leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

I'm a big fan of the game, so I think this is a perfect match. I'm not super into the current sets, but that in part has to do with none of my favourite characters being released in the first wave. I'll probably get the Bastion set, but will wait out until there's Roadhog/Brigitte/Zenyatta before getting any more traditional set.

Looking at the shop@home page for different countries, every single set is available everywhere Jan 1st except Watchpoint: Gibraltar (75975) which reads "Not available in your country" in the following countries: Germany, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Denmark and Spain. This strikes me as odd since there is no real reason or explanation on why this is. I've already sent a mail to Lego about this. I will keep everyone up to date with this and share the information as soon as I can. Here's a screenshot of the text for everyone to think about

image.png.76343c5f5366dc2082735295a9e9c141.png

Edited by Puresh

Okay Lego replied. Here's the text I recieved. Interpret it any way you like:

Dear Mr. *****,

nice to hear from you. It's true, the Overwatch Sets are not yet available in all countries and the pre-order settings are not available on our website yet. Since set 75975 will first be available in the US, you can pre-order it there, unfortunately you still have to be patient. Unfortunately, I can not give you an exact date. I wish you a nice weekend.

" Since set 75975 will first be available in the US"

I guess that all of the sets will be avaible on Jan 1st in Europe too and they've just said this because it's already avaible in the US for preorder, but who knows.

5 hours ago, hachiroku said:

" Since set 75975 will first be available in the US"

I guess that all of the sets will be avaible on Jan 1st in Europe too and they've just said this because it's already avaible in the US for preorder, but who knows.

Yeah this was a bit too vague for me though which is why I got in contact with them again :P

Dear Mr. **********, It's nice to hear from you again. As my colleague told you, the data for the Overwatch sets is slightly different for the US and European countries. But you do not have to worry, the sets will also be available in Germany. The text on the shop website has also changed ever since and the set is available from 01.01.2019 and you can then order this as normal. Have a nice Sunday.

Strangely enough the text on the website is still there (for me at least) but I think this is a good confirmation we'll get it here too :thumbup:

Last night, I was all set to fire up Studio and start building a rover and Moonbase to go with the Watchpoint Gibraltar rocket, but then I googled "overwatch moonbase" and found out that Overwatch already has a lunar map with many rooms and several rovers.  Those of you who play Overwatch regularly, what do you think of the Horizon Lunar Colony map?  Is it important enough in the Overwatch community that we might get a rover, room, or base from that map if there's a second wave of Overwatch sets?  @Digger of Bricks used the fanciful style of the upcoming Sky Police airplanes as a prompt to reiterate (in jest) his hope that a Lunar or Martian theme could somehow be made under the City banner; what are the chances of something resembling a Lunar or Martian theme under the Overwatch banner?

3 hours ago, icm said:

Last night, I was all set to fire up Studio and start building a rover and Moonbase to go with the Watchpoint Gibraltar rocket, but then I googled "overwatch moonbase" and found out that Overwatch already has a lunar map with many rooms and several rovers.  Those of you who play Overwatch regularly, what do you think of the Horizon Lunar Colony map?  Is it important enough in the Overwatch community that we might get a rover, room, or base from that map if there's a second wave of Overwatch sets?  @Digger of Bricks used the fanciful style of the upcoming Sky Police airplanes as a prompt to reiterate (in jest) his hope that a Lunar or Martian theme could somehow be made under the City banner; what are the chances of something resembling a Lunar or Martian theme under the Overwatch banner?

Well, most of the game takes place on Earth and there are no Martians as far as we're aware, so a whole subtheme is unlikely, but both Winston and Wrecking Ball originated from that moon base, so it's important enough to warrant at least one set based on that map. It could come with Wrecking Ball and a launch mechanism for his mech (even though Hammond didn't become Wrecking Ball until he landed on Earth). If they base the set on the final checkpoint, it could also contain a rover.

1 hour ago, Oky said:

Well, most of the game takes place on Earth and there are no Martians as far as we're aware, so a whole subtheme is unlikely, but both Winston and Wrecking Ball originated from that moon base, so it's important enough to warrant at least one set based on that map. It could come with Wrecking Ball and a launch mechanism for his mech (even though Hammond didn't become Wrecking Ball until he landed on Earth). If they base the set on the final checkpoint, it could also contain a rover.

Wrecking Ball is one of my favourite heroes. 

If they made that set, I'd buy it. 

(Hint, hint, Lego?)

6 hours ago, icm said:

Since TLG appears to be leaning into the animated shorts, Horizon Lunar Colony has good odds, because it's one of the settings of the Recall short. As Oky mentioned, it's also the origin of two of the heroes in the game, and has a lot of story behind it.

The maps featured in the shorts (locations that are already appearing in sets are in bold):
Recall: Watchpoint Gibraltar (x2), Horizon Lunar Colony
Alive: King's Row
Dragons: Hanamura
Hero: Dorado
The Last Bastion: German wilderness (technically the Black Forest map, though its particular area isn't seen)
Infiltration: Volskaya Industries
Junkertown: The Plan : Not a traditional animated short like others, but I'll put it here, too: Junkertown
Rise and Shine: Ecopoint: Antarctica 
Honor and Glory: Eichenwalde
Shooting Star: Busan (MEKA Base, specifically)
Reunion: Route 66

So far, TLG has focused on the game's earlier content by basing the sets on launch heroes, launch maps, and the earlier shorts. By that measure, I think Horizon has a particularly good chance. Space-themed sets are also one of Lego's specialties. I've said it before, but Volskaya Industries and Junkertown would be good candidates as well. The former to introduce both Zarya and Sombra, and the latter to introduce Junkrat and Roadhog (and even Wrecking Ball).

