leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

Apparently these potentially could have a late December release 

January 1st is the release date, confirmed by Target.

5 hours ago, hachiroku said:

I find weird that we will have only two villains, but except that, I'm really happy with the sets. Even with the "UCS" Bastion (I wasn't expecting something like that).

Well, depending on how you look at it Hanzo could be interpreted as a villain. 

But I've already said I'm disappointed that there's no Sombra, so I won't repeat myself . . . wait I just did

They aren't bad, but already seeing duplicate Reaper before all characters are added is a bit weird and worries me for future waves having more duplicates as well.

Also no Bastion minifig, worries me about characters like Wrecking Ball or Orisa.

I know there's likely gonna be a summer set wave, but for now I'll wait for reviews.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm excited about the D.Va & Reinhardt set, first because I like mechs & they're both nice (especially D.Va's), second because I like anything LBG, and not only we're getting a nice new (I guess?) shoulder part, we're also, 14 years later, finally getting a LBG version of 47458.png, while the DBG hasn't been produced for years & has become quite expensive.

(hoping that the part isn't silver coated, it's hard to be sure from the pics)

These sets look a-Mei-zing (despite the lack of an actual Meinifig)! And some of them seem ridiculously cheap for licensed sets given the part counts! I love the inclusion of Pharmercy, one of my favorite strategies. All the builds look great and that Bastion is heaps better than that stupid overpriced Omnic version thanks to its ability to transform alone, although I wish it came with a minifig-scale version as well. That little health pack in the Hanzo vs. Genji set is a nice touch and makes me wish they would have one of the large ones somewhere as well, but who knows, maybe there is one hidden in the Dorado building or the rocket. It's odd that the backs of the boxes just show a slight variation of what's already on the front of the box and no play features or anything, but oh well. The only really disappointing thing is the duplicate Reaper. I know the one in the Gibraltar set has those "ghost legs", but come on, they could've at least given him a different skin in one of the sets. Aside from that, a nice selection of spot-on minifigs, and that new gun mold is neat, so I can't wait to get all of these sets! Let's hope the theme does well so that we can get another wave with the rest of the characters and maybe even a CMF line!

Given the fact I don't play the game I figured I'd watch some of the shorts to get an idea of it, and I just watched the Dragons short the one the $20 set is based on and honestly they did amazing design wise. They really capture the area, the yawning guy is a nice inclusion given how limited character wise. A very small thing I wish the set included was the guy Hanzo shot in the beginning with the white mask they could of done it with the black panther ears or the Oni-mask from Ninjago S.O.G. just to have 4 figures in it similar to how Ninjago sets of the same size, and design have 5 figures.

Looks like Reaper might have a choice of legs

https://flic.kr/p/2b1K8qg (this link for some reason won’t embed the image but I assure you it’s what I promised)

Looks like Reaper has a choice of legs ?

On 10/24/2018 at 3:13 AM, Oky said:

And some of them seem ridiculously cheap for licensed sets given the part counts!

That’s what I thought, might Blizzard gives licenses at cheaper rates?

Great sets so far in this theme.Really impressive.Can you please answer me, is PEGI-12 for owerwatch - legit? Looks like big guys game:yoda:

6 hours ago, nerdiru said:

Great sets so far in this theme.Really impressive.Can you please answer me, is PEGI-12 for owerwatch - legit? Looks like big guys game:yoda:

Im guessing it is since there’s no swearing or blood (from my understanding - I don’t play it).

44 minutes ago, J4ck said:

Im guessing it is since there’s no swearing or blood (from my understanding - I don’t play it).

Yes it’s legit, and I’d recommend playing it as it’s awesome! Fortnite has the current momentum but Overwatch is so slick and requires real teamwork.

there is actually a bit of blood if you look for it but on the whole it’s not something that will upset kids. 

7 hours ago, Vindice said:

Yes it’s legit, and I’d recommend playing it as it’s awesome! Fortnite has the current momentum but Overwatch is so slick and requires real teamwork.

there is actually a bit of blood if you look for it but on the whole it’s not something that will upset kids. 

Real teamwork? Sounds decent, I might give it a go when I finally buy a gaming PC.

A clear picture of Reaper has leaked. 

I like him, more than I expected (especially since the torso and legs are sufficiently generic to be used in a lot of MOCs) but . . dear god, those leg prints are so lopsided. I really hope that's just a one-off and they won't all be like that. It would ruin Reaper. -.-

That reaper is a custom. It uses the torso and legs from the nick fury in the helicarrier set (https://brickset.com/sets/76042-1/The-SHIELD-Helicarrier). The head is also crossbones from civil war (https://brickset.com/sets/76050-1/Crossbones-Hazard-Heist). The cape just seems to be a generic one that's put on the waist. That's too bad though. The actual figure doesn't seem to even have leg printing.

48 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

the torso and legs are sufficiently generic to be used in a lot of MOCs

33 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

That reaper is a custom.

Oh, the irony... 

Lego just posted a video on IG about a brickbuilt D.Va sculpture. The sculpure is based on the 75973 D.Va & Reinhardt set and it's made for Blizzcon 2018.

Could this mean that at Blizzcon there will be some official set reveal? Maybe could we expect a Lego OW animated short?:excited:

4 hours ago, number42 said:

Lego just posted a video on IG about a brickbuilt D.Va sculpture. The sculpure is based on the 75973 D.Va & Reinhardt set and it's made for Blizzcon 2018.

