mocbuild101

[Poll] What do you do with new sets?

Poll  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with new sets?

• Build them, nothing else.
    • Build the main model, then any alternate models.
    • Build them, then cannibalize them for parts.
    • Just put all the parts in my collection.
    • Put them away to build later.
    • Put them away to sell later.
    • Any of the above.
    • Other (please specify below).
  2. 2. Do you sort your sets' parts before you build it?

I always buy sets with the intention of building them straight away but this doesn't always happen and I reckon I've got 8 or 9 sets currently in my cupboard backing up waiting to be built.

Once I've built them I keep them displayed for a while and tend to only take them apart when they start to get get dusty or I need to make space for newer sets.

After I've taken the sets apart I almost always store them in their original boxes and tend not to blend all the pieces together in a parts bin.

Voted other: build the main model, then modify it to fit the rest of my stuff.  Example, Creator Drone Explorer set became a futuron vehicle.

Also have gotten in the habit of knolling parts across my desk before building, it gives a nice overview of the stuff I've just bought, makes color swaps easier, adds time to the building process, it's kind of nice.

Edited by Space Police XVIII
because flickr is kind of shit

18 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

I agree completely. Lego should be one of those things that gets spared from min-maxing.:wink: I noticed that really when building my first modulars. It is utterly focussing to forage for the right pieces - almost hypnotic.

I have noticed over time that my parts seeking abilities have really increased after countless hours searching for pieces to a set.

I can dump an entire bucket of LEGO on the floor and scan everything on the top and manage to find a tiny 1x1 plate within seconds 

17 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when I open a set I dump all the bags out at once--effectively desorting them. Sometimes you have to enjoy the hunt.

Who doesn't love the sound of sorting through mounds of LEGO?

i always build the sets. Depending on the set, I leave it built for a week or so if it’s not going into my town. Then they get dismantled & put into bins & labeled with the number- I’m a set collector. I rotate display pieces every few months. 

Build set, rarely build the B model, modify said set. Then I usually display it for a while before dismantling it and sort it's parts into bins for later mocs.

As far as the second part of the poll, I dump the parts out and start building while simultaneously sorting the remaining parts as I go along. No option for that in the poll, so I guess I am the only one doing it that way. 

I rarely have a set unopened for more than a few days, I just can't resist the urge to build. 

Edited by Johnny1360

3 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Build set, rarely build the B model, modify said set. Then I usually display it for a while before dismantling it and sort it's parts into bins for later mocs.

As far as the second part of the poll, I dump the parts out and start building while simultaneously sorting the remaining parts as I go along. No option for that in the poll, so I guess I am the only one doing it that way. 

I rarely have a set unopened for more than a few days, I just can't resist the urge to build. 

I got a new in box 10179 Millennium Falcon still in box and bags untouched. Never had room to put it once it was built so it's been sitting in the box since I ought it back in 2009

Edited by CarrollFilms

My intention is usually build the set, appreciate the set, and then cannibalize the set for useful parts, but this isn't always the case. The Jurassic Park 25th anniversary kit was quickly demolished for pieces, while sets like the Vampyre Castle were kept around for almost five years before I cannibalized it. I still own several models that I, for whatever reason, cannot cannibalize. The Mystery Machine, the Ecto-1, the Delorean time machine, Mystery Manor, the Emerald Night, the Constitution Train Chase's engine, the Christmas Train from 2006, just to name a few.

I m forced to put it away and hopefully build later, because i didnt have the space. therefore are lying over 60 sets in my parents house that are waiting to be build.

well some of them i build already but afterwards they go back in the box.