Dorayaki

The LEGO Movie 2: References Predictions?

Hi guys. As you know TLM2 is within our reach in 2019, there's some time for us to guess what references would like to be used.

As we knwo from TLM1, there were quite many references used, especially in the "master builder" when many major LEGO themes representives showed up. There's a very high chance for the same thing going on again, but it's not like LEGO/Warnerbros would always be obedient to what fans want. (for example, the famous Disney-owned media case, we all know that), so I start this topic to check if each franchise has the chance to be in TLM2 or not.

*References can be anything, the bigger one is of course having a character figure appear, the smaller one include buildings, world map, scenes, or even just lines.

*This topic is mainly activated before TLM2 officially released and all referenced are digged out.

*All franchises from TLM1 are all considered available options of references in TLM2, despite I personally wish to see new ones instead.

Category 1: franchises between TLM1 and TLM2

Which weren't able to make it into TLM1 so they might be starred in the first place.

UniKitty
Oh well, the direct spinoff of TLM featuring the very lovely UniKitty! Honestly it seems not very necessary to show all other characters beside UniKitty if she is already the representive from that franchise. But it wouldn't be bad to give Puppycorn and the others in some footage when Emmet and others visit the re-built Cloud Cuckoo Land again.

Mixels
In some aspects of CN cartoon shorts, it's the predecessor of UniKitty series. I think it's fine to have one of the Mixels or use the cubits references, but not quite sure if this discontinued theme has the popularity in marketing?

The Batman Movie
Similiar with UniKitty, they might not have to highlight TBM either because Batman and other DC heroes have been featured, or the story is possibly in a different canon. But TBM have grabbed lots of fans and it'd be sweet to see Alfred, Dick and Barbara from the TBM canon also show up in TLM2.

Elves
One of the current long-running LEGO originals, with unique elf characters and world. It'd be nice to show any elf character as a master builder

Nexo Knights
The other current running LEGO original, despite it's gonna discontinue this year...

Scooby-Doo
I assume the chance Scooby appearing in TLM2 is 100%. No explaination.

Jurassic World
Also 100% chance to have Owen in TLM2 considerin how big this franchise is to WB.

Minecraft
I think it'd make it in. Especially wowing audience by literally throwing Emmet into the Minecraft worlds and making him chase by the zombies, that'd be fun.

Team DFB
Well, not sure, Perhaps these guys will take O'Neal's place to star in TLM2?

The Angry Birds Movie
I'm not sure about this one as well (or should say I'm not sure how is WB doing with Rovio). ABM is gonna have sequel in the same time, but if we're not having ABM2 sets then, would that mean also no any bird in TLM2 as well?

LEGO Ideas exclusive franchises

Including Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, The Big Bang Theory, The Beatles, NASA ladies
All inroduced from LEGO Ideas, but Ideas franchises remain unknown. It'd be stated later.

LEGO Dimensions exclusive franchises
Including Sonic the Hedgehod, Gizmo, Jake, Betelgeuse... etc. Given that this film has the be closely based on physical figures, the other in-game characters might not be in the movie unless the sets have them. I'm neutral to see them in the film but the regular themes should still be prior IMO.

Powerpuff Girls
One of the extended franchise from the LEGO Dimensions, it'd make sense for them to be in as CN's main representives.

Category 2: past franchises before TLM1

Franchises which didn't make it into TLM1 for unknown reasons.

Back to the Future
If not counting the original Minecraft building set, this is the very first minifigure-scale LEGO Ideas licensed franchise. However, for unknown reason Marty and Doc didn't make it into TLM1. Despite without any other official regular set, the characters still returned in LEGO Dimensions and this proves it is still an active LEGO license. 
So, if BttF finally get included in TLM2 canon for this time, the other later LEGO Ideas franchise might all have the chance as well?

Friends
Currently the second longrunning LEGO original franchise behind Ninjago, which just faced a new reboot this year. It was in the third year when TLM1 was introduced, but they were not really presented in this film (only cited in the world map as a small reference). But now given how notable this franchise it nowaday, any of the Friends should really be in the TLM2 cameo this time.

BIONICLE / Hero Fcatory
Similiar with Friends, it onlt got small reference from the world map. But it also face huge issue of not quite fitting in the minifigre-scale world as buildable figure toyline, it's even more cruel for being discontinued once again before TLM2 comes. But as an important page of the LEGO history, I still wish that LEGO at least make another reference in TLM2 for this time.

Belville
Duh... I dunno, like BIONICLE, maybe just a small reference is enough.

Time Cruisers / Island Xtreme Stunts
Since Johnny had made apperance in TLM1, I would suggest these two historical franchises gets footage in TLM2 for this time, and it'd be sweet if Pepper Roni or Dr. Cyber gets some redesign in physical LEGO sets.