Could this mean that at Blizzcon there will be some official set reveal? Maybe could we expect a Lego OW animated short?:excited:

I mean yeah it would be cool, but I don't see a LEGO one working as an actual classic cinematic one.

Edited by Ordinareo

The Brothers Brick just posted set descriptions for the Overwatch line, as released at the Blizzard convention.  Apparently the rocket splits in two and the cargo hold in the back is meant for the gorilla bigfig.  No pictures other than the ones that showed up at Target, though.  I'd inferred the rear hold from the pictures, but I can't tell where the joint between the two stages is.  It's a simple play feature, but it's no surprise given the presence of that kind of staging joint in many old Space kits.

Lego seems to have been satisfied with the pre-ordering experiment for the 71043 UCS Hogwarts launch, because they're also accepting pre-orders for the Overwatch line.  Good - a lot of people on the forums have been wanting a pre-order system for a long time.

I'm seeing in the Tracer vs. Widowmaker set that it 'also features a checkpoint disc'. I think that means there'll be another printed orange dish like the one built into the Watchpoint: Gibraltar set included. Awesome! That part looks great and I'll be happy to have a spare. 

On 11/1/2018 at 2:30 PM, Ordinareo said:

I mean yeah it would be cool, but I don't see a LEGO one working as an actual classic cinematic one.

Sometimes the LEGO shorts are most fun when they're just poking good-hearted fun at whatever media they're based on/referencing (like the old LEGO City Undercover Nintendo Direct segment with "LEGO Iwata"… RIP Satoru Iwata :cry_sad:).

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm seeing in the Tracer vs. Widowmaker set that it 'also features a checkpoint disc'. I think that means there'll be another printed orange dish like the one built into the Watchpoint: Gibraltar set included. Awesome! That part looks great and I'll be happy to have a spare. 

Agreed. I had wondered about that from the box art. It looked like the real piece in the Gibraltar set (and looked like it wasn't part of the background), but it isn't shown in the front art or non-box art photo. A little confusing from that, but good to have two of them and it makes sense.

-

It's cool how they included all the correct names for their weapons. I also appreciate that they explicitly say that Bastion transforms through movement, not through rebuilding. There are sets where that is the case, so it is good to have that resolved. I'm hoping we get more angles on the sets, I want to see the other sides of the mechs, Bastion, and the Shuttle.

It's interesting to infer what TLG has to work with when they are writing about Licensed sets. With the Solo sets, the early ones didn't even have the real title, and instead they said "the Han Solo movie", until the second wave had the actual title. The Episode 8 set descriptions were short, vague and had a lot of filler ("Jump into Star Wars: The Last Jedi Action with the new [set]" and the like), which seemed to imply that Lucasfilm was secretive about the finer details, especially story and set context.

For Overwatch, licenser secrecy isn't the obstacle, it is brand familiarity from the buyer. TLG is being very deliberate with the messaging in these descriptions and getting people up-to-speed with what Overwatch is. As we all know, Minecraft is the only other theme they've based directly around a video game. It had the advantage of overlapping more with TLG's primary demographic more closely, and that the sets generally look similar to regular Classic/Creator sets. The Crafting Boxes especially. Even as popular as Overwatch is, there are many people who haven't heard of it. The sets look more like Star Wars or Marvel, and that specificity begs the question "What is this?" from people who have never heard of it. 

There's also a lot of them. Especially when compared to longstanding franchises, this is a big first wave. Episode 7 and 8 each had seven sets in their first waves. Age of Ultron and Infinity War had six. Rogue One and Solo had five. The Hobbit had six, and its sequels each had four. Other big movies like Wonder Woman, Spider-Man Homecoming, and Black Panther got one or two. To someone who hasn't heard of Overwatch to see all these sets come out of nowhere in their Lego Catalog or on Shop at Home, there will be a lot of questions and curiosity that will need to be addressed.

To that end, TLG is being a lot more thorough than usual in order to introduce people to the product. The writing is more repetitive from set-to-set to make sure that any one of them provides the same, sufficient introduction to the entire franchise. These descriptions read like an "elevator pitch" more than they normally would.

We have new, high-quality pictures of the minifig s without all their armour and stuff. I'm pleasantly surprised by Reaper's torso print. It looks great. 

And I don't know why some people are criticising Hanzo. He looks pretty good, especially that new wig part. Same for McCree, though I'm annoyed that his cape covers up most of the details in the picture. 

So just saw all the sets, I know late to the party again. Anyway I am probably the only person on the planet who has never heard of Overwatch nor seen any characters or in game scenes. Having said that, if I didn't know it was Overwatch I would have thought all these sets were some new Ninjago stuff. Am I the only one who sees it like that? 

9 hours ago, Invincible_LEGOMAN said:

Do we know if these are a December 2018 release or January 2019?

Officially January 2019

8 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

So just saw all the sets, I know late to the party again. Anyway I am probably the only person on the planet who has never heard of Overwatch nor seen any characters or in game scenes. Having said that, if I didn't know it was Overwatch I would have thought all these sets were some new Ninjago stuff. Am I the only one who sees it like that? 

Probably haha. Interesting perspective!