leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Vindice said:

When do we usually start hearing leaks from the retailer catalogue?

Late December usually, but security has been getting tighter :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found out that OW sets are not sold in regular stores in the Netherlands, according to Brickwatch.net. I wonder why? To me, OW seems pretty lively here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

I just found out that OW sets are not sold in regular stores in the Netherlands, according to Brickwatch.net. I wonder why? To me, OW seems pretty lively here.  

Same here in the UK where they're only sold at Argos or Lego stores. I assume that Lego are testing the waters with this theme since it's targeting a slightly older demographic than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I just found out that OW sets are not sold in regular stores in the Netherlands, according to Brickwatch.net. I wonder why? To me, OW seems pretty lively here.  

They are semi-specials. Meaning that only S@H and specific Lego retailers will sell them. You will not find them at Intertoys or other toy shops. 

I saw that Bol.com sells them so I guess they are exclusive to them besides the brand retailers (shops like BrickShop, PlayToday, etc.). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Australia, they are exclusive to Amazon. No shelf space, no toy or department shops. The Warcraft Megabloks were sold at EB Games, I think Overwatch Lego could sell really well there.

Edited by Artanis I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After giving the minifigures from 75970 Tracer vs Widowmaker and 75975 Watchpoint Gibraltar to my brother, I went to my local used Lego store and bought some astronaut and ground crew minifigures from 60080 Space Port, which is the Space Shuttle set released in 2015.  With those minifigures and some easy-to-find wheels as landing gear for the two spaceships, it makes a great near-future Space Center that fits really well with City and with the Moonbase and Rover alternate builds of 31066 Shuttle Explorer, the 2017 Space Shuttle set.  I'd still like to build a satellite for the cargo bay and a light utility vehicle to move personnel around the launch site, but I'm pretty satisfied with the space center as-is.  It may be a piece of background scenery from a licensed theme based on a first person shooter videogame, but I'd gladly recommend the 75970/75975 combo to any Space fans. 

As a longtime space buff, I think it's particularly cool because it's the closest thing to a realistic reusable single-stage launch vehicle concept like the VentureStar that we're ever likely to see in Lego, and also the closest thing to a small lifting body-based uncrewed space plane like the X-37B that we're ever likely to get.  Alternatively, the big rocket makes a great flyback booster for all manner of piggyback hosted payloads, like the 75970 drone, the 31091 midi-scaled Space Shuttle, and even little Star Wars ships or anything else you can fit on there.  Again, I never expected to see a fully reusable two-stage launch system with flyback booster approximated in Lego to any degree. 

When the Overwatch theme was first announced and pictures of the rockets released, I was disappointed because it meant another year without a traditional Space theme, but now I'm confident I like these two sets better than I'd like any other Space sets Lego would be likely to make -except a good City wave, and rumor has it that there will be quite the City Space line this summer!  So that makes 2019 a pretty great year already.

TLDR: Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, icm said:

 

When the Overwatch theme was first announced and pictures of the rockets released, I was disappointed because it meant another year without a traditional Space theme, but now I'm confident I like these two sets better than I'd like any other Space sets Lego would be likely to make -except a good City wave, and rumor has it that there will be quite the City Space line this summer!  So that makes 2019 a pretty great year already.

 

Good to know! I might have a go at doing that so thanks for the heads up. This theme could present some very interesting mash ups. I might even put a payload on one of my train tracks and make some interesting set pieces to surround it.

If LEGO are indeed testing the theme out with an older demographic then that could bode well for future themes. I just wish Mass Effect was still popular. That would've looked amazing in LEGO form.

I'm actually excited to see how this theme performs, if it takes off well then we could see some amazing sets to come out of this. I am going to keep the faith that we will see more sets in the summer, I like complete collections so I won't be satisfied until we have at least all of the original roster. I don't make guesses usually but I would think we might see a Junkertown, including one of the more recognisable payloads plus Junkrat, Roadhog, possibly a brick built Wrecking Ball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the US they are readily available at Target. They seem to be selling well. I do think this is very much a "test the waters" theme and wave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 5:07 PM, JasonEffex said:

Same here in the UK where they're only sold at Argos or Lego stores

Sainsbery's also stocks them since the two companies merged. So you might see them there. I saw them stocked in the toy isle, but that was in a Sainsbury's that had an Argos department.

Honestly, I don't see why Lego have gone with a line of larger sets rather than a CMF series. An Overwatch CMF not only makes more sense toward the IP, but would also be much more likely to gain sales from people who are only fans of Lego or only fans of Overwatch. I don't get why they went straight into a line of sets. Though, the builds look nice, i'm not too interested in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, Brick Cucumber said:

Honestly, I don't see why Lego have gone with a line of larger sets rather than a CMF series. An Overwatch CMF not only makes more sense toward the IP, but would also be much more likely to gain sales from people who are only fans of Lego or only fans of Overwatch. I don't get why they went straight into a line of sets. Though, the builds look nice, i'm not too interested in it.

Lotr didn´t get a Faramir, Eowyn or even Sauron or the witchking. In the planning of the Hobbit line there was a discussion which dwarfs should be included. With a bit of bad luck we would have got an incomplete Fellowship in both trilogies. Star Wars, the evergreen theme still needs a lot of characters. Same with Harry Potter, the Simpsons and so on. If there isn´t a very, very small group of main characters lego doesn´t care about completion. Look into the Scooby Doo cmf-wishlist-threat. Even with the whole gang and a lot of side characters big fans feel like there should be more. Lego picks the few things most people will buy and for someone who doesn´t play Overwatch ike me it seems they already did the most popular characters with Tracer, Gorilla, Eva, Mercy (even if her face Looks terrible) and the Knight.

