I've only seen forest harvesters with a chainsaw blade on the cutting head, never seen one with a circular saw blade, but either way, this is Lego.
I don't expect the harvester to be able to actually cut the logs.

With this logic, you could argue that "what's the point with the small chainsaw accessory having a chainsaw blade when it doesn't cut?".
It's Lego. It replicates real life features in the set to be realistic in looks. Sometimes in functions, but not all functions can be made realistically.

Besides, if the "cutting" WAS realistic, you'd end up with ABS dust :laugh:

What's with all the hating? I'm getting two ?

Cheap access to motorized pneumatics, as well as A and B models that complement each other very well? Better than most 2018 sets if you ask me...

Edited by hjxbf

46 minutes ago, hjxbf said:

Cheap access to motorized pneumatics, as well as A and B models that complement each other very well? Better than most 2018 sets if you ask me...

The hating is because many people think it’s overpriced and ugly, and includes unnecessary trinkets.

I don't think it's directly ugly, it's just the number of colors that are a bit overdone.

We have Black, White, Yellow, Red, Green, Lime, DBG and even a bit of Blue in the exterior of the same model.
The crane arm alone is made up of 3 colors, excluding the LBG hoses and the multicolored cutting head.

I don't mind this mess of colors, but I do think the crane arm should have been solid Black or DBG and the side panels on the back Green with Yellow liftarms or Yellow with Black, with Yellow rims on the wheels and Black or DBG tiny panels on the cab instead of Lime.

I'll definitely look into these color swaps when I get mine.

9 hours ago, hjxbf said:

The trouble is that it is overpriced. The PF adds nothing to the set. Also, both the A and b model are ugly, there are too many colors and it is overpriced. I'd be a lot happier if Lego had given the set 4 pneumatic functions instead of PF that adds no value to the set.

18 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

I knew it! The pump is new!

How did you come to suspect that the pump is new?

It is only sligthly modified mould, the end with mounting point is stronger. Nothing to be thrilled by.

10 hours ago, martinator said:

The saw does have a function. It't allows you to manually cut trees with a diameter too big to be cut by the machine.  
Or if you work in a storm damaged forrest where you can't reach with the machine. Anyway - you always need a saw for some jobs.

I'm talking about the blade on the cutting head of the vehicle, not the chainsaw, and how pointless its inclusion is. Although the chainsaw is pretty pointless as well.

9 hours ago, Bartybum said:

The hating is because many people think it’s overpriced and ugly, and includes unnecessary trinkets.

1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

The trouble is that it is overpriced. The PF adds nothing to the set. Also, both the A and b model are ugly, there are too many colors and it is overpriced. I'd be a lot happier if Lego had given the set 4 pneumatic functions instead of PF that adds no value to the set.

It is my eldest son's absolute favourite in the 2018 lineup, because of its theme, functions and playability. I'd say LEGO did pretty well...

1 hour ago, hjxbf said:

It is my eldest son's absolute favourite in the 2018 lineup, because of its theme, functions and playability. I'd say LEGO did pretty well...

Are you buying it for him? If so then it doesn’t really address us thinking it’s overpriced

Edited by Bartybum

8 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Are you buying it for him? If so then it doesn’t really address us thinking it’s overpriced

Agreed. This thing is nearly as expensive as the CLAAS and yet it's only got around half the pieces. Yes, it has pneumatics, but as we can see from @Bricksley's photos there really isn't that much. Maybe those little red toolbox parts are more expensive than we thought... :look:

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

It's slightly more expensive than a motorized 42053 at retail, with similar pneumatics parts. Don't see the problem, particularly for those that don't have motors in their inventory already.

Just now, hjxbf said:

It's slightly more expensive than a motorized 42053 at retail, with similar pneumatics parts. Don't see the problem, particularly for those that don't have motors in their inventory already.

42053 has the Volvo licence and more parts. And more valves. And it looks good.

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

How did you come to suspect that the pump is new?

The preliminary instruction parts list. It had the same silhouette as the new one.

4 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

42053 has the Volvo licence and more parts. And more valves. And it looks good.

The Volvo licence has been dirt cheap for every Volvo set so far. I'd argue it makes negligible difference.

The part difference is approx. 100 pcs, equating about 10€. However, this is offset by the inclusion of an L rather than M motor.

Which then boils down to looks. Which never influences price anyway, and which is subjective.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but your objective points don't support it, as far as I'm concerned ?

18 hours ago, Error404 said:

I've only seen forest harvesters with a chainsaw blade on the cutting head, never seen one with a circular saw blade, but either way, this is Lego.
I don't expect the harvester to be able to actually cut the logs.

With this logic, you could argue that "what's the point with the small chainsaw accessory having a chainsaw blade when it doesn't cut?".
It's Lego. It replicates real life features in the set to be realistic in looks. Sometimes in functions, but not all functions can be made realistically.

