derlumpi

convert 9v to power functions

Hi guys,

my 3 and a half year old son aksed me if we can take the Lego trains out of the basement and play with it. So I brought it up and we built our first track and get going with our 3 cargo trains.

I currently own the blue cargo train that will be replaced by the new one this year. Don't know the exact number.
I also own 4563 Load N Haul Railroad and the 4564 Freight Rail Runner. 

This means I have mix of 9v trains and power functions. The same goes for the tracks. I considered switching the power functions train to 9v but looking at the price for 9v tracks I quickly changed my mind. :)

Now for the big question. Did anybody converted those two 9v cargo trains to power functions? Is there a guide that I can use? I guess it wont be that easy as both engines a fairly slim and for the red one its also very short.

I've recently attempted to rebuild 4564 for PF, and you can follow a thread I've created:

The outline is, because I didn't own original, my plan was to "redesign" it, so that it could hold PF components. In the end I've settled on building it (almost) vanilla version, but instead planned to equip it with 9V battery and IR receiver.

The bottom line is, I haven't yet motorized it - to put it simply, my kids don't play with those often, and if they do, they prefer to just push it by hand :)

Edited by Bartosz

If you don't want to change those old gems' nostalgic shape, a battery + receiver box car is the solution. Not the easiest and cheapest solution, but it works.

r_m

Edited by creator_hun
Spelling

If you are looking at converting by buying new Power Function parts, bear in mind that the new Power Functions 2 using Bluetooth release in July. You might want to wait for these to avoid another upgrade dilemma. This also reduces the space required as there is no separate infrared receiver to integrate into the build, just a battery box to hide.

Edited by curiosus

4 minutes ago, curiosus said:

If you are looking at converting by buying new Power Function parts, bear in mind that the new Power Functions 2 using Bluetooth release in July. You might want to wait for these to avoid another upgrade dilemma. This also reduces the space required as there is no separate infrared receiver to integrate into the build, just a battery box to hide.

Yepp... This is the most up to date solution, but as separate items both the new train motor and PF2 box will be hard to find even in the secondary market. 

Thanks for your answers guys! I will have a look at the new system after its release. Does Lego not sell those parts seperately? 

12 minutes ago, derlumpi said:

Thanks for your answers guys! I will have a look at the new system after its release. Does Lego not sell those parts seperately? 

They do but https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-Power-Functions-Train-Motor-88002 is currently out of stock. And its likely they won't sell the new Power Functions 2 parts separately until all the old ones are sold out. Hopefully they have already halted production which might explain why the current train motor is out of stock.

I wouldn't do it. PF is inferior compared to 9V. And 4563 + 4564 are hard to convert, because there is no space for the receiver and the power box.

4 hours ago, curiosus said:

They do but https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-Power-Functions-Train-Motor-88002 is currently out of stock. And its likely they won't sell the new Power Functions 2 parts separately until all the old ones are sold out. Hopefully they have already halted production which might explain why the current train motor is out of stock.

I think they will probably sell the new ones separately once they start selling the new sets.

Although you might find you can get good deals on the PF(1) gear on bricklink if lots of people decide to go for PF2 instead.

For a 3 year old I would keep the 9V train system if it works. Having a large controller with a big yellow dial is just right for a young child. I have found that young children do not understand how to use a hand held controller - maybe in years to come children will be given an I-phone at birth.

Also keep the 9V system and run it with the Power Function system - you can have two loops of track each controlled in their own way.

Later you may decide to change but don't do anything rash.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, derlumpi said:

my 3 and a half year old son aksed me if we can take the Lego trains out of the basement and play with it. So I brought it up and we built our first track and get going with our 3 cargo trains.

Thanks for your replies. 

My son seems to be able to control the remote better then the big dial of the 9v controller. I guess I wait until the new power functions are available separately and give it a try. The idea of 2 different loops has some merit, I will think about that. :)

3.5 years old is too young. I wouldn't worry about him not being able to control your trains at that age. Get him something without a motor that he can push along and then get him the new passenger train when he is at least 5 years old. Since you don't own any of the PF stuff yet, it's better to just wait a few more weeks for the release of the new Powered Up system anyway.

11 minutes ago, 3797 said:

Get him something without a motor that he can push along

Indeed! I find it suprisingly nice, that the current (60051) passenger train rear wagon just "pretends" to be an engine. If my boy (same age) wants to play with it (and he likes to play without motor) I just give him the unit without "motorized" locomotive, and that's it:)

And the 4564 I wanted to rebuild for PF - it's still motorless and he likes it that way too :)

Edited by Bartosz

I can say this...  The 9 v is great for response and control but your limited in trains running and parts upkeep.  

Pf is nice for its no fuss electrical but it's frustrating to run in a city layout due to line of sight.   

I personally would wait for PU.  Which I would have told you is a waste two weeks ago.   I got to play with the control and it's the way to go line of sight isn't an issue and it's so much easier to control speed on this.  Mind you they have a long way to go its a good move for Lego.