mccoyed

AoM House Phase 2: The Long Way Home

42262601552_6be830d7b8_o.png

Years ago, Reifnir Wave-Breaker left a humble hut and a pregnant wife to answer the calls of the Jarls and fight the Algus in the frozen north. Even after they were vanquished, there was always another fight keeping him away.

At last he has returned and much has changed. He is greeted by the happy bark of a hunting dog that was once a pup, for it has never forgotten its first master.

41587875684_c3e21e0ace_o.jpg

Inside, a boy hears the bark and it is different than usual. Could it mean...

Inside, a wife dares not look up from her chores because she has long since given up all hope of seeing her husband again.

Spoiler

Builder's Notes:

-That is my attempt at a rowan tree out front of the house. Ran out of red cherry pieces, but someday I hope to make a bigger one.

-Originally, this wasn't going to have an interior. I started building the roof and then saw a way to do one, but it's not great. I need to try building with the interior in mind first!

-The studded floor inside the house is intentional, to make it seem rough (notice the dirt tracks) but I'm not sure I like the effect this way. Would have been better to texture it even more.

-This build was inspired by this pic: 5d69b5881740fd790c8b57cd1412aefe.jpg

Wow, this is great! I love the flower technique and will probably steal that in the future:laugh:. As always, an interior is refreshing, and the roof and foliage are nicely done. The overall atmosphere just feels very warm and mellow. One minor thing is that the path looks a little strange, being two plates higher than the grass around it.

Indeed, the flowers are lovely! I also really like the rounded corner's of the base

Looking at the image, I feel like a roof-window could have added just the extra bit, but even without that the house looks very fine (we even got an interior, hurray :thumbup: )!

Nice little house you made there, the landscaping looks good as well.

My favourite part is the wrapped sword on Reifnirs back, looks excellent!

The steep sloping roof that runs all the way down to the ground on one side really nails the Norse aesthetic :wub:And while dark blue roofs can often give a fantasy vibe, it still looks realistic in the setting you've created.

Tremendous cut-away to show the interior. It gives a nice clear view while still clearly representing the 'missing' walls' materials and location :thumbup: Plenty of neat details outside the building, with the lever base flowers and rounded model edges.
Overall a very polished build that is one of my favorites from you so far! Fun to see the image that inspired the model as well :classic:

On 5/23/2018 at 8:29 PM, KevinyWu said:

Wow, this is great! I love the flower technique and will probably steal that in the future:laugh:. As always, an interior is refreshing, and the roof and foliage are nicely done. The overall atmosphere just feels very warm and mellow. One minor thing is that the path looks a little strange, being two plates higher than the grass around it.

I myself stole the flower technique probably. I have a very, very expansive list of "favorites" on Flickr and pore through it every now and then. I'm sure I picked that idea up somewhere else, but in general I want to work on foliage and landscaping more. You're right about the path but my thinking at the time was about how roads, whether constructed of dirt or stone, tend to rise up above the ground a bit. A "trail" or human-made path wouldn't, though, and I think this kind of looks more like that.

17 hours ago, TitusV said:

Indeed, the flowers are lovely! I also really like the rounded corner's of the base

Looking at the image, I feel like a roof-window could have added just the extra bit, but even without that the house looks very fine (we even got an interior, hurray :thumbup: )!

Thanks. I definitely agree about the roof window but am VERY bad about that kind of stuff. There seems to be some uniform techniques for that kind of Lego architecture that just escape me and my attempts usually look terrible with big gaps and then nothing holds together well. Something to work on!

13 hours ago, Puvel said:

Nice little house you made there, the landscaping looks good as well.

My favourite part is the wrapped sword on Reifnirs back, looks excellent!

I'm a big fan of incorporating non-Lego elements with a light touch.

11 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

The steep sloping roof that runs all the way down to the ground on one side really nails the Norse aesthetic :wub:And while dark blue roofs can often give a fantasy vibe, it still looks realistic in the setting you've created.

Tremendous cut-away to show the interior. It gives a nice clear view while still clearly representing the 'missing' walls' materials and location :thumbup: Plenty of neat details outside the building, with the lever base flowers and rounded model edges.
Overall a very polished build that is one of my favorites from you so far! Fun to see the image that inspired the model as well :classic:

Thanks SK! As always, your praise makes me blush!

