leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

Interesting... Did not expect this, but there's a lot of potential here to get some new and useful pieces. The minifigures will look amazing. However, with all of the licenses Lego have right now, I wonder how this will do? It seems like it would get lost in the shuffle...

Well, here's me thinking several days before this announcement Lego needs to try something new. Lego is fantastic but I felt it was missing something, although current themes are great, it needed something fresh, this is a great announcement and it took me by surprise alright.

6 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I wonder when the set designs will be revealed?

This man is asking the real questions in life :wink:! Depends wether they've started designing yet, it wouldn't surprise me if the desires have already started work after the deal but before the announcement.

Good news! The first wave of sets will hit shelves January 2019!

A lot earlier than what people were speculating

7 hours ago, BasiliskSoldier said:

Neither is Minecraft, but they're still making sets.

Overwatch is a reasonably popular and well known brand, though it's definitely peaked already. It lends itself reasonably well to sets, and has a lot of memorable characters. There's definitely worse options out there.

Minecraft is still popular in the 8-12 year old age range, so maps on very well to LEGO's target audience. I'm guessing this one is more mid-teens and upwards based on the content. So maybe LEGO are targetting a slightly older age range.

I don't think we'd see a CMF line for this one though. While the sets are fine being marketted to older teens upwards, I hope the CMFs don't go there. These have always been child friendly characters at pocket money prices. Plus is the overlap there between fans of Overwatch and LEGO?

8 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

But I mean, is this necessary? I know there are still Overwatch fans out there, I just don't get why Lego is intent on loading up on licenses, and mediocre ones at that. Do they need another one to get lost in the shuffle? They've got to have at least 20 by now.

You gotta learn the difference between "im not interested" and "if im not interested, then it should be irrelevant to the entire planet", because it is not.

I worked on these sets.

There was a big internal discussion about basing things on an FPS, but Overwatch has no blood, no realistic weapons (except maybe McCree) and a fantastic story universe with wonderful heroes and villains. Also Blizzard have big plans for the future which excited us. (EDIT: the future of Overwatch that excited us. (- sorry Digger of Bricks!))

I've been a player since beta so I was incredibly excited to be part of it.

For now that's all I can say, but I will be back in the future and will probably answer a few questions at that time (a month or three from now when things start to officially surface), but I can't answer any questions right now.

Edited by Nabii

Just now, Nabii said:

I worked on these sets.

So I take it that these are playsets, and not just BrickHeadz and the such?

1 minute ago, Nabii said:

Also Blizzard have big plans for the future which excited us.

Well, those wishing for World of Warcraft and/or Starcraft sets are going to be all over that comment! :wink:

It probably also makes sense to try to keep hold of those kids that initially became interested in LEGO though Minecraft sets, as they are 5-6 years older now and think Minecraft is just for little kids and the theme is beneath them.

Well it's nice to have some confirmation that this is indeed real, and that they are indeed sets.  I'm going to go ahead and assume that we will see a mech designed by @Nabii.

its nice to see that these will be Sets instead of just brickheadz. While granted i wish it was Nintendo, it’s cool that lego seems to be forming a legitimate partnership with a video game company. Also comic con is in 1-3 months so I could definitely see things getting revealed then 

34 minutes ago, Nabii said:

I worked on these sets.

There was a big internal discussion about basing things on an FPS, but Overwatch has no blood, no realistic weapons (except maybe McCree) and a fantastic story universe with wonderful heroes and villains. Also Blizzard have big plans for the future which excited us. (EDIT: the future of Overwatch that excited us. (- sorry Digger of Bricks!))

I've been a player since beta so I was incredibly excited to be part of it.

For now that's all I can say, but I will be back in the future and will probably answer a few questions at that time (a month or three from now when things start to officially surface), but I can't answer any questions right now.

I'm glad to see that Lego officials actually visit these boards and engage with fans. It's nice.

Hopefully they've also seen the feedback on the desire for full sets and regarding the possibility of Warcraft stuff.

Only thing I hope is that you do big heroes justice. Bastion, D.Va and probably Reinhardt will be brickbuilt (I think?) but I'm curious about what you are planning for the rest.

8 minutes ago, Dharkan said:

Only thing I hope is that you do big heroes justice. Bastion, D.Va and probably Reinhardt will be brickbuilt (I think?) but I'm curious about what you are planning for the rest.

Reinhardt would be a bgfig, I would imagine.

Bastion and the D.Va mech would likely be brick-built.  That could be Nabii's involvement, as he builds really nice mechs.

Edited by x105Black

16 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Reinhardt would be a bgfig, I would imagine.

Bastion and the D.Va mech would likely be brick-built.  That could be Nabii's involvement, as he builds really nice mechs.

But Reinhardt is just as big as D.Va.

LEGO's scale has always been wonky. Personally I think it would make sense if Reinhardt was like Leatherhead or the Mr. Incredible from the video game, one of the pseudo-bigfigs.

And remember that they are not necessarily going to make every figure.... LOTR, Hobbit, Simpsons, Scooby Doo, even characters like Goofy from Disney, loads of themes are never really complete.

23 minutes ago, Dharkan said:

But Reinhardt is just as big as D.Va.

Then D.Va could be brick-built to that bigfig scale.

But as others have said, scale is never that accurate in LEGO.  I went mostly by body types.  I suppose Reinhardt could be a brick-built mech suit, but it's really a big dude in armor, whereas D.Va is definitely a regular sized girl in a mech.

The game was released two years ago. 2019 is way too late. Meh, I don't care about the IP anyway.

9 minutes ago, 3797 said:

The game was released two years ago. 2019 is way too late. Meh, I don't care about the IP anyway.

Online games don't have expiration date unless it's been like 10 years or something.

19 minutes ago, Dharkan said:

Online games don't have expiration date unless it's been like 10 years or something.

Or when they are no longer popular / profitable.

32 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Or when they are no longer popular / profitable.

Blizzard support their games for years, regardless of popularity. Just look at Starcraft and Starcraft 2. They've just released an updated version of the original RTS Warcraft 3 game for modern PCs.

Overwatch will be around for years yet.

1 hour ago, 3797 said:

For videogames is kinda hard to predict how successful they will be and how long they'll be around. 

Look at Pokemon Go. It came and went in like 3 months.

So, I understand they TLG took 2 years to make the decision

By the way, is this the first time we are getting a license based on a videogame alone, I mean without any movie coming or something (like Angry Birds)?

36 minutes ago, leafan said:

Blizzard support their games for years, regardless of popularity. Just look at Starcraft and Starcraft 2. They've just released an updated version of the original RTS Warcraft 3 game for modern PCs.

Fair enough, but Warcraft and Starcraft were always very popular, even when there were no current games available.  They are considered classics.

17 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Look at Pokemon Go. It came and went in like 3 months.

And yet it still has millions of players (myself included).

12 hours ago, BasiliskSoldier said:

Overwatch has 27 playable characters in total, all of which have over a dozen skins. There is an abundance of material for a CMF series.

Sounds legit when it comes to all those original character molds.... welll I'll buy them, but not sure how normal kids react?

So Megabloks basically loses mose franchises recently?

Never played it (i can’t play fps games without becoming nauxious), so i am not really familiar with the content. I hope it will bring us cool new sets and this could be like a good mix-up with the game as well. A fps lego overwatch game?

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

By the way, is this the first time we are getting a license based on a videogame alone, I mean without any movie coming or something (like Angry Birds)?

Minecraft