2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Duh, of course those log bricks need a central axle. Otherwise they are prone to breaking apart and can't be picked up as one log piece.

Nope, I don't buy that. A forest harvester has to be able to cut logs to differing lengths. This means the harvester head has to be lined up PERFECTLY to slice the log, and with pneumatics I don't see that happening. :sadnew:

I think @allanp's mod would work wonders, though.

Catalogue shows the set comes with the following pneumatic items:

1x small pump

1x small cylinder

1x big thick cylinder

2x valves (of new type)

1 minute ago, zux said:

1x big thick cylinder

Two.

Edited by M_longer

Ah, my bad. Misread "2 x 11" as cylinder dimensions.

One of the thing I'm concerned about lately is how to reuse spare parts from B models. The 42078 B leaves me 8 small panels in DBG. I think I would bricklink parts to build the 42082 B. And I'd change all the dark green into DBG, so that the only prominent green is lime. Lime and DBG is quite a good combination, as evidenced in the 42054 Claas.

@Maaboo35

42080 A

Hình ảnh có liên quan

42080 B

Hình ảnh có liên quan

7 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

One of the thing I'm concerned about lately is how to reuse spare parts from B models. The 42078 B leaves me 8 small panels in DBG. I think I would bricklink parts to build the 42082 B. And I'd change all the dark green into DBG, so that the only prominent green is lime. Lime and DBG is quite a good combination, as evidenced in the 42054 Claas.

I think that TLG could be using the smaller, less common lime panels in preparation for something lime-coloured next year. Wonder if they are...? :look:

10 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Maaboo35

42080 A

42080 B

Great. Except neither model resembles either of them. Look at the wheels on the forwarder, they're all wrong - and the nose looks like a tank! Yuk. :sick:

I like it as a creative set for children.

Lot of colours, PF, pneumatics, eight wheels, two turntables, ...  sort of mini-42043 for kids.

I bet this one will be a best seller among the younger customers.

20 minutes ago, Fabiuz said:

Lot of colours, PF, pneumatics, eight wheels, two turntables, ...  sort of mini-42043 for kids.

...associative thinking, but your comparison with 42043 gives it some pun, too...

23 minutes ago, Fabiuz said:

I'm with @rener - that statement made me snort into my stir-fry. :iamded_lol:

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

@Ngoc Nguyen @Maaboo35 Those two photos are what should have been. It pains me that we didn’t get that.

+1 :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Since 42080 is not a licensed set, some distortion, or "creative liberty", must be exercised. @Maaboo35

Just... nope. 8283, anyone?

Sure, I like my 42043 a lot, it's a perfect set for an AFOL. I like my 8110 for the same reasons. Sure, they are not comparable to 42080 if you look at it from an adult point of view. But it's *our* point of view, guys.

Think as a smaller child, with limited budget, and you can see TLG point. This 42080 will offer a good parts and functions selection to free children fantasy.

You can laugh at the colour rainbow, or at the useless motorized pump where a manual pump would suffice, or the small chainsaw, or the dark green panel placement, or the fake cutting wheel. In fact, I laugh with you.

But if I was, dunno, 8 years old, I'd love those.  I know my daughter will love it, when old enough to play with technic. Much more than the Mercedes vehicles (or some dust-collecting cars).

And I am pretty sure TLG marketing dept. know their job, despite the occasional mistakes :tongue:

So... the b model; I'm sorry for anyone who was looking forward to something nice. This has got to be the worst b model I've ever seen. Saying there is modification potential is to say the least. 

This set is a major let down for finally introducing a new machine to the line up. 

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

So... the b model; I'm sorry for anyone who was looking forward to something nice. This has got to be the worst b model I've ever seen. Saying there is modification potential is to say the least. 

This set is a major let down for finally introducing a new machine to the line up. 

Well said to all of that. TLG have had a real chance to bring something new to the table, and they've blown it big time. :cry_sad:

I honestly don't get the complaints - both A and B model are good renditions of the real machines that @Ngoc Nguyen showed above, with the exception of colour.

I reckon they're both excellent in this respect. Sure, the colour maybe isn't ideal, but I like that they're mixing that up a bit as well.

3 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

I honestly don't get the complaints - both A and B model are good renditions of the real machines that @Ngoc Nguyen showed above, with the exception of colour.

I reckon they're both excellent in this respect. Sure, the colour maybe isn't ideal, but I like that they're mixing that up a bit as well.

The proportions are totally wrong and both models look clumsily designed, the B-model especially. And maybe the colour debate has been done to death by now, but that doesn't change the fact that this set still looks like a salad on wheels. What is with the two shades of green?! Do TLG have some big lime thing lined up for next year and so needed to disperse the panels a bit? Or is that the case with the normal green? Nothing makes sense with this model right now! :wacko:

Well both the 42080 A and B models use an on board compressor to compress fluid (air is a fluid) which is then directed via valves (new and improved no less) to cylinders which then move to do work. This is real authenticity from its mechanical core thats not just skin deep. But the colour choices make it look aweful. On the other hand 42081 looks nicer, but mechanically its dull and boring with no authenticity or realism at all, just a few hand cranked LAs. So if you want only looks go for the fantasy 42081 Ninjago digger. Ill pass on that. The colour vomit of 42080 sucks, but with its mechanical authenticity and improved parts its much better at being a Technic set.

19 minutes ago, allanp said:

Well both the 42080 A and B models use an on board compressor to compress fluid (air is a fluid) which is then directed via valves (new and improved no less) to cylinders which then move to do work. This is real authenticity from its mechanical core thats not just skin deep. But the colour choices make it look aweful. On the other hand 42081 looks nicer, but mechanically its dull and boring with no authenticity or realism at all, just a few hand cranked LAs. So if you want only looks go for the fantasy 42081 Ninjago digger. Ill pass on that. The colour vomit of 42080 sucks, but with its mechanical authenticity and improved parts its much better at being a Technic set.

I'll take the Ninjago digger, thanks. :sadnew:

While I don't have any problems with either models, I do agree that the B-model looks a bit weird due to its proportions.

I think the front looks a bit too big and massive while the cab looks a bit on the small side, at least it should have been a few studs longer.
The mounting points for the crane arm and the bed look way too high, at least for the bed, though it's due to the battery box which doesn't really fit anywhere else.
I also think the front/bonnet could have been shorter with the cab mounted 3-4 studs further forward and the seat above the front axle, giving a bit more space for the mounting of the crane arm which I feel should be a stud or two lower.

These are things I might try to mod if I buy the set.

Co-incidentally found this forwarder in a box.  It's hacked from two buggy / go-kart things, and is about 20 years old.

It's has one main function: push it along the floor :grin:  Even steering is 'true hand of god'.  Suspension is pretty good eh though. :wink:

Not sure that the colour scheme is worse

41086550280_2b94550d34.jpg

41086548180_7fc35ccc5a.jpg

1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

Co-incidentally found this forwarder in a box.  It's hacked from two buggy / go-kart things, and is about 20 years old.

It's has one main function: push it along the floor :grin:  Even steering is 'true hand of god'.  Suspension is pretty good eh though. :wink:

Not sure that the colour scheme is worse

This actually looks pretty good. Has better dimensions than 42080-B, and better colours! A unified colour scheme would add that final touch, but you can't have everything. :grin:

The rear half looks like it came from the Mud Masher, and the cab half is from the Forklift, both sets from 1998, so it's precisely 20 years old. :laugh:

Edited by Maaboo35
Added info