On the one hand, I'd expect Route 66 to be likely, as it would give them an excuse to reuse the existing McCree figure and also introduce figures of Ashe and hopefully B.O.B. and Echo too. But on the other that's the most recent short and I highly doubt Overwatch gave Lego confidential information on their releases as early a story they would have needed to for a set like that to be made. I won't rule it out, but I doubt we'd see a Route 66 set until 2020 (assuming Overwatch continues into 2020, which hopefully it will).

I don't think a Busan set is likely, both because Shooting Star is the second most recent short and because they already made one D.Va Set, and any Busan Set would inevitably include a repeat of her and her mech. And TLG knows that people who bought the D.Va/Reinhardt set won't want to shell out for a near-identical D.Va mech in a second set. Same for an Eichenwalde set, though, that said, since it's likely the only way we'd get Brigitte I won't rule it out. 

The Gibraltar Tracer vs. Widowmaker set kind of covers 'Alive', and I doubt they'd put the same two characters in another set. 

Which leads me to the three I think we are most likely to see in a summer wave; Ecopoint: Antarctica, Junkertown, and Volskaya Industries. Antarctica could be represented by a small set including Mei with Snowball, and maybe one villain, perhaps a repeat of Widowmaker (or if we're super lucky a Moira or Doomfist). Junkertown could be a medium-sized set including Roadhog and Junkrat, and if we're lucky Wrecking Ball/Hammond too. And then Volskaya Industries would be the next big one, introducing minifigs for Sombra and Zarya, as well as a repeat of Reaper and/or Widowmaker, and possibly that Russian bigwig whose name I forget. That's my prediction for the summer wave; three sets, one Antarctica, one Junkertown, one Volskaya.

I like the idea of a Horizon Colony set, but the only heroes who have any real connection to it are Winston and Wrecking Ball. And Winston's already appearing in a Gibraltar set, and Wrecking Ball could be much more easily placed in a Junkertown set, which would also give them a chance to include Junkrat and Doomfist, as mentioned before. So I think the designers will feel the same as me on this count; Horizon would be fun but there are better options. 

I could definitely see Horizon being made under the same fifteen-dollar range as TvW; coming with a buildable Wrecking Ball mech and a Reaper to battle with or something of the sort.

One observation I've made is that all characters in the upcoming sets are ogc haracters that were available on launch of the game. I'm wondering if there is a second wave, will this have more focus on those characters that were added after the game launch. A junkertown set could see junkrat, roadhog and wrecking ball all released together. 

So, bad news, everyone. 

There's a 'hands on' video going around YouTube - I won't post it here because I'm not sure whether it constitutes a leak or not - and it's confirmed that Genji has no face print, it's a plain silver head under that admittedly awesome helmet. 

Yeah, the Genji vs. Hanzo set is at the bottom of my priority list now. Neither Genji's character nor his minifig particularly interest me, and Hanzo . . eeeeeeeeh. 

Doesn't hurt my feelings at all, the skin this variant is based on doesn't show his face at all (except in the animated short, but that's just a few seconds and barely anything is visible). If I really needed a face underneath, there's a good assortment of existing pieces that would meet that need. Nice video though.

Glad to see that D.va has such good articulation, looks like a very hearty construction. It's nice to have the hatch in the back as well, I'm impressed with the space in the cockpit, very surprising.

Good grief, Bastion is overbuilt, he's just so gigantic. The scale really deters me from buying him.

Mercy and Pharah are really well designed. Pharah's face is excellent and the helmet piece is amazing. Mercy's face seems to have that fading look that happens when flesh is printed on dark colors. It's forgivable though, given how good it turned out overall.

Seeing them in the flesh (rather than renders) really makes them look so much better. There's an impressive amount of detail in these sets. Hopefully we get another wave. With as good as this one turned out, it makes me desperate for more.

Edited by strangely

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

So, bad news, everyone. 

There's a 'hands on' video going around YouTube - I won't post it here because I'm not sure whether it constitutes a leak or not - and it's confirmed that Genji has no face print, it's a plain silver head under that admittedly awesome helmet. 

Yeah, the Genji vs. Hanzo set is at the bottom of my priority list now. Neither Genji's character nor his minifig particularly interest me, and Hanzo . . eeeeeeeeh. 

If the video you are referring to is the one i'm thinking of, then it shouldn't be a leak. Was it a video showing off the sets hands on at the official reveal event at Blizzcon?

15 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

If the video you are referring to is the one i'm thinking of, then it shouldn't be a leak. Was it a video showing off the sets hands on at the official reveal event at Blizzcon?

Yep. 

On 9/19/2018 at 5:32 AM, GregD said:

I'm very excited for these sets!

I'd never heard of Overwatch, was intrigued with the Lego announcement… so 3 weeks ago I bought a secondhand xBox and went for the free Overwatch trial.  Bought it after the trial and now I'm really enjoying playing and getting better – but there’s a long way to go!  Really like the multi-player and teamwork aspect, and how slick the game works.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who sometimes discovers movies / shows / games / whatever because of their LEGO themes... :look: :blush:

The box designs are pretty interesting. It looks almost like the backs are alternative fronts, with all the same info (piece count, age range, etc.).

By the way, has anyone figured out what the unfolded shape of the new Reaper cape will look like? It sort of has a rather cool trenchcoat look to it. :smug:

75972_alt3.jpg

For all of of you guys who preordered in the States, do you think they will send the Overwatch sets off a bit early? I've had that happen to me before with other sets on pre-order, but just was curious if it's happened to anyone else.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:22 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

By the way, has anyone figured out what the unfolded shape of the new Reaper cape will look like? It sort of has a rather cool trenchcoat look to it. :smug:

Here's a good look at least of the cape from a rear view, thanks to @tormentalous:

LEGO Overwatch Dorado Showdown (75972)