ranghaal

Earthquake in Cologne

Hi,

finally I'm back with a new MOC. Maybe it's not the typical city MOC :-)
I wanted to do something a bit more gloomy and realistic than usual.

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments and I also appreciate negative criticism - it helps to get better.

BrokenHome

A tree crashed on my father's house several weeks ago. As I wanted to do some more twisted stuff I added this earthquake scenario.

It is supposed to be in Germany. Maybe it could be some other european city as well. The modell contains a range of architectural styles seen here quite often.

The white house in the center seems to be some of those ugly buildings, that where done in the 50s after the war. 
And yes, I created it ugly by will not by faillure.

The building at the right edge is a bit unusal. Has to be something thats called "Historismus". 

41529092584_ece4c626d9_z.jpgBroken Home Beer by Ralf Langer, auf Flickr

The worker is drinking a "Kölsch" Beer. The people in cologne have their own beer style and named it after the city.

41349331465_bc43b10560_c.jpgBroken Home Help is underway by Ralf Langer, auf Flickr

I couldn't resist :-) 
I mean, how often do you build a zebra crossing?

42204545352_86ce703c6d_c.jpgBroken Home The car incident by Ralf Langer, auf Flickr

Edited by ranghaal

Duuuuuude....

So your first moc blows away castle builders and now you show the city people what's possible :D The buildings look amazing, lots of great variety in styles and colours there! SO many great details, this is an absolute beauty! :thumbup: 

I'm totally blown away... 

It's quite funny that your MOCs both encourage and discourage me to build (although I haven't built anything yet but I sure will): each MOCs you build are extremely inspiring but I'd never be able to build such an incredible model... Can't wait to see the tutorials!

Edited by LegoModularFan

What a brilliant MOC! The idea is already incredible, but the execution... damn you! Perfect! :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I'm totally blown away... 

That's quite funny because your MOCs both encourage and discourage me to build: each MOCs you build are extremely inspiring but I'd never be able to build such an incredible model... Can't wait to see the tutorials!

I agree with every single word!

Such a lovely celebration of ugliness and destruction! All these cracks in the walls and broken up road surfaces, the textures and colours - very good work and fitting together perfectly!  :classic:

Wow, this is really an impressive build! So many details to look at yet it still feels very complete in the panorama. I especially love the "Sackgassen" sign. Keep up that amazing work!

@Skalldyr

Originally I had other signs too, besides the dead end. And lamps, and garbage cans in many colours (as we germans love to sort our garbage there are several colours for them).
but I had to remove it all because it looked to stuffed.

@Drunknok & @LegoModularFan

I surely don't want to discourage anyone.
The good thing is, it's not a question of talent to build like me.
The bad thing is you really really need much, much, MUCH time if you are not blessed with talent. I might be the slowest builder around to compensate. What I do is hard work.
Back when I did my first MOC I remember that I needed days for a little part of the roof. Let alone the fact that I tried many different versions of a small roof.

Everytime I do a new MOC I feel like the first man on earth. Totally lost. 
And - by the way - I you haven't build yet, you can not know what you are capable of. I never thought myself I get this far.

I can give you any technique I know, but one of the main tricks is the mind set.
Ignore the grid. But beware: it's no fun.
Really good builders achive similar moods and effects without my technical exaggerarion.

Edited by ranghaal

My mind is blown. This takes moc building in a different direction and to a whole new level. You could have very easily have chosen to build this as just a normal street layout and it would have still been a beautiful and stunning model to look at. But to come up with and incorporate the whole earthquake scenario is just such a clever idea and you have pulled it off perfectly.

Really like how you have picked colours that go together so well and create such realistic earthy looking buildings. It's almost as if you're using lego bricks as an art medium and blending colours together as if they were paint.

It's brilliant. :classic: :thumbup:

Just so perfectly executed I could stare at it for hours, so many cool details that add to the overall effect, love it. That guys hair popping up, looking at his car, classic, actually made me laugh out loud. Very well done.

Very nice work!! I love it.

But can you please make sure to embed images no wider than 1024 pixels? Thanks!

PS if you correct them, I might be able to do some extra promotion :wink: 

4 hours ago, Jim said:

But can you please make sure to embed images no wider than 1024 pixels?

That's indeed much better! Thanks for the Tip!

As you can see I'm still a total noob - to much building and to few posting.

Edited by ranghaal

10 minutes ago, ranghaal said:

That's indeed much better! Thanks for the Tip!

As you can see I'm still a total noob - to much building and to less posting.

When it comes to building you are no noob at all :wub:

You made it to the frontpage. 

5 minutes ago, ranghaal said:

Jipee!!

Thanks, Jim!

:thumbup:

Thank you for posting here. I do love the tree btw. Glad you didn't take it out.

No way! The tree is the center of this whole MOC.

I only thought about removing it temporarily to change the house underneath. But then I didn't dare...

Ahhh okay, that makes sense.

Just Breathtaking!!!

O My!!!

( the BMX-Bike is also a great build )

Amazing!!!

Greetings!

I saw it on 1000steine! Very impressive! That was a lot of work!