I think it would be easy to MOD the saw blade, adding only a few pieces. Like 2 gears and some axles etc. I've tried to cut the tree in half, but some knob would be more comfortable

Edited by Jockos

7 minutes ago, Jockos said:

I think it would be easy to MOD the saw blade, adding only a few pieces. Like 2 gears and some axles etc. I've tried to cut the tree in half, but some knob would be more comfortable

Well, I'd be interested in seeing how that turns out.

The saw has a function: it flops around, and when the grabber is tilted with a "tree", the blade drops and chops the tree. See here at around 11:40.

@BrickbyBrickTechnic lol I have to admit that’s pretty funny

By the way it’s up on S@H now! $200AUD/$150USD, so same price as 42081.

Piece cost is $0.20/p though, so really iffy pricing. Parts are about twice as expensive as 42082. Leaving out PF really would’ve helped this set’s cost, but first timers need a cheaper way to get it than 42082. Probably won’t buy until half/a year down the line when it’s cheaper.

Edited by Bartybum

8 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Piece cost is $0.20/p though, so really iffy pricing.

Remove all pneumatics and PF stuff and you'd get your standard <0.10 price per piece.

8 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

The saw has a function: it flops around, and when the grabber is tilted with a "tree", the blade drops and chops the tree. See here at around 11:40.

I don't think the blade touches the tree. When he titls the grabber, the blade moves upwards, away from the tree. Watch it in 0.25 speed, the tree gets "cut" when it hits the floor.

Edited by incognito

39 minutes ago, incognito said:

I don't think the blade touches the tree. When he titls the grabber, the blade moves upwards, away from the tree. Watch it in 0.25 speed, the tree gets "cut" when it hits the floor.

It might be a sleight-of-hand thing. The whole thing happens so quickly that it looks like the saw sliced the log.

2 hours ago, zux said:

Remove all pneumatics and PF stuff and you'd get your standard <0.10 price per piece.

Nah <0.10 is reserved for flagships with heaps of pieces.

Actually doing the math here, without PF I’d expect it to be $150AUD, like 42053 was, since they’re at similar piece counts, and that Volvo’s license is pretty cheap from what I’ve seen.

If you add the PF components, by S@H prices that raises it by $34, making the set ~$185, not $200.

So I guess it isn’t THAT much overpriced, but there’s definitely some price rounding going on which I don’t like.

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Nah <0.10 is reserved for flagships with heaps of pieces.

Actually doing the math here, without PF I’d expect it to be $150AUD, like 42053 was, since they’re at similar piece counts, and that Volvo’s license is pretty cheap from what I’ve seen.

If you add the PF components, by S@H prices that raises it by $34, making the set ~$185, not $200.

So I guess it isn’t THAT much overpriced, but there’s definitely some price rounding going on which I don’t like.

42077 has 1005 parts (vs. 1003 in 42080) ant cost 99.99€. So by removing PF and pneumatics could result in same pricing. That would be 1k pieces for 100€ is more or less 0.10€ PPP.

I often wonder why this conversation even comes up, most people understand price per piece is a notoriously inaccurate method of judging a sets worth, and even more so when comparing totally different sets. 

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Doesn’t cost per mass generally give a much closer approximation?

Yes it does. 

Being a bit late to the party I thought Halloween is the perfect time to make a video with this set :)