 times (your number of posts) that Lego needs to do something because "in Fall there will be a female doctor and it would be a missed opportunity... Bla Bla" won't get you any more DW sets than we already have. Sorry for my harsh words, but that really annoys me.

^ Please, let's be civil.  You greatly exaggerate the frequency of Doctor Who wish posts from the OP, and the degree to which they "spam" the licensed thread.  Not all of us have the time, space, funds, or skills to produce physical MOCs, but many of those who don't do a valuable community service by highlighting the excellent MOCs of others, and this is a good example. 

^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks for posting.  This series looks great, and it would probably be a modest sales success if it was produced in the brick.  TLG has certainly not hesitated to pick up much more questionable licenses before.  That being said, it's an exaggeration to say that TLG would be "daft" not to capitalize on the novelty of Jodie Whittaker as the first woman Doctor by releasing a CMF series.

I don't think the designs are very good at all. The facial expressions are way off to the point of making these look absolutely awful.

12 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

What effort? They are ripped off from the Dimensions artwork.

12189651_1237061716307853_37511183914886

They have just taken those designs and stuck awful heads on them, removing the decent parts such as the scarf and hair/hat combos.

Except for Tom Baker's torso/legs, they ripped off Brick Bunch customs design for that:

Dr._Who_Tom_Baker__42737.1512344586.jpg?

They are essentially retweeting LEGO's own artwork to them, after amending it to look worse.

Edited by MAB

9 hours ago, icm said:

Not all of us have the time, space, funds, or skills to produce physical MOCs, but many of those who don't do a valuable community service by highlighting the excellent MOCs of others, and this is a good example. 

I do always appreciate such discussions myself too, especially if one is highlighting the work of others who aren't Eurobricks members. :classic:

I don't see this going anywhere, even with the "worldwide milestone event" happening.  Not that I don't want the minifigures, I do, but I don't see this happening.

23 hours ago, Whovastron said:

The next wave would be December/ January, and it’s gonna be devoted to The Lego Movie 2, with the next 2 rumoured to be the next regular series and Disney series 2.

i love Doctor Who, but apart from maybe a Brickheadz of the 13th Doctor down the line, this will never happen, and a twitter campaign won’t do much to change that

Never say never. If enough support is shown for the Twitter campaign LEGO would be complete idiots not to listen and release this as a CMF line.

22 hours ago, saysonder said:

Similar looking suits? None of them look similar! The Doctor outfits are extremely varied, and only four of them out of fourteen can be called 'old men'. Kids are a part of the show's family audience, so it would more than certainly be a theme popular with them. Doctor Who is the perfect fit for LEGO.

6 hours ago, Mattallica said:

a series of old men figures? not very exciting IMHO, do you think kids would be clamoring to buy them?

Definitely. Doctor Who is a very popular show among kids.

3 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Never say never. If enough support is shown for the Twitter campaign LEGO would be complete idiots not to listen and release this as a CMF line.

There are a lot of commemorative milestones that TLG have either overlooked or responded to in a underwhelming manner, especially ones of their own; so, I wouldn't be too optimistic. Plus, regarding CMS lines, Lego probably has many of their future lines planned ahead of time, so I don't think they'd be pulling out any stops to reconfigure their planned lineup now.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:24 PM, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Autumn is about to see a worldwide milestone event happen in the show - the first female Doctor Jodie Whittaker. LEGO would be daft not to capitalise on that, at least with a CMF line to test the waters if nothing else.

You’re overselling it. There’s a difference between what you want and what is going to happen.

9 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Similar looking suits? None of them look similar! The Doctor outfits are extremely varied, and only four of them out of fourteen can be called 'old men'. Kids are a part of the show's family audience, so it would more than certainly be a theme popular with them. Doctor Who is the perfect fit for LEGO.

Setting yourself up for disappointment.

Only Lego and Lego Ideas decide the future sets not Twitter.

9 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

That’s just not how Lego operates. You’d have to get thousands and thousands before they’d listen.

and you talk about milestones etc. There was no set for Back to the Futures 30th anniversary, and only 1 set for Jurassic Parks 25th anniversary. Even Star Wars didn’t really get a 40th anniversary set. And the best said about the 60th and 40th anniversaries held by Lego this year the better.

the only way any more Doctor Who content will happen is if, when the show returns, it is a huge success. But not just in the UK, but America. In recent years the popularity has dwindled drastically, you’re certainly overselling it

4 hours ago, Whovastron said:

and you talk about milestones etc. There was no set for Back to the Futures 30th anniversary, and only 1 set for Jurassic Parks 25th anniversary. Even Star Wars didn’t really get a 40th anniversary set. And the best said about the 60th and 40th anniversaries held by Lego this year the better.

Exactly. :sceptic:

Plus seeing as this is LEGO's own artwork being tweeted at them, I imagine they have already thought about doing a CMF line already. And decided against it. If they were going to do one, they would have done it.

It's also not really news anymore. It has been known for about a year that the new Doctor is going to be a woman and she has already appeared.

15 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

The old ones aren't. Show those to kids one at a time without the Doctor Who branding, and ask them who they are. They will probably get 11, 12, 13 and 14.

14 hours ago, Whovastron said:

the only way any more Doctor Who content will happen is if, when the show returns, it is a huge success. But not just in the UK, but America. In recent years the popularity has dwindled drastically, you’re certainly overselling it

The show's popularity is the same, it has shown no signs of 'dwindling' and has only got bigger.

8 hours ago, MAB said:

The old ones aren't. Show those to kids one at a time without the Doctor Who branding, and ask them who they are. They will probably get 11, 12, 13 and 14.

The Twitch livestream of classic Doctor Who will help there.

Every review period there are several ideas projects that get over the 10,000 supporters that are ultimently passed on by Lego. With a twitter campaign like this it would need to be massive to get the attention of the lego group. While granted I give the guy who created it props, it doesn’t seem at this point to be building to a massive campaign for the cmf, so I don’t know if it will truly get the attention of the right people in the Lego group. As for the doctor who licences as a whole, if doctor who was as popular as people are saying (I have no idea if it is or isn’t) and the idea set and the dimensions packs sold well, lego wouldn’t pass on a license like that, so clearly there seems to be something else here 

All you really need to know is that they physically released Doctor Who sets. Then they stopped. It's not a case of the license not being theirs, or them never even giving it a shot, or even them just being ignorant to a phenomenon as the company sometimes is. They had sets, and now they don't. Lego is a business, and if they saw this massive desire for more, they'd have done something about it because businesses love money. Everyone complains about how much Star Wars stuff there is, but the reason is because the line basically prints money. If there was that kind demand for Who, it would have been supplied.