This lego great ball contraption module uses two "minecarts" and a conveyor belt to lift the marbles. The module is quite reliable even though it has so many gears and moving parts. The carts have extra plates on the bottom to make them heavy enough to pull the strings down, as these strings are quite stiff. The Instructions and part list is on rebrickable here.

Lego GBC Minecart Module Photos

↑↑↑ This mechanism with the two 2L technic beams is what makes the carts stop at the top to let the marbles in. The PF switch is attached to the servo motor witch flips the gearbox direction, this way the main XL motor always runs in the same direction.

Lego GBC Minecart Module Photos

I like it - nice mechanism - but it would make more sense to me if the minecarts took the balls uphill instead of downhill. Would that be possible?

22 hours ago, bombcar said:

I like it - nice mechanism - but it would make more sense to me if the minecarts took the balls uphill instead of downhill. Would that be possible?

Thanks! It would be possible but would require quite a large modification to the design.

True, I realized you’d probably have to have reverse minecarts to allow the balls to still roll out. 

Nice effect of the carts moving, I like the way the divert is linked to the position of the carts 

Could you use a second string and wheel to connect the carts at the bottom as well, so that one cart going up pulls the other cart down?

Anyway, I think I just had my mind blown as regards my current thought-project.   Seeing what you have going on and realizing just how much I am taking on.

Hi sawyer klegr,

we really like this model! Could we start a conversation about using it on the LEGO Technic Social Media channels? If so please send an email to socialmedia@LEGO.com

Regards,

Pieter and the LEGO Technic team

On 6/5/2018 at 3:51 AM, LEGOPieter said:

Hi sawyer klegr,

we really like this model! Could we start a conversation about using it on the LEGO Technic Social Media channels? If so please send an email to socialmedia@LEGO.com

Regards,

Pieter and the LEGO Technic team

Wow, I would be honored! I have sent you a email but if you don’t get it my email address is sawyerklegr@yahoo.com