Sign in to follow this  
Waler

[MOC] [MODEL C] Airplane with Tug as 42035 alternative with instruction

mini.jpg

Around 4 months ago I built alternative model of 42035 Mining Truck but I just found some spare time to take pictures, film and describe it.

So, using only parts from one 42035 set (including spares) two models were created: single engine Airplane and Tug.

In total I used 347 parts from original 364. Mostly long axles and connectors has left.

dsc_0185.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0186.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0187.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0210.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0205.jpg_thumb.jpg

AIRPLANE

This one has been built first. First off when I saw tapered panels I thought – “they’ll fit perfectly as an airplane wings!”. So I had no doubts what kind of alternative I’d like to do. Alpha version was created in 3 evenings and didn’t differ that much from the final product but still many parts left, including 4 wheels. I thought that it’s too much waste of bricks and I have to think out something else, best if this “something” would fit existing model. And so, second model appeared - Airport Tug, but about it in a minute.

Airplane consist of 208 elements. It has moving single piston engine and propeller at front. Movement comes from rear wheels which are made out of T16 entwined with a chain. Plane has also movable rear loading ramp and ruder. From visual site there are pair of landing lights and side exhaust. Cockpit and 4 windows for passengers were highlighted too.

dsc_0194.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0195.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0201.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0196.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0197.jpg_thumb.jpg

TUG

As I mentioned earlier after building airplane lots of parts left and I’ve made second vehicle – tug. It consist of 139 parts and has 2 functions – driving and retracting rear tow bar with hitch.

In this model you can detect 2 similarities to mining truck – front grill and steering system. As there were quite limited amount of bricks left, probably nothing better than this, which has been already made, was possible to create. As in original truck there is also HOG steering.

Tow bar mounting point is exactly at the end of frame. To fold and unfold it there is T8 gearwheel placed just behind driving wheel. At its end there is a hitch for airplane front wheel that can moves freely in any direction. After hooking it up propeller doesn’t touch any part of tow bar.

dsc_0208.jpg_thumb.jpg

Thanks to short wheelbase and overall compact dimensions even with hooked up airplane, maneuverability is really good.

Everything due to limited amount of bricks is outlined in shape of tug but whole construction is resistant for intensitive play. Unfortunately visual attractions and details almost doesn’t exist beside front grill, mentioned earlier, and headlights.

dsc_0189.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0188.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0192.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0193.jpg_thumb.jpg

Bearing in mind that there are only around 360 bricks to use I think that models are not that bad. Both of them had to go on compromise but more attention and parts I spent on airplane.

VIDEO:

INSTRUCTION:

It is true that making instructions is not my strong point but this time due to fact that many of you has 42035 set, I decided to made a LDD model. You can download it along with automatically generated  instruction by clicking: DOWNLOAD
Before building note that LDD interpret "axles with stop" incorrectly, so it's sometimes impossible to place it like instruction suggest. Keep it in mind when building.
Thanks
:classic:

Very nice! The smaller a set, the harder to come up with a c-model. The airplane is aesthetically better than the tug, but I like it all together. Btw, the instructions function of LDD is practically useless. You could also express the building steps in terms of groups in your LDD-file.

I particularly like it if someone build a new vehicle from a factory model. Bravo is very inventive!!!

10 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Very nice! The smaller a set, the harder to come up with a c-model. The airplane is aesthetically better than the tug, but I like it all together.

+1 Almost exactly what I was going to say...

i like airplanes and i use to work as a air ramp personnel and the tug is not required for mono plane piston aircraft  . I still like your setup and good job !!  

On 5/20/2018 at 4:00 AM, sirslayer said:

i like airplanes and i use to work as a air ramp personnel and the tug is not required for mono plane piston aircraft  . I still like your setup and good job !!  

It was more a detail in a b model I assume, because they both belong at an airport.

Thanks, glad that you liked it :sweet:

@Didumos69, could you tell what do you mean by grouping steps in LDD files?

@sirslayer, yeah I know that such a small planes doesn't need a tug to move but if does, they're operated by hand like pallet jack. But in this particular situation I wanted both models to complement each other and fit scale. Making tug in one scale and kind of a big airliner (but few times smaller than tug) would make no sense so I decided to do alter reality a little bit :wink:

13 hours ago, Waler said:

@Didumos69, could you tell what do you mean by grouping steps in LDD files?

In the group panel of LDD you can define a group hierarchy representing your building steps. In my case this is most often the result of digitally reverse engineering my own designs. Take a look at this relatively simple example: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-5905/Didumos/compact-90-stepper/#bi and compare the steps in the photo sequence with the groups in the LXF-file.

Building from such a 'stepped' LDD-file works as follows: First delete each group (depth-first) from top to bottom and then with Ctrl-Z (undo) restore each deleted group, step by step. You can select the parts in a group by clicking on the group in the group panel. When it's a big assembly I sometimes teporarily copy-paste the entire group to take a better look.

Edited by Didumos69