Jim

[REVIEW] 1001 - HispaBrick Magazine Kiosk

REVIEW - HISPABRICK MAGAZINE KIOSK

27216681777_e569c51a25_b.jpg

INTRODUCTION
Last year I was asked if I wanted to be the Eurobricks person to maintain contact with HispaBrick Magazine. I had never met Lluis or Jetro in person, but of course I was eager to maintain our good relationship with this great magazine. Due to some random events, I got to meet both Lluis and Jetro in Billund last year (2017) during the LEGO Fan Media Days. Turns out they are just as annoy...uhmmm.....friendly as they are online :wink: It's nice to meet people with the same, or even more, passion for the LEGO brick as myself or our own Eurobricks members.

This month marks the 10th Anniversary of HispaBrick Magazine and they decided to design a commemorative set for this event. Being the contact sometimes pays off, because I was asked if I was interested in reviewing the set. Of course I was excited to see what the set was all about and do a little review.

It isn't the most elaborate reviews of all time, but it's written with lots of respect for the team behind HispaBrick Magazine. Before you dive in the review, here's the link to the topic about HispaBrick Magazine 030.

SET INFORMATION
Set number: 1001
Set name: HispaBrick Magazine Kiosk
Number of pieces: 249

THE BOX
The box show that it's the 10th Anniversary Set and apparently I am one of the 50 proud owners of this unique set. Unless all the boxes show 38 of 50 :laugh:

27216682637_af9d584512_b.jpg

The back tells us a bit about the history of the magazine in Spanish and English and it shows us the complete part list of the set.

28213934398_4a4fd6dd94_b.jpg

CONTENTS OF THE BOX
The box contains: 

• 1x Big bag filled with most of the parts.
  • 1x Disclaimer note
  • 1x Green 16x16 baseplate
  • 1x Green 16x8 baseplate
  • 1x Stickers sheet

28213933998_afef5a0b9f_b.jpg

I wonder how HispaBricks customer service is?! Lucky for me, the set was 100% complete!

40279413140_b33914ae87_b.jpg

28213933828_c7d214647e_b.jpg

42086108491_2d356c171f_b.jpg

The sticker sheet contains all the covers of the past magazines! How cool is that?! I do see a lot of familiar MOCs on those covers. I really love the one with that cool life sized Mindstorms Robot made by Jim from Eurobricks. Yeah, that's probably never going to happen :laugh:

40279412770_e38fdd12ab_b.jpg

SPECIAL PARTS
The set contains three very special printed parts:

• The first HispaBrick Magazine printed, with the alien from the arvo brothers on the cover
  • HispaBrick Minifig Torso
  • HispaBrick 2x2 Tile

42086109801_e9f43d9308_b.jpg

PART LIST
Here's the complete part list of all the bricks used in this set.

28214183788_58e4c82df5_b.jpg

Which more or less boils down to these parts:

40279412400_d014e9292b_b.jpg

THE BUILD
You start by building the kiosk booth, which shows a computer screen for the register and a wonderfully designed coffee machine. You can't read a great magazine without a great coffee to go along with it :thumbup:

42086109461_9ed9d9023d_b.jpg

The roof of the kiosk is made by using an interesting building technique. You basically lay the two windows on the top of the building as a roof. They can be easily removed.

40279410200_3bb1100baf_b.jpg

There's a fresh coffee waiting for you on the counter. 

27216682187_b904b7ac9a_b.jpg

How about getting the latest edition of HispaBrick Magazine and reading it on the bench next to the kiosk.

40279411590_18e4962c93_b.jpg

The backdoor of the kiosk...."Employees Only"!

42086109161_d25e980f90_b.jpg

This lovely set doesn't consist of the kiosk alone. You can also rent a bike. And you don't even need to go to a front desk, it's fully automated.

42086109151_e608389b2d_b.jpg

Connecting the bike to the rack is very cleverly done, using the Technic plate with hole to connect to the headlight part of the bike.

40279411160_c2c7077ee5_b.jpg

COMPLETED MODEL
Taddaaaa....the completed model. I haven't used the stickers on the two magazines, because I wanted to keep the sheet as new.

42086108821_5b930d5400_b.jpg

The photographer is reading the latest edition...

40279410800_44d27d005f_b.jpg

...while the girls is fooling around with her skateboard.

40279409860_6438db6a20_b.jpg

Isn't this the cutest set ever. I really like it and it will definitely look good in a bigger LEGO city display.

27216681777_e569c51a25_b.jpg

One final shot of the set.

42086108201_c4b1eae4a1_b.jpg

CONCLUSION
I like to express my special thanks Jetro and Lluis for sending me this set. I absolutely love it and I am very proud own it, and to have contributed to the the 10th Anniversary of HispaBrick Magazine. I wish you guys all the luck in the future and hopefully I will be writing another review in 5 or 10 years. Take care!

3 hours ago, Jim said:

The sticker sheet contains all the covers of the past magazines! How cool is that?! I do see a lot of familiar MOCs on those covers. I really love the one with that cool life sized Mindstorms Robot made by Jim from Eurobricks. Yeah, that's probably never going to happen :laugh:

Start building that robot already!! :laugh:

2 hours ago, Jetro said:

Start building that robot already!! :laugh:

I have started it ages ago :laugh: Time, time, time....and other hobbies/activities. I will continue the project some day :wink:

Cool set and nice review! I would like to add, that HBM#30 issue contains the instructions for the model if anyone needs it.

I love that bike rental area. The way they attach the bikes is clever, will definitely pinch the idea at some point. A very cute set overall.

Great little set. That bike rack is just fantastic, I love the connection point. And the, what looks to be, movie rental machine is cleverly built as well. 

Nice review like usual. This is a neat little set. I can imagine you must be proud to get the chance to review this set. 

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Great little set. That bike rack is just fantastic, I love the connection point. And the, what looks to be, movie rental machine is cleverly built as well. 

Very nice little set indeed!

That bike rack just took me back to a holiday in Sevilla where I saw those things everywhere.

That vending machine is cool but I think it's for softdrinks, since I haven't seen many movie rental machines in Spain(or Europe in general) a lot. I could be wrong though..

I also like that even though it's a small set on a low quantity production(only 50 if the box is correct) they still have gone the extra mile on design by putting 2 custom printed tiles and a minifig body in it AND adding a sticker sheet for all HPB's issues to be put on a 2x3 tile.

Good work guys and you too, Jim, this review really puts the set in the spotlights!

Awesome work Jim. Your review has made this excellent custom set so appealing. I like it very much. 

11 hours ago, Ravelino said:

That vending machine is cool but I think it's for softdrinks, since I haven't seen many movie rental machines in Spain(or Europe in general) a lot. I could be wrong though..

Yes, it is suposed to be a Vending machine for softdrinks, although the colour is not related to a well known cola brand... It was only because red colour is common and when searching for parts, they were easy to get.

BTW I would like to thank you for all the nice comments about the set. I am especially happy that you like the way to put the bicycles in the rack. There are some hours behind the final design. 

Enjoy it!