ranghaal

Earthquake in Cologne

This is absolutely phenomenal! Normally its all trains with me, but I got recommended to look at this and it is well worth it!

Any chance of a top down view / view from above of the moc, might be quite difficult to pull off I know, but I'd love to get an idea of the proportionality of certain aspects of the build! Thanks! :sweet:

1 hour ago, JEB314 (James) said:

This is absolutely phenomenal! Normally its all trains with me, but I got recommended to look at this and it is well worth it!

Any chance of a top down view / view from above of the moc, might be quite difficult to pull off I know, but I'd love to get an idea of the proportionality of certain aspects of the build! Thanks! :sweet:

By request :-)

Here you can see the full madness. Hope this suits you.

Plan.jpg

As you can see, the whole road is bend! I did this so you can have a look at the torn side of the brown house.
You can see that I used simple slopes to achieve the bend.

Edited by ranghaal

Impressive indeed! :thumbup: Lots of great textures and techniques - and another example why brick-built roads are superior to road plates. At least they look much better when broken ... :wink:

One question though: Is everything we see here fixed?

25 minutes ago, ER0L said:

One question though: Is everything we see here fixed?

No, some things are quite obious - e.g. the car, the minifig - but also the broken branch, some bushes, the fir tree... I wanted some things to be flexibleso I could change them more easily.

Some things are more or less fixed, but not by klicking studs! The alternating bricks in the wall of the brown house are shiftable.

Edited by ranghaal

26 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

WOW, I've never seen such a (mind blowing) MOC before :wub::wub:

Go out and have a look! There are plenty :blush:

Thanks a lot!

Congratulations for amazing MOC (and well-deserved front page exposure)!

The perspective and mood of the photo are spot on. The somewhat larger-than-minifig scale is perfect to add neext-level details, such as the off-setting of the facade. I also like the architectural style, the different era buildings. My favourite are the facades, with all the off-sets, SNOTed walls, definitely something to try and learn from.

59 minutes ago, Redhead1982 said:

The perspective and mood of the photo are spot on. The somewhat larger-than-minifig scale is perfect to add neext-level details,

Thanks! I'm really glad that you can feel the mood here! I was afraid it's too much of a show off, too technical and crowded.

You think the scale is larger than minifg?
It's hard to tell because the minifigs are proportionally so different from humans - the ratio of height and width is totally different.

As a guide I used the height to measure things. Some of the windows of the "older" houses are very high though indeed :-)

13 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Extremely awesome, no noob could do this!

I called myself a noob for my posting skills.

I wouldn't consider myself a noob builder anymore :laugh: 

Edited by ranghaal

On 21.5.2018 at 11:08 PM, Bricked1980 said:

This takes moc building in a different direction [...]

It's almost as if you're using lego bricks as an art medium and blending colours together as if they were paint.

You are right here, though I am not the first one and by far not the most extreme.

The whole MOC was planned as a "picture".

This is truly incredible and a very authentic looking earthquake destruction and living in Christchurch I would know

5 minutes ago, Darth Max said:

very authentic looking 

Thanks! 
It may sound funny but I did a few hours of research. Mostly outside for the pavement and gullys.

And as a tree fell onto the house of my father I had first hand information there, too, though no window was shattered.

Edited by ranghaal

13 hours ago, ranghaal said:

No, some things are quite obious - e.g. the car, the minifig - but also the broken branch, some bushes, the fir tree... I wanted some things to be flexibleso I could change them more easily.

Some things are more or less fixed, but not by klicking studs! The alternating bricks in the wall of the brown house are shiftable.

Thanks for the info, I was talking about the non-movable elements. The more unusual techniques the better - if everything stays in place (studwise or not ... :wink: ). I was just wondering if it's stable enough to be transported to a convention which would be great because you don't see many buildings of this kind on such occasions. However for that purpose it also should be modular in some way which it probably isn't. Thus I rather take it as a built picture, as you put it. Very inspiring nonetheless.

1 hour ago, ER0L said:

I was just wondering if it's stable enough to be transported to a convention

No chance! One reason is that it is so huge that I had to put it on the floor in my living room.
Which means that I have to disassemble it in a few days to get my space back and be able to clean the floor again.

Also I didn't had enough parts - those houses are almost all only 1x2 plates(!) - to do a full build. Its mostly fassades :-( 

Edited by ranghaal

This is simply amazing. I love the fact you've also mocced a bicycle :)

On 22.5.2018 at 3:05 PM, CarrollFilms said:

When we can expect a War of the Worlds type display? 

In fact I thought about a scene similar to this but with a giant alien steel cylinder (beloging maybe to a tripod) in the middle of it.
But I fear this will take months or years... I have plenty of totally different plans first. 

16 hours ago, ranghaal said:

In fact I thought about a scene similar to this but with a giant alien steel cylinder (beloging maybe to a tripod) in the middle of it.
But I fear this will take months or years... I have plenty of totally different plans first. 

Well, it looks like you can turn LEGO into art. I have no doubt it would take some time to create, but it would definitely be something to gaze eyes upon

Oh, the creation time would "only" be a few weeks. I should be much faster now. But I really like to do some others things first.I don't want to repeat myself so I turn to a totally different topic now.

But I'm almost sure I will do this some day! I also would like to do a real "end of time" scenario some day. Something like Fallout.

I really like the textures of the different walls of the buildings as well as the cracked road and the tree.

If possible it would be nice to have a closer look at how you acheive the small offsets of the DBG wall.

Thanks for sharing (incl the nice guides for combination of Modulex and Lego)!

2 hours ago, baard said:

If possible it would be nice to have a closer look at how you acheive the small offsets of the DBG wall

You only have to tell me what DBG means?
I wanted to add links here for tutorials or add a new thread...

I'm not certain what the best way is.

Coming soon nevertheless.

26 minutes ago, ranghaal said:

You only have to tell me what DBG means?
I wanted to add links here for tutorials or add a new thread...

I'm not certain what the best way is.

Coming soon nevertheless.

Dark Bluish Gray :) 

This looks really good, probably one of the best builds I've seen. It's consistent, realistic and superbly build. Regarding the tutorial links; if you would post them I would keep them in this thread to keep everything together. That way you can update the first / original post and have a great overview. 

20 hours ago, baard said:

If possible it would be nice to have a closer look at how you acheive the small offsets of the DBG wall.

Hi, 

Maybe my brief tuturial can help. Feel free to ask and I open en extra thread where I can show you this in full detail.

I did a simpler form of this in my first moc.

Take a look at that, too. It uses less brick types and helps to get an understanding.

39240861321_2932ff434d_c.jpgThe Front - Fantasy medieval like house front - Lego MOC by Ralf Langer, auf Flickr

I needed to do this several times till I got it finally right.

The trick is to use bricks that have an offset (jumper, rail-brick) and to use moveable 1x2 tiles inbetween.
Unfortunately this is much harder than it sounds because 1x2 tiles, well there are tiles, don't allow to build upon them.

There are some patterns that work. Start with two 1x2 plates, a rail brick and a tile.

42331374191_38f6df2b4a_c.jpgBHTextures by Ralf Langer, auf Flickr

WOW! :thumbup::wub:

There's nothing more to ad. All is said in the other comments.

Thank you for sharing and congratulations!