2 hours ago, allanp said:

I get that pneumatics don't absolutely need a motor as much as LAs to be playable, hand cranked pneumatics are  far better than hand cranked LAs in most cases. But why would a manual pump be better than letting a motor do the pumping work for you? With the PF you don't have to pump anything, just operate the valves like in real life. I don't recall ever seeing an operator of the real thing having to jump on the bonnet and push the exhaust pipe up and down to get the hydraulics to work. So is it not more authentic to have it like this without the manual pump?

The problem isn’t in the actual pumping mechanism, auto pumping is awesome.

The problem comes from all the extra baggage that comes with a motorised pump - the motor and the battery box. On a set with smaller proportions like 42080, you end up sacrificing some of the shaping of the set, as seen with the huge rear of the A-model and the really high bed of the B-model.

This of course goes without mentioning that I’ve got billions of battery boxes and don’t want more, but do want more pneumatics.

Motorised pumps are great in a large set like 8110 or 42043, because the inclusion of the battery box and the motor don’t negatively affect the shape of the build.

Edited by Bartybum

I would not buy this set for the B model, My first thought was WTF is that". I think we have a new leader in the worst or most ugly B model.  

11 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps you should replace white parts with yellow, black or dark bluish gray...you decide

I like the white. Besides, a color scheme typically needs 2 back ground color and 1 accent color. E.g. 42055, DBG and Dark blue as background, and Yellow as ascent. Or 42052, white and DBG as background, orange as ascent. For this I'd make yellow and DBG as background and white as ascent. It's true that Yellow serves better as an ascent though.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I like the white. Besides, a color scheme typically needs 2 back ground color and 1 accent color. E.g. 42055, DBG and Dark blue as background, and Yellow as ascent. Or 42052, white and DBG as background, orange as ascent. For this I'd make yellow and DBG as background and white as ascent. It's true that Yellow serves better as an ascent though.

I understand...so John Deere has green and a little bit of black and yellow rims as accent :wink:

Actually, I like the playability of the A model a lot, but the B model is still plain ugly to me. :tongue:

The steering is cool. Also, it looks like the head folds over to slice the log. Also cool. :thumbup: Shame it still looks terrible, but such is life. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Maaboo35

14 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

The steering is cool. Also, it looks like the head folds over to slice the log. Also cool. :thumbup: Shame it still looks terrible, but such is life. :hmpf_bad:

I’ll be honest, it’s kinda growing on me. I probably still won’t get it because of the price though

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Very nice functionality on the A model. I did not anticipate suspension.

For the asking price, suspension should come as standard. :laugh:

I like this set in theory, but the look and details still bug me. The 1x4 tiles on the upper arm (with 42080 on them) don't seem right; surely longer tiles would cover up the garish pins and be able to hold more details. I'm not one to ask for more stickers but in this case more is more. The sawhorse and chainsaw are an unneeded afterthought (notice how the camera lingers on them for a nanosecond before moving swiftly on) and so are the silly accessories (stick to City if you want teacups and toolboxes!). And with those things in mind, attention has not been on the actual details, like the in-cabin controls. :sick: The cabin is the right shape, but it's in the wrong position. Granted, the tubing and all would make it hard to place the cab in the middle of the machine.

For all that, it's a good concept and seems to do what it was made to do. A little more work on the shape and general appearance wouldn't have gone amiss, though.

I can see why they included the saw horse, chain saw and other details, for the kids I guess, but I'll not be building those, like I didn't build the handbag for the Porsche. I don't really want to pay for something that I'm likely not going to build though, so hopefully the add ons which don't do anything haven't affected the price much. 

5 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

For the asking price, suspension should come as standard. :laugh:

I like this set in theory, but the look and details still bug me. The 1x4 tiles on the upper arm (with 42080 on them) don't seem right; surely longer tiles would cover up the garish pins and be able to hold more details. I'm not one to ask for more stickers but in this case more is more. The sawhorse and chainsaw are an unneeded afterthought (notice how the camera lingers on them for a nanosecond before moving swiftly on) and so are the silly accessories (stick to City if you want teacups and toolboxes!). And with those things in mind, attention has not been on the actual details, like the in-cabin controls. :sick: The cabin is the right shape, but it's in the wrong position. Granted, the tubing and all would make it hard to place the cab in the middle of the machine.

For all that, it's a good concept and seems to do what it was made to do. A little more work on the shape and general appearance wouldn't have gone amiss, though.

Compared to the Volvo, this is a masterpiece - even if Picasso may have been involved somewhere.

I think TLG read our comments, and TLG would not give a flying hoot, because in the end this thing will sell like hot cakes.

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think TLG read our comments, and TLG would not give a flying hoot, because in the end this thing will sell like hot cakes.

Not sure it will. BWE has not been a great sellet and the Air Jet neither - so much so it is retiring early.

Seems the sets that are not traditional equipment are not so popular and this one will likely be in the same category.

This is probably my favorite set this year! I like both the A and B model. May get more than one.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I would say that this set will fly out.  it has enough scope if you didn't have any other Technic sets, to be able to build other things.  Good mechanics and functions.  Will sell better than the BWE.

The forester will sell because of the pneumatic system, I will get it but will swop out some of the colours to get a more uniform finish instead of it looking like a bucket of puke. 

Its a very nice little set, but so is all 2H sets. The custom version someone in here did by changing the colors looked even better :wink: also nice to see a that a large licensed set like the volvo loader can working pretty good without neither pneumatics and pf. The set i for sure gonna get is the forklift, sure some limited lifting height but it looks amazing.

The more I look at the video, the more I like this set!

Cam't wait for Sariel's review! Just looking for more and different views, more info.

i really hope Jim reviews this set as I really like his commentary and photos.

I am already sold!

Andy D

7 minutes ago, Andy D said:

The more I look at the video, the more I like this set!

Cam't wait for Sariel's review! Just looking for more and different views, more info.

i really hope Jim reviews this set as I really like his commentary and photos.

I am already sold!

Andy D

Looking forward to the reviews too! Can't wait to see how it actually works. :excited:

On 6/21/2018 at 7:37 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

If they would like to sell this set even better they should develope new (smaller) tractor tire to make it more realistic

21 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

If they would like to sell this set even better they should develope new (smaller) tractor tire to make it more realistic

As much as I want tractor tires smaller than those on the Claas, for this set they would have to be so small that the use for them in other machinery would be too limited. I could see them used for a wheeled excavator but other than that, I'm not so sure where I would want to see them used.

Edit:

Though I guess they could have increased the diameter with ~10mm to match the size of the 63mm diameter wheels used in the 8849 Tractor.

Edited by zoo

8 minutes ago, zoo said:

As much as I want tractor tires smaller than those on the Claas, for this set they would have to be so small that the use for them in other machinery would be too limited. I could see them used for a wheeled excavator but other than that, I'm not so sure where I would want to see them used.

Yes, but there are harvesters with 6 tires and for this scale 81mm tires would fit :wink: