Foreman

What is your favorite Lego Theme?

Thanks I'm so glad people are commenting on this and I hope I see more responses

thanks for sharing

Bionicle is for sure my number one. That theme was my childhood. But as for actual system themes, it's a three-way tie between the Middle-earth themes (I group them together), Harry Potter, and Pirates! :pir-grin:

My favorite current theme would probably be Marvel Super Heroes. I love the movies and the sets always have unique characters and builds (most of the time). Also that is the theme I get the most sets from, though the new Harry Potter theme may take Marvel's place if it keeps up this year's quality. Though all time is a bit hard, I will always have a special place in my heart for the Indiana Jones and original Batman themes, as they are what got me into Lego. If Indiana Jones comes back that might instantly take my top theme place. 

Modular by far I just the amazing designs, techniques and the ability to connect them all together to make your own city. I love the new parts and mini figures that come with them too. 

Lego Ideas The Big Bang Theory was my first ever set so special significance/love for that line. Harry Potter :classic: oh and obviously the mini figure series!

My favourite current themes are creator (expert and 3 in 1) and city. If I had to pick my all time favourite theme I'd go with classic pirates though. This was my absolute favorite theme as a child and it was my rediscovery of all my old pirate sets as an adult that brought me back out of my dark age.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:35 PM, Foreman said:

Mine is the collectible Minifigures, but if you want a theme with real set then I pick Space Police III and hope I can get all the space police sets

On 5/27/2018 at 9:42 AM, J4ck said:

The CMF line is my favourite closely followed by DC.

I love the abundance of different characters available and it’s just so great to have an opportunity to buy mini figures that wouldn’t usually get produced!

On 5/29/2018 at 7:56 AM, leafan said:

I also appreciate the CMF series.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:44 AM, Robert8 said:

1. CMF (regular series)

You know, since the last time I replied on this topic, I've really come to further appreciate and regard the non-licensed Collectable Minifigure line as one of my favorite themes as we start to approach closer to Series 19's release, as it's really been waaaaay too long since the last non-themed Series. *

I'm looking at you Series 18.

Based on my buying habits over the past few years, it's either the Collectible Minifigs...or Build-a-Mini. Does Build-a-Mini count as a theme? I have a mild addiction.

Technics, by far. The bigger, the better. Longing for the Liebherr ...

On 5/12/2019 at 6:26 PM, Karalora said:

Based on my buying habits over the past few years, it's either the Collectible Minifigs...or Build-a-Mini. Does Build-a-Mini count as a theme? I have a mild addiction.

Well it does bring us exclusive pieces. Like the series 16 Hiker’s backpack in two shades of green.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:04 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

You know, since the last time I replied on this topic, I've really come to further appreciate and regard the non-licensed Collectable Minifigure line as one of my favorite themes as we start to approach closer to Series 19's release, as it's really been waaaaay too long since the last non-themed Series. *

Yeah I agree, although I also like the licensed themed CMF lines. I think at least 1 non-licensed series should be guaranteed every year, with the other two reserved for whatever they want.

Also, as a Castle fan, it's pretty much our last bastion of hope for new stuff.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:22 AM, leafan said:
On 5/12/2019 at 11:04 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Yeah I agree, although I also like the licensed themed CMF lines. I think at least 1 non-licensed series should be guaranteed every year, with the other two reserved for whatever they want.

Also, as a Castle fan, it's pretty much our last bastion of hope for new stuff.

It goes without saying that unlicensed CMS are also the only place we may ever see Lego represent genres, historical eras, and individual archetypes that could otherwise never see the light of day within a typical playset-based theme. Castle as a theme may more likely than not return someday as it's always done, but could you honestly say that the same will ever happen for, say, Ancient Greece and/or Ancient Rome in any way? :sceptic:

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It goes without saying that unlicensed CMS are also the only place we may ever see Lego represent genres, historical eras, and individual archetypes that could otherwise never see the light of day within a typical playset-based theme. Castle as a theme may more likely than not return someday as it's always done, but could you honestly say that the same will ever happen for, say, Ancient Greece and/or Ancient Rome in any way? :sceptic:

Well no but those eras have never had a full theme, so can't come back. I do think that both ancient Rome or Greece (or Rome vs Greece - for thematic purposes rather than historical accuracy) would make a great limited theme though.

My favorite theme is probably Harry Potter. The books and sets from 2010 were a big part of my childhood. The LEGO Ninjago Movie is great, and I like Creator Expert (really just the modular buildings).

