leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

26 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

In my opinion, that's just because there's currently nothing to talk about. We have no leaks, no hints, nothing except confirmation that Overwatch is going to happen. Furthermore, there's no precedent, nothing that's happened before to give any indication I felt what's going to come. And considering how diverse the source material is, we could theoretically see literally anything come out of this theme. 

Yeah but his point about HP and Bond still stands. The Bond thread only have confirmation that something was coming, and the HP thread was literally based on a rumor that I'm pretty sure turned out to be false. A month and a half is a really long time to go for a theme that Lego probably expects to be popular.

5 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Yeah but his point about HP and Bond still stands. The Bond thread only have confirmation that something was coming, and the HP thread was literally based on a rumor that I'm pretty sure turned out to be false. A month and a half is a really long time to go for a theme that Lego probably expects to be popular.

Well, assuming it's minifig and not constraction, I'll buy it. Though, to be honest I don't expect Overwatch to last long. It'll probably be more of a One-off theme like Jurassic World; one, maybe two waves? Three at most. 

But who cares? As long as I get Tracer and Mercy (and some other cool stuff) I don't really care how long it lasts. 

Although I do hope they make Junkrat and Roadhog. Wrecking Ball too. It'd tie in brilliantly with TLM2.

2 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

There's a rumour circulating that they're going to be construction figures. I hope not, I really want to see minifig scale sets. 

I don't think it's a rumour. It originated from just people speculating and wishlisting in Instagram comments.

I don't think they are constraction figs.  I thought I heard there would be actual playsets.  Considering the Star Wars constraction figs really didn't sell well at all.  I hope we get Reaper and Honzo.  I think some of the maps would make for interesting playsets like the castle map or the desert map. Can't think of the names of maps right now.  Only time will tell but I hope they show us something soon to get the vibe out there.  

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

Constraction would be awful.  Hopefully those rumors are proven wrong soon.

Actually, thinking about it, I would be surprised if these are not constraction figures. They would need a looooooooooot of new moulds if there are regular system sets with minifigures

5 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Actually, thinking about it, I would be surprised if these are not constraction figures. They would need a looooooooooot of new moulds if there are regular system sets with minifigures

Well, Mark Stafford (a.k.a @Nabii) said himself right on this very discussion topic that he had designed some of the upcoming playsets; so, with that said, I doubt he'd be working on constraction sets.

16 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

They would need a looooooooooot of new moulds if there are regular system sets with minifigures

Well so did Harry Potter, the Lego Batman Movie, the Disney CMF, and Infinity War, and all of those sets sold incredibly well.

Never played the game and I do not wish to, yet I am interested in the possibility of sets. Now I doubt TLG would use such a big license only to end up with constraction figures. They haven't been selling well since high Bionicle days and the price range we've seen for the sets so far really seem more like playsets. Not to mention Overwatch has other action figure lines (I assume), and I highly doubt LEGO has cards in that game. So I think this discussion is kinda pointless. It's definitely playsets + brickheadz. 

54 minutes ago, Mountain Drew said:

Well so did Harry Potter, the Lego Batman Movie, the Disney CMF, and Infinity War, and all of those sets sold incredibly well.

Well I know I am not representive of most LEGO fans but I have never heard of nor seen anything at all pertaining to Overwatch until this thread surfaced. I am however quite familiar with all the subject matter you mentioned so I do have my doubts on the popularity of the Overwatch sets. So to assume they are worthy of the same attention and or new moulds just because they are similarly popular may be a stretch.

I can definitely say I'm not too surprised the excitement isn't quite on par with James Bond or Harry Potter. While Overwatch is hugely popular, I don't think it is so with too many here on EB.

I know I was excited seeing the emails that the thread was active today. Excited for more details soon now that the site is "live".

I think what Lego is trying to do here is to have the kids who get the Minecraft sets transition to a different selection of characters, locations, and vehicles (I don't know if there are any vehicles, I don't play the game) because eventually the kids will lose interest in Minecraft, and sets based on another widely popular video game is perfect to take Minecraft's place on their shelves (even though right now most people would probably think of Fortnite before Overwatch, but still). Plus, eventually Lego will run out of ideas for Minecraft sets, theres only so many biomes and mobs.

Edited by Mountain Drew

6 minutes ago, Mountain Drew said:

I think what Lego is trying to do here is to have the kids who get the Minecraft sets transition to a different selection of characters, locations, and vehicles (I don't know if there are any vehicles, I don't play the game) because eventually the kids will lose interest in Minecraft, and sets based on another widely popular video game is perfect to take Minecraft's place on their shelves (even though right now most people would probably think of Fortnite before Overwatch, but still). Plus, eventually Lego will run out of ideas for Minecraft sets, theres only so many biomes and mobs.

The only vehicles I can think of are D.Va and Wrecking Ball's mechs. Though I'll be first to admit I only have a small knowledge of the source material, so . . might be more?