The steep roof really gives off that norse vibe, and the dark blue throws in an element of fantasy. The rounded base is another great detail. My only complaint would be the tree, I thing flex tube would look much better instead of the round 1x1s :thumbup:

Nice MOC! Great color scheme, wonderful roof, nice use of some printed parts and amazing foliage, especially the flowers. There is a significant difference between your newer and older builds. Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

On 5/26/2018 at 2:44 PM, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Great build! My favourite part is the roof, dark blue fits very well. The vegetation is very nice aswell. Good job!

Thanks!

On 5/26/2018 at 8:34 PM, The Maestro said:

The steep roof really gives off that norse vibe, and the dark blue throws in an element of fantasy. The rounded base is another great detail. My only complaint would be the tree, I thing flex tube would look much better instead of the round 1x1s :thumbup:

Thanks! I don't know if I agree about the tree but even if I did, I don't have any brown flex tubing. Would you have tried gray or black, as some do? Maybe that would have worked! I haven't used flex tubing for trees yet actually.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:30 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Nice MOC! Great color scheme, wonderful roof, nice use of some printed parts and amazing foliage, especially the flowers. There is a significant difference between your newer and older builds. Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

Thanks!

The roof all the way down is really great! Love that detail as well as all the other many details you have packed this great litte moc! Great work!

A lovely little cottage, mccoyed! The dark blue roof fits this particular setting very well, and I like that you included a little bit of stone at the base of the house, before transitioning to tan. Excellent touch with the dark green vine growing up the side of the house. It's always nice to see a good interior, and yours has some nice details, like the large barrel in the loft, and the various cooking utensils. The rounded base sets the whole build off nicely too :thumbup:

I like the results here, as others have said. The cottage as a whole looks very believable as a slightly run-down house in the middle of the woods, as shown by the vines and trees. I love that you have included an interior, too. I agree with TM about the tree looking better with flex tube, since with that level of foliage a tree would not have such a proportionally thick trunk. Put some more leaves on there, and perhaps expand the canopy a bit, and your stacked 1x1s would be great. I think my favorite detail is the way you got the chimney vertical off of the angled roof. Good work!

So many great things to see in this moc!  The vegetation around the house is quite lovely, and I really like pretty much everything about the roof.  Plus you pulled together a very well-detailed interior (npu on the "power" element in the bath tub, by the way).  My only critique would be that, while your chimney looks great and is cleverly-done, its location at the bottom of such a significant roof would be problematic when snow starts to pile up and slide down against it.

On 6/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, de Gothia said:

The roof all the way down is really great! Love that detail as well as all the other many details you have packed this great litte moc! Great work!

Thanks DG. Pleasure to see you around, my man!

On 6/8/2018 at 1:47 PM, LittleJohn said:

A lovely little cottage, mccoyed! The dark blue roof fits this particular setting very well, and I like that you included a little bit of stone at the base of the house, before transitioning to tan. Excellent touch with the dark green vine growing up the side of the house. It's always nice to see a good interior, and yours has some nice details, like the large barrel in the loft, and the various cooking utensils. The rounded base sets the whole build off nicely too :thumbup:

Thanks LJ. I actually built a much smoother and more "new" looking version of those walls without the worn stone transition. I rebuilt the whole thing because I wanted more detail.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like the results here, as others have said. The cottage as a whole looks very believable as a slightly run-down house in the middle of the woods, as shown by the vines and trees. I love that you have included an interior, too. I agree with TM about the tree looking better with flex tube, since with that level of foliage a tree would not have such a proportionally thick trunk. Put some more leaves on there, and perhaps expand the canopy a bit, and your stacked 1x1s would be great. I think my favorite detail is the way you got the chimney vertical off of the angled roof. Good work!

Yeah, I'll have to try a flex tube next time. I think gray and black looks weird (it's all I have) but I've seen other builds that use those colors of flex-tubing well. That said, some trees do have a lower wood to leaf proportion. However, rowans aren't really one of them and the tree definitely needed more leafy greens. I didn't want to upset the proportion of berry pods to leaves. I think I need more cherries!

On 6/12/2018 at 1:42 PM, The Stad said:

So many great things to see in this moc!  The vegetation around the house is quite lovely, and I really like pretty much everything about the roof.  Plus you pulled together a very well-detailed interior (npu on the "power" element in the bath tub, by the way).  My only critique would be that, while your chimney looks great and is cleverly-done, its location at the bottom of such a significant roof would be problematic when snow starts to pile up and slide down against it.

Oof. Good point about the chimney. Higher up would mean a lot less snow.