Besides, if the "cutting" WAS realistic, you'd end up with ABS dust :laugh:

I US they use circular saws on some harvesters. There were one at display in Elmia Wood in sweden last year.  

Often mounted on tracked excavators.
50405.jpg?v=1
fig10.jpg

3 minutes ago, hjxbf said:

The Volvo licence has been dirt cheap for every Volvo set so far. I'd argue it makes negligible difference.

The part difference is approx. 100 pcs, equating about 10€. However, this is offset by the inclusion of an L rather than M motor.

Which then boils down to looks. Which never influences price anyway, and which is subjective.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but your objective points don't support it, as far as I'm concerned ?

What exactly makes the L motor more expensive than the M motor, exactly? I'm aware its availability is comparatively limited considering 8293, but is it objectively more expensive to produce per unit?

Look at every other set in this wave. All of them functionally reflect what they are modelled on brilliantly (I know 42081 is a bit skinny in places compared to the 'real' thing, but the panels used were probably to accommodate the B) and look great, with good colour schemes to match.

42080 just doesn't meet those standards. It looks odd and doesn't reflect the purpose of its real world inspiration. It's a great idea. I'll agree with anyone on that. But the execution needs to be better for the price.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

What exactly makes the L motor more expensive than the M motor, exactly? I'm aware its availability is comparatively limited considering 8293, but is it objectively more expensive to produce per unit?

Look at every other set in this wave. All of them functionally reflect what they are modelled on brilliantly (I know 42081 is a bit skinny in places compared to the 'real' thing, but the panels used were probably to accommodate the B) and look great, with good colour schemes to match.

42080 just doesn't meet those standards. It looks odd and doesn't reflect the purpose of its real world inspiration. It's a great idea. I'll agree with anyone on that. But the execution needs to be better for the price.

When I last bought PF components from shop.lego.com, the price difference between the two motors was exactly 10€.

I disagree with the comparison with the others sets in this wave; There are clearly compromises in each one of them with reference to their real life counterparts (wheel sizes, boom angles, lift heights etc.). I do not find 42080 any worse, my son identified immediately the two types of equipment the A and B models were supposed to be, from his limited reference to forestry videos on Youtube.

I to agree that the colour scheme doesn't match any real world examples, but the shape and functions are unmistakeable. I don't find it fair to dismiss a model on colour choice alone.

11 minutes ago, hjxbf said:

When I last bought PF components from shop.lego.com, the price difference between the two motors was exactly 10€.

I disagree with the comparison with the others sets in this wave; There are clearly compromises in each one of them with reference to their real life counterparts (wheel sizes, boom angles, lift heights etc.). I do not find 42080 any worse, my son identified immediately the two types of equipment the A and B models were supposed to be, from his limited reference to forestry videos on Youtube.

I to agree that the colour scheme doesn't match any real world examples, but the shape and functions are unmistakeable. I don't find it fair to dismiss a model on colour choice alone.

So using silly City elements, awful clashing colours and wheel rims that wouldn't look out of place on a pimpmobile are "compromises"? Nope.

Look, I feel I've made my stance on this set crystal clear several times over. I've repeated myself incessantly and it's starting to wear thin. Look back over this topic if you want more.

As a bonus, I'll throw in my personal pros and cons at a glance. Enjoy!

Pros:

It's something new and interesting.

Great idea!

Both models are linked by subject matter.

Some wonderful parts and the air valves look cool.

The steering is genius.

Lovely looking '42080' logo.

Looks very playable.

Cons:

Horrible colour scheme.

Only two pneumatic functions that feel shoehorned in.

Price is high.

Silly accessories that add to the price.

Saw does zippo.

System parts used inexpertly; unbalanced level of detail.

You like it. Good for you! Go buy it if that's how you feel. I'm sure TLG will appreciate the business. :classic: Let's move on now.

I have read the entire thread, and seen everybody's arguments. I thought the negative ones were a bit too based on augmented facts and bias. Hence why I chimed in ?

I am not looking to change your opinion, just document that there are alternative views, and that the set is not universally disliked.

Quite happy to move on as well?

How about we speculate on how the steering is achieved? From what is revealed, I saw that the starboard side of the turntable is connected to two 7L half liftarms, which connect to some sort of magic and a 9L tow ball liftarm.

Perhaps @Bricksley can lend a hand by sharing photos show the construction of the steering.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Cons:

Horrible colour scheme.

But bring couple of never seen before parts in generic (Green) colour. So thumbs up for that!

10 hours ago, zux said:

But bring couple of never seen before parts in generic (Green) colour. So thumbs up for that!

Never said the individual parts weren't cool. :wink:

New vid! Haven't watched it yet so can't comment, though.

EDIT: Watched! Nice that the new valves offer proportional control but the saw is indeed completely pointless.

Edited by Maaboo35