I really hope we se at least a couple of location builds. Something Japanese for Genji and Hanzo is practically guaranteed, because of the possible Ninjago link. I'm hopeful that there'll be a Junkrat/Roadhog set too, because their post-apocalyptic vibe works so well with The Lego Movie. 

And I desperately hope they make a big set of Fort Gilbatrar with Winston and Reaper. That place is amazing. 

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

The only vehicles I can think of are D.Va and Wrecking Ball's mechs. Though I'll be first to admit I only have a small knowledge of the source material, so . . might be more?

I really hope we se at least a couple of location builds. Something Japanese for Genji and Hanzo is practically guaranteed, because of the possible Ninjago link. I'm hopeful that there'll be a Junkrat/Roadhog set too, because their post-apocalyptic vibe works so well with The Lego Movie. 

And I desperately hope they make a big set of Fort Gilbatrar with Winston and Reaper. That place is amazing. 

I doubt we'll see Wrecking Ball since he's just recently been introduced, same could be said for Brigitte. Other vehicles could be bastion (kinda) and payloads (of which there are many, one of which is a limousine.) There are indeed tons of cool locations they could use, overwatch is really diversed in its environments. I think the temple of Anubis would be a good guess since Lego likes to put out some Egyptian based sets every few years, there's also the steampunk like version of London which is very cool looking, or even the blizzard world theme park which could include the eagle roller coaster (or whatever it's supposed to be). The settings alone could make this theme highly desirable, I think it's best compared to Johnny Thunder. Then there's the rich cast of characters with lots of different ethnicities, which could be best compared to a regular cmf series since non of them are looking anything like eachother or could be categorised under one theme like wizards or superheroes. Also it seems like the custom Tracers that are out there sells like hotcakes, so I think this theme will do just fine for about 1 or 2 waves.

I think the original press announcement on BusinessWire said something about building sets across multiple price points, which sounds to me like regular construction sets, since buildable figures tend to release waves with figures at the same or similar prices, save for a couple of outliers like the Scout Trooper set. I'm really excited about this theme though, hopefully if its successful and continues for multiple waves, we could get alternate skins as minifigures like from the different seasonal events. Later down the line, I'd also love to see a Blizzard World set, would really fit well with the D2C Rollercoaster and other fun fair attraction sets!

EDIT: Just seen some posts on reddit about Brickseek, if you type in certain DPCI numbers, it comes up with listings for some of the sets!

75971 - $20

75972 - $30

75973 - $40

So judging by these, I'm really doubting the constraction arguments even more, this looks promising!

Edited by ProfessorHawk

It seems that there will be at least 4 overwatch sets (75970-75973) with prices known for 3 of them. 75971 being $20, 75972 being $30, and finally 75973 being $40

I am more excited by the possible TV Show reveal from this. I am a huge Overwatch fan so this will be a treat.

Edited by Ordinareo

50 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It seems that there will be at least 4 overwatch sets (75970-75973) with prices known for 3 of them. 75971 being $20, 75972 being $30, and finally 75973 being $40

Good to hear. 

Now let's hope that's either 75970 or a hypothetical 75954 might be a big Fort Gilbatrar. 

Edited by Feng-huang0296

Perhaps the 4th set is a D2C. It would make sense to do a much bigger, more detailed set in this wave, for the more mature buyers. And considering how well the Ninjago City set sold (a more detailed set for collectors), I wouldn't be surprised to see a D2C Overwatch set. And when you think about it, Ninjago and Overwatch are quite similar. They both feature ninjas, robots, ghosts, monsters, and even post-apocalyptic landscapes, so maybe the people who'll buy these Overwatch sets will be the same audience as Ninjago.

16 minutes ago, Mountain Drew said:

Perhaps the 4th set is a D2C. It would make sense to do a much bigger, more detailed set in this wave, for the more mature buyers. And considering how well the Ninjago City set sold (a more detailed set for collectors), I wouldn't be surprised to see a D2C Overwatch set. And when you think about it, Ninjago and Overwatch are quite similar. They both feature ninjas, robots, ghosts, monsters, and even post-apocalyptic landscapes, so maybe the people who'll buy these Overwatch sets will be the same audience as Ninjago.

Here's hoping. Though, have they ever done a D2C for a smaller theme like this before? The only thing I can think of is the Ultron Hulkbuster, and even though Infinity War was a one-off, it's part of the broader, long-lived Super Heroes theme . . .

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Here's hoping. Though, have they ever done a D2C for a smaller theme like this before? The only thing I can think of is the Ultron Hulkbuster, and even though Infinity War was a one-off, it's part of the broader, long-lived Super Heroes theme . . .

Simpsons has two D2Cs and other than that the theme only has CMFs

Same goes for the Disney Castle

The problem is that I don't know what they can do to make a whole big D2C set like Ninjago City, but I don't play the game so I'll leave the speculating to you guys.