leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

5 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

This is indeed a strange marketing strategy, I hope this isn't going to work against them since I want this theme to be around for a little while  (although let's be honest, I think nobody sees this theme getting more than 2 waves)

Actually this has potential to go way longer because of the universe Overwatch takes place. There'd possible be elements that makes the sets interesting for non-Overwatch Lego fans as well.

But of course, it has to sell. We will have to wait and see.

3 minutes ago, Dharkan said:

Actually this has potential to go way longer because of the universe Overwatch takes place. There'd possible be elements that makes the sets interesting for non-Overwatch Lego fans as well.

But of course, it has to sell. We will have to wait and see.

Yep. I know a friend who isn't into Lego at all but, when I told him about it, expressed interest in getting the sets because Overwatch. 

So I think there'll be several who are in the same boat. 

i see overwatch being around for a good while, because no matter what they do, theres something for everyone in the game. you want apocalypse stuff? western? Asian temples? high tech cities? industrial bases? hover-limos? giant robots? castles? huge flying ships? all of that is available in the game, and all of it has minifigs to go with. every wave could conceivably include new versions of any character they want, since every character has a ton of skins for different environments, and the game has a huge fan community and is an extremely popular e-sport. there' tons of stuff in there for people who love Lego, people who love over watch, and people with a casual interest in either. plus, for people who dont really collect lego or play overwatch but enjoy building things, this theme will introduce a ton of new minifig parts and accessories.

24 minutes ago, mrfang2 said:

i see overwatch being around for a good while, because no matter what they do, theres something for everyone in the game. you want apocalypse stuff? western? Asian temples? high tech cities? industrial bases? hover-limos? giant robots? castles? huge flying ships? all of that is available in the game, and all of it has minifigs to go with. every wave could conceivably include new versions of any character they want, since every character has a ton of skins for different environments, and the game has a huge fan community and is an extremely popular e-sport. there' tons of stuff in there for people who love Lego, people who love over watch, and people with a casual interest in either. plus, for people who dont really collect lego or play overwatch but enjoy building things, this theme will introduce a ton of new minifig parts and accessories.

Exactly what I meant. Thanks for explaining it in a clear way. 

1 hour ago, mrfang2 said:

How long Overwatch lasts depends on sales, not the amount of material in the game that could become sets. I don't how long it will last, but we'll have a much better idea of how well it is doing after the sets come out. 

I certainly hope we get all the different champions in the game, not just the most popular ones. And maybe a good idea to get some of the figures with skins is a CMF line. There are what, 28 champs in the game? Make a few CMF lines with themed skins and you are good. Like around christmas have a line with some of the wintergames/christmas skins. In the summer some of the beach skins. I think that could work. 

9 hours ago, Alfadas said:

I certainly hope we get all the different champions in the game, not just the most popular ones. And maybe a good idea to get some of the figures with skins is a CMF line. There are what, 28 champs in the game? Make a few CMF lines with themed skins and you are good. Like around christmas have a line with some of the wintergames/christmas skins. In the summer some of the beach skins. I think that could work. 

YES! :grin: 

This is exactly the thought I had when TLG first revealed the partnership.   There are so many varied and superb skins for the characters, some of which are insanely popular, such as Strike Commander Morrison, Captain Amari, and Huntress Widowmaker, Lego would be stupid for not doing at least one CMF line, preferably more.

I also see the overall theme lasting for at least two waves, maybe more, because Overwatch is extremely popular, as other commenters have said, plus the pieces and some of the minifigs will be appealing to non-Overwatch fans, and thus will hopefully drive the demand for more sets up.

Edited by Sci-FiFleetAdmiral

Other point is that Overwatch has a really big community outside the game. The game at this moment isn't very popular, not at the level of Fortnite for example, but it's 2/3 years old and it's always in the Top10 of Twitch. All of my friends are very interested in the Lego sets, even when they aren't Lego fans or even aren't playing the game at this moment.

I don't know, I'm trying to compare this with the Fortnite license. I think the Overwatch license will be better in the long run. Overwatch has its own identity, the characters and the maps are visually outstanding. They could do a tv show and it would be succesful. Fortnite will be gone as soon as a better game appears, like what happened with PUBG.

But I'm an Overwatch fanboy, I think I'm very biased here :laugh:

I expect the sets to be very close to the "canon". Basically, Talon vs Overwatch, and Junkrat+Rodadhog's bike vs D.Va? or even Hammond.

3 hours ago, hachiroku said:

Other point is that Overwatch has a really big community outside the game. The game at this moment isn't very popular, not at the level of Fortnite for example, but it's 2/3 years old and it's always in the Top10 of Twitch. All of my friends are very interested in the Lego sets, even when they aren't Lego fans or even aren't playing the game at this moment.

I don't know, I'm trying to compare this with the Fortnite license. I think the Overwatch license will be better in the long run. Overwatch has its own identity, the characters and the maps are visually outstanding. They could do a tv show and it would be succesful. Fortnite will be gone as soon as a better game appears, like what happened with PUBG.

But I'm an Overwatch fanboy, I think I'm very biased here :laugh:

I expect the sets to be very close to the "canon". Basically, Talon vs Overwatch, and Junkrat+Rodadhog's bike vs D.Va? or even Hammond.

Overwatch have an E-league now.  So its pretty popular.  Fortnite is popular I know you are trying to compare but I doubt lego will go for fortnite since they have Overwatch.  I think Overwatch is better graphically.  Fortnite will fade like pokeman go.  But time will tell we will see if either Fortnite or Overwatch has the staying power of a WOW, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, Halo, Etc.  

I loved the game but the community in-game, especially in bronze where I'm stuck, is so toxic. "ooh we are losing let's leave the game" even though we can still very much win, 6v6. 6v5 or 6v4 is not winnable... And always the Hanzo main who does nothing but miss every shot. Anyway, not sure if it's any better at higher ranks. If it is I might try to get out of bronze even though playing it makes me want to pull my hair out in frustration. Still like the champs a lot and I watch quite a few youtubers doing videos of Overwatch. So I am really looking forward to seeing the sets. 

But is Overwatch popular enough to have a CMF line? :oh:

Because I've never heard of it until the LEGO rumors started. But I live under a rock and maybe it's just me. 

But look at the brands in the licensed CMFs so far: Harry Potter, Batman, Disney and Simpsons

Those are really big names. Like for real: themed parks, movies, videogames, TV shows, etc.

Is Overwatch at the same level of those? 

2 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Because I've never heard of it until the LEGO rumors started. But I live under a rock and maybe it's just me. 

But look at the brands in the licensed CMFs so far: Harry Potter, Batman, Disney and Simpsons

Those are really big names. Like for real: themed parks, movies, videogames, TV shows, etc.

Is Overwatch at the same level of those? 

Yep, this is pretty much the main reason that I don't think there'll be an Overwatch CMF. 

I'm not denying the potential. But I don't think Lego would take a chance like that on a relatively obscure IP like Overwatch. 

Of course, say, as a hypothetical, that this is just the start of a beautiful friendship between Blizzard and Lego. And they later come out with more sets based on things like World of Warcraft, while maintaining the Overwatch line for a couple of years to come. Then we could expect to see a 'Blizzard CMF' which Overwatch would play a role in. 

But with the Lego Movie 2 coming out and the inevitable CMF line associated with that? I think Lego's hands are full for some time. We shouldn't get our hopes up. 

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Irregardless of its popularity, I think Lego wouldn't do a CMS for this franchise since many of its characters can be easily shoehorned into playsets, much like with the DC and Marvel Super Heroes themes.

11 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Overwatch have an E-league now.  So its pretty popular.  Fortnite is popular I know you are trying to compare but I doubt lego will go for fortnite since they have Overwatch.  I think Overwatch is better graphically.  Fortnite will fade like pokeman go.  But time will tell we will see if either Fortnite or Overwatch has the staying power of a WOW, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, Halo, Etc.  

This is basically what I said xd

6 hours ago, Alfadas said:

I loved the game but the community in-game, especially in bronze where I'm stuck, is so toxic. "ooh we are losing let's leave the game" even though we can still very much win, 6v6. 6v5 or 6v4 is not winnable... And always the Hanzo main who does nothing but miss every shot. Anyway, not sure if it's any better at higher ranks. If it is I might try to get out of bronze even though playing it makes me want to pull my hair out in frustration. Still like the champs a lot and I watch quite a few youtubers doing videos of Overwatch. So I am really looking forward to seeing the sets. 

Nah, it's toxic even in Master, probably even worse because people take the game more seriously. The competitive mode is broken from the base. You just can't put an individual rank on a team based game.

The best thing they could do for Overwatch would be more cooperative modes, like Uprising and Retribution. The game can work really well with that L4D2 style.

By the way, Hanzo is really good at this moment, even in bronze. But if you want to get out of it quick, play Brigitte (I haven't played this month, but I doubt they changed the game too much).

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It could be, but it would be very limited. The game has a lot of different skins for the characters, but I can't see a CMF series based on that.

A Blizzard CMF line like Feng said is more viable (if they keep working with Blizzard).

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

But is Overwatch popular enough to have a CMF line:oh:

I'd highly doubt it.

Even with the CMF line branching out more frequently, the series we've had are still massive franchises. The only non-Lego franchises we've had are Disney and Harry Potter (excluding the very limited sports waves). The rest have all tied into the Lego movies (Lego Movie, Lego Batman Movie, Lego Ninjago Movie). Disney and Harry Potter are absolutely huge, and certainly more popular than Overwatch in terms of the merchandising possibilities. 

