leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

Recommended Posts

It's odd that we haven't heard anything more on the two new Overwatch sets that were at the German Toy Fair. Maybe they were delayed and we'll just get another winter wave like this year at the start of 2020?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wonkyeye1 said:

It's odd that we haven't heard anything more on the two new Overwatch sets that were at the German Toy Fair. Maybe they were delayed and we'll just get another winter wave like this year at the start of 2020?

They‘re slated for an Autumn release, which is why haven‘t seen any leaks :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

They‘re slated for an Autumn release, which is why haven‘t seen any leaks :wink:

AH okay thanks. Then I imagine we'll start getting more info on them around the same time the Episode 9 stuff starts leaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

deleted.  post in wrong forum =(

Edited by Pchan1983
wrong post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is overwatch one and done theme? I constantly see sets on sale and it seems like no one is buying theme after initial hype. So you guys think summer wave will be the last one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

So is overwatch one and done theme? I constantly see sets on sale and it seems like no one is buying theme after initial hype. So you guys think summer wave will be the last one?

I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised . . although I'll be honest I'd buy more Overwatch stuff than I have if not for how limited distribution is in Australia. 

Also, sales? Where? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be suprised.. It's a very niche theme, but I don't think the idea behind it was wrong. They can pull this kind of theme off if it's more relevant (I know Overwatch has a large playerbase, but it's kind of old for today standards) such as Fortnite/Apex or whatever is the new best thing in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

So is overwatch one and done theme? I constantly see sets on sale and it seems like no one is buying theme after initial hype.

Well, for those more knowledgeable about the game, how much more could be sourced from it for sets? There's nothing that annoys me more than "one and done" themes, irrespective of whether or not I care for that theme; so, I'm hoping that Overwatch can get at least three years worth of set waves for the sake of it. :def_shrug:

3 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

So you guys think summer wave will be the last one?

Like I said above, I'm personally hoping it isn't, but where is this summer wave anyway? Nearly all the other playthemes have official images out of their summer wave... :shrug_confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, for those more knowledgeable about the game, how much more could be sourced from it for sets? There's nothing that annoys me more than "one and done" themes, irrespective of whether or not I care for that theme; so, I'm hoping that Overwatch can get at least three years worth of set waves for the sake of it. :def_shrug:

Like I said above, I'm personally hoping it isn't, but where is this summer wave anyway? Nearly all the other playthemes have official images out of their summer wave... :shrug_confused:

There's definitely quite a bit more they could make sets out of, only three out of like 18 have sets based on them so far.

And apparently the second wave is more of an autumn release, so I'd imagine we'll start hearing more about it at the same time we start hearing more about the Star Wars Episode 9 sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, for those more knowledgeable about the game, how much more could be sourced from it for sets? There's nothing that annoys me more than "one and done" themes, irrespective of whether or not I care for that theme; so, I'm hoping that Overwatch can get at least three years worth of set waves for the sake of it. :def_shrug:

They could definitely make it last quite a while if the sales are there. so far they've done brickbuilt figures of robotic things, small sets of the payload vehicles you escort, and major capture-points that you fight over. the game has a few more mech-like buildable characters and only 3 of the 21 maps have been used. IMO as a lego addict who plays a ton of overwatch, most of the maps do have things that could make good sets. at the risk of insane daydreaming, here are some examples of things that could be sets:

buildable characters: Orisa, a four-legged robot with a gatling gun arm and a shield. wrecking ball aka Hammond, an intelligent hamster that broke out of the science lab and is driving a mech around.

Payload maps (and hybrid maps): push a cart to an objective, possibly after capturing a fixed point. it's the map type they used for 3 of the 4 location-based sets so far. A couple examples of how they could pull stuff from these maps:

Eichenwald: the German map. you fight your way through a ruined yet quaint, vaguely medieval street, capture a payload vehicle (a battering ram), push it through a gate, through the outer courtyard of the castle, smash a big gate, and push the cart to the throne room to retrieve the king's armor. they could pair the battering ram with one of the gates, ruined village scenery, or the throne to create a small set. if they wanted a big set, battering ram/ big gate/throne room/ enough castle to flesh out the piece count would work. Also got featured in an animated short.

Junkertown: A bandit fort in the Australian outback. you push a cart of gold that's secretly hiding a bomb in it through the streets of the town towards the main vault. i think i heard this might actually be one of the two remaining sets, though? some of the vague Toyfair descriptions made people think of it.

King's Row: a London map that would be a sweet excuse to build a clock tower or a narrow street lined with cute shops.

