leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

Hey, I just noticed; Pharah is using recoloured blue Nexo Knights armour. That's certainly innovative. 

I'm disappointed that they used plain, white Chima wings for Mercy, though . . might have to work on creating some brick-built ones that are better. 

Also, does anyone's who plays the game know which map the set with 76 and McCree is based on? I think it's King's Row, but can someone corroborate?

Okay, after scrutinising the box arts, I've come up with a list of names!

75970: Tracer vs. Widowmaker

75971: Hanzo vs. Genji

75972: Dorado Showdown

75973: D.Va & Reinhardt

75974: Bastion

75975: Watchpoint: Gibraltar

. . . . Wow, those are some boring names. 

14 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Also, does anyone's who plays the game know which map the set with 76 and McCree is based on? I think it's King's Row, but can someone corroborate?

It's Dorado, specifically the choke point right before the first checkpoint.

On May 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Kintobor said:

I can also imagine most of the kits being based off of various choke points in stages. Dorado has a nice chokepoint before the first checkpoint with the fountain plaza that'd make a fun set if it included the truck/payload. 

Called it! :laugh:

These sets look pretty solid. I'm a little disappointed that Eichenwalde wasn't the big set of the wave, but hopefully we see it later in a larger set to do the castle justice. I'm a little shocked at how prominent Watchpoint: Gibraltar is, as the Tracer and Widowmaker kit is the payload for the map, and the actual Watchpoint: Gibraltar set is the map's final payload stop.

Gotta say, I'm impressed with the D.Va mech. It's colour looks great, the size is excellent, and the D.Va figure seems to have one side winking and grinning and the other chewing bubblegum. :rofl: Awesome! Love it!

I'm also in love with the Mercy figure. :wub: As someone who used to play a lot as Mercy, Lego really did the character justice, and I'm also happy that Pharah comes in the same set. A common tactic in the game is to pit Mercy and Pharah together since their abilities compliment each other nicely, and the tag-team is affectionately called "Pharmercy, a take on the word pharmacy.

The Bastion model is a nice surprise. It's not my cup of tea, but I know some people out there are going to enjoy it.

If I had one complaint, it's the lack of a few characters that I was hoping would show up, namely Lucio, Roadhog, Junkrat, and Zarya. It's not the end of the world, and hopefully these sets sell well enough that Lego and Blizzard work on another wave so we can get at least the original cast of heroes as minifigures.

I'm pretty excited for this theme, honestly! :sweet: If anything hopefully this theme's success will give Lego some renewed vigour and try and work a deal with a certain well known Japanese video-game developer to try and get a Legend of Zelda kit produced. Please? :blush:

D.va and Meka are easily my favorite part of the wave. I was terrified that the scale for Meka would be completely oversized, but it turned out better than I thought it would. I wish it were slightly shorter, but all in all, it turned out pretty well.

Windowmaker Vs. Tracer is my second part of the wave. For the price point, it's just a very fulfilling set and the minifigures are great (wish Tracer had some white shoe printing, but otherwise spot on).

I'm pleased that locations like Dorado and Gibraltar were pretty well represented and that kept very true to the look of the game. They did particularly well with the color palette, very striking.

All in all, a good first wave. But I will say, this theme cannot end until I get Junkrat and Mei (my two mains).

I haven't played the game and only recognize Winston and Tracer, but, despite reservations when the Overwatch sets were announced, I have to say any number of them appeal, especially the mechs and the space ships.

It just seems a shame, IMO, that LEGO needs to add yet another license to make a space ship this nice.  Alas, the game has a lot of appeal, so I get it from a merchandising POV. I hope they sell well, as it seems to tap into two of my favorite things: space and mecha.

Ok, at the moment I have not played the Overwatch video game. But even with that in mind I like these sets. Tracer Vs. Widowmaker has some great minifigures for such a small price. I am sure this will become a big seller. Hanzo Vs. Gengi also has some great minifigures and even a fun little side build, lots of Ninjago vibes. Dorado Showdown might be my favorite. I just noticed the price per piece ratio and that is a great deal. I think the vehicle is fantastic, though the back could have more detail, the front part still looks great and looks like something out of Back To The Future Part II. The building is not too shabby either. Mechs and robots is easy skip, not my thing. As a fan of old Lego Space I love the Watchpoint set. I think Winston is the gorillas name and he is my favorite figure of the wave. The tower looks great and the ship itself has some great detail. Reminds me a lot of the Javelin from DC. Hopeful has some nice interior. Overall very impressed. Dorado and Watchpoint are my favorites, I will have too see the rest of 2019 first waves sets to decide if I will buy any. Hopefully we get more Video Game based themes in the future. I would love Zelda and Mario sets, even if there not likely.

40 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Called it! :laugh:

I'm also in love with the Mercy figure. :wub: As someone who used to play a lot as Mercy, Lego really did the character justice, and I'm also happy that Pharah comes in the same set. A common tactic in the game is to pit Mercy and Pharah together since their abilities compliment each other nicely, and the tag-team is affectionately called "Pharmercy, a take on the word pharmacy.

If I had one complaint, it's the lack of a few characters that I was hoping would show up, namely Lucio, Roadhog, Junkrat, and Zarya. It's not the end of the world, and hopefully these sets sell well enough that Lego and Blizzard work on another wave so we can get at least the original cast of heroes as minifigures.

Nice work. XD 

Mercy is pretty great, but I'm disappointed about her wings. Probably going to try creating some brick-built replacements. Those old Chima style wings are designed to look organic and feathery, They're mostly white too, whereas I can see from the pictures they're really more yellow. Yeah, definitely gonna change those on mine. Top-notch prints and wig, though. ^^

I was hoping for Junkrat, Roadhog and Sombra, too. I wish they'd replaced one of the Reapers with a Sombra minifig - we were this close to having a whole wave with not a single repeated minifig. 

Here's hoping that Sombra, at least, will pop up in Wave 2. Lucio would be good, too. 

Does Winston (the big figure) have posable legs / on a hinge or is that just the way the picture was taken?

Edited by Kevii23

I'm surprised seeing these sets that the prices are actually reasonable. That will be good for fans. I'm not really an Overwatch fan, but I'm glad Lego is doing a good job with these sets. I wonder if we'll be seeing a CMF line with other characters, or maybe special skins. I'd also kind of like to see other heroes in scale with that Bastion.

2 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

Does Winston (the big figure) have posable legs / on a hinge or is that just the way the picture was taken?

The figure is probably just moulded with a hunch, but I'm not too sure. Winston seems to lean farther forward in some photos than others :sceptic:... 

Loving the dva and reinhart mechs. Especially the pink one. I think i might buy that set. Also i’ll buy the widowmaker set. 

I think these sets look very good and  very cohesive with lego brands like ninjago and superheroes. I had my doubts at first but they have proven me wrong. Nice job! 

I think Bastion looks great as well, but if they had given him a new bird mould a la seagull instead of a brick build bird, my guess is that more people would buy it since the set has no minifigures in it. 

By the way i am really happy with the rollercoaster pieces, very reusable. That sidebuild with the shuttle looks nice. 

Btw if you want an Odin? Just use a Thor body and Reinharts head/hair

Mainly looking forward to buying Bastion and Watchpoint: Gibraltar, all the red pieces for that launchpad is just perfect.

4 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

Looking at the box art, I believe Winston could be posable.

I am so excited for these. They have a too-good-to-be true feeling about them, but here they are. It seems that the "Assemble Your Team" teaser was deliberately hinting at Hanamura, Gibraltar, and Dorado, as I had seen some suggest.

D.Va and Reinhardt: They knocked the D.Va out of the park. Scale is slightly large, but it fits a minifig and is still a reasonable size. Rein looks good, even if he's oversized, but his proportions do look right. A technic axle would have been a stronger choice for the shaft of the hammer, I think. This set is kind of an unusual concept. I would have guessed they would have put either of them in a set with other characters and objects, but instead, this set is both of them with nothing else. 

Bastion: This is unexpected, but very cool. I am a little sad that it lowers the overall minifig roster potential, but it looks awesome and is an enticing buy. It probably looks nice on a shelf next to the UCS Hulkbuster. It seems there's a light brick in his head that changes his eye color to "attack mode" like in "The Last Bastion". Nice touch. It remains unclear if TLG considers the Blizzard Exclusive Omnic Bastion set to be minifig scale. Characters like Adult Groot or now Reinhardt are bigger than they should be, but are treated as minifig scale. If that is how they intend Bastion, we may see the Exclusive adapted to a Classic skin version in the future.

Watchpoint: Gibraltar: The Gibraltar shuttle makes a lot of sense as the subject of a Lego set. The build seems pretty well done. I'm not familiar with those white wedge pieces that make up the fuselage, have they been seen before? Winston as a big-fig seemed like the likely approach. He looks better than I expected, since they added a lot of his details in there. In two of the photos, Reaper appears to have the "Ghost Legs" like the new Death Eaters, which approximates his Wraith Form ability. They have Mercy and Pharah running the "Pharmercy" tactic, which I'm sure fans will notice and enjoy. I'm hyped that Pharah made it, as she is my Damage hero of choice. Her helmet looks so good. 

Dorado Showdown: This set seems to succeed at the intended idea quite well. I was just now playing a match in Dorado (trying to concentrate knowing there were set images to dissect), and the truck looks exactly right. The structures are an unexpected inclusion for such a set. Reaper's shotguns seem to be the best of the brickbuilt weapons. A higher hairline piece for Soldier: 76 would have been a better fit, Tobias Beckett's perhaps, but in white.

Hanzo vs. Genji: This set has some of my favorite box art of all time. That poor guy. It seems to have little disc shooters for each of their Ults, with corresponding blue and green dragons. The build follows similar beats to Ninjago sets we've seen recently, like this year's Throne Room Showdown, though this set has more aesthetic restraint. Small healthpack makes an appearance. The inclusion of the third character indicates that they are open to including non-heroes. Minifigs of Talon or Overwatch foot soldiers, or some of the other animated short characters are now a possibility.

Tracer vs. Widowmaker: Back in the days of speculation, I (like others) had thought that the Gibraltar payload had a good chance of making it into a set. A little spaceship just seemed like Lego would target it as set material. Getting Tracer into a low-pricepoint set was a must, and payloads make ideal sized builds for sets of that size. Widow's rifle doesn't have much of a resemblance to the in-game article, but could easily be replaced with something that does. I'm a sucker for sets that are meant to work together with each other, so this set and Watchpoint: Gibraltar get extra points for that.

- Particularly surprising is the revival of the 1x2x3 train window in white. That one of the rare pieces needed when Bricklinking the Green Grocer. They start just below $2 apiece on BL and climb from there, and the set calls for four of them. A piece like that being brought back in such a small set this is good news for people taking on the Modular back catalog (such as myself). -

So the grand total then is:
Heroes 12:

D.va, Genji, Hanzo, McCree, Mercy, Pharah, Reaper (twice), Reinhardt, Soldier: 76, Tracer, Widowmaker, Winston

Not Included (of the launch heroes): 9

Bastion (minifig scale), Junkrat, Lucio, Mei, Roadhog, Symmetra, Torbjorn, Zarya, Zenyatta

None of the 7 post-launch heroes were included.

The Animated Shorts seem to play a significant role for locations and minifigs/minifig pairings. Hanzo vs. Genji is the most obvious of them; based directly on "Dragons" right down to the inclusion one of the nameless henchman from the short. Bastion's box art places him in Germany, like "The Last Bastion". Soldier: 76 starred in "Hero" and therefore is in Dorado Showdown. Winston and Reaper fought in "Recall" (at Watchpoint: Gibraltar no less) and both appear together in the Watchpoint: Gibraltar set. Tracer and Widowmaker fought at King's Row in "Alive", which is adapted to a Gibraltar-themed set. Collectively, the two Gibraltar sets include Tracer, Winston, Reaper and Widowmaker, the four heroes seen in the original announcement trailer. D.va and Reinhardt seems to be the only real wildcard here. They have each had their own Animated Short, but their set doesn't have to do with those, especially since the box art depicts Numbani and King's Row.

With the characters that are still left, there are some lore-based groupings that would work for later sets. Junkrat and Roadhog are the most obvious, with a Junkertown set based on the "The Plan" short seeming very possible for Wave 2. Sombra vs. Zarya (ala the "Infiltration" short's ending). Orisa vs. Doomfist. Lucio vs. Symmetra. Torbjorn and Brigitte and/or Bastion.

Looking forward to these!

The box arts look very cgi to me, almost fake, much like the spongebob and avatar boxarts from back in the day, maybe that’s an aesthetic choice due to the video game nature?

anyway, I have zero interest in the game, but as I predicted, there’s plenty of great builds and minifig parts that can be implemented elsewhere. Love the mechs

Thanks to @Digger of Bricks for mentioning me and attracting my attention to this thread. However, in actuality, I'm partial to the Dorado Showdown set with the hover truck and street vendor backdrop for my Space Police IV theme and related space-ships.

I find weird that we will have only two villains, but except that, I'm really happy with the sets. Even with the "UCS" Bastion (I wasn't expecting something like that).

7 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

December 2018

A couple of months from now, that is

Ah. That's very good news for me.

Anyway, I'll definitely pick up the Reinhardt/D.Va set; maybe Dorado as well. Still holding out for a Junkrat&Roadhog set, though...

15 hours ago, saysonder said:

These sets look great for the most part. All of the mini figures are gorgeous. Loving all the new hair pieces. Hope we get Mei in the wishful second wave.

I'm not sure about that, Lego rarely releases figures based on the devil :tongue:

Anyway I love the sets. Kinda disappointed with the huge Bastion since I rather have minifigure scaled sets, but he still looks cool. I'm so happy they included my main (Pharah) I think she looks awesome. Although I think they better represented watchpoint Gibraltar with Winston's lab.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the Tracer vs Widowmaker the first  (licensed) set to only include female characters? That's a pretty big deal.

I'm kinda missing Roadhog, he would translate extremely well into a bigfig + a short leg Torbjörn with a turret to place onto the payload xD.

I like it how they made 12 different hero minifigures, which would be enough to create 2 full teams of players into the game. Only problem is the lag of healer characters, there's only Mercy (well soldier 76 kinda heals, but he's more of a damage character). We have 3 tanks  (Winston, D.Va and Reinhardt) 8 damage heroes and 1 healer. While most teams have 2 tanks, 2 healers and 2 damage heroes, so we're kinda missing 3 healers and 1 tank. But that's just me nitpicking.

Overall the sets look great and they are exactly what I hoped for. They couldn't have done the D.Va mech any better and while Reinhardt is a little oversized, at least he does have a regular sized figure inside to compensate. I love them and these gotta be a day 1 buy (well I'm skipping Bastion to save money)

While I don't play Overwatch. I do enjoy the animated shorts and these sets. I'm going to get the Bastion set

One thing I noticed. Mercy's face seems to be printed on a black head. I hope this won't be another Lady Iron Dragon incident.