CITY Undercover
Okay, since Chase McCain has made it into LEGO Dimensions, hopefully also in TLM2 as well.

LEGO Universe / Clutch Powers
It might just be my personal wish, but I do think LEGO still owe these two franchises a footage since they were suppsoed to be the origins of LEGO crossover projects despite being only in LEGO non-physical media works.

Category 3: rumored future franchise after TLM2
Like how they inserted Milhouse in TLM1, it'd be predicable to have another one this time.

Overwatch
Okay, this is new, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Tracer hop in and steal Wyldstyle's glamor.

Here's my personal prediction 

Main cameos: Unikitty, The Batman Movie, Nexo, Jurassic, MInecraft, Powerpuff Girls

Small references / not quite sure: Friends, Elves, Mixels, BTTF, Team DFB

What do you guys think? Do you have different ideas about these franchises or you have other unmentinoed options?

Edited by Dorayaki

19 hours ago, Dorayaki said:

Scooby-Doo
I assume the chance Scooby appearing in TLM2 is 100%. No explaination.

I too think that their appearance is quite likely, not only because it's a Warner Brothers property, but also because WAG (Warner Animation Group) has a theatrical animated movie based upon the franchise coming the following year in 2020.

Friends
Currently the second longrunning LEGO original franchise behind Ninjago, which just faced a new reboot this year. It was in the third year when TLM1 was introduced, but they were not really presented in this film (only cited in the world map as a small reference). But now given how notable this franchise it nowaday, any of the Friends should really be in the TLM2 cameo this time.

Given the predominant role Finn's sister will be playing in this sequel, I definitely think it's safe to say that we will indeed see either the representation of the Friends theme or at least the appearance of some minidoll based characters.

The Batman Movie
Similiar with UniKitty, they might not have to highlight TBM either because Batman and other DC heroes have been featured, or the story is possibly in a different canon. But TBM have grabbed lots of fans and it'd be sweet to see Alfred, Dick and Barbara from the TBM canon also show up in TLM2.

Well, not only are Will Arnett's Batman and Channing Tatum's Superman definitely returning, but Batman is a focal point for the sequel's plot, as he's the one being rescued from the bedroom of Finn's sister. But as far as other TLBM characters go, I'd guess that only Robin will end up being a prevalent tag-a-longer, if anything.

I expect a Doctor from Doctor Who may appear given that the Daleks were in The LEGO Batman Movie, but it won't be 13 as it would have been too early to include her. It'll be the Twelfth Doctor voiced by Peter Capaldi.

I wouldn't count on Nexo Knights appearing in the film, since the line has been cancelled

But I bet the Ninjago Movie gang will appear at some point. Hope at least Dave Franco and Justin Theroux will reprise their roles. 

3 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I expect a Doctor from Doctor Who may appear given that the Daleks were in The LEGO Batman Movie, but it won't be 13 as it would have been too early to include her. It'll be the Twelfth Doctor voiced by Peter Capaldi.

The Twelfth Doctor was rumored early on to make, at the very least, a cameo appearance in the sequel; but since then, we've heard of at least one script rewrite, so he may or may not have been excluded from the film after the fact.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I wouldn't count on Nexo Knights appearing in the film, since the line has been cancelled

I never figured myself that any of the theme's characters would've played a supporting role of they did appear, just a cameo if anything at all.

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The Twelfth Doctor was rumored early on to make, at the very least, a cameo appearance in the sequel; but since then, we've heard of at least one script rewrite, so he may or may not have been excluded from the film after the fact.

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think he'll be there. Script rewrites would have been general narrative/jokes, and unlikely to affect planned cameos.

17 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Script rewrites would have been general narrative/jokes, and unlikely to affect planned cameos.

That's true. 

You know, I could also argue that the purported "Space" setting of the sequel could be very accommodating for the appearance of a Doctor in the movie, to whatever degree that would be. :shrug_oh_well:

Harry Potter is also a safe bet

They already included Voldemort in the Batman Movie

And now that the line has returned, I wouldn't be surprised if they even include an exclusive Harry Potter minifigure in one set, like they did with Lloyd

10 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

They already included Voldemort in the Batman Movie

...and Dumbledore in The Lego Movie before that.

19 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That's true. 