Then other map types:

Assault maps: taking turns attacking and defending fixed points. Paris, Egypt, a moonbase...  plenty of opportunities to get a pretty piece of terrain, and maybe shove in some play features like a minifigure scale version of Bastion with stud shooters in it, or some kind of launch-people-out-the-airlock feature in the moonbase. The small Hanzo vs Genji set came from a map of this type, which got used in those characters' animated short.

"Control" map type: The five maps that might be generically called king-of-the-hill. You fight over a series of 3 points on separate maps. Every one of the five levels has at least one of these points that could look good as a set: a mech hangar in Busan, a lighthouse or ruined temple in Greece, a temple in Nepal, etc.

Random vehicle: Overwatch dropship.  it's a spawn room on like half the maps and could be paired with any of those, if they think ships sell.

 

And I'll stop there so i don't wishlist my ideas for every single map, haha.

If they stop making OW sets it'll be because the sales disappointed or Blizzard decided it didn't want to invest more money in the brand. The source material is there to make cute sets in a variety of settings, and to keep hitting all the pricepoints/sizes needed to fill out waves of sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Petra can double for its use in Indiana Jones (holy grail resting place) and Arrow (league of assassins base)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overwatch would've fit better and sold better with a CMF wave. Even if it wasn't a main wave and was in the background like the Unikitty series, because Other than a few locations, Overwatch is mainly about the characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, corasaur said:

 

If they stop making OW sets it'll be because the sales disappointed or Blizzard decided it didn't want to invest more money in the brand. The source material is there to make cute sets in a variety of settings, and to keep hitting all the pricepoints/sizes needed to fill out waves of sets.

This worries me. Activision-Blizzard made big budget cuts after the Diablo Immortal debacle, and you can even notice it the game. The Archives event this year has been really really dissapointing. Not only the PVE content was the shortest one, but they didn't even added new emotes for the event.

I hope the Lego sets are selling well, because I want to have all characters. I think Overwatch is a very profitable IP, but Blizzard could have handled it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hachiroku said:

This worries me. Activision-Blizzard made big budget cuts after the Diablo Immortal debacle, and you can even notice it the game. The Archives event this year has been really really dissapointing. Not only the PVE content was the shortest one, but they didn't even added new emotes for the event.

I hope the Lego sets are selling well, because I want to have all characters. I think Overwatch is a very profitable IP, but Blizzard could have handled it better.

They're still trying to push OWLeague and have been advertising other overwatch toys. I think they push the brand for at least one more year, though it may not involve lego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the 3 summer Lego Movie 2 sets were leaked so the other 2019 Overwatch sets hopefully shouldn't be to far behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 9:56 AM, Nexogeek said:

So the 3 summer Lego Movie 2 sets were leaked so the other 2019 Overwatch sets hopefully shouldn't be to far behind. 

Hope you're right, but I believe the new sets come out in October and that may be too late to be included in the catalogue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 3:56 PM, Nexogeek said:

So the 3 summer Lego Movie 2 sets were leaked so the other 2019 Overwatch sets hopefully shouldn't be to far behind. 

Or they might have an entirely different release schedule and could be announced at Blizzcon 2019 (November 1-3) like last year and possibly release December or January. (or announced a bit before Blizzcon and actually sold there first)

The theme itself was announced/teased earlier in May 2018, but the sets were officially revealed at Blizzcon 2018. (leaked 1 week before that by an error from Target)

Also LEGO was at this year's E3 for Star Wars and Speed Champions, so having LEGO related things at game shows like Blizzcon again isn't that odd, especially if it's like the #1 Overwatch event of the year.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know absolutely nothing about the Overwatch game or characters but loved the builds and minifigure design so much I bought almost all the sets on day one. I would hate to see it go after just two waves (the second of which apparently having only two sets) - it's almost like a spiritual successor to Exo-Force by being a theme with mainly mech builds and other landscape/vehicles here and there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny (or sad) thing is that we might already have seen pictures - if the person who skimmed the Ukrainian catalogue in that video the recent ‚leaks‘ were from didn‘t skip the Overwatch section :grin: I paused the video on the overview page and Overwatch was in there, but the person accidentally went straight from Ninjago to Harry Potter :snicker:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

The funny (or sad) thing is that we might already have seen pictures - if the person who skimmed the Ukrainian catalogue in that video the recent ‚leaks‘ were from didn‘t skip the Overwatch section :grin: I paused the video on the overview page and Overwatch was in there, but the person accidentally went straight from Ninjago to Harry Potter :snicker:

No new Overwatch sets in Catalog https://catalogs.lego.com/brandCatalog/1HY2019/we/nl/?page=98#/  Pages 98-99 are in-between Ninjago and Harry Potter.

 

 

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.