leafan

Overwatch 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

1 minute ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Who said abything about a Summer 2019 release? The fact that we're hearing about it this early says Winter 2019 to me. 

1 hour ago, Penkid11 said:

I trust Brickfanatics like a thief with my bank account.

There is absolutely no way they (nor anyone) would know how many sets are releasing at this point, especially (theoretically) if they aren’t set to release until middle of next year.

I'm just excited about the fact this even exists, to be honest. We can only pray it isn’t just Brickheadz.

...(theoretically)...

2 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Brickfanatics says we should expect 6 Sets im 2019

I would ignore that, as well, as everything else that they have, with aplomb, ever claimed. That being said, it certainly isn't unrealistic to assume that we'll be seeing these contemporaneously with me in the release of whatever TLG's "evergreen" lineup for the Winter will be; in practice, TLG will do their best to stagger these. I guarantee that those folks are making things up, insofar as Overwatch is concerned.

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Sounds like a wave of sets I'm going to have to look out for! :sweet:

D.Va's Mech is a shoe-in for a set. There's no way Lego's not escaping making a kit based off of the iconic pink mech, and that should be good news for everyone. New curve pieces in pink is good! 

I can also imagine most of the kits being based off of various choke points in stages. Dorado has a nice chokepoint before the first checkpoint with the fountain plaza that'd make a fun set if it included the truck/payload. 

Also, knowing Activision-Blizzard, they'll also release a collectible mini figure line. Look, everyone! Loot boxes!! :laugh:

They have lots of skins, yes, but minifigure line would mean using up resources way too quick.

Is this Overwatch brand popular enough to have a CMF line?

I mean, a Disney/Simpsons/Batman/Harry Potter level of popularity?

2 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Is this Overwatch brand popular enough to have a CMF line?

I mean, a Disney/Simpsons/Batman/Harry Potter level of popularity?

It was for a time yes, with thousands upon thousands of Overwatch let's plays being uploaded and watch each day on YouTube. I think it still has a very large following, but I feel like Fortnite is taking away it's popularity among younger people and on YouTube.

Brickheadz are almost a certainty. Especially since the the press release for the wave one stated that brickheadz will be based off of video game characters as well. We've not received a single brickheadz based off of a video game character yet.

2 hours ago, J4ck said:

Brickheadz are almost a certainty. Especially since the the press release for the wave one stated that brickheadz will be based off of video game characters as well. We've not received a single brickheadz based off of a video game character yet.

If they start off with Brickheadz, people will be disappointed. And honestly, even though I love Lego, Brickheadz are just glorified funko pops.

Edited by Dharkan

Consider me excited. I don’t even play the game but I’ve always admired the character designs and imagined how some would translate into minifig form. With as many characters and variants this series has, I’d say a CMF line is imminent.

For anyone wanting a taste of what Lego Overwatch might look like, you can check out this series of IGN's customer Lego Overwatch stop motion shorts from last year:

It's nothing official, but a fun stop motion in the Overwatch theme that you might enjoy.

Geez. How many licensed themes can they have running at one time? Overwatch isn't exactly the hottest thing out there right now. :look:

Edited by BrickJagger

Neither is Minecraft, but they're still making sets.

Overwatch is a reasonably popular and well known brand, though it's definitely peaked already. It lends itself reasonably well to sets, and has a lot of memorable characters. There's definitely worse options out there.

Just now, BasiliskSoldier said:

Neither is Minecraft, but they're still making sets.

Overwatch is a reasonably popular and well known brand, though it's definitely peaked already. It lends itself reasonably well to sets, and has a lot of memorable characters. There's definitely worse options out there.

But I mean, is this necessary? I know there are still Overwatch fans out there, I just don't get why Lego is intent on loading up on licenses, and mediocre ones at that. Do they need another one to get lost in the shuffle? They've got to have at least 20 by now.

7 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Geez. How many licensed themes can they have running at one time? Overwatch isn't exactly the hottest thing out there right now. :look:

There are over 30 million accounts for overwatch. I would say that’s pretty popular. Clearly with this many licensed themes, you can say licenses sell 

I wouldn't call Overwatch a mediocre license. Sure it's no longer the new hotness, but it's still a pretty decent property. You can run the theme for a few years, maybe do a CMF, there's enough character skins to support at least 3 waves, probably sell pretty decently.

4 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

There are over 30 million accounts for overwatch. I would say that’s pretty popular. 

There are over 100 million accounts for MySpace. :tongue:

4 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

you can say licenses sell 

They do, until the bubble bursts. Licenses in moderation are fine, but the bottom could fall out at any point and I don't think they're setting themselves up well for that. Frankly it's not a good idea to put too much of anything on the market at the same time, so this isn't just me complaining about Licenses or anything. Eventually Lego will hit a brick wall with these things and that...will not be pretty.

I'm suprised to see a lot of you are suggesting a CMF for this theme.

I didn't even know what Overwatch was until this thread was posted and I googled it. I feel like a live under a rock :laugh:

If you see the licensed CMFs so far they are really big brands: Disney, Batman, Simpsons and Harry Potter

I'm actually a little surprised by this considering the violence in overwatch and legos' track record but on the other hand they have been making sets with darker undertones lately like LOTR, The Hobbit, some of the Harry Potter stuff.  They have been delving into the more obscure and violent super heroes and villains in Marvel and DC lately too.  But I am excited at the possibilities because this opens up a whole new era for lego I think by going after some bigger video game properties.  I really hope they do WOW though that could be huge.  

Aw heck, for the love of Ole Kirk, do we not have ENOUGH MegaBlokking licensed themes already?!!! :hmpf_bad: :ugh: 

Ok, for as little as I know about this property, I at least know this line may potentially offer us some interesting parts and minifigures for others to utilize elsewhere, but... 

Please TLG, expand your in-house action themes beyond Ninjago before you acquire yet another license! :sad:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Please TLG, expand your in-house action themes beyond Ninjago before you acquire yet another license! :sad:

Ditto! This has gone far enough.

26 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I'm suprised to see a lot of you are suggesting a CMF for this theme.

Overwatch has 27 playable characters in total, all of which have over a dozen skins. There is an abundance of material for a CMF series.

20 minutes ago, BasiliskSoldier said:

Overwatch has 27 playable characters in total, all of which have over a dozen skins. There is an abundance of material for a CMF series.

With extra accessories so that you can customize your Avatar/Fig. Possibility of new molds for weapons! Yay.