You know, I could also argue that the purported "Space" setting of the sequel could be very accommodating for the appearance of a Doctor in the movie, to whatever degree that would be. :shrug_oh_well:

Exactly, it would be daft to have a space setting and not feature cameos from the likes of Doctor Who, Star Wars (as much as I'm not a fan) and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy are Disney. I'm pretty that rules them out

Star Wars was in the first film because the deal to use the characters was made before Disney bought Lucasfilm

Edited by Robert8

13 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Exactly, it would be daft to have a space setting and not feature cameos from the likes of Doctor Who, Star Wars (as much as I'm not a fan) and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Licensed themes are fine and all of course, but I do hope that the majority of the focus is kept on original characters from in-house themes of days gone by, whether they be cameos or supporting roles.

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Licensed themes are fine and all of course, but I do hope that the majority of the focus is kept on original characters from in-house themes of days gone by, whether they be cameos or supporting roles.

You see, I prefer licensed themes appearing. I think that's much more fun.

15 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

You see, I prefer licensed themes appearing. I think that's much more fun.

Sure, I too love seeing many of my favorite licensed characters portrayed in minifigure form; and in turn, give us their own satirized takes on them in these cinematic movies. But, with such a current oversaturation of licensed lines overpowering and/or eliminating archetypical in-house themes, I'd really like to see these films try and make up for that to some degree.

With the rumored space storyline I could see them including references from classic franchises like ALIEN, or Planet of The Apes.

I didn't bother to look up who has the rights to those right now because I'm lazy. 

2 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

With the rumored space storyline I could see them including references from classic franchises like ALIEN, or Planet of The Apes.

Alien won't happen. It's not exactly kid-friendly.

5 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

By references, do you mean just call-backs and/or spoofs of certain elements and scenes from those franchises, or are you expecting actual cameos from them?

5 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

I didn't bother to look up who has the rights to those right now because I'm lazy. 

They're both franchises of 20th Century Fox's, but I don't know whether they'd be willing or not to share their characters with Warner Brothers for even small cameos.

15 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Alien won't happen. It's not exactly kid-friendly.

Uh, I think Newt would beg to differ on that one, pal.

On 5/30/2018 at 7:18 AM, Actor Builder said:

or Planet of The Apes.

+

On 5/26/2018 at 3:40 AM, Robert8 said:

Harry Potter

= Planet of the Snapes!!!:drunk:

On 5/27/2018 at 2:30 AM, Robert8 said:

Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy are Disney. I'm pretty that rules them out

Star Wars was in the first film because the deal to use the characters was made before Disney bought Lucasfilm

Weren't they originally gonna have Artoo as one of the main protagonists but had to change the star wars bit to a small joke instead after the Disney acquisition, meaning that Disney characters won't be centre stage but could appear for a gag. (Ala iron man sucks or the falcon bit from tlm). 

On 5/23/2018 at 10:34 AM, Dorayaki said:

Minecraft
I think it'd make it in. Especially wowing audience by literally throwing Emmet into the Minecraft worlds and making him chase by the zombies, that'd be fun.

I was recently wondering whether or not this may happen given that Warner Brothers (through WAG) also has a cinematic Minecraft movie releasing the same year. Maybe they could at least shoehorn a cameo in there for promotion of that film?  :shrug_confused:

On 5/23/2018 at 10:34 AM, Dorayaki said:

LEGO Dimensions exclusive franchises
Including Sonic the Hedgehod, Gizmo, Jake, Betelgeuse... etc. Given that this film has the be closely based on physical figures, the other in-game characters might not be in the movie unless the sets have them. I'm neutral to see them in the film but the regular themes should still be prior IMO.

Speaking of such, what do you think about the possibility of the Wizard of Oz returning for this one, after the appearance of the Wicked Witch and her monkeys in The Lego Batman Movie?

The poster is showing Unikitty, Benny, Wyldstyle, Emmet, Batman, Metalbeard.

of276so50lcx.jpg

There is a nice Planet of the Apes style vibe going on in the background. You maniacs! You blew it up. Ah, damn you. God damn you all to hell!

2 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

Yes! Planet Of The Apes references already! I love it.

I know the Statue of Liberty is rather referencing the 1968 classic, but I'd be totally amazed if Warner Brothers managed to get Andy Serkis' Caesar from 20th Century Fox as a cameo. :sweet:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

I know the Statue of Liberty is rather referencing the 1968 classic, but I'd be totally amazed if Warner Brothers managed to get Andy Serkis' Caesar from 20th Century Fox as a cameo. :sweet:

I'd rather have cameos from the original series, personally. I feel like they have a more quirky vibe fitting for  The LEGO Movie, but either way would be amazing. 

5 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

I'd rather have cameos from the original series, personally. I feel like they have a more quirky vibe fitting for  The LEGO Movie, but either way would be amazing. 

True, especially regarding the original's quirky vibe; but, Andy Serkis' Caesar was just such an amazing character for me, one that a minifigure for would be incredibly awesome to see in a tie-in set! :blush: