After couple of years working on a not-car projects I picked up BMW i8 as my next project. This time I plan to post a work-in-progress pics here as well. Just for fun I think

05-May-2018
Started with side. It has interesting door shape - both - the front and the end are sloped. Let's see how this construction will flow together with 75 degree inverted slope

whatsapp_image_2018-05-05_at_15.49.14.jp

06-May-2018
Yep - it flows very nicely with 75 degree inverted slope. But - wow.. the struggle with the door end and the section around it. It has three different angles there in a small area. So complicated. I bet I'll return to this section

whatsapp_image_2018-05-06_at_00.28.48.jp

06-May-2018
Continued with front grill. Those small neck brackets are really nice. They give the narrow gray line just above the kidney-grill section. And at the bottom the bumper will cover half of the plate, so the lines both will be as narrow as it can get. Also - a small update at door window line. Implemented the half plate increase (do not mistake that with half-stud offset). This gives the window line much smoother increase from front to the rear

whatsapp_image_2018-05-06_at_22.57.52.jp

07-May-2018
Continued with headlights. There isn't much space to work within but somehow I managed to "break" the headlight in two angles and cover the side of it.

whatsapp_image_2018-05-07_at_23.00.50.jp

08-May-2018
Something unusual. Normally - when I redo a part of my MOC, it gets more accurate shape, but at the same time it gets more fragile. Not in this case. The headlight outter section and the outter-bottom part of the bumper got nice curvy shape and is even stronger than before.

whatsapp_image_2018-05-09_at_00.12.16.jp

16-May-2018
Changed the bottom of the grill section. Instead of half-covering the lower plate, I changed the entire supporting construction and implemented there headlight brick technique. This gives the desired grill look and the bumper fits there perfectly too. Now I'm struggling with the air intake and the small loop below the grill. Have tried like three or four different techniques, but nothing fits there like I want it to...

whatsapp_image_2018-05-16_at_23.58.26.jp

18-May-2018
After countless iterations I think I finally got the front air intake right. Turns out - I had to use the smallLEGO Technic panels. The connection is strong and easy.

whatsapp_image_2018-05-19_at_18.38.59.jp

To be continued...

Wow! When I saw the first picture I wasn't expecting much, TBH... but this is amazing! Your construction is so clean and accurate! I am following with interest.

Thank You, followers

21-May-2018
Bonnet basically is finished. Just few elements need to replace in blue. Will continue with what's under the bonnet
whatsapp_image_2018-05-21_at_23.43.41.jp
whatsapp_image_2018-05-21_at_23.44.33.jp

Your technique seems exactly opposite of how everyone else does it, none the less it looks very good so far. Following with great interest. 

On 2018.05.22. at 6:05 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Your technique seems exactly opposite of how everyone else does it, none the less it looks very good so far. Following with great interest. 

Oh really? That's interesting. To be honest - I've never paid much attention to how the other folks do their cars. But thanks anyway.

And thank you all for showing the interest.

So, here's a new update. Today I finished the front seats (or at least I think so for now) and most of the top of the dashboard is complete too. Will see how this will fall together when the central console will be added. But after that - oh God - then I'll have to work on door hinge mechanism. I suspect that will take a while, a patients and a lot of gray hair. :)

whatsapp_image_2018-05-30_at_23.26.47.jp

Hmm.. this might actually work. The good old rigid hose technique. The door holds for itself on one clip. I plan to use two clips, so it should work well. And with the hose I'll get the desired roof shape too. Two birds with one stone. Yikes!
20180605_071934.jpg

Didn't have much time past week. Here's a little update to see, how it looks if the rigid hose is fixed at the rear at approximately correct angle and high. And the door window frame is built underneath it. It does look quite ok, but I don't like that the frame is that fat. There has to be a way to do it thinner.
40940507200_7296d64ec0_z.jpg

Finaly had time to get back to this project. Changed the window frame and the roof technique. I think this will do much better. Now - the rear section.

42135626604_3724bd9bcb_z.jpg

Yep - the door holds. Even with the whole inside part added to it. The roof also holds it up. You can see that the seats are laid back, so.. there's nothing holding the roof at the rear. Imagine when I'll be done with the rear part of the roof - it should be relatively strong, at least stronger than my earlier MOCs did.

42804974562_1c7663ea10_z.jpg

48 minutes ago, Rolic said:

...it should be relatively strong, at least stronger than my earlier MOCs did.

Perfect. It will now be possible to check your MOCs without you being around and not breaking it :grin:

Continued my way back to the rear section of the car. Oddly - seems ok to me with the first shot. Struggled a little bit with the underneath the rear section, but... other than that - seems ok to me.

29054060618_7fe4a0cbb0_z.jpg

I'm absolutely stunned. At first you see the first picture and you think not much is going on, but then you see the end result. Keep up the hard work!

Thank you folks for the nice comments. Very much appreciated.

And please... don't be shy :). Spread the word about this. I haven't abandoned it. I have big plans for this one. I was just veeery busy with other stuf. But good news are - yesterday I picked it up again and currently am strugling with the tail light section.

Edited by Rolic

I was sitting in an i8 last year. With 240 km/h  on the German Autobahn. :)

Your model is really detailed. The contours are very accurate. To find good rims in Lego is an impossible job. But this one are looking ok.

As a windscreen wiper you can use a Katana Item No.: 21459