Hi everyone,

time to take another step in my European tour... :classic:

europa.jpg

...time to visit the United Kingdom...

inghilterra.jpg

...with the Class 23 D5909 :wink:

class23-001.jpg

class23-002.jpg

The Class 23 is a diesel-electric locomotive powered with a special kind of engine (designed by D. Napier &. Son) where the cylinders were disposed in a three bank triangle with a delta shape (also called Deltic: the merge of Delta and Electric)

class23-006.gif

The diesel engine was a single, half-sized version of those used in the more powerful Class 55 "Deltic" locomotives, and the overall design and external appearance of the Class 23 was also similar to the Class 55, but much shorter, leading to their nickname of "Baby Deltic"

[from Wikipedia].

The most challenging part of this locomotive was to approximate the curved profile of the roof and at the same time insert in the main body the battery pack and the 9 Volt battery for the lights (that can never be missing on my models :tongue:)

class23-008.jpg

class23-009.jpg

class23-010.jpg

class23-011.jpg

class23-012.jpg

I also wanted to combine two beautiful VGA cars with this English locomotive.

class23-016.jpg

These wagons are a replica of the beautiful work done by  Hod Carrier

class23-017.jpg

class23-018.jpg

The result is amazing with that nice contrast between blue/yellow and red/gray! :wub:

class23-013.jpg

Enjoy the show :laugh:

class23-003.jpg

class23-004.jpg

class23-005.jpg

class23-007.jpg

class23-013.jpg

class23-014.jpg

class23-015.jpg

class23-019.jpg

class23-020.jpg

class23-021.jpg

class23-022.jpg

class23-023.jpg

class23-025.jpg

class23-026.jpg

See you next month in a new European state! :grin:

Beautiful models once again! I can imagine how difficult it was to get the curved shapes right.
The sides of the wagons are amazing, too. And you're right, these colours are looking really good in this combination. :thumbup:

That engine is insane, never heard of such a piece of engineering before. *huh*
Do you happen to know if it actually worked well, or spent more time in the repair shop than on track?

20 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

That engine is insane, never heard of such a piece of engineering before. *huh*
Do you happen to know if it actually worked well, or spent more time in the repair shop than on track?

Initial problems with the locomotives were minor and varied, although a problem with cracking in the cylinder liner around the injector hole required the engine to be changed.

Before this model I've never heard of this kind of motor too :pir-murder:

Oh yes...!!! Now that is very cool. I had been wondering what loco you would choose for the UK, but the Baby Deltic is an inspired choice. It is also a wonderful surprise to see it paired with a couple of VGAs. Together they do make for an eye-catching train.

Well done for getting the shapes of the engine right. I always thought it was a handsome engine and a shame that none survived, but you’ve revived the spirit of these machines and done a fantastic job with your replica. :grin:

A note on the prototypes. The Napier Deltic engines themselves were largely reliable. They were developed primarily for naval use during WW2 in order to fill the need for a compact but powerful alternative to the petrol engines previously used in MTBs and PTs to make them safer to operate in combat (diesel fuel is much less flammable than high octane petrol). They were used successfully in small warships such as minesweepers and fast attack boats such as the Nasty Class which operated with the US Navy during the Vietnam War. 

Railway applications came a little later when Napier’s parent company, English Electric, saw it’s potential due to it’s compact size, light weight and high output. Although the engine proved largely reliable, Baby Deltics often required replacement engines as a consequence of the failure of ancillaries, particularly with the shaft connecting the engine to the auxiliary gearbox that drove the cooling fans and air compressor. These shafts suffered from resonant vibration and could snap, rupturing cooling hoses and causing the engine to seize. Consequently their failure rates were four times higher than equivalent designs powered by more conventional diesel engines. However, the Deltic engine was very compact and powerful, as evidenced by BR’s suggestion that the engines be swapped for English Electric 8SVTs resulting in an 8 ton weight increase and a 100hp drop in power. In the end these locos fell victim of BR’s National Traction Plan of the 1960s to cut costs by reducing the types and numbers of diesel locos. The non-standard design and the fact that only 10 were built meant that the Baby Deltics were destined for withdrawal with the last one being cut up in 1977 (which sadly means the class would never have hauled a VGA).

Edited by Hod Carrier

39 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

Oh yes...!!! Now that is very cool. I had been wondering what loco you would choose for the UK, but the Baby Deltic is an inspired choice. It is also a wonderful surprise to see it paired with a couple of VGAs. Together they do make for an eye-catching train.

Baby Deltics often required replacement engines as a consequence of the failure of ancillaries. However, the Deltic engine was very compact and powerful. The non-standard design and the fact that only 10 were built meant that the Baby Deltics were destined for withdrawal with the last one being cut up in 1977 (which sadly means the class would never have hauled a VGA).