Forever and always: Adventurer's

I adored it as a child and will continue to build within the theme.

Next, Agents. Agents pips Alpha Team as I loved the colour-scheme and the Mobile Command Centre is one of the few sets I have not raided for parts, even 11 years later.

Everything else is just fuel for my MOCs. :laugh:

Pirates, then Castle (esp. 1984-1996), then ... well it's not really a specific theme, but third for me would be the non-SW large sets from the last decade or so. 

In no particular order, I prefer City, Creator, Star Wars, and Space.  Those are the themes for which I most eagerly anticipate news of new sets, read reviews with the most interest, and am most likely to buy new sets.  (In Space I include any System-based space-related set from any theme, eg the Saturn V, Lunar Lander, and ISS.)  Next come Ninjago, Super Heroes, and Technic in no particular order as themes that I keep an eye on and sometimes buy from, but less frequently.

Personally, my all time favorite theme is tied between Castle, Pirates, and Star Wars. Star Wars is starting to take a second place due to the sets (and the saga movies) not being as interesting to me, and I'm wanting to expand my own creativity with builds. That being said, I'll absolutely buy a SW set that piques my interest. I do miss Bionicle and Exo-Force as well.

Of lines that are currently produced, easily the modulars (I fit the Old Fishing Store in here as well). They're so intricate, and there's clearly a lot of love in these sets from the designers. I never was a big City person when I was a kid, only had a few from the 2000s, etc. But these modulars make me want to build an expansive city and such. Now only if I could find a bigger apartment...:look:

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

6 hours ago, leafan said:

Well no but those eras have never had a full theme, so can't come back. I do think that both ancient Rome or Greece (or Rome vs Greece - for thematic purposes rather than historical accuracy) would make a great limited theme though.

Castle will certainly come back in some way, be it Nexo Knights-esque (which while really isn't castle, it has grown on me), fantasy-like, or straight up more historical without dragons and such. While it (and Pirates) are clearly not being made right now, people love those ideas. Fantasy books sell for a reason. LEGO would be stupid to not ever capitalize on that theme ever again. It'll come back, and I think with Amazon's LOTR show, and now a Wheel of Time (I admit, I've never read WoT), and rumors of an Eliza Dushku led Black Company series, etc, LEGO will go all in with either a new LOTR line or their own fantasy/historical theme to capitalize on it.

Playmobil did historical stuff for years; LEGO can do the same.

5 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Next, Agents. Agents pips Alpha Team as I loved the colour-scheme and the Mobile Command Centre is one of the few sets I have not raided for parts, even 11 years later.

Everything else is just fuel for my MOCs. :laugh:

I always wanted the MCC, it looked so cool!

2 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Playmobil did historical stuff for years; LEGO can do the same.

While I know others here who've said that Playmobil and Lego shouldn't be compared with each other, the way I see it, they're still both in the business of selling system-based playsets, even though one's a construction toy while the other isn't; so, there just has to be some shared general customer based between the two, and Playmobil offers quite a bit that Lego hasn't an answer to at the moment in their own product portfolio. I mean, Playmobil still has their own Castle and Pirate lines where Lego lacks both at the moment, not to also mention that Lego's never even had their own Ancient Roman line of playsets where Playmobil's had such for a while now. :def_shrug:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While I know others here who've said that Playmobil and Lego shouldn't be compared with each other, the way I see it, they're still both in the business of selling system-based playsets, even though one's a construction toy while the other isn't; so, there just has to be some shared general customer based between the two, and Playmobil offers quite a bit that Lego hasn't an answer to at the moment in their own product portfolio. I mean, Playmobil still has their own Castle and Pirate lines where Lego lacks both at the moment, not to also mention that Lego's never even had their own Ancient Roman line of playsets where Playmobil's had such for a while now. :def_shrug:

I see them somewhere in the middle (me and my friends were both LEGO and Playmobil kids). As it stands, I'll buy a Playmobil set as an adult because it looks good, but I'll buy a LEGO set for it looking good, playability, everything else. While I played with Playmobil a lot when I was a kid, as I grew older it became more of a setpiece rather than a story, if that makes sense.

I guess classic Pirates first, as I spend all my Lego money on e-bay and bricklink collecting the sets I still don't own.

I guess classic Castle second, as I have noticed myself to be checking those more and more while browsing old releases.

I guess City must be third, as my childhood dream was to have a train system spreading across a city diorama, but that would be such a huge and megalomaniac endeavour I am probably never going to give in to that.