Like Ninjago (Steampunk, medieval Japan, Modern cars...) Overwatch (Mechs, Cowboy, Ninja...) combines a lot of themes so you can make some interesting sets for Kids even if they do not know the licence. They are the target group. These sets will also appeal to fans of the game and if you are a hardcore fan of Eva you will likely buy the set. If the fans of the licence without any connection to the AFOL community would buy a CMF-Eva for 10€ from a reseller who makes 6€ profit Lego would make much less money than with the set everyone can easily buy. If you want to make Lego look a bit less greedy you could also say for example Evas mech is as much important as herself and fans would miss it in a cmf. A Looney Toons cmf would be more fitting without material like iconic buildings and vehicles for whole sets.

On the other hand there are much stronger licences like Disney and Harry Potter(i would ignore the Lego Movie cmfs because it´s as well promoting the own movie as making money from the already known one). If you make one unlicenced series per year, at least one for your own movies and maybe one to a 3rd party licence it´s not the smartest move to choose a videogame, which is already loosing popularity again, compared to a second Disney Series for example.

The most important argument is the number and kind of new moulds required. Disney and Harry Potter cmfs have reusable haipieces and accessories. A lot of the new middle earth set moulds like hair pieces and swords are reusable for different themes so it was still ok to do a few more unique beards for the dwarfs. Overwatch needs a lot of very special parts which are completely wothless for Lego in the future if they dont want to produce more OW sets. An Overwatch cmf wont happen like a 3rd. Simpsons series with quite unknown characters like Disco Stu or Fat Tony, even i it would be great for the fans. I can understand the decission.

Edited by Gorilla94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

2 new summer sets: 75966 'Bike' and 75967 'Droid'. 

“Bike” can only mean one thing... :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 5:25 PM, Exetrius said:

I just found out that OW sets are not sold in regular stores in the Netherlands, according to Brickwatch.net. I wonder why? To me, OW seems pretty lively here.  

Oh that explains a lot. I've been looking everywhere for them. It's Scooby Doo all over again.

Anyway yay new sets. Although I can't remember ever seeing a bike in overwatch, well except for the one in Junkertown. So Junkrat and Roadhog maybe?  The droid could be many things, another Bastion, zenyatta, or maybe even Orisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES! So happy we're getting at least 2 more sets this year. Depending on what the droid set is, I'd guess we'll get maybe 3-5 new heroes total. So not enough to finish off the original roster, but getting closer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wonkyeye1 said:

YES! So happy we're getting at least 2 more sets this year. Depending on what the droid set is, I'd guess we'll get maybe 3-5 new heroes total. So not enough to finish off the original roster, but getting closer!

Indeed, tbh I wasn't even expecting a second wave, so I'm happy with everything they throw at us:laugh_hard:. I'm just hoping they're not going to fill up another character slot with a random non hero character like last time. Well except for that girl that made Orisa, she will be nice to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad we are getting a summer wave, while small still holds possibility for some great sets and figures. If we get sets next year I would love to see a route 66 one based on the short 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nexogeek said:

Glad we are getting a summer wave, while small still holds possibility for some great sets and figures. If we get sets next year I would love to see a route 66 one based on the short 

Oh yes there are bikes on route 66 and in that short as well, I completely forgot that. But we aleady got McCree. Ofcourse Bob and what's her name could be included, but since they're that recent I'm going to bet my money on junkertown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Huigberts Builds said:

Oh yes there are bikes on route 66 and in that short as well, I completely forgot that. But we aleady got McCree. Ofcourse Bob and what's her name could be included, but since they're that recent I'm going to bet my money on junkertown.

junkertown seems likely for summer given "bike" I was saying if we got a Winter 2020 wave Route 66 would be great as a larger set that way it would be a year after we first got McCree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

junkertown seems likely for summer given "bike" I was saying if we got a Winter 2020 wave Route 66 would be great as a larger set that way it would be a year after we first got McCree 

True, that would be the best outcome, especially since we now have that new cowboy hat and hair combo from the lego movie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be pretty cool if "Bike" is McCree on Ashe's motorcycle, but it's basically guaranteed to be Roadhog and Junkrat's bike.

When I think of "Droid", I don't think of any Omnics. I'm more inclined to think it might be a Volskaya Industries hanger set, with the giant robot. Maybe throw in Sombra and Zarya while we're at it.

I'd love it if it were a build-an-Orisa, tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, do we have a source on this? @Kevii23

It's not from the toy fair report, so I assume it's a private source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

By the way, do we have a source on this? @Kevii23

It's not from the toy fair report, so I assume it's a private source?

I saw it on instagram (Paul seeley) and thought it was from zusammengebaut. It isn't on his website? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit: You're right, they are clearly mentioned in the report. I must've missed that somehow :snicker: 

Quite weird that Overwatch was present while Harry Potter, Marvel, Jurassic World and Minecraft weren't... 

Edited by Lego-Freak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 9:03 PM, Penkid11 said:

Would be pretty cool if "Bike" is McCree on Ashe's motorcycle, but it's basically guaranteed to be Roadhog and Junkrat's bike.

When I think of "Droid", I don't think of any Omnics. I'm more inclined to think it might be a Volskaya Industries hanger set, with the giant robot. Maybe throw in Sombra and Zarya while we're at it.

I'd love it if it were a build-an-Orisa, tho.

Very good points. Volskaya would be an attractive option for TLG but although Zarya and Sombra are obvious choices I don’t see them making a set based upon just those two. 

I think Orisa is likely here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 10:03 PM, Penkid11 said:

When I think of "Droid", I don't think of any Omnics. I'm more inclined to think it might be a Volskaya Industries hanger set, with the giant robot. Maybe throw in Sombra and Zarya while we're at it.

That has actually has a pretty high chance of happening. Especially considering lego loves to make giant mechs and robots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.