...but in my perfect world of lego trains every locomotive is alive and fully operational: the oldest one can pull the youngest and most modern wagon! :laugh:

Note: Thanks for the historical information :thumbup:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

5 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Note: Thanks for the historical information :thumbup:

Just wanted to say the same to Hod Carrier, but you were a bit quicker... :wink:

Isn't it great that EB is not only a place of fun, but also to learn about things one didn't know?! :laugh:

Edited by Tenderlok

3 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

Isn't it great that EB is not only a place of fun, but also to learn about things one didn't know?! :laugh:

I totally agree. Putting things into perspective is the right way to confer credibility to every AFOL's project! :classic:

16 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

...but in my perfect world of lego trains every locomotive is alive and fully operational: the oldest one can pull the youngest and most modern wagon! :laugh:

Absolutely!! I’m right with you on that. :grin:

It >is< a beautiful rendition of that beautiful engine.

I am a bit disappointed though: Emanuele, someone with your qualifications would have no trouble finding ... a solution for brick-building such a motor with ample of detail (in 4-wide) fitting smack-on into the upper structure and directly driving all 4 axles. Thinking of it: Using Octane as propellant ...

OK. Guess what: I am kidding. As I have read elsewhere, you like Blues Brothers a lot -  maybe also Ghostbusters (the Original)? There is this scene: Janine, someone with your qualifications ... I stop it here. The very moment I see a new post of your work, I seriously rant and rave to my internet connection as it takes more than a second to load the corresponding Eurobricks page! This is another example of your dedication and building skills. Just knowing how to build is by far not all - there is so much more. For one, there is the 6-wide "scale". The larger this "scale", more and more detailing options become available (and here I would readily loose it again: I have no clue, none what so ever, how folks like Tenderlok and many others manage to do what they do, it is simply unbelievable to me). On 6-wide though, things become "picky". And then this appears. Comparing the photographs with your model: It is all there. The color scheme alone ... perfect.

Wow.

Oh well. Why am I not surprised ... looking forward to whatever you have in your treasure chest!

All the best,
Thorsten 

This is excellent. There are so many British Rail diesels of that general shape (Deltic, Class 37s, Class 44/45 Peaks etc) that have the curves in multiple places and are very difficult to replicate, especially in 6 wide, you've done a great job. Well done. The dark blue is a perfect choice too.

Great work on both your Baby Deltic and the VGA wagons. All are excellently done and correspond to their pictures well.

@LEGO Train 12 Volts  Really nice design on that Class 23 baby Deltic!   I've been thinking about how to do a Class 55 Deltic in Lego, but taking the smaller version and using that as the inspiration instead was probably a better choice.

Keep up the great work!

Spectacular. I was wondering what British loco you were going to choose; I didn't expect a 23! It's a pretty good choice for a LEGO model, especially as it has 2-axle bogies, matching TLG's train motor. You've perfected those compound curves and side details, and done well to find the parts for it in Dark Blue. I love your usual standard of clean stickers and working headlights too.

Spoiler warning - Obsessive British history and nitpicking follows!

Spoiler

As far as I know, the headlights aren't accurate. Where they are currently is perfect for the red tail lights. However, they shouldn't double as headlights, because BR locos didn't have any.

In steam days, headlamps were used for identification based on their arrangement on the front of the loco; in general*, the arrangement would indicate what class of train was being hauled, so that signallers could regulate trains properly (allow expresses through, control slow freights etc). In 1960, headcodes were switched from physical lamps to  a code of 4 digits*, displayed on roller blinds. On the loco, only the headcode blind box was illuminated; I believe that at night, that's all you'd see coming towards you, as it seems headlights weren't deemed necessary. In 1976, headcodes became obsolete due to the replacement of block signal boxes with centralised signalling systems. Therefore, the illuminated headcode boxes were all set to 0000, and eventually most were plated over to only show two white dots*. Sometime recently, I believe it became the norm that all trains have 3 headlights; one on each side low down, and one above in the middle.

Your model is therefore around 1976, where your (good quality) sticker represents the plated-over headcode box. Thus, the white headlights should be dimly lit circles in the headcode, and the position of the current lights should only be used as red "tail" lights.

I'm not blaming you though. It's a bizarre situation that seems only to apply to the UK, and I only learnt this after I had drilled the holes for some dual-colour LEDs in exactly the same erroneous positions on a Hornby BR Class 37 model! It's entirely excusable; your model is still fantastic.

*except Southern. They did things differently, as their region had to deal with London and commuter trains, where the destination is more important than the class of the train.

Overall I love your representation of the Baby Deltic. It's a stunning model, with perfect details, stickers and nearly-perfect (:wink:) headlights. Good work, I wonder where we're travelling next!