Realistically, Overwatch simply isn't popular enough to warrant one of the few CMF slots available. We already know that next year will have a Lego Movie series. I wouldn't expect them to then release a CMF series from an untested and unproven theme. 

While I think Overwatch is decently popular, I just don't see a CMF without a movie or TV show to tie it to. Even the Harry Potter CMF is timed to a new movie release (even though it really didn't need to be).

Plus, Overwatch skins don't quite work as a CMF to me. Many of them are themed to holidays and events, the skins would be better suited to seasonal sets or polybags.

3 hours ago, hachiroku said:

Nah, it's toxic even in Master, probably even worse because people take the game more seriously. The competitive mode is broken from the base. You just can't put an individual rank on a team based game.

The best thing they could do for Overwatch would be more cooperative modes, like Uprising and Retribution. The game can work really well with that L4D2 style.

By the way, Hanzo is really good at this moment, even in bronze. But if you want to get out of it quick, play Brigitte (I haven't played this month, but I doubt they changed the game too much).

Shame. First season I played I got in gold, won a lot, it was a nice time. But after some bad luck, like 10 games in a row we had a leaver/leavers, people just not picking tank or support (support main here btw, lucio and mercy) and I ended up in bronze. I got gold damage and objective time most of my matches, otherwise at least bronze. but no. still end up with a low rank. 

I did play the Uprising event quite a bit. Retribution not so much. I loved it. Only 4 people so not as much toxicity. 

Not sure about Hanzo. I played him quite a bit in arcade, the Total Mayhem mode, just spamming scatter. Not played him in Normals or Ranked. But I might try to get some friends back into Overwatch and get out of Bronze :) 

The only reason I can see a CMF series being made for Overwatch are the skins, but I highly doubt they will focus on that aspect of Overwatch. The sets are probably enough to get every hero that's currently in the game in about 2 waves (except for the characters that were added into the game too recently for LEGO to have time translating that character into a lego figure like Wrecking Ball).

Guys, don't forget the fact that there'll be many duplicate minifigures on sets, at least for the popular characters.

1 hour ago, Dharkan said:

Guys, don't forget the fact that there'll be many duplicate minifigures on sets, at least for the popular characters.

Yeah, I'm expecting Tracer to appear in at least 2 or 3 of the sets, at least that could be an opportunity to do different figs for different skins? Like a Slipstream or Posh figure?

Never played Overwatch nor do I know anything about the game or characters, but if there’s a good variety of buildings, especially oriental temples, I would totally purchase some or all  them regardless of my lack of Overwatch knowledge.

17 hours ago, Dharkan said:

Tbh I'm not sure about that, that's mostly the case with main characters that are unmissable in the scene a set is based on (a Harry Potter, Batman, Luken Skywalker etc) this is not the case with overwatch. There isn't any particular main character  (although tracer is kinda the mascotte) and there aren't any scenes, just locations (maps) with gamemodes and a random selection of characters. Ofcourse they have the short cinematic videos and comics and stuff but I doubt they'll focus on this. Ofcourse one could argue that they might be based on the event gamemodes like the uprising event but these are just temporary gamemodes new players can't even play with lesser known/obscure versions of locations and characters  (skins).

While it may not be as necessary to include certain characters with certain sets as it is with other licenses, I also don't think that they would just stick any random characters in each set. Like Hachiroku, I believe that they will draw inspiration from the lore to design the sets. Every location is tied to the origins of one or more characters, so it would seem reasonable to include those heroes in the set that is based on that location and perhaps even have them fight villains that appeared in that location in one of the shorts/comics. Otherwise the sets will just feel cobbled together (which would be more accurate to the experience of playing the game, but not as appealing in terms of set design) and would alienate Overwatch fans who would want the sets to be accurate to the lore.

However, that doesn't mean that we won't see duplicates of some characters. I wouldn't be surprised if we get duplicates of some of the more prominent/popular characters like Tracer in the sets, likely with different skins to fit into the context of the set and to entice people to collect all versions of the figs. Although I hope that won't be the case since there are so many characters to choose from that we probably won't get them all in the first wave, even if there aren't any duplicates. They might just focus on the classic characters for the first wave and save some of the more recently added characters for later sets if there is another wave.

Since at least in-game Overwatch isn't focused on vehicles, but locations, I do hope a focus on locations/structures/scenes here as well.

Yes we see giant mechs and armored vehicles as static objects or in the background story, but I do hope a focus on the actual in-game characters/levels instead.

Even if it's going to be a Hero vs Villain theme, I still hope vehicles/giant mechs won't be the main focus. 

As for skins/multiples, I hope it's just 1 original version of each first.

And if they really go for story focused, it will be more complicated since heroes ages/uniform and even appearance changes if they go by background story.

Edited by TeriXeri