40440117150_0959476042_o.jpg

Well I finally unearthed the old girl from my east coast repository (my brother’s house) and yes by the yellowing of the white, you can tell she has been displayed for a few years on my shelf.  I built this around 2000, but I only know this by the use of the bent studless liftarms that I had just gotten when I built her, and those came out in 2000.

Here is the list of my modifications/functions. See my Flickr pages for lots more photos and close ups. I didn’t have time to take any video.

Electric proportional 4 wheel power steering

Electric drop top convertible - operated by switch on dashboard

Electric micro motor controlled spoiler- operated by switch on dashboard

Pneumatic ride height adjustment- from switch in center console utilizing:

Front - shock mount point adjusted to maximize suspension travel

Rear - pneumatic spring compression to maximize traction

Opening doors with internal and external handle/latch

Supercharger - belt driven

Intercoolers

Working brake pedal and brake lights ( no real brakes :pir-angry: )

Fiber optic ignition with real timing (simple firing order)

Improved body styling and stretched wheelbase.

Only original function lost was HOG steering, but since the steering wheel was now proportionally electric controlled, you could steer and push from the steering wheel with no problem with the top down.

Hope you enjoy!

Joke mode on-:laugh:

And just a note, I am not really looking for any criticism unless you have been doing this since 2000 or 2001 and can remember having to try and add all these features and functions using what we had at the time.  

Joke mode off-:laugh:

Edited by Bublehead

44 minutes ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Details

Just ask... I am not sure what people are interested in, I was posting this because other members wanted to see my MOD. This is 18 year old work so no wip pics or write ups I am afraid. What functions would you like me to detail? There are close ups of all the features I have mentioned on my Flickr.

I will add a post detailing the power steering.

Edited by Bublehead

Power steering-

The steering wheel provides input to one side of a differential. The opposite side of the differential is connected via lever arms to a pole reverser switch with the reverser handle removed (to remove the default click action) so there is very little resistance to moving the switch from off to forward or reverse. This switch is hooked to a Technic motor which through two worm gears is tied to the input gear on the differential and to the steering shaft that operates both front and rear racks.

In a state of equilibrium, the motor is off, the diff is “centered” on the steering wheel input shaft and output shaft and the pole reverser is centered on “off”. When the driver turns the steering wheel, the diff transmits the differential movement to the pole reverser and turns it on in the direction that wants to recenter the diff until the difference between input and output is equalized. This movement, in turn, turns the steering output shaft and moves the wheels to the new position. If the driver continues to turn the steering wheel, the steering gear “follows” the rotary motion and the wheels continue to turn directly proportional to the movement of the steering wheel in either the left or right direction. There is enough friction in the input shaft and output shaft such that when the driver lets go of the wheel, the system  reaches equilibrium and stops. It can not get “stuck on” and continue turning without direct input due to the negative feedback required (actually turning the steering wheel) to make the system move. I have never seen this system used before back when I built it, and if someone has another example built using old or modern Technic, please point me to it, as I am fascinated by analog proportional devices.

Edited by Bublehead

1 minute ago, Didumos69 said:

A video of all these functions would be nice.

Sorry, no video coming.  As I said in my OP, no time while back east. You just have to imagine looking at stills I am afraid.

If you ever do get a chance to make a video though, please do. I'm quite keen on stuff to do with PID too so seeing how and how well it works would be fascinating. Does it work similarly to this? Because if so, then that's like borderline genius lol

Edited by Bartybum

@Bartybum, yes it works similar to this, but I used a differential and my double worm gear drive reduces the speed of the unit to make the experience feel more controlled and smooth. The biggest problem with using a modern PF switch is the inability to remove the default click like the old pole reverser switch.  This makes the feedback way less sensitive and makes it a bit jumpy as you have to overcome the increase in torque when moving from the centered position. If you can imagine, here’s how mine feels. When you grab the steering wheel and start turning, it just turns with no feeling of resistance from the steering mechanism. You stop,turning, it stops turning immediately, this is due to double worm gear reduction. It follows your movement- just like real power steering. The key invention here is the use of a differential to determine the actual difference between input position and output position, turning on motive force in the direction that reduces the difference back to none.

Edited by Bublehead

I found a video that is almost identical to my power steering but uses modern technic. The only difference is mine used a double worm gear drive to reduce the high speed of the old technic motor and this one uses a single worm.

19 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

Flickr says bublehead hasn't made any photos public yet. 

They are all marked public... not sure why you are getting that. Flickr stats show they are being viewed.