leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

9 minutes ago, nixtron1 said:

my guess for this would be buildable figures.  

Doubt it, why do build able figures when you can do brickheadz? 

2 hours ago, nixtron1 said:

Do you mean like the Star Wars buildable figures?

2 hours ago, nixtron1 said:

I hope so. I doubt @Nabii can comment on that, but I guess we'll know more about the planned sets at the SDCC.

You mean the buildable figures that sold so badly that they got cancelled abruptly halfway through the year? Doubt it.

Edited by doclord

16 minutes ago, doclord said:

You mean the buildable figures that sold so badly that they got cancelled abruptly halfway through the year? Doubt it.

Exactly... on top of that they said "Aditionally, LEGO® Group has plans for multiple Overwatch building sets across various price points." which suggests playsets rather than Brickheadz or buildable figures. This doesn't rule either of them out but they would probably be sold in conjunction to the theme that consists mainly of playsets

17 hours ago, BasiliskSoldier said:

Overwatch has 27 playable characters in total, all of which have over a dozen skins. There is an abundance of material for a CMF series.

I doubt we'll get all 27 playable characters. (And, if memory serves, aren't they constantly adding more?) The only time that we've ever gotten a line-up of characters like that was when they dug through all the Z-list Batman villains for TLBM. And I highly doubt that 'The Lego Overwatch Movie' is going to be a thing anytime soon. 

I'Ve never played the game, and only ever had a passing interest in the idea. As long as I can get Tracer, Winston, D.Va (and her mech) and Mercy (because I want those wings as a new dual-molded part), as well as some cool location builds, I'll be satisfied.

Don't know much about the game but I looked at pictures of the game after hearing this news, I hope we see some buildings or structures in general across various styles. From sounds of the press release it sounds a lot like play sets over brickheads but as mentioned there could be brickheads to go along side the theme 

Trust TLG to make sets of the only Blizzard franchise I'm not all over. Saves me some money I suppose! (As in, if it was WC or SC (Diablo would never happen in a billion years) I would be spending a ridiculous amount, but as it's OW I may grab this'n'that.

And I take that edited comment from Mark that those other games are not being expanded into, or at least not at this point.

This could be really interesting.

Sets will probably be based on different maps from the game. I haven't had a chance to play it so idk which ones are popular, but there will probably be at least one of their version of a Payload cart and the 'waves of robots' gamemode.

Most of the characters will probably be stock minifigs with new hair molds. Roadhog and Winston will likely be bigfigs. Bastion, Orisa and D.VA's mech are probably going to be builds. Reinhart could work as a build or a figure with a large torso like the yellow Nexo Knights guy (Axel I think?).

I wonder what they're going to do for the weapons. Could be a chance to get a lot of new molds, or at least recolors.

Now that I think about it, this reminds me of some lovely customs I saw a while back.

overwatch_lego_minifigs.jpg

More specifically, this one first came to mind:

34776409315_f1cd1558ab_b.jpg

I'd expect something more like these, if the characters are normal minifigures.

I'm really interested how they will to reaper.  Some of these characters could be epic if done right.  Only time will tell.  

I don’t care about Overwatch...but if they sell well this could open the door for Starcraft. *fingers crossed* 

But...I wonder how they will handle this? Isn’t Overwatch an open world shooter? I guess Brickheadz, as mentioned, would be the best fit. 

Edited by Vindicare

9 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I don’t care about Overwatch...but if they sell well this could open the door for Starcraft. *fingers crossed* 

But...I wonder how they will handle this? Isn’t Overwatch an open world shooter? I guess Brickheadz, as mentioned, would be the best fit. 

Probably similar to Minecraft. After all, Overwatch can be boiled down to Minecraft PvP with guns and no building. And I would point you to the Siull Arena, which is pretty obviously a PvP-inspired set.

(I know that's a massive oversimplification, but I've never played Overwatch, just looked on google images and read the wiki a bit. And my point is that Minecraft is also an open-world, first-person video game, and it works well enough in Lego.)

I honestly don't fully comprehend Blizzard games, but I wonder if Warcraft and Starcraft have potential conflct with LEGO's major franchises (LotR and SW) despite Warcraft was more about being owned by Megabloks in earlier times.

Well yeah, it feels like either only huge variety of sets or another CMF series can cover the amount of of playable characters from this game. Especially the accurate molds.

I could hardly believe this announcement, but am super excited! Especially hearing that Mark has been working on them! I'd expect to see building sets at first, but guess it would be likely that Brickheadz and/or CMFs could come in the future. And like everyone else, hoping that this could mean more Blizzard building sets in the future. It'd be nice for there to be sets for fans of as many Blizzard games as possible!

For those wondering, I'd definitely say Overwatch is still very popular. I funnily enough haven't played in months myself, but watch Overwatch League regularly. It's run just like any other sports league, with casters, stats, teams, playoffs, etc. The production value is incredible, and they average over 100K viewers four nights a week on Twitch. I have no doubt in my mind the League will continue to become more popular, especially with how good things have looked/been in their 1st season.