@ColletArrow Call yourself a pedant...?! :wink:

Spoiler

It's almost certain that no Baby Deltics received headcode dots, including D5909. The majority of the class was withdrawn between 1968 and 1971 with only D5901 lingering on in traffic until 1975 due to being transferred to Departmental Stock in 1969 and moved to Derby where it remained until replaced by a Class 24.

Edited by Hod Carrier

10 hours ago, Toastie said:

I am a bit disappointed though: Emanuele, someone with your qualifications would have no trouble finding ... a solution for brick-building such a motor with ample of detail (in 4-wide) fitting smack-on into the upper structure and directly driving all 4 axles. Thinking of it: Using Octane as propellant ...

OK. Guess what: I am kidding.

Oh well. Why am I not surprised ... looking forward to whatever you have in your treasure chest!

All the best,
Thorsten 

Hi Thorsten,

at a first glance I was scared for your comment ...but you were just kidding :laugh:

Thanks a lot for you amazing words for my last work. I've already several complete MOCs to show here in the next months ...you only stay tuned (maybe with a beer ...bottle relabeled as I read somewhere :wink:)

10 hours ago, Andy Glascott said:

This is excellent, especially in 6 wide, you've done a great job. Well done. The dark blue is a perfect choice too.

Thanks a lot ...I like dark blue too! :sweet:

9 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Great work on both your Baby Deltic and the VGA wagons. All are excellently done and correspond to their pictures well.

Thanks Feuer Zug ...for the VGA credits must go also to Hod Carrier :classic:

8 hours ago, icemorons said:

Really nice design on that Class 23 baby Deltic!   I've been thinking about how to do a Class 55 Deltic in Lego, but taking the smaller version and using that as the inspiration instead was probably a better choice.

7 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Spectacular. I was wondering what British loco you were going to choose; I didn't expect a 23! It's a pretty good choice for a LEGO model, especially as it has 2-axle bogies, matching TLG's train motor.

Spoiler warning - Obsessive British history and nitpicking follows!

The choice between Class 55 and Class 23 was precisely dictated by the number of axles and the excessive curves of the Class 55. The best Class 55 I've ever seen has been made by Bricktrix (too far from my possibilities to make a similar work :grin:)

4 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

@ColletArrow Call yourself a pedant...?! :wink:

Hide contents

It's almost certain that no Baby Deltics received headcode dots, including D5909. The majority of the class was withdrawn between 1968 and 1971 with only D5901 lingering on in traffic until 1975 due to being transferred to Departmental Stock in 1969 and moved to Derby where it remained until replaced by a Class 24.

Thanks again to CollectArrow and Hod Carrier for the tons of information ...finally I've well understand the meaning of the front panel :thumbup:

Very nice work, I'm not very fond of diesel but this one is very charming,

by the way  without the rear cab is the prototype of  one of the Chuggintons isn't it?

Sergio

18 hours ago, Gioppa said:

grat job, like ever!

12 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Great Job Again. You make some beautiful trains and this is another one.

10 hours ago, monai said:

Very nice work, I'm not very fond of diesel but this one is very charming,

Thanks you so much guys! :classic:

On 19/05/2018 at 4:46 PM, Hod Carrier said:

Well done for getting the shapes of the engine right. I always thought it was a handsome engine and a shame that none survived, but you’ve revived the spirit of these machines and done a fantastic job with your replica. :grin:

There is a project to recreate a Baby Deltic in the works right now. They are using a donor class 37 and heavily modifying it. Looks good so far from what I have seen in person.

http://www.thebabydelticproject.co.uk/

It's being built at Barrow Hill Roundhouse, about 15 minutes drive from my house!

12 hours ago, monai said:

by the way  without the rear cab is the prototype of  one of the Chuggintons isn't it?

My thoughts as well. I must admit Chuggintons spoiled those locos a bit for me (this, and Santa-Fe if I'm correct). Now whenever I look at those, I cannot help myself but I see their faces, the lamps make me think about nostrils etc. It's one of those "cannot unseen" things - gotta hate the personification of the engines :D

Back to topic - I'm curious, it's 6-stud wide, but it's quite long. I wonder how it compares to other 6-wide locos, most notably the official ones. I don't yet own any MOCed (or even SECed) engine, but I'm pretty sure I won't go larger than the 6-studs, because I ain't no modeller. On the other hand, at some point I'd love to have something other than official ones, so I need to start bookmarking some :)

11 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

There is a project to recreate a Baby Deltic in the works right now.

Wow I didn't know that the Baby Deltic was so notorious! :sweet:

10 hours ago, Bartosz said:

Back to topic - I'm curious, it's 6-stud wide, but it's quite long. I wonder how it compares to other 6-wide locos, most notably the official ones.

About the size a picture is better than many words :wink:

class23-024.jpg

Santa Fe Unit A (2 straight pieces)

Baby Deltic (3 straight pieces)

Santa Fe Unit A + Unit B (4 straight pieces)