23 hours ago, nixtron1 said:

Yeah, no, I was thinking of that; it certainly seems realistic to view that as a likely outlet for sets here, especially if we consider CCBS's track record and the dynamics/visual style of Overwatch. It's not a guarantee off of how well SW has been selling (or lack thereof), but I'd suspect that TLG's next CCBS venture could easily be this; that said, I'd assume that we're getting SYSTEM sets on top of any CCBS/Brickheadz that we might see in the first few waves.

And, of course, this is all contingent on how well Overwatch sets would perform, but it doesn't seem too unlikely, just off of the nature of the source material, to guess that we'd see all three.

23 hours ago, J4ck said:

Doubt it, why do build able figures when you can do brickheadz? 

...Because you can make realistic looking figures with CCBS... and you can't with Brickheadz.

21 hours ago, doclord said:

Nope. Buildable figures - like, not Star Wars. Lol.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. because TLG has been making buildable figures for 20 years, and so they've probably been around for a heck of a lot longer than you've been buying sets. Nothing was canceled "halfway through the year", because we've had SW CCBS for 3 years now - at least, if we're assuming that we've seen the final wave. Heck, it shouldn't be too hard to prove your point if you're not a fan of buildable figures. :P

I'm hoping this will be primarily System sets.  After thinking about it, if the license covers all of the Overwatch related media then there should be plenty of things to work with.  Map locations, payload vehicles, those giant Omnics that keep cropping up, that sort of thing.  Heck, they could even do a couple of battle packs with alternate skins for the characters if they really wanted.

1 hour ago, Azani said:

Yeah, no, I was thinking of that; it certainly seems realistic to view that as a likely outlet for sets here, especially if we consider CCBS's track record and the dynamics/visual style of Overwatch. It's not a guarantee off of how well SW has been selling (or lack thereof), but I'd suspect that TLG's next CCBS venture could easily be this; that said, I'd assume that we're getting SYSTEM sets on top of any CCBS/Brickheadz that we might see in the first few waves.

And, of course, this is all contingent on how well Overwatch sets would perform, but it doesn't seem too unlikely, just off of the nature of the source material, to guess that we'd see all three.

...Because you can make realistic looking figures with CCBS... and you can't with Brickheadz.

Nope. Buildable figures - like, not Star Wars. Lol.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. because TLG has been making buildable figures for 20 years, and so they've probably been around for a heck of a lot longer than you've been buying sets. Nothing was canceled "halfway through the year", because we've had SW CCBS for 3 years now - at least, if we're assuming that we've seen the final wave. Heck, it shouldn't be too hard to prove your point if you're not a fan of buildable figures. :P

My apologies, I interpreted “buildable figures” as brick built similar to the adventure time Ideas set.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

I doubt we'll get all 27 playable characters. (And, if memory serves, aren't they constantly adding more?) The only time that we've ever gotten a line-up of characters like that was when they dug through all the Z-list Batman villains for TLBM. And I highly doubt that 'The Lego Overwatch Movie' is going to be a thing anytime soon. 

I'Ve never played the game, and only ever had a passing interest in the idea. As long as I can get Tracer, Winston, D.Va (and her mech) and Mercy (because I want those wings as a new dual-molded part), as well as some cool location builds, I'll be satisfied.

Depending on how long the theme last a good amount of the characters could get released but you are right that they are adding more, and unless they change plans or pace there will be 2 more by the time these sets would hit shelves. They plan on releasing 3 heroes a year about every 4 months at the moment.

Well, I've been doing some research. I'm anticipating that one of the sets will be Watchpoint: Gibraltar, and include Winston and Reaper. I'm also hoping for something set in Nepal, with Genji. Which will hopefully fit in well with Ninjago stuff. And I guess Hanzo too. Still hoping for Tracer (because she's cool) D.Va (because mech) and Mercy (because robot angel wings), and now I really want Mei (because she's really cool) and Bastion (both because I like him and I want to see how they'll build him) too. 

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if they made a set that was mostly D.Va and her mech at a scale similar to the Hulkbuster . . . now I want a set like that. You can never have too many mechs. 

Edited by Feng-huang0296

On 30.5.2018 at 12:24 AM, J4ck said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to one set revealed at SDCC.

God I really hope so... just like the Great Hall for Harry Potter or the Blue's Helicopter Rescue for Jurassic World. Just a little sneak peak to make fans go crazy and build hype... 

Also I really hope Tracer and McCree will be made since those two are my mains :P

Edited by Puresh

On 5/30/2018 at 2:57 AM, Puresh said:

God I really hope so... just like the Great Hall for Harry Potter or the Blue's Helicopter Rescue for Jurassic World. Just a little sneak peak to make fans go crazy and build hype... 

Also I really hope Tracer and McCree will be made since those two are my mains :P

Just as long as we get reusable accessories that also happen to be available to buy on Bricks and Pieces.

overwatch is popular, but if tlg expands here, they are going to have a lot of pressure on them to expand into other games... just to name a few, battlefrield, halo, warcraft, starcraft, fortnite(?)...

they already did two sets for battlefront and a bunch of minecraft sets. they might even be continuing minecraft. Plus, i thought that lego doesn't really want to do the whole weapons, more realistic guns, and the whole adult theme. they only brought out the simplistic firearms they have to expand into